• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla: GG's new IP won't be at E3 - not ready to show yet

B.O.O.M

I'm talking about Sony Santa Monica basically killing an entire team of people making a game.

You are drawing parallels between Irrational games, a studio/team behind one of the most loved franchises in recent times to Stig's team whose game we never even saw. It's not the same situation at all. Some times you need to trim down for better results..it sucks for those affected for sure but it's nothing unique or uncommon

Alebrije

Pre E3 treads always deliver. On a few days we will know if all this paranoia / hype/ expectations were or not fundamented.

I am pretty sure Sony will have surprises, the ones that will melt people on movie theatres .

border

You realize that they are currently moving into a much bigger office, right?
They're going to get much bigger than before.
Just with new staff / fresh blood / a new team(s).

After having lost years of work and millions of dollars. The fact that they lost immense amounts of time and money but will continue on mean that it's almost literally the definition of a "setback", and yet people still get their panties in a twist seeing it categorized as such.

Pennywise

After having lost years of work and millions of dollars. It's almost literally the definition of a "setback", and yet people still get their panties in a twist seeing it categorized as such.

You were comparing it with the situation at Irrational Games which is bollocks.

Gotta admit that I'd be a little peeved it was ready, considering how long the wait has been for Killzone co-op, which is still not out yet. Just don't think that'd be the right kind of image to project.

Styles

I hope they have at LEAST one surprise announcement left. Project Beast would've been it had it not leak. I''ve become slightly jaded, but am still quite excited.

border

You were comparing it with the situation at Irrational Games which is bollocks.

TakeTwo actually saw some return on their investment with Bioshock Infinite and got to retain a valuable IP. The Sony Santa Monica thing is almost a complete loss. Which would kind of make it a much worse situation.

The two situations are not 1:1 comparable. My point is more that people aren't afraid to say that there's some troubling and upsetting things going on once you've removed the politics that come into play when talking about a 1st party platform holder's studios.

Massa

You realize that they are currently moving into a much bigger office, right?
They're going to get much bigger than before.
Just with new staff / fresh blood / a new team(s).

Are they? My understanding was that they let go 50+ people, including several veterans who shipped God of War 1, 2 and 3, after moving to a new office.

Regardless, I don't see how disbanding an experienced and talented team can be spun into a positive at all. I couldn't care less if they end up getting bigger, it won't be the same studio.

Andy Gavin?

Jason Rubin?

Cory Balrog before he rejoined?

Barlog and Jaffe never left SSM? Jason Rubin and Andy Gavin never left Naughty Dog?
No mass exodus at Naughty Dog during the pre-Uncharted 1 period?
Seriously? Do some research, buddy!
They didn't lose an entire team. Those situations are similar to Naughty Dog now with the three that left, while we have a Naughty Dog now situation on top of losing Stig, as well as his entire project and the second AAA team. If you guys see 2 + 2 = 7, then I can't help you.

TakeTwo actually saw some return on their investment with Bioshock Infinite and got to retain a valuable IP. The Sony Santa Monica thing is almost a complete loss. Which would kind of make it a much worse situation.

The two situations are not 1:1 comparable. My point is more that people aren't afraid to say that there's some troubling and upsetting things going on once you've removed the politics that come into play when talking about a 1st party platform holder's studios.

What troubling and upsetting things?

Pennywise

Are they? My understanding was that they let go 50+ people, including several veterans who shipped God of War 1, 2 and 3, after moving to a new office.

Regardless, I don't see how disbanding an experienced and talented team can be spun into a positive at all. I couldn't care less if they end up getting bigger, it won't be the same studio.

Simple ?
They sunk alot of money with a project that wasn't working, it's not unusual that even veterans were among those who left.
Partly, because they personally wanted to move on after they were working on a failure and the rest had to leave simply because it was a financial failure.
This isn't bound to the game industry, that happens nearly everywhere...

And while we're still at the comparsions with Irrational Games, they made money and still had to leave...

With nothing from MM or GG Sony's E3 isn't looking too good at the moment. Hope they have something surprising up their sleeve. If it's true that Project Beast was their ace there are going to be a lot of disappointed movie theatre goers. Pretty sure UC4 will look great but I want to see new IP.

SDCowboy

With nothing from MM or GG Sony's E3 isn't looking too good at the moment. Hope they have something surprising up their sleeve. If it's true that Project Beast was their ace there are going to be a lot of disappointed movie theatre goers. Pretty sure UC4 will look great but I want to see new IP.

*sigh* Again...

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
This thread has been extremely revealing. I now know that I would hate to spend the last day on Earth with a great many of you. If this is the type of panic that occurs over E3, especially since most of it is unnecessary, I cannot even imagine far more important matters.

border

We get it Border, the sky has fallen in your world.

I don't believe I've said that Sony is in absolutely horrible shape or that the sky is falling or that anyone is doomed. But I'm not so intent on sticking my head in the sand that I can pretend that the disruptions at Sony are just par for the course.

nib95

Banned

There's a post just a few above your's where Kagari states that Beast was not their ace. Be interesting to see if they have anything to top that, because that's a big ace.

B.O.O.M

They didn't lose an entire team. Those situations are similar to Naughty Dog now with the three that left, while we have a Naughty Dog now situation on top of losing Stig, as well as his entire project and the second AAA team. If you guys see 2 + 2 = 7, then I can't help you.

Ok now you're starting to get annoying..let me break this down for you

here's what you initially said

"A whole second AAA team was broken up and millions were lost, on top of losing one of the main creative directors in Stig. I have no idea how on earth they wouldn't be sweating that, on top of losing 1/3 biggest names at Naughty Dog and a few that followed suit. Sony will be fine, but don't try to downplay a few shitty situations for Sony."

see there's two sections to it. Not only do you think several people leaving is equal to 1/3 of the BIGGEST names leaving the team, you don't even remember your own statement just one post after it.

If you want to specifically focus on JUST the SSM situation then you should have done a better job writing your answer..that fault lies with you.

Different studios are structured differently. Until recently ND only had one team. PD only works on one franchise. SSM does many things. They have their own multiple projects and they also have smaller teams helping others.

When cutting down the workforce moving forward the biggest casualty will be those that didn't produce the result. So it's understandable if all the people that were laid off were of that stig project. but at the same time we have no proof this is the case. It could easily include other staff members that were considered redundant to them from other projects too.

So if you want to count 2+2 = tales out of your ass to justify some make belief unique gloom situation then by all means go right ahead Projects gets cancelled all the time. GOW 1 director left, GOW 2 director left (he has come back), GOW 3 (stig) has left and GOW:A director has left SSM in the recent history...and if history has taught you anything, they have moved on without much of an issue whatsoever.

This thread has been extremely revealing. I now know that I would hate to spend the last day on Earth with a great many of you. If this is the type of panic that occurs over E3, especially since most of it is unnecessary, I cannot even imagine far more important matters.

I enjoy these threads for the popcorn value.

But then at some point the stupidity takes over.

"Now that Project Beast had leaked, I'm no longer excited for it and it's no longer a megaton."

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

5amshift

Banned
Not sure what Sony is going to show apart from 2 games that are a total guess at this point. I would definitely like to see the trailer they have now later on in the future to see what we missed out on.

Bloodrage

Banned
I'm still very excited for the game, but it being leaked does remove the surprise from it being announced.
How? What difference does it make if it was announced today or next week? You still haven't played the game.

"Now that Project Beast had leaked, I'm no longer excited for it and it's no longer a megaton."

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?
Game announcements > actual games

Bundy

Banned
After having lost years of work and millions of dollars. The fact that they lost immense amounts of time and money but will continue on mean that it's almost literally the definition of a "setback", and yet people still get their panties in a twist seeing it categorized as such.
They're "rebooting" the studio. New people, new team, new heads, fresh blood.
Deal with it. Their unannounced game wasn't good enough and got canceled.
Therefore, they thought fresh blood/a change is needed.

Nothnig positive about it if people are losing their jobs.
There are enough devs out there that are "talented", too. You know?
"Not the same studio"? Well, no problem. Their last game wasn't good and got canceled.

People left Naughty Dog almost every day during the pre-U1 time, according to Naughty Dog. Give it up already. You're wrong.

Ok now you're starting to get annoying..
Exactly

I'm still very excited for the game, but it being leaked does remove the surprise from it being announced.

The surprise was just time-shifted. The megaton still happened, we have 2 monster threads to support that. E3 will just be the nuclear winter.

There's a post just a few above your's where Kagari states that Beast was not their ace. Be interesting to see if they have anything to top that, because that's a big ace.

So someone says it was, someone else says no. TLG would do it. If that was revealed I think some people would start crying. No MM game, no GG game and of course no SSM game still make a less anticipated Sony conference though.

Ateron

While the fact that Sony is having awesome sales numbers is good for them and the industry, I fear that they may become a little arrogant cause of that, like they don't need to show more games since they have the better console for playing third party titles.

It's not a case of being "doomed" or "ps4 has no games" but all these delays and whatnot are a little sad. They already have Project Beast, so it's all good for E3, and its not like I don't have anything else to play (will get Watch Dogs and Last of Us Remastered soon), but it seems everyone is delaying their games. Sony can't get to complacent, given the fact that the X1 is having a price cut and they're serious about turning the tables. I'm against showing a trailer now and release a game 2-3 years later, but there's gotta be a middle ground. Don't tease us with things you aren't planning to show/release anytime soon, it just dulls the impact.

I only have a ps4 as of now, and apart from Beast and MGS I'm not exactly excited about this year's Sony E3. Hope they have something up their sleeve, cause AC and BF:hardline is not gonna cut it. Hope I'm wrong though.

Salex_

With nothing from MM or GG Sony's E3 isn't looking too good at the moment. Hope they have something surprising up their sleeve. If it's true that Project Beast was their ace there are going to be a lot of disappointed movie theater goers. Pretty sure UC4 will look great but I want to see new IP.
I don't think Project Beast will be the only big reveal. It's the 20th anniversary of PlayStation, 30th anniversary of Naughty Dog, they got the theater E3 event, 5 new trademarks, and we don't know what many of their 1st party and partners are doing. I can't see them having a weak E3 especially when they didn't have a February event like last year.
---
I feel like people didn't see this or just flat out ignored it to scream doom because MM or GG might not reveal their new game at E3. This should give us an idea of what we may see. Of course, this doesn't include any new joint-projects with other studios. You can't predict that.

Ok, so we have the following IP's (what we know):
- Entwined
- Bloodborne
- KILL STRAIN
- Guns Up!

Studios, which we can count out (which are not the devs of the above mentioned IP's):
- Sony Santa Monica Studio (too soon)
- Guerrilla Cambridge / Cambridge Studio (too soon)
- Media Molecule (see Thread)
- Naughty Dog (Uncharted 4 + TLOU: Remastered)
- Sucker Punch (inFAMOUS: Second Son / DLC)
- Foster City Studio (doesn't make own games anymore)
- Sony Online Entertainment (PlanetSide 2, EverQuest Next/Landmark, H1Z1)
- Ready at Dawn (The Order: 1886 only)

So what is left:
- Sony Japan Studio (over 400 people / several teams)
- Sony London Studio (SingStar Team + Project Morpheus Team + another team/Unannounced title)
- Evolution Studios (DRIVECLUB only)
- Guerrilla Games (Killzone: Shadow Fall Team + Unannounced new IP)
- Sony Bend (1 Team / Unannounced new IP)
- Sony San Diego Studio (MLB The Show Team + Rumored Second team / Unannounced new IP)
- Polyphony Digital (two Studios, in two different towns --> Gran Turismo only, as it seems)
- Pixel Opus (new Sony Studio in San Mateo / one team / Unannounced new IP)

Second/Third Party working on SONY IP's:
- From Software (Project: Beast)
- Supermassive Games (Until Dawn)
- Giant Sparrow (Unannounced title)
- Quantic Dream (BEYOND team + Unannounced new IP)
- Clap Hanz (maybe "Everybody's Golf 7" for the PS4)
- The Chinese Room (Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture)
- Novarama Games (Working on an unannounced title / maybe Invizimals for PS4)
- Heavy Spectrum Entertainment Labs (Shadow of the Beast)
- Tequila Works (RIME)
- Housemarque (Resogun DLC + Unannounced title)
- Arrowhead Game Studios (HELLDIVERS)
- Honeyslug (Hohokum)
- Queasy Games (Sound Shapes)
- OVOSONICO (Murasaki Baby / VITA-only)
- Marvelous AQL (Soul Sacrifice / VITA-only)
- Shift (Freedom Wars / VITA-only)
- Dimps (Freedom Wars / VITA-only)
- Alfa System (Over My Dead Body 2 / VITA-only)
- On The Metal (BigFest / VITA-only)

So what do you say, guys? Who's doing what? ;-)
We thought "Entwined" could be Media Molecule's game. Seems like it isn't.
"Bloodborne" could be Project Beast/Demon Souls 2
"KILL STRAIN" could be Sony Bend's game.
"Guns Up!" ..... no idea. Maybe a new Ratchet?

Start the guesses ^_^

Analyzing Sony's E3 2014 games (what's likely):

- DriveClub was supposed to release at launch. After an 11 month delay, it's now Sony's big fall exclusive.
- The Order: 1886 was supposes to release this fall, not it's been delayed to 2015.
- Uncharted PS4 was already revealed back at VGX 2013.
- The Last Guardian was supposed to release back in 2011 as a PS3 game.
- Project Beast was leaked at the beginning of May.

Depressing.

add:
- 10 min AC Unity demo
- 10 min Destiny vehicular combat demo
- Sony Santa Monica new God of War

Bundy

Banned

New Sony Computer Entertainment trademarks:
Enwinded
Bloodborne
KILL STRAIN
Guns Up
Pixel Opus

Frolow

Banned
How? What difference does it make if it was announced today or next week? You still haven't played the game.

How? Um, it being leaked removes the surprise aspect. It's like telling a child what they're getting for Christmas; they'll still be excited, but they won't be surprised at all.

Project Beast will still be a great reveal regardless of it being leaked . But the difference being that since it was leaked beforehand, we know it'll be at Sony's Conference ahead of time and we can speculate what their other announcements will be.

While the fact that Sony is having awesome sales numbers is good for them and the industry, I fear that they may become a little arrogant cause of that, like they don't need to show more games since they have the better console for playing third party titles.

It's not a case of being "doomed" or "ps4 has no games" but all these delays and whatnot are a little sad. They already have Project Beast, so it's all good for E3, and its not like I don't have anything else to play (will get Watch Dogs and Last of Us Remastered soon), but it seems everyone is delaying their games. Sony can't get to complacent, given the fact that the X1 is having a price cut and they're serious about turning the tables. I'm against showing a trailer now and release a game 2-3 years later, but there's gotta be a middle ground. Don't tease us with things you aren't planning to show/release anytime soon, it just dulls the impact.

I only have a ps4 as of now, and apart from Beast and MGS I'm not exactly excited about this year's Sony E3. Hope they have something up their sleeve, cause AC and BF:hardline is not gonna cut it. Hope I'm wrong though.

If they were getting complacent, they would just have released the game in whatever state they are. They, however, gave the devs more time to polish the games.

If they were getting complacent, they would just have released the game in whatever state they are. They, however, gave the devs more time to polish the games.
No, dude. Arrogant Sony allows devs to complete their games. Arrogant Sony doesn't rush incomplete/unfinished products to market. Arrogant Sony unbundles a peripheral that has little gaming application. Arrogant Sony releases a more powerful console than their competitor at a lower price point. Arrogant Sony is back. It's all over.

B.O.O.M

add:
- 10 min AC Unity demo
- 10 min Destiny vehicular combat demo
- Sony Santa Monica new God of War

And the fact that we really don't know anything about the next uncharted..not even the actual title. Nothing about the story, setting, characters or anything.

Quality response. We already know Project Beast exists, and Sony's confirmed multiple times that The Last Guardian is still in development, so neither will be huge shocking announcements like Sony had last year. I'm not trying to say these aren't great announcements, I'm simply stating that at this rate I don't know if Sony still has many surprises left in stock.

Welp, we know Project Beast (not even by it's real name yet) exists, better pack it up we don't want that game anymore...(we don't even know yet how much more amazing it looks now after even more development lol). Though at least you're saying it's still a great announcement. Plus as said the threads we have are huge, it's surprise already had a big effect. Seeing a full trailer will probably produce another one.

I'd say judging from the responses in the Last Guardian threads that it would be a huge shocking surprise, lol (see some mod posts, DS9 TLG gif, etc.). Do it Sony!

Top Bottom