• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 has sold over 3 million copies since August, 2013 content plans outlined

Retro

Yeah, the downed system seemed like it could have been replaced easily with healing.

I like the game, really got into it for a couple months but paywall with Halloween really left a bad taste, trying to sPVP a couple times and we couldn't get in after 45 minutes (nobody else queing for tPVP).

I really enjoyed WvWvW, even if a majority of the time it was a zerg ... my problem? I couldn't afford it. As a Guardian I didn't really have a good ranged option. The drops being bags on the ground also ruined it if you were "in the moment" and running back 30 feet would get you caught by somebody outside of your group.

Plus the Que's ...

I will definitely go back to the game, it's one of the few that have stayed installed on my SSD. But the dungeons were not for me, WAY too zergy and I felt like I was really not helping the group whatsoever (even though I was with DPS). But that might come from playing a main tank in WoW for years.

I was really glad they got rid of the trinity, but it's so engraved into my playstyle that they need something that will change my perception of the game ... and just zerging everything isn't that. Yes, there are definite tactics to most encounters, things you can do ... but when it comes down to it I felt I was just hitting the same 5 buttons over and over.

If you quit playing before Halloween, you should know that the WvW Queues are much better, Wintersday was much improved and the 'paywall' was pretty much non-existent, and the new Fractals dungeon is really impressive (and suggests that the forthcoming dungeon revamp will much improve that aspect).

Maybe log in and give it a try after the January update (which has a lot of fixes and upgrades, from the sound of things). Not like you have to re-sub or anything.

Lunar15

Well, most people don't like boring classes with long cooldowns and massively situational abilities. I'm just offering advice.

Awww... I like Guardian. But yeah, I completely understand this. Warrior is good if you want to try a ton of different weapons, and elementalist seems to be great for sheer variety.

Valnen

I'm playing as a support based Warrior (using shouts to buff and heal and a shield for survivability) and having a blast. The trick is that you can't simply stand back and support everyone, you're involved as part of the fray, too.

Problem is, being a part of that fray isn't fun for everyone. Especially when the combat itself isn't very flashy or fun. Some people really want a healing focused character and can't have one.

Retro

Problem is, being a part of that fray isn't fun for everyone. Especially when the combat itself isn't very flashy or fun.

Staff Elementalist, from what I've played of it, seems like it is pretty much ranged support. But honestly, if you just want to sit back and press buttons, never getting involved with the actual fight, maybe the game just isn't for you.

Luckily, there are a shitload of other MMOs that will let you do exactly that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Problem is, being a part of that fray isn't fun for everyone. Especially when the combat itself isn't very flashy or fun. Some people really want a healing focused character and can't have one.
They can. They're just difficult builds to create/discover. Bunker/support elementalists do this pretty well.

Pro

Reading through this thread it sounded to me like a lot of people hit level 80 and stopped playing because there was a lack of end game content. But the end game content to pretty much any MMO ultimately amounts to obtaining the best weapons and armor in the game. Given what it takes to craft legendary weapons and armor in GW2, and apply the best runes/sigils, etc...I'd say there's plenty of content. Not to mention obtaining all of the achievement banners. Work towards this and there's plenty of stuff to play for. And if you want to go the cheap route and buy what you need from the Trading Post, it still takes a lot of play time to amass the gold you need.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Reading through this thread it sounded to me like a lot of people hit level 80 and stopped playing because there was a lack of end game content. But the end game content to pretty much any MMO ultimately amounts to obtaining the best weapons and armor in the game. Given what it takes to craft legendary weapons and armor in GW2, and apply the best runes/sigils, etc...I'd say there's plenty of content. Not to mention obtaining all of the achievement banners. Work towards this and there's plenty of stuff to play for. And if you want to go the cheap route and buy what you need from the Trading Post, it still takes a lot of play time to amass the gold you need.

I'd say WvW is excellent endgame content. I'd spend all my time in WvW if it weren't for the need to get gold for things.

If you quit playing before Halloween, you should know that the WvW Queues are much better, Wintersday was much improved and the 'paywall' was pretty much non-existent, and the new Fractals dungeon is really impressive (and suggests that the forthcoming dungeon revamp will much improve that aspect).

Maybe log in and give it a try after the January update (which has a lot of fixes and upgrades, from the sound of things). Not like you have to re-sub or anything.

Yeah, I definitely plan on coming back. Just taking a break for a bit enjoying some other games. I would say I played up until around Xmas, they did have Fractals in.

Join the guild if you want a great base of people to play with. Feel free to PM me anytime if you have questions.

What is this?

I agree, the guild was awesome and probably one of the best parts of playing the game for me, it's why I'll be coming back eventually ...

The paywall thing was just how they handled the chests and the keys. The drops for the skins and such, I mean ... I totally understand it, but it just sucked to spend money and a lot of time to come away with nothing (but isn't that just what MMOs are, lol!). Other than that the Halloween events were pretty fun. I didn't get to finish it but I did enjoy it for the most part.

Again, this is still one of my favorite games of last year, I just felt they didn't deliver on some things I wanted to see. It's why I took a break so I don't burn myself out and then not be able to enjoy new content when they add it.

I'd say WvW is excellent endgame content. I'd spend all my time in WvW if it weren't for the need to get gold for things.

Exactly. It was just too expensive because I died too much. It was hard to find a group to roll with and be able to que with in general so a lot of the time I was running solo (as in with pugs in a group, not just running around all by my lonesome).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Exactly. It was just too expensive because I died too much. It was hard to find a group to roll with and be able to que with in general so a lot of the time I was running solo (as in with pugs in a group, not just running around all by my lonesome).

Well they're improving rewards so hopefully that helps the money situation. Also, if you have trouble finding people to roll with in WvW, join a WvW guild on your server. Since you can be in multiple guilds, there's no harm in joining one at all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ah, I know a lot of people were upset with the drop rates on the chests for Halloween, but it was just bizarre to hear it described as a paywall. I got everything I wanted from Halloween without spending any money, except the scythe (which I think Adriaaa got without spending any money? Though I don't know his gem spending habits so don't quote me on that), which I could've gone for but I had a lot to get done while the event was on ;)

Still so happy with my Mad King runes to this day despite the bug, lol

Durante

Pretty much. I don't know if it differs much with the server you are on, but at least on my server WvWvW is the logical evolution of DAoC RvR that I always wanted, and the one type of gameplay that only MMOs can provide.
It's not perfect, but the whole system with the importance of supply, siege weapons, control points and even the verticality of the maps is extremely well set up.

However, in terms of end-game content, the fractals are also pretty fun. I hope they add more of them.

Retro

However, in terms of end-game content, the fractals are also pretty fun. I hope they add more of them.

Considering they're bite-sized dungeons, I would be very surprised if they didn't just toss a new one into the mix every couple of months.

birdchili

I've gotten maybe five of those over the course of levelling my character and I've been able to open most of them without paying a cent.
i've dumped probably 15+ black lion chests on the ground. i think i've seen two keys total so-far.

i wish i could set something in my interface that just made me never get them.

I just picked this up an hour ago.
Any advice for a noob going in?

explore visually rather than with your eyes glued to your map. you'll find more stuff, and almost surely have more fun. (that said, the map is first-rate)

Pro

And there's also explorer mode in the main dungeons, high level area events, dragon battles, jumping puzzles, all of which can give you good drops you can use for a variety of things.

It's because they don't want this:

48jznr.png

If it's just pulling four other friends together you get in and play. If playing whack-a-mole with green bars was your idea of fun that's great but not enough other people seemed to like it as much as you.
The thing is, they could easily have solved this problem in a multitude of ways, including letting every class switch between roles freely (or letting you switch class freely, for that matter).

Plus playing healer doesn't have to be 'playing whack-a-mole with green bars', as TERA aptly proves with its combat system. Easily the most fun you can ever have playing as a healer, in any game.

The thing is, they could easily have solved this problem in a multitude of ways, including letting every class switch between roles freely (or letting you switch class freely, for that matter).

Plus playing healer doesn't have to be 'playing whack-a-mole with green bars', as TERA aptly proves with its combat system. Easily the most fun you can ever have playing as a healer, in any game.

Yup they just needed to tweak skills to allow more trinity like play. They also needed to add in a proper aggro system into the game to make such a system work, as currently aggro is a coin toss and hence the chaos.

You can essentially skill and gear spec a character to play a specific role, but without actual aggro system to organize an encounter, it doesn't make much difference. The tank can't tanks, healers can't properly support as they get chewed on while a person can't pull enemies off them consistently, etc.

Lunar15

Yup they just needed to tweak skills to allow more trinity like play. They also needed to add in a proper aggro system into the game to make such a system work, as currently aggro is a coin toss and hence the chaos.

Now THIS I agree with. Most of the potential of the game's system is lost due to an unclear aggro system.

Now THIS I agree with. Most of the potential of the game's system is lost due to an unclear aggro system.

I ended up figuring out that it was the amount of "threat" delivered over the past X number of seconds. I never quite figured out what number X was but I knew if I just sat there blocking for more than a few seconds I would get quickly overwhelmed in the threat stakes by the DPS and so I'd be constantly looking for openings to deliver a few strikes.

Or are we not talking about TERA in this instance?

Pro

You can essentially skill and gear spec a character to play a specific role, but without actual aggro system to organize an encounter, it doesn't make much difference. The tank can't tanks, healers can't properly support as they get chewed on while a person can't pull enemies off them consistently, etc.

If it were meant to play like a traditional Holy Trinity system then I agree, but the 5 person builds can be tweaked accordingly (and on the fly) for each boss. The Golem in Sorrow's Embrace comes to mind. Each build should have been geared towards no condition damage and removing status effects. Self heals would be fine then. A Mesmer/Guardian together in that fight would rock for support. And having to constantly be on the move to dodge attacks adds more challenge than just tanking in one location and repeating a sequence of skills.

Unfortunately for me, my group seems to always consist of 2 Eles, 2 Rangers, and 1 Engineer which makes things more difficult. I'm rolling a Mesmer now for a different experience.

birdchili

You target with a reticle and fire off the heal. Healers really play a lot more like Forces from PSO. Since the only damage you need to heal is when your tank/dps are being stupid you end up with a lot more time to DPS anyway.
so just like AoE spellcasting against your own party then? (i haven't played pso)

having allies not-selectable in gw2 was a good idea, frankly. i haven't done enough coordinated group play to know if it's less fun than a more conventional trinity setup, but it does feel that there's not enough diversity in tactics required between enemy types (partly i think this is a side-effect of the weapon system that gives only a handful of core abilities for each build).

Trey

Anet reneging on removing the trinity from their MMO will be extremely disappointing. I like the freedom GW2's combat offers.

Arken2121

All these posts about how terrible removing the trinity could not be more far from the truth. It's so damn easy finding a group. No one asks for specific classes At ALL. This is amazing. You now have to take responsibility for yourself in combat instead of relying on a healer/tank. This is amazing and they can only make it better.

Even if you grant that the game could work without the trinity, it just doesn't. They need better, more visible tells (most of them get lost in all the spell effects and whatnot), attacks with more start-up and recovery frames (many attacks have almost none whatsoever, making dodging more of a crapshoot than it needs to be), dodges with shorter cooldowns and fewer invincibility frames OR an active block/parry system... these things alone would benefit the combat tremendously IMO.

As it is, it occupies such a weird and unintuitive halfway point between 'traditional MMO' and 'action combat' that makes it incredibly hard to grasp for anyone other than the most dedicated players.

so just like AoE spellcasting against your own party then? (i haven't played pso)
Yup.

There's several ways to apply heals in Tera. For mystics only, they can actually cast a spell that drops a healing orb that teammates have to pick up. Then there's the spells that require you to highlight one or two targets and then release the spell, a spell that casts a small circular AoE roughly 15 feet in front of you, a spell that casts a large AoE directly in front of you (which means you have to get into danger range), and a spell that casts a large AoE all around you (again, requires you to get dangerously close). Basically, you can't be passive and watch health bars all day long, you actually have to keep stock of where your teammates are and what the enemy is doing or you'll get both you AND your teammates killed.

It's incredibly fun. I already knew I wanted to play a healer for the game when I read about how it works and I didn't regret it for a minute.

Vyrance

I haven't played in over a month because the WvWvW was just ignored pretty much. Hopefully the changes to it hits soon. At the time I just couldn't get myself to log on for hours and hours every day to the same thing over and over again. Hopefully they add a lot of stuff to it because WvWvW was pretty much 90% of what I did in the game.

Einbroch

Banned
As it is, it occupies such a weird and unintuitive halfway point between 'traditional MMO' and 'action combat' that makes it incredibly hard to grasp for anyone other than the most dedicated players.

And that's exactly the problem. But I've made my point very clear in GW2 threads, so I won't delve deeper.

Orayn

Having played GW2 with the "combat mode" AutoHotkey script that adds a crosshair, enables mouselook all the time, and allows skills to be bound to mouse buttons, it would be distrubingly easy for ArenaNet to make this a built-in feature and bridge that gap to action combat. It works so well that I almost wonder if this was originally planned for GW2 and taken out later on.

Trey

Having played GW2 with the "combat mode" AutoHotkey script that adds a crosshair, enables mouselook all the time, and allows skills to be bound to mouse buttons, it would be distrubingly easy for ArenaNet to make this a built-in feature and bridge that gap to action combat. It works so well that I almost wonder if this was originally planned for GW2 and taken out later on.

Someone data mined the game and found icons for an Xbox controller, so it appears highly likely.

Probably will be implemented in full down the road.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Someone data mined the game and found icons for an Xbox controller, so it appears highly likely.

Probably will be implemented in full down the road.

Console release was mentioned same for Blade and Soul. NC soft are probably happy enough with game now that it has about 3 million in4 months and these types of games tend to slow but surely over the years. E.g gw1 eventually reaching 7 million sold over 4 games. They'll probably be interested in more places to sell the game e.g an asian release and maybe consoles.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Absoloutely no way it sees a console release. I think he meant it indicated support for the Xbox Controller on PC, which is wholly possible and a great idea (and how I play the game right now).

Orayn

A console release is hypothetically possible on Durango and Orbis if Microsoft and Sony get a lot more progressive about patching and updates, but I wouldn't count on that being the case.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Absoloutely no way it sees a console release. I think he meant it indicated support for the Xbox Controller on PC, which is wholly possible and a great idea (and how I play the game right now).

Sure it's unlikely, but I'm pretty sure Blade and soul like FFXIV, was designed from the begining to have a console release. If NCSoft see's it through and it's successful there may be a small chance it come to next consoles.

A console release is hypothetically possible on Durango and Orbis if Microsoft and Sony get a lot more progressive about patching and updates, but I wouldn't count on that being the case.

TBF that probably isn't the issue we've have console mmo's before DC universe and now FFXiV the issue would controls and game size.

Xiaoki

Anet reneging on removing the trinity from their MMO will be extremely disappointing. I like the freedom GW2's combat offers.

ArenaNet never intended to remove the "trinity", they intended to change it.

The Trinity in Guild Wars 2 is Damage, Control and Support.

The unfortunate part is that only the Damage role is widely represented, the Control and Support roles are most decidedly neglected.

I do wonder how people can be such big fans of GW2 but still be completely ignorant of the game's features.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sure it's unlikely, but I'm pretty sure Blade and soul like FFXIV, was designed from the begining to have a console release. If NCSoft see's it through and it's successful there may be a small chance it come to next consoles.
Oh for Blade and Soul it's totally possible. I thought it was still a possibility on this generation.

If we consider next gen platforms then okay not absolutely no chance.

The unfortunate part is that only the Damage role is widely represented, the Control and Support roles are most decidedly neglected.

I do wonder how people can be such big fans of GW2 but still be completely ignorant of the game's features.
Not neglected by all my friend!
jPsB4b5tMghdn.jpg

I'll be doing this for each of my characters.

Trey

Shit would be dope. GW2 being a next gen launch title would explode the playerbase, and GW2 is one of the friendler MMOs to have been released. Granted if tool tips get implemented.

For all intents and purpose it was removed. The principle of the trinity is requiring a group to have predetermined roles that work in machine-like harmony with one another. That chain is shattered by removing the healer role from the game and featuring an active dodge button, forcing self sufficiency in a way that is antithetical of the trinity's design.

Top Bottom