• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Announcement

spiritfox

About dungeon design I think GW2 should learn from Destiny.

Everyone are DPS in Destiny but each classes have ability that useful in raid. (Barrier, Resurrection, Stealth etc.)

No tank problem ? Fine, pick up this shield and become a tank !

IMO, Destiny has the best group encounter design for a game without holy trinity.

But it already does that. Reflects from Guards and Mesmers, Stealth from Thieves, everyone can res, and you can even increase party DPS through Might stacking with Engies or Eles. The issue with dungeons in GW2 are that the encounters are poorly designed and can be easily cheesed. The more recent fights in season 2 of the Living World show better AI and more tactics, which is a good step forward. However, Anet pretty much lost their dungeon team, so I don't know if they'll go back and rework the old dungeons.

DJIzana

I wonder how specializations work in Heart of Thorns as well. Like... Would becoming a druid allow you to shapeshift or would it just only give a few new skills?

Curious as to what new weapon types the Ranger has access to as well as that's what I played. Wouldn't mind dual wielding on my Ranger. It's been so long since I played I can't even remember if that's even an option. I just used the long bow but I do want to try out different things. Even on the other characters I had made.

But it already does that. Reflects from Guards and Mesmers, Stealth from Thieves, everyone can res, and you can even increase party DPS through Might stacking with Engies or Eles. The issue with dungeons in GW2 are that the encounters are poorly designed and can be easily cheesed. The more recent fights in season 2 of the Living World show better AI and more tactics, which is a good step forward. However, Anet pretty much lost their dungeon team, so I don't know if they'll go back and rework the old dungeons.
They fired the guy who designed all those terrible instances.

With that said, I think arenanet pretty much thinks dungeons are not in their future.

Retro

An interview with Massively revealed an important detail in how Mastery works;
To move forward with mastery, Guild Wars 2 players will need to earn mastery points. And unlike the experience points of old, mastery points won't simply rain from the heavens every time a player completes a simple task. Says O'Brien, "The way that you earn mastery points is, I think, a very Guild Wars 2 way to earn mastery points: You do really really hard things that you on your account have never done before." The earning of these mastery points is tied directly into Guild War's 2's living world philosophy; new ways to earn mastery points will accompany the new content that releases in the wake of Heart of Thorns.

The introduction of the mastery system also helps ArenaNet solve the problem of existing content. Challenges awarding mastery points will be introduced to the core Guild Wars 2 world, meaning old content won't simply become a blur as players rush through to get to the expansion stuff. O'Brien notes that ArenaNet is being careful to include mastery points all over the current Guild Wars 2 landmass, explaining, "We're going to keep evolving the world, and we intentionally picked a strategy where it's not leaving behind a wasteland."

Thus, Mastery is not a "Jungle only" thing that has no relevance outside the new zones.

I wonder how specializations work in Heart of Thorns as well. Like... Would becoming a druid allow you to shapeshift or would it just only give a few new skills?

Curious as to what new weapon types the Ranger has access to as well as that's what I played. Wouldn't mind dual wielding on my Ranger. It's been so long since I played I can't even remember if that's even an option. I just used the long bow but I do want to try out different things. Even on the other characters I had made.

Here's a transcript of what was said during the Announcement:
Colin Johanson said:
Along with that, when a ranger becomes a druid, they will have access to a new heal skill, a new elite skill, a new set of utility skills, and most importantly, new profession mechanics that fundamentally change the way the ranger plays if they turn into a druid.

The "new profession mechanics" bit makes it sound like there will be a shift in how the entire class behaves. The rangers' current profession mechanic are their pets, so it sounds like Druid might change that somehow or even potentially replace it. It could be shape-shifting (though that seems a little unoriginal) or whatever. The trailer showed a Staff Ranger still commanding his pet though, so we'll just have to wait and see.

It sounds like Staff will be the only new weapon type Rangers gain (I've seen several places mention that it's one weapon per Specialization), but it's fairly obvious that Specialization is a platform that they'll utilize to add more alternative advancement / progression to the existing professions.

Arken2121

Excellent presentation for an excellent game. Having played over 4300 hours across my account it's nice to see something refreshing coming to the game in the coming months. My biggest hope is that the trait system gets a complete overhaul. Static bonuses are incredibly boring.

DJIzana

An interview with Massively revealed an important detail in how Mastery works;

Thus, Mastery is not a "Jungle only" thing that has no relevance outside the new zones.

Here's a transcript of what was said during the Announcement:

The "new profession mechanics" bit makes it sound like there will be a shift in how the entire class behaves. The rangers' current profession mechanic are their pets, so it sounds like Druid might change that somehow or even potentially replace it. It could be shape-shifting (though that seems a little unoriginal) or whatever. The trailer showed a Staff Ranger still commanding his pet though, so we'll just have to wait and see.

It sounds like Staff will be the only new weapon type Rangers gain (I've seen several places mention that it's one weapon per Specialization), but it's fairly obvious that Specialization is a platform that they'll utilize to add more alternative advancement / progression to the existing professions.

Thanks for clarifying!

It's funny... I showed all my friends the trailer and they all want to jump back in. Sounds like a lot of game changing mechanics that I like.

I'm actually rather surprised the level of interest my friends have in the expansion. The fact the game is buy to play is a nice addition as well.

I really hope they plan to add more expansions. Even if they don't add new areas in content patches then I can always count on expansions.

Did they mention how many specializations each profession gets?

Retro

Thanks for clarifying!

No problem, that's why we made a thread on gaming side in the first place; expansions are attention-grabbers and there's a lot of potentially new or returning players with lots of questions (and lots of dis/misinformation to correct, but we'll side step that for now).

I really hope they plan to add more expansions. Even if they don't add new areas in content patches then I can always count on expansions.

They've added two fairly impressive zones in the last season of Living Story, so I don't think you need to worry about them not expanding the world without an expansion.

You have played since they added the Silverwastes zone, right? It's so damn good, definitely wade back in if you've got an 80 and can spare the bandwidth to reinstall.

Did they mention how many specializations each profession gets?

Not yet. Supposedly one the the Youtube commentators asked about it last night and was told it's one per profession initially (with more specializations to be added later), but I don't have a source on that info so I can't say for sure. It does sound about right though.

DJIzana

They've added two fairly impressive zones in the last season of Living Story, so I don't think you need to worry about them not expanding the world without an expansion.

You have played since they added the Silverwastes zone, right? It's so damn good, definitely wade back in if you've got an 80 and can spare the bandwidth to reinstall.

Not yet. Supposedly one the the Youtube commentators asked about it last night and was told it's one per profession initially (with more specializations to be added later), but I don't have a source on that info so I can't say for sure. It does sound about right though.

I actually haven't played since they introduced fractals. It'll be good to return though. I will likely install it later this week to see what I've missed and good to know about them adding new zones.

I think the Druid Specialization interests me the most unless there's something even better. Curious about the ones for the other classes I have though. =)

I'm wondering if they'll make a way for dervishes to come back. IIRC (haven't played in a WHILE) Necros have an effect added to their staves that give them a scythe like appearance, and I can see them working their skills into Guardian. Hrm.

@ BattleMonkey, I am sorry you feel that way. It's nearly the opposite for me.

I'm wondering if they'll make a way for dervishes to come back. IIRC (haven't played in a WHILE) Necros have an effect added to their staves that give them a scythe like appearance, and I can see them working their skills into Guardian. Hrm.

H3Xanti, I unfortunately think it won't happen mate. The story seems to revolve around the idea that the human gods have abandoned them, and left them stranded. The Dervish profession would take upon the avatar of the gods. It was a really cool idea, but it seems to be living on in the new Revenant profession.

Only he does not take the form of the human gods, but different powerful deities in the lore. One of them was the legendary Dwarf, and another is a crazed Monkey-God thing. When you take on the different forms as the Revenant you will get a new set of skills, so it seems the mechanic works a bit like a Dervish.

But will they use a staff? That will be interesting to figure out.

I can also only speculate on what a Necro will turn into with a Greatsword. Since they are cloth wearing and light armored, do you really see them as Death Knights? I imagined more something like .. Actually Revenant seems more like a Light armored profession to me.

@ BattleMonkey, I am sorry you feel that way. It's nearly the opposite for me.

H3Xanti, I unfortunately think it won't happen mate. The story seems to revolve around the idea that the human gods have abandoned them, and left them stranded. The Dervish profession would take upon the avatar of the gods. It was a really cool idea, but it seems to be living on in the new Revenant profession.

Only he does not take the form of the human gods, but different powerful deities in the lore. One of them was the legendary Dwarf, and another is a crazed Monkey-God thing. When you take on the different forms as the Revenant you will get a new set of skills, so it seems the mechanic works a bit like a Dervish.

But will they use a staff? That will be interesting to figure out.

I can also only speculate on what a Necro will turn into with a Greatsword. Since they are cloth wearing and light armored, do you really see them as Death Knights? I imagined more something like .. Actually Revenant seems more like a Light armored profession to me.

My favorite 3 classes in GW1 were Ritualist, Dervish and Paragon, unfortunately none of them made it into 2 but the new class looks like it might have some ritualist/dervish style to it. I'd love if that was the case, I loved the idea of mesmer but just didn't find it fun to play in 2.

Retro

Hey, good news everyone;
We will extend the sale until 9:00 AM Pacific time (5:00 PM/17:00 GMT) so that you are able to take advantage of the special sale price for Guild Wars 2. (source)
I'll update the countdown timer in the OP accordingly;
t1422291600z4.png

Retro

No way. If this is 5 zones and a few new features it will not match the cost of an entire game. It's going to be $20-$30.

It's a better price point to be sure, and I wouldn't object to it being cheaper than expected. Like I said though, just guessing.

DJIzana

Well I'm not going to buy it for more than $30, and even that much is pushing it.

Gotta remember it's buy to play and no subscription fee. I think that's a fair price.

This is coming from someone that's stopped playing Guild Was 2 (and will go back with the expansion) that currently plays FFXIV.

Though... I feel FFXIV's expansion offers more, I think Heart of Thorns offers some great things too and especially ones for a boxed copy and a game that releases content patches far more frequently than FFXIV does.

Alastor3

I really really REALLY like the first game but haven't played as much of the second game. I feel like there is not enough sense of progression with the skills and I feel I just stagnate with the ones I have already. I remember GW1 with hundred of skills (yes there was a lot of copy pasta) but still it was a nice. But I do like the jumping puzzles in the game. I think I stopped played 2 years ago after beating the halloween tower puzzle, damn it was nice, but I was playing GW2 only for the jumping puzzle at the end...

Retro

"IGN: How Guild Wars 2’s Mastery System Could Change MMOs Forever"

New Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SSed8tYnek

What we've really done is try to make a system that works a little bit more like what we've seen in console games like Metroid or Zelda where the progression systems feel a little more natural, feel a little more integrated with the environment and content and allow you to interact with the world around you,” explains Cartwright of the feature’s inspirations. “We feel like there's a little bit more satisfaction to that style of progression rather than a nice curve that's slowly going up as you're levelling and creatures are getting more difficult.”

“With combat, it’ll be more like a reveal like you might see in a game like Zelda where there’s a feeling like wow, I got this tool and now I remember when I was trying to fight this creature before I couldn't get past this one ability; this tool clearly tells me this is the key to that lock and now I'm going to open it,” adds Mastery design lead Crystin Cox. “That feeling is one of the things we're really going: now I have more power, not because a number went up but because I can actually do this thing.”

Zeroth

GW2 is now better than Super Metroid confirmed!

Seriously though, I'm looking toward these new changes. They have some great minds behind this expansion

So I've read through the supposed changes in multiple places now (and it's possible I've scanned over it multiple times), and I still have one major question:

Is there any estimate on how many new skills are going to be added with the expac? Lack of skill variety is literally the only thing keeping me from playing GW2 regularly.

Hyunashi

So I've read through the supposed changes in multiple places now (and it's possible I've scanned over it multiple times), and I still have one major question:

Is there any estimate on how many new skills are going to be added with the expac? Lack of skill variety is literally the only thing keeping me from playing GW2 regularly.

Well as a minimum I would say 5 new weapon skills (through a new weapon per class), and then a new heal, 3 new utilities and a new elite. In terms of skill variety? Doubt its gonna change much.

Ramza

Banned
GW2 is now better than Super Metroid confirmed!

Seriously though, I'm looking toward these new changes. They have some great minds behind this expansion

GW2 has been the best MMO I've ever played as far as world evolution and feature updates. If all the content they've given us so far is free, I can't WAIT to see everything that Heart of Thorns brings.

Well as a minimum I would say 5 new weapon skills (through a new weapon per class), and then a new heal, 3 new utilities and a new elite. In terms of skill variety? Doubt its gonna change much.

That's what I feared. Guess I'm playing the original, still.

Cathcart

Well as a minimum I would say 5 new weapon skills (through a new weapon per class)

Not if the class only gets a new off hand weapon, like mesmer getting shield.

Have they said if existing weapon skills might change in the spec, though? I guess it's possible they could change main hand abilities to go with whatever shield brings.

Retro

Nobody knows yet.

Specialization is supposed to give each profession new heal, utility and elite skills in addition to new traits and weapon selection. Since specialization is supposed to add an entirely new profession mechanic, that in itself may drastically alter how the base skills work (someone did a great writeup on Reddit about that, here's the link).

If you're expecting a return to the Guild Wars 1 days, that's simply not going to happen. The developers have commented repeatedly how difficult it was to balance and maintain that system where hundreds of skills (many of them copies or subtle variations on each other) simply isn't feasible.

Have they said if existing weapon skills might change in the spec, though?

They have not, it looks like this week is focusing on Mastery, but supposedly they're going to cover a new topic each week so.... stay tuned. I'll bump this thread with any large updates and continue adding them to the Articles and Media section of the OP.

Retro

New blog post:
Journey into the Heart of Maguuma in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

When you first venture into the jungle, you’ll find that events in the area are tied to what’s happening at a specific site. These locations are our new content outposts, which we’re using to bring individual events together into a larger, more comprehensive experience.

Outposts are content structures that broadly explain and contextualize the consequences of localized groups of dynamic events. If you’ve been to the Silverwastes, you’ve seen a forerunner of this concept at each tower. In the Silverwastes, each tower helps the Pact prepare for its assault, and your successes and failures at each tower affect the sort of events you’ll see around you. In the Heart of Maguuma, you’ll have a similar experience with outposts, which are always vital to preparing for the secondary phase of each map. They may even continue to play an important role during that time.

Adventures are the next level of repeatable, on-demand content challenges in the open world. While events remain the core experience within the open world, players will also unlock adventures as they make progress at an outpost.

Nearly any activity, minigame, or challenge you can imagine in Guild Wars 2 could be an adventure. The key difference is that adventures have their own UI, much like events, and offer some amount of active challenge. For example, rather than completing a jumping puzzle, an adventure may challenge you to complete that puzzle in a certain amount of time. Unlike events, however, individual performance is tracked and measured. It’s a challenge for you to overcome. Your performance in adventures will be scored, and you’ll be able to see—and test yourself against—the scores of your friends and guildmates. Because adventures take place in the open world, you’ll see other players working to overcome the same challenges as you, and in many cases you’ll be able to work and excel together.

And one announced for tomorrow;
Check back tomorrow to learn how these tie into our reimagined progression system, Masteries.

Ashodin

http://www.tentonhammer.com/news/gu...layers-‘first-look’-guild-wars-2-heart-thorns

ArenaNet Invites Players for a ‘First Look’ at Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns later today to dive into the Heart Of Maguuma as well as Masteries. The studio is inviting fans to learn more about the Masteries system, its new vision for endgame progression in an MMO, and journey deeper into the Heart of Maguuma jungle, the new environment that serves as the main setting in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns. Yesterday ArenaNet released the first of two blog posts discussing the Heart Of Maguuma in a little more detail and today, according to the press release, there will be a second detailing the Mastery system in more depth. As well as that, there's a livestream over on the official Twitch channel at 12 p.m. PST tomorrow.

Rubi Bayer and Expansion Content Designers Anthony Ordon and Steve Hwang will journey into the Heart of Maguuma and discuss the new mastery system. Popular streamers Richie “Bog Otter” Procopio and Aurora Peachy will also be livestreaming their own special Guild Wars 2 programming before and after “Points of Interest,” with pre-show starting at 11 a.m. PST on the Guild Wars 2 Twitch channel. Here's the official press release regarding the Heart Of Maguuma and the Mastery System.

THE HEART OF MAGUUMA

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns picks up where Season 2 left off, with players journeying deeper into the Heart of Maguuma to find out what happened to the pact fleet. The jungle environment, composed of three biomes, brings an element of verticality that directly influences the gameplay. Players will need to learn new masteries like hang-gliding and mushroom jumping to traverse different levels in the jungle.

One of the first maps players will experience within the deep jungle will feature survivors from the Pact Fleet who spend the daytime fortifying and repairing their positions. When nighttime rolls around, however, the map will enter a secondary phase in which the Mordrem masses attempt to overwhelm the Pact defenders. Assisting outposts like these will be vital in the dynamic environment, as they can be leveled up and will be essential in preparing for secondary phases of new areas. A new adventure system will provide challenges for players to earn high scores in nearly any activity, minigame or challenge imaginable in the game world.

THE MASTERY SYSTEM

Players left wondering what is next for their maxed out characters will be pleased to hear about Heart of Thorns’ new mastery system, a progression system that respects players’s time and effort by allowing them to grow their level 80 characters in new ways. Masteries grant meaningful powers to characters, like the ability to hang glide or jump on mushrooms to traverse the Heart of Maguuma faster and get to previously unreachable areas. Specific masteries will be earned from experience gained in PvE regions that are tied to those skills. Masteries will be leveled up on separate tracks, allowing for multiple tiers and simultaneous progression on multiple masteries.

Masteries must first be unlocked with Mastery points, which are gained from tasks like completing a chapter in a character’s story, completing achievements, finding secret locations, defeating difficult enemies, performing well in the new adventure system and earning 100 percent completion in maps. New characters can accumulate mastery points, but the points cannot be spent until a character hits level 80. Furthermore, Masteries will bring new benefits to all of the characters in a player’s account. The mastery system was designed to expand players abilities without invalidating past achievements and to grow their characters while focusing on gameplay instead of grinding for new gear.

Livestream stuff starts at 2 p.m. EST tomorrow at twitch.tv/guildwars2

Most likely we'll see the mastery system in-game. Aww Yiss

Retro

Details on the new Profession have been released;
Revenant: The Master of the Mists
  • Unique profession mechanic
  • Unique resource system
  • Heavy armor
  • Medium health pool
  • Color scheme: red, black, and misty white
Between now and the launch of the expansion, you’ll learn a lot about the revenant’s skills and abilities. We’ll start that process today by talking about the following:
  • Hammer
  • Mace
  • Axe
  • Legendary Demon Stance: Mallyx the Unyielding
  • Legendary Dwarf Stance: Jalis Ironhammer
c822bStance-Switch.jpg

Some Highlights, and discussion on the new Conditions and Boons (including Taunt, which is surely a boon for those who felt GW2's combat was too unpredictable);
Let’s start with the basics. A revenant can select from a pool of legends—epic characters from the past that you can invoke power from—and slot two different legends at a time. With this constant connection to the Mists, you’ll always have one active legend and one inactive legend. The current active legend will determine the skills on the right half of your skill bar. It’s similar to weapon swapping, but instead it affects your healing, utility, and elite skills. Not only will the legend you select determine your skills, but you’ll have an energy bar tied to your currently invoked legend.

This energy bar is a new resource that the revenant relies on in order to use skills. Some skills will have a low energy cost, allowing you to use them more often, while others have a large cost with a very large payoff. When you invoke a new legend, you’ll begin at half energy and generate more energy over time. This creates a push-and-pull feel with the energy that you manage as you use your skills.

Revenants also have upkeep skills, which you may remember from the original Guild Wars. Certain legends have skills available that will cause you to lose the ability to regenerate energy or even put you into a degeneration state while they remain active. These skills will last until you run out of energy or toggle them off. As you can see in the screenshot, there are pips that represent your current state of upkeep. This allows us to have another skill type in Guild Wars 2 with unique functionality and reinforce the revenant’s focus on energy management.
Resistance (Boon)
“Conditions currently on you have no effect; stacks duration.”

Currently, we have skills that provide a similar effect, such as the warrior’s Berserker Stance (condition immunity with no counterplay). When placed on a character, this boon will temporarily relieve them of all the negative effects that conditions have on the character. For example, if a character is running in fear with the fear condition, they’ll stop running in fear when resistance is placed on them. When resistance ends, they’ll resume running in fear. Having this type of effect on a boon makes it so the boon can be removed by other players, adding in more counterplay.

Slow (Condition)
“Skills and actions are slower.”

We have the positive version of this already as quickness, which increases the speed of skills and actions. This will slow down animations and casts, allowing more time to dodge or interrupt the incoming massive attack. We’ve also improved both quickness and slow. Currently, quickness will cause your cast bar to cut out early. With the improvement, your skill cast bar will smoothly update when you gain quickness or slow, even during the middle of using a skill.

Taunt (Status Effect)
“Involuntarily attack foes.”

We have many different status effects in Guild Wars 2 that accomplish a variety of goals, such as knockdown, knockback, and daze. In this expansion, we wanted to open up gameplay options using taunt. Taunt will be used to both reposition foes and change your foes’ targets. For example, when used on players, it will force the taunted player to run at their target with their skill bar locked—minus stun breakers—and only use their autoattack skill to attack. This gives us the opportunity to use taunt in multiple ways, not just as a player skill, but also as a tool to create interesting creature encounters that utilize this taunt effect against players.

And a reminder that ArenaNet (and a playable demo) will be at PAX East in Boston, March 6–8, and at Rezzed in London, March 12–14.

Zeroth

Revenant really feels like a love letter to GW1. If there's any GW1 player on the fence about GW2, this new class can really help fill the gap between the two games.

Nordicus

Details on the new Profession have been released;
Revenant: The Master of the Mists

Some Highlights, and discussion on the new Conditions and Boons (including Taunt, which is surely a boon for those who felt GW2's combat was too unpredictable);
My first reaction was that Taunt might really unbalance the encounters in vanilla game, but thinking about it further I suppose there are various things that keep it from changing things too much. Bosses have Defiance, and GW2 "tanks" and "healers" aren't as great at these jobs as classes in actual trinity system games. It's just one more CC effect with a twist

Cathcart

It's just one more CC effect with a twist
Yep, it's just anti-fear. I think the short duration is the key difference. In every other game with a taunt it would have a lasting effect of increasing aggro on the caster making him the tank where in GW2 once the buff is gone everything snaps back to the way it was just before the taunt.

Syril

I hope it doesn't come down to "you have to taunt the boss when he readies a specific move to interrupt it or else he'll wipe out the whole party" levels.

Taunt use on players is something I've wanted to see in WoW for over a decade. Funny that ArenaNet should be the ones with the balls to implement it, although that's becoming a trend lately. Should be quite hilarious in any case!

HowZatOZ

Banned
Revenant really feels like a love letter to GW1. If there's any GW1 player on the fence about GW2, this new class can really help fill the gap between the two games.

It definitely has me coming back and leveling up while I wait for the expansion. Everything just sounds perfect with this new content and with how WoW is going it looks like the fun is either with GW2 or FFXIV.

Retro

My first reaction was that Taunt might really unbalance the encounters in vanilla game, but thinking about it further I suppose there are various things that keep it from changing things too much. Bosses have Defiance, and GW2 "tanks" and "healers" aren't as great at these jobs as classes in actual trinity system games. It's just one more CC effect with a twist

Taunt is more likely to be a short-duration "reverse Fear" or the world's slowest force pull than any kind of snap aggro ability. We don't have a ton of details yet, but given how Guild Wars 2 handles things now the precedent isn't there

Also worth noting that during several of their livestream events, they've shown enemies that have a new Defiance mechanic that's a bar instead of a stacking buff;
bE3bPgi.png

No word on how it will work, but a lot of people think it might be similar to Wildstar's "Interrupt armor" mechanic or allow for more precise use of control abilities. PvE combat may be changing a lot with Heart of Thorns.

I hope it doesn't come down to "you have to taunt the boss when he readies a specific move to interrupt it or else he'll wipe out the whole party" levels.

Given how Guild Wars 2 has worked up to this point, that seems highly unlikely. Even if they did have an inescapable damage spike, there's still the Downed / rally mechanic, invincibility frames while dodging, invulnerability skills (Endure Pain, Mist Form, etc.), etc. That sort of cheap wipe crap just doesn't exist except as a fail state (Marionette nuked everyone from orbit if the event failed, for example), I don't see them adding it in now.

Also worth noting that during several of their livestream events, they've shown enemies that have a new Defiance mechanic that's a bar instead of a stacking buff;
bE3bPgi.png

It might simply be a more visual way of displaying the current Defiance mechanic, maybe? It really needed something better than a single icon with a small number on it among the sea of buff/debuff icons with numbers. A lot of people didn't even know about the defiance mechanic at all; making it that much more prominent seems just perfect.

Edit: From reading Wildstar's Interrupt Armor mechanic you mentioned, it seems identical to GW2's defiance? Or am I missing something obvious?

Retro

Edit: From reading Wildstar's Interrupt Armor mechanic you mentioned, it seems identical to GW2's defiance? Or am I missing something obvious?

It's represented in-game as a counter, but there's also bar that indicates when it's regenerating. Because of that, it's possible to keep using abilities that remove a charge to keep it from regenerating multiple stacks. The way Defiance in GW2 works, once you break through defiance, the next CC goes off and restores all of the Defiance charges at once.

It's represented in-game as a counter, but there's also bar that indicates when it's regenerating. Because of that, it's possible to keep using abilities that remove a charge to keep it from regenerating multiple stacks. The way Defiance in GW2 works, once you break through defiance, the next CC goes off and restores all of the Defiance charges at once.

Ah, my bad, I assumed that was the case in Wildstar as well. So wait, when you remove the armor in Wildstar, as long as you keep pelting it with CC's in Wildstar, they will all work? Sounds a bit crazy, but I guess CCs will be much more rationed to compensate for it. It's interesting in that I guess it promotes coordinating to fire all CCs at once, which is more intuitive that GW2's implementation which is harder to explain and coordinate.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Ah, my bad, I assumed that was the case in Wildstar as well. So wait, when you remove the armor in Wildstar, as long as you keep pelting it with CC's in Wildstar, they will all work? Sounds a bit crazy, but I guess CCs will be much more rationed to compensate for it. It's interesting in that I guess it promotes coordinating to fire all CCs at once, which is more intuitive that GW2's implementation which is harder to explain and coordinate.

From memory in WildStar if you kept pelting an enemy with CC they would eventually regenerate their armour due to becoming immune/resistant to the CC. I may be wrong there, I haven't played for quite some time.

Retro

No, from the way I understand it, you can keep using abilities to keep Interrupt Armor from generating a ton of stacks; those CCs don't work, but they keep the enemy from building up a ton of charges again (in contrast to GW2 where they automatically get all of their charges back).

I dunno, it's been a while since I played the WS beta, and since everything about the game was so off-putting I wasn't too inclined to pay it much attention. Maybe it's changed or I'm forgetting how it worked.

Ploid 3.0

Taunt use on players is something I've wanted to see in WoW for over a decade. Funny that ArenaNet should be the ones with the balls to implement it, although that's becoming a trend lately. Should be quite hilarious in any case!

Provoke in FFXI PVP was fun hah.

Retro

Bumping the thread since a lot of folks were waiting for it to be on sale again;

Guild Wars 2 is 75% off March 6–8

On March 6–8, we’re offering both the Guild Wars 2 Digital Heroic Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition for 75% off* to celebrate our WTS Finals and the playable demo of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns at PAX East! Already a Guild Wars 2 player? Tell your friends so they can get ready for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns by picking up this award-winning MMO that has captivated millions of gamers worldwide and experience a constantly evolving fantasy world where their actions make a difference.

Get Guild Wars 2 starting tomorrow and save!

*Offer applies only to Digital Heroic Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition purchased through buy.guildwars2.com from March 6, 2015, at 6:00 a.m. Pacific Time (UTC-8) through March 8, 2015, at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time (UTC-7).

They also had a press event where a lot of folks got to play the demo they'll have at PAX East and get some impressions / do interviews. Here's a list; https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-demo-previews/

Angry Joe's interview is probably the best of the videos, the US Gamer review is probably the best written one.

Top Bottom