• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Announcement

I'm looking forward to the new stuff. Gliding should be pretty cool but I'm interested in what some of the other aspects of the Mastery system are.

Guild Hall's will be nice. Meeting up with GAF Guild before Guild Missions will be nice. Especially since our old meeting place was destroyed in Lion's Arch.

We know;

Mastery system;

Traverse; Gliding, probably, also climbing, and a deeper level of gliding that allows the gushing of air. But will gliding work with the new World vs World map?
Combat; ?
Crafting, Building; Building a precursor, building guild hall(?)

It sounds like that these will be the 3 pillars.

Specialization;
Revenant (will it have a specialization? will we start lvl 01, and in normal starting zones?)
Ranger; Druid (Staff)
Necromancer; Death Knight (Greatsword)
Engineer; Hammer/Flying drones (Hammer)
Mesmer;
Guardian;
Warrior;
Elementalist; / 5th atunement? Nature?
Thief;

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Traditional business model.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/105801626-Guild-Wars-2-Heart-of-Thorns-FAQ

Q: Is the expansion “buy to play”?
A: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is a paid expansion to Guild Wars 2, but once you buy it, there are no subscription fees. This means that you can continue playing and access future updates for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns with no subscription fee.

Q: Do I have to own Guild Wars 2 to play the expansion?
A: Yes. Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is an expansion to Guild Wars 2 and not a stand-alone campaign, and therefore it requires the base game to play.

Q: Will this expansion only be available digitally, or will there be a boxed edition as well?
A: Both. Once Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is available, you’ll be able to buy it digitally or get boxed editions at retail stores.

The introduction of flight scares me in any MMO - really hope it's limited.

You and me both mate. I saw what it did to Aion and what it did to WoW. I am fine that it is build for the area. This entire jungle sounds like something of avatar. build in 3 layers. The base world would not be build for that.

Will they increase the draw distance globally for the game though? will the expansion have increased system requirements? Directx12?

They say that this jungle is the biggest and most ambitious they have done. but physically that does not make sense - But is it because it is layered. Are the areas directly on top of each other. Like, if you jump out the highest area, can you glide to the bottom area, or glide all the way to the bottom? So thats the land mass x3?

Vena

So do we get Mursaat as a playable race?

Also Guardian will likely be bow, but I'll have to ask around to check on that.

10$ is tempting, are the videos on the website still relevant or has the game changed too much? It looks very different to WoW I don't really know if I'll like it.

cyress8

Banned
You and me both mate. I saw what it did to Aion and what it did to WoW. I am fine that it is build for the area. This entire jungle sounds like something of avatar. build in 3 layers. The base world would not be build for that.

Will they increase the draw distance globally for the game though? will the expansion have increased system requirements? Directx12?

They say that this jungle is the biggest and most ambitious they have done. but physically that does not make sense - But is it because it is layered. Are the areas directly on top of each other. Like, if you jump out the highest area, can you glide to the bottom area, or glide all the way to the bottom? So thats the land mass x3?

From what I've read, I think you can jump all the way down. If you bug out the jumping puzzle in Metrica so it does not warp you back to the beginning, you can fall a long ass way.

Sinistral

As an avid PvPer, more GvGer and RvRer this game had me buy it initially only to lose interest shortly after.

Are there more details on the GvG? And what is the state of the PvP and WvWvW in the game today?

Vena

Are there more details on the GvG? And what is the state of the PvP and WvWvW in the game today?

GvG is close to GW1 from the sounds of it, its a stronghold fight where you have to break into the opponents base and kill the Lord.

PvP is small as has been for a long, long time since Conquest never really took off. WvW has dwindled since most of us who played it a lot eventually got bored and stopped.

As an avid PvPer, more GvGer and RvRer this game had me buy it initially only to lose interest shortly after.

Stronghold is a game mode where you hire troops to go and kill the enemy. It sounds almost like MOBAs combined with GW1 GvG.

Retro

The post-show interview just confirmed it'll be a couple of weeks before they start going deep into materials but "everything is going to start happening fast from here on out"

Playable at PAX East in 6 weeks.

Altima

GW2 offers the best way to leveling and has most enjoyable content.

Sadly, there is no raid in GW2. End game is quite a joke for me while other game like WoW or FF XIV have solid end game but leveling phase is fucking terrible. (Quite ok for WoW first run but FF XIV is very terrible at the first run.)

Sadly, there is no raid in GW2. End game is quite a joke for me while other game like WoW or FF XIV have solid end game but leveling phase is fucking terrible. (Quite ok for WoW first run but FF XIV is very terrible at the first run.)

I think a lot of people play GW2 because they hate the WoW/FFXIV style. I personally find it meh.

The best raid experienced I've had in GW2 was this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7ssn3bUxHE (200 players scattered across 6 sections. This was a gazillion more meaningful than any 40 man raid ever was to me in WoW).
Its my hope that they will re-vitalize this style of open world raiding in this expansion. They kept talking about challenging meaningful content. So I am really hopeful. love!

Retro

When's the last time you played? The revamped Tequatl and Triple Wurm fights are large scale encounters, and Guild Missions are fairly involved but less combat oriented apart from Challenges.

They're unlikely to add instanced raids to the game since they're all about keeping things open, so if you want 20 / 40 man WoW-style raids, I don't think it's gonna happen.

Sinistral

GvG is close to GW1 from the sounds of it, its a stronghold fight where you have to break into the opponents base and kill the Lord.

PvP is small as has been for a long, long time since Conquest never really took off. WvW has dwindled since most of us who played it a lot eventually got bored and stopped.

Stronghold is a game mode where you hire troops to go and kill the enemy. It sounds almost like MOBAs combined with GW1 GvG.

Thanks. Stronghold sounds interesting, I'll definitely keep an ear out. How's overall class balance and combat feel these days?

Altima

When's the last time you played? The revamped Tequatl and Triple Wurm fights are large scale encounters, and Guild Missions are fairly involved but less combat oriented apart from Challenges.

They're unlikely to add instanced raids to the game since they're all about keeping things open, so if you want 20 / 40 man WoW-style raids, I don't think it's gonna happen.

I had played it for 10 hr a day for a couple of months after the game released before I quit. (because they nerfed how to farm Karma !!)

Yeah, I'm quite fast to jump in and out.

Looks like this expansion will splinter the community into, Expansion owners and Base Game (only) owners.

Kinda goes against their ideas I think.

Most enjoyable MMO for me on the market right now. First MMO I have subbed for multiple months for...

Same here. I used to exclusively play GW1+2 but after FFXIV came out and GW2 was quickly losing my interest, I tried it out. Never looked back.

Right now I just log in to GW2 to unlock the new living world content. And unfortunately there's nothing enticing to me about the new expansion either. I played GW1 for the awesome depth to the skill system, most of my time in the end game was spent unlocking elite skills and building ultimate characters and hero teams with different skills so that I could do fun things like vanquishing HM, running UW and all those hard dungeons, etc. GW2 removed most of the skill customization and unlocking mechanics, and ultimately that's why I lost interest, despite the reasons they've given for "simplifying" the system.

What ever happened to the feeling of exhilirarion when you finally downed Rurik and captured 100 blades? Nothing in GW2 gives you that sense of character progression, after you unlock most of the skills in the game within the first few hours it's all about your point allocations in fields that marginally change a few percentage points. Wow, so epic! At least XIV offers new skills up to level cap, which get more epic as you level up. So yeah. Really disappointed in GW2.

Boogdud

Anyone ask why the hell Charr footprints are STILL backwards after 2 1/2 years? Seriously, it bugs me more than anything else. So sloppy.

Arcteryx

Looks like this expansion will splinter the community into, Expansion owners and Base Game (only) owners.

Kinda goes against their ideas I think.

Yea, I'm interested in seeing how they will balance the added specializations/class/etc.

Not sure how it will work out.

Thanks. Stronghold sounds interesting, I'll definitely keep an ear out. How's overall class balance and combat feel these days?

I think it feels good. There is always one or two bullshit meta builds, but it feels good. They knocked down Warriors like me pretty well last time, but I feel good about it. I feel really good about most classes. Particularly Rangers where one-dimensional for a while.

The biggest thing is that they are going to make defending in WvW make a big deal. Right now, we have big fun zerg fights, but people sometimes give up castles and forts they just took, because it doesnt reward you with as much karma, as giving it up and then taking it back. I'm glad they are on point on that.

But figuring out if Stronghold will foster esport? I mean.. Its difficult to say. On one hand it is what the community have asked for, and on the other hand, conquest might be forgotten if stronghold takes hold. We can't really say before it comes out.

Vena

Probably close to the best its ever been? Hard to say, I haven't really touched it seriously in a few months.

Yea, I'm interested in seeing how they will balance the added specializations/class/etc.

Not sure how it will work out.

Same way it worked in GW1. You can interact with the other characters/professions/specializations, but they are locked out to you.

Anyone ask why the hell Charr footprints are STILL backwards after 2 1/2 years? Seriously, it bugs me more than anything else. So sloppy.

Their bug priority puzzles me, they fix the Legendary aura bug when switching weapons, but a day one bug walking down a slope and losing HP is still in the game..

Bought guild wars, now to wait for the download throughout the weekend -_-.

Wish I remembered my arena.net account for GW1, have to find my serial key to link my account because I don't remember the email password to the account it is tied to.

remember they have another security - you also need to say one of the names of one of your characters!

haha, named the character as a teenager but I still remember it :p.

Bought guild wars, now to wait for the download throughout the weekend -_-.

Wish I remembered my arena.net account for GW1, have to find my serial key to link my account because I don't remember the email password to the account it is tied to.

remember they have another security - you also need to say one of the names of one of your characters!

ACE 1991

I think the combat in gw2 is some of the best in the business, but I never felt compelled to really get good at it... It doesn't seem like end game PVE offers much of a reason to really coordinate and learn and get better. Am I wrong here?

Outside of jumping puzzles (which were the most enjoyable thing for me), have they improved on the game play and made it less grindy for aesthetic rewards?

Vena

I think the combat in gw2 is some of the best in the business, but I never felt compelled to really get good at it... It doesn't seem like end game PVE offers much of a reason to really coordinate and learn and get better. Am I wrong here?

Not unless you get into PvP/WvW. The game really has nothing much to offer in PvE that compels you or needs you to get good to succeed. The only thing, maybe, would be Triple Trouble Wurms.

But that's a 100+man objective thing.

Levyne

Banned
I think tsye combat in gw2 is some of the best in the business, but I never felt compelled to really get good at it... It doesn't seem like end game PVE offers much of a reason to really coordinate and learn and get better. Am I wrong here?

Depends. If you just wanna do easy dungeons then you just need to know the basic nuances, when to buff, when to cleanse, when to blast fire, when to blast water, when to dodge or use an evade or block. Some of the harder dungeons require a little more than that, such as the aetherpath or Fractals.

Pvp is where you really learn class mastery and teamwork. But I think the effort on the pve side is better than some detractors give it credit for.

ACE 1991

Not unless you get into PvP/WvW. The game really has nothing much to offer in PvE that compels you or needs you to get good to succeed. The only thing, maybe, would be Triple Trouble Wurms.

But that's a 100+man objective thing.

Depends. If you just wanna do easy dungeons then you just need to know the basic nuances, when to buff, when to cleanse, when to blast fire, when to blast water, when to dodge or use an evade or block. Some of the harder dungeons require a little more than that, such as the aetherpath or Fractals.

Pvp is where you really learn class mastery and teamwork. But I think the effort on the pve side is better than some detractors give it credit for.

OK, thanks.

Pollux

Just purchased and am downloading on my macbook air. Only thing I got until I build a PC in the spring. Hopefully it runs. I'm fine with even minimum settings.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Really well-done thread, Retroman. if anyone has any questions about the game as it exists right now (getting back into it or whatever) please do come visit the community OT or feel free to PM me.

Top Bottom