• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Announcement

Boogdud

Well, that didn't sell me on coming back, at all.

Yeah me either. Honestly it seems like a large patch with features they talked about adding right after launch, with the exception of the new class.

Disappointed that they didn't mention any solo/duo challenges etc.

I think my (and my wife's) disappointment in gw2 stems from the fact that it seems like they took everything cool about gw1 and threw it in the toilet and act like it never happened. I wanted gw1 mechanics (soloable content, ai companions/heores, ability to do things with just a couple people, tons of skill customization, etc) but with freedom of movement and open maps. Definitely didn't get it, and it doesn't sound like they're going back to it ever.

Oh well.

Also, these dudes after the show just scream "I'm paid to be excited"

Seiniyta

Hm, no new race is quite dissapointing. But I suppose the way the story unfolded it would have been, lorewise shoehorned in. I do hope that the Tengu will eventually be playable in guild wars 2.

nataku

The HoT site specifically says "hang gliding in the jungle." I really hope the gliding isn't only in expansion areas. That would be a big letdown.

The HoT site specifically says "hang gliding in the jungle." I really hope the gliding isn't only in expansion areas. That would be a big letdown.

I hope it can be used elsewhere but I seriously doubt it. Hang gliding in other areas probably introduces a bunch of problems ANet isn't going to bother with. Like climbing to a high point in a dungeon and hang gliding to skip over lots of it, etc.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

It pretty much sounded like it. Almost all of the new features had an "in the jungle" in the same sentence heh.

Wallach

I'd wager it is, allowing it in the old world would likely require a lot of retooling of old environments.

Liked a lot of what they mentioned (especially Necromancers getting greatswords), but yeah no date/pricing is kind of a buzzkill. Makes it seem like this may not be all that near release.

Asd202

Well I'll probably play this for exploration alone but I don't think I'll stay around after I'm finished with the story from what they've shown so far.

Specializations seem basically like a hyped up way of saying each class can use a new weapon lol

Sure, if they didn't go out of the way to say that profession mechanics change as well. Profession mechanics would refer to things like Ranger's pets, Necro's Death Shroud, etc.

Ashodin

I thought I heard different classes could do similar specializations. Two classes can both choose Druid?

nah. was clearly just "ok rangers can learn to be druids and it changes how they play"

same deal for necros. it's how they can use greatswords.

each class will likely have at least one.

Specializations seem basically like a hyped up way of saying each class can use a new weapon lol

Well, they mechanics change as well, plus exclusive utility, heal and elite skills. They made it sound like the resource management for the ranger will change.

I wonder if this is also why Colin said *if they choose* to specialize. It gives to reason that some players just want to remain rangers, instead of having the core mechanics changed. He didn't say anything about new trait lines either, so I think this will be a choice with other costs!

Wallach

nah. was clearly just "ok rangers can learn to be druids and it changes how they play"

same deal for necros. it's how they can use greatswords.

each class will likely have at least one.

Based on the HoT site they just launched, it looks like each class has one specialization and that is how they unlock one additional weapon per profession.

Sure, if they didn't go out of the way to say that profession mechanics change as well. Profession mechanics would refer to things like Ranger's pets, Necro's Death Shroud, etc.

Meh, I'm not convinced. Guess we'll find out though. Guild Halls will be nice and the Revenant sounds cool.

yeah at least a release window would be nice.. such as later 2015 or early 2016..

also no mention on if this will be included if you already own an account or if this is going to be a paid expansion.

At least some of the content feels like it has to be rolled into the main game. All of WvW for obvious reasons and everything regarding existing classes (specializations, etc.). I can't really see them gating guild halls either, what would be the point of having them? The only things that seem gateable at all are the new zones, the new class and perhaps Stronghold PvP. It really doesn't seem like ArenaNet's standard procedure to separate players though, so I can definitely see giving everything away for free, or perhaps the zone and class for a small fee.

Sylas

That was literally a 45 minute marketing deck presentation. Repeating words, scarce details. Saying a lot without actually saying anything. That was actually embarassing to watch, especially when the cameras cut to audience members that looked utterly unimpressed. If you can't talk about any details, or even offer up a cohesive trailer, push the announcement back guys. Woof.

That was literally a 45 minute marketing deck presentation. Repeating words, scarce details. Saying a lot without actually saying anything. That was actually embarassing to watch, especially when the cameras cut to audience members that looked utterly unimpressed. If you can't talk about any details, or even offer up a cohesive trailer, push the announcement back guys. Woof.
Agree on the poor presentation, but as a day 1 GW2 player everything they announced is just superb. Great stuff incoming.

Levyne

Banned
It was definitely not a lot of showing. At least we can look forward to learning the other specializations as they get revealed.

Morokh

Well i'm happy about what they talked about .... but yeah they just talked about it ....

The lack of footage explaining things a little bit more, the lack of launch window, or pricing model really make it feel, once again like they are overhyping it or that it's still far far away ....

kind of a mixed bag in the end.

What? we got plenty of new details and a cohesive trailer as well....

Sylas

Agree on the poor presentation, but as a day 1 GW2 player everything they announced is just superb. Great stuff incoming.

They said almost the exact same stuff they said during the leadup to GW2s release.

"Exciting new ways to experience story."
"Never before seen dynamic world."

How has all of that worked out so far?

But maybe I'm just bitter. ANet is determined to say a lot and deliver in unwanted ways, if they deliver at all.

Klyka

Banned
Good try Arena.net, but sorry,you lost me to FF14 and Heavensward

I hope people have lots of fun with this though!

I think they want to show things on their blogs, every week. With the way releases have been, the community sort of expecting something new every week, or every second week. I think we will have more soon! Very exciting:)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Isn't the sale supposed to have started?

EDIT: LOL it's not on sale in Canada.

EDIT2: Used Media Hint in firefox to spoof being in the states, let me buy it for 10.

They said almost the exact same stuff they said during the leadup to GW2s release.

"Exciting new ways to experience story."
"Never before seen dynamic world."

How has all of that worked out so far?

But maybe I'm just bitter. ANet is determined to say a lot and deliver in unwanted ways, if they deliver at all.

Pretty well and it was certainly different than most mmo at the time. So what exactly was your point?

Then again reading some of the commments from player pre-launch I can definitely see why they might have thought it failed to meet their imagined expectations. I mean some of player expectation were just unrealistic, I used to read threads on MMORPG of players saying things that developers never said.

I'm looking forward to the new stuff. Gliding should be pretty cool but I'm interested in what some of the other aspects of the Mastery system are.

Guild Hall's will be nice. Meeting up with GAF Guild before Guild Missions will be nice. Especially since our old meeting place was destroyed in Lion's Arch.

I feel the content sounds fine, but the presentation felt like 15-20 minutes of info stretched to 45-50 minutes.

Pretty much, I'm excited to play the new class, but they just kept going on and on about nothing. I also hope we get some harder stuff to do, maybe dungeons? I guess we'll see what happens.

Philippo

The official trailer says "professions", so more than Revenant?

Man i miss this game so much.
Played a lot during launch period, but dropped before reaching 80 because it was boring without irl friends to play with, and the servers often had very few people in it iirc.

Then i moved to console and now i don't have a pc that can handle it, but i still hope for a console port, since it's happening for ESO too.

But i keep following it, i think it has a lot of potential, and i rarely had the same fun i had with jumping puzzles.

zulux21

At least some of the content feels like it has to be rolled into the main game. All of WvW for obvious reasons and everything regarding existing classes (specializations, etc.). I can't really see them gating guild halls either, what would be the point of having them? The only things that seem gateable at all are the new zones, the new class and perhaps Stronghold PvP. It really doesn't seem like ArenaNet's standard procedure to separate players though, so I can definitely see giving everything away for free, or perhaps the zone and class for a small fee.

given what they announced I too would expect it to just be added to the base game at no cost.... but that really feels like a point you should mention while showing off the new content as "and this will be added free of cost to all account holders" is a great line to get new players in the game getting ready for the expansion.

_woLf

A Q&A just went up. It confirms a public beta.

Q: Will you be offering an early-access beta?

A: Yes, although we do not have details to release at the present time. Please keep checking http://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com for more information as it becomes available.

Q: Is the expansion “buy to play”?

A: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is a paid expansion to Guild Wars 2, but once you buy it, there are no subscription fees. This means that you can continue playing and access future updates for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns with no subscription fee.

Good try Arena.net, but sorry,you lost me to FF14 and Heavensward

I hope people have lots of fun with this though!

That's cool and live goes on. Different games are going to appeal to different people, that's life.

I think they should have posted the site and trailer today with zero fan fare, let us speculate for a few more days, then have daily blog posts outlining the new content.

A week of posts culminating in a video post of CEO thanking the fans, announcing release date, explaining mode of distribution. As it was, the conference was really stretched thin - something that hyped should have probably at least had a release date attached, but oh well.

Going to take advantage of double xp weekend and bump up some alts!
I doubt a lot of people feel the same as you.

The purpose of using PAX is because it has a bigger reach than simply posting an announcement on their game website, but like I said different strokes for different people.

Ludovico

I think they should have posted the site and trailer today with zero fan fare, let us speculate for a few more days, then have daily blog posts outlining the new content.

A week of posts culminating in a video post of CEO thanking the fans, announcing release date, explaining mode of distribution. As it was, the conference was really stretched thin - something that hyped should have probably at least had a release date attached, but oh well.

Going to take advantage of double xp weekend and bump up some alts!

Top Bottom