• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Preview Weekends (Aug 11-13, 18-20)

Ashodin

zCoKE80.gif

2Y61L1Q.gif

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/get-ready-for-the-guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-preview-weekend/

Hello lapsed, current, and new players! This weekend starts the first of two weekends for Guild Wars 2's Path of Fire expansion preview.

WHO CAN PLAY?

Anyone! As long as you have an account in good standing, OR EVEN A FREE ACCOUNT, you can test out the new maps in the Crystal Desert along with the first mount you get access to, the Raptor!

WHEN DOES IT START?

Presumably at 12 PM PST / 3 PM PST on Friday, August 11, through Sunday, August 13 for the first event, and Friday, August 18 through Sunday August 20 on the second event.

WHAT CAN I DO ON THE FIRST PREVIEW EVENT?

You can make a Level 80 character of any profession (Guardian, Revenant, Elementalist, Necromancer, Warrior, Mesmer, Thief, Engineer, Ranger) and run around Amnoon Oasis and the Crystal Desert in the first story section and explore the HUGE first map of Path of Fire.

MOUNTS!

HpJkTZp.gif

WHAT ABOUT THE SECOND EVENT?

The second event is ALL about trying out the new second set of ELITE SPECIALIZATIONS (which are like class changing in other RPGs) that will change the way you play your favorite profession. You'll be able to use them not in the new map, but instead to test their mettle in PVP tournaments and matches all throughout the weekend so you can put them through their paces!

FSinY17.png

I LOVE IT. HOW DO I UPGRADE TO FULL CLIENT OR PRE-ORDER?

Right here lad: https://buy.guildwars2.com/

There's a combo that will get you Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire for $50.

Oh did I mention? THE BASE GAME IS FREE!

DO YOU HAVE A GAF COMMUNITY THREAD?

Boy do we ever! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=245848998

And we'll be putting up a new thread for Path of Fire when it launches on Sept. 22!

See you in Tyria!

Wanderer5

Probably won't be around for the second weekend. D: Want to try Spellbreaker, Holosmith, Weaver, and Firebrand, so maybe if I do have a bit of time, I just focus on one or two of those to test out.

Ashodin

Yeah and unlike other MMOs, these mounts actually do stuff like teleport you, bounce REAL high, skim over water, etc. They give you abilities that will let you go over and around obstacles with ease. Plus you can train them up to help you enter combat.

B00TE

Excited to try this tomorrow, been back playing the game and it's as fun as it ever was. Debating on what to use my free boost on: ranger, mesmer or elementalist (have the other classes capped out already). Gonna check out the new areas as one of those three to help with my choice lol.

Real eager to see how the open world stuff plays out, easily my favorite thing about the game since it's launch almost five years ago.

Ashodin

Excited to try this tomorrow, been back playing the game and it's as fun as it ever was. Debating on what to use my free boost on: ranger, mesmer or elementalist (have the other classes capped out already). Gonna check out the new areas as one of those three to help with my choice lol.

Real eager to see how the open world stuff plays out, easily my favorite thing about the game since it's launch almost five years ago.

Oh yeah, a free boost, I still have that lol

Massicot

How do we download the preview version? Can we preload?

Just download the client and make sure it's up to date. Register for a free account if you don't have one. The most recent patch ostensibly had a good chunk of the preview assets and there will probably be another one tomorrow.

Time to redownload and try this baby out. 1100 hours but stopped playing after that so very curious if this will hook me back in.

Dec

These infomercial-like threads from paying fans always weird me out.

I might check it out next weekend.

Ashodin

How does the event work by the way. A new server will show up in the server select screen?

All accounts get flagged with a "preview slot" that you make your character in that will show up in the preview area.

These infomercial-like threads from paying fans always weird me out.

I might check it out next weekend.

Is that a slight? I mean, I just wanted info out there and some good gifs to go with any sort of thread about it. Would you rather it be barebones and un-exciting?

How does the event work by the way. A new server will show up in the server select screen?

Nope, just login it and play in preview area...servers will continue to function like always, GW2 has the best streaming server technology out there, no other MMO comes close...none...

Ashodin

I personally agree and felt like the OT would have been sufficient. But oh well.

Uh, the idea is to get other people to know about it?

Did they increase system requirements sometime?

I could play the base game fine.

Yeah Heart of Thorns requires more computer power than the base game.

here's the requirements

Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Minimum Requirements
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or better
  • CPU Speed: Info
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GTS, ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT
  • Free Disk Space: 50 GB

Massicot

Did they increase system requirements sometime?

I could play the base game fine.

Yes

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245199811&postcount=471

No official word but the required specs are now 64-bit only:

GW2:
Windows XP Service Pack 2 or better
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or better
NVIDIA GeForce 7800, ATI Radeon X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (256MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
2 GB RAM
25 GB available HDD space
Broadband Internet connection
Keyboard and mouse

PoF:

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or better
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GTS, ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT
Free Disk Space: 50 GB

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I personally agree and felt like the OT would have been sufficient. But oh well.

A free weekend is news that would be interesting to people outside of those already following the game. I had no idea the event was going on and I already own the base/expansion.

Mikey Jr.

Uh, the idea is to get other people to know about it?

Yeah Heart of Thorns requires more computer power than the base game.

here's the requirements

Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Minimum Requirements
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or better
  • CPU Speed: Info
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GTS, ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT
  • Free Disk Space: 50 GB

Thanks.

Fuck it then. My computer is ancient.

I have this.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

RAM 8.0 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bit

Can I run this game or not?

I don't even know whats good and whats not good. PC gaming is like a rubix cube for me.

Massicot

A free weekend is news that would be interesting to people outside of those already following the game. I had no idea the event was going on and I already own the base/expansion.

Alright, I concede. Something about the tone of this thread does still read like professional fandom that rubs me the wrong way, but maybe it's an irrational feeling.

Kalentan

Still debating if I want to partake in this. Part of me does but the other part of me wants to go into the expansion without having tasted it yet.

Ashodin

Thanks.

Fuck it then. My computer is ancient.

I have this.

Can I run this game or not?

I don't even know whats good and whats not good. PC gaming is like a rubix cube for me.

Here's a better way- download the client and see if you can run it. You might need to tweak settings, but the game is very forgiving.

Alright, I concede. Something about the tone of this thread does still read like professional fandom that rubs me the wrong way, but maybe it's an irrational feeling.

My takeaway from this is that I'm pretty good at what I do (which is graphic design and marketing). If you felt like it was professional, great. I didn't want to overtone with much "OMG THIS GAME IZ THA BEST GUYZ" stuff though.

We don't have an exact time for when it's going live, but Anet mentioned it would be the usual update time which is generally around noon PST.

Still debating if I want to partake in this. Part of me does but the other part of me wants to go into the expansion without having tasted it yet.

That's kind of where I'm sitting. I'll definitely give it at least a brief spin with some friends, but not sure how much I want to get stuck into it.

Stuart444

I won't have much time to check it out as I have a house guest staying for the weekend and will be out most of the weekend but I'll see if I can check it out for an hour or so. Enough time to ride a mount at least lol.

Can't wait til the actual expac is out though :D this should be a good preview along with the second preview weekend.

Ashodin

I won't have much time to check it out as I have a house guest staying for the weekend and will be out most of the weekend but I'll see if I can check it out for an hour or so. Enough time to ride a mount at least lol.

Can't wait til the actual expac is out though :D this should be a good preview along with the second preview weekend.

I'm not sure as well, but I think the entire zone will be available instead of the demo area a lot of YouTubers got to play with.

Mikey Jr.

I'm trying to recover my account from Guild Wars 2 since I forgot the log in.

This is a fucking disaster.

Apparently the email is not enough. I have to find the game code I got digitally through email, and I have to name a character that I created on the server 6 YEARS AGO.

How in the flying fuck am I supposed to remember that?

Jesus. This is something else man.

Ashodin

Apparently the email is not enough. I have to find the game code I got digitally through email, and I have to name a character that I created on the server 6 YEARS AGO.

Just email support, they'd be glad to establish your identity and help.

Complistic

What weapon are necros getting? Siafra is curious.

The jungle is such a slog, but I've got a feeling mounts will make the new area a whole lot more fun to explore.

Lren

Looking forward to seeing what the new area offers for sure. Perhaps even a few of us could run together in a squad!

Massicot

What weapon are necros getting? Siafra is curious.

The jungle is such a slog, but I've got a feeling mounts will make the new area a whole lot more fun to explore.

Torch. They also get Shade abilities (basically new death/reaper shroud) and a new type of skill called Punishments.

Thorzilla

Heart of Thorns looked all right when announced but loved it after some time It was a chore at first though, with so much verticality (Tangled Depths) and seemingly illogical traversal. Masteries and exploration felt very rewarding in the end.

Path of Fire though...man, I sure as hell can't wait! I was somewhat hopeful that we'd go to Istan but I guess that'll be a LS Season 4 thing.

Here's to tomorrow!

Stuart444

Rumor is that Cantha is Season 4

I'd be surprised myself... I'd say that's a possible next expac though.

Path of Fire though...man, I sure as hell can't wait! I was somewhat hopeful that we'd go to Istan but I guess that'll be a LS Season 4 thing.

Here's to tomorrow!

Well, with the data mine'd map showing Istan, it's almost certainly S4. Unless they expand the map again just before Path of Fire to update the map for the PoF story (but they put it in to the .dat just now because why not XD)

Kard8p3

Alright I've been trying to get back into this after only playing for a few months several years ago. How are the classes for PVP/PVE? More or less balanced, or are there some that out dps others? Anything I should be aware of before I start playing again? I only have the base game.

Ashodin

Alright I've been trying to get back into this after only playing for a few months several years ago. How are the classes for PVP/PVE? More or less balanced, or are there some that out dps others? Anything I should be aware of before I start playing again? I only have the base game.

I think Elementalists are still at the top of their game, and a lot of other classes have great builds now if you want to follow the meta.

This is a good page to look at for metas

https://metabattle.com

Slayven

Them and Nexxon have the most arcane system

Massicot

Tempests were weakened in the recent patch, but I don't really know to what extent since I don't play them much.

Speaking in a very broad sense, the desired classes are generally Berserker, Druid, Chromoancer, Tempest, and Reaper. But everything was just shaken up and will be shaken up again with PoF.

Hard to comment on base classes only.

Kard8p3

Tempests were weakened in the recent patch, but I don't really know to what extent since I don't play them much.

Speaking in a very broad sense, the desired classes are generally Berserker, Druid, Chromoancer, Tempest, and Reaper. But everything was just shaken up and will be shaken up again with PoF.

Hard to comment on base classes only.

Yeah, I should've specified I meant in general, as I was thinking about upgrading in the future if I did end up sticking with the game.Thank you though! :)

I think Elementalists are still at the top of their game, and a lot of other classes have great builds now if you want to follow the meta.

This is a good page to look at for metas

https://metabattle.com

tyty

Top Bottom