• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guillermo del Toro confirms he will not be collaborating with Kojima on Silent Hills

That's a very public and messy breakup. Considering this is poisoning half the IPs they use for consoles and PC, all that remains is PES and Castlevania.

So yeah, I can see them pivoting out of that business.

I wonder how all this shit will affect MGS V. It still blows my mind they couldn't at least wait until September to air all this dirty laundry.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What the fuck are they doing?
Are they that dumb? Really?

Props to Guillermo for having the decency to at least shoot us in the head to keep us from suffering. Doubt Konami would've given us that much.

To all the people saying "I'm not gonna buy MGS5" please don't kid yourself. You are gonna buy it sooner or later.

Konami is a hollow shell of what it use to be. Silent Hills was probably the first Konami game that had me interested in a while with the combination of Kojima, Toro, and Reedus. Now that it's not happening, we can finally move on.

One can buy it used few months later, or at least doesn't shell out cash for collector's edition.

DedValve

Banned
In my restless dreams,
I see that town.

Silent Hill.

You promised me you'd take me
there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now...
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you...

Waiting for you to
come to see me.

But you never do.

And so I wait, wrapped in my
cocoon of pain and loneliness.

RIP Silent Hill ;_;7

EL CUCO

Props to Guillermo for having the decency to at least shoot us in the head to keep us from suffering. Doubt Konami would've given us that much.
Lol that's exactly what it feels like. He's got nothing to lose by doing so. Konami would've strung us along to keep from backlash.

Halabane

Slot machines.

Last years E3 was a clue. They held the space as a backup plan. Guessing the slot machine business is much more lucrative than this side of gaming. Its much lower risk and upfront investment compared to non-gambling gaming. So it looks like they are starting the exit. Wonder what version of waste land the booth will look like this year?

Question now really should be is who is looking at buying the IP? Unless these guys are thinking there are movies or the non-gambling gaming is worth getting back into in the future, they could sell. Make for some nice console exclusives.

legacyzero

Banned
It blows my mind how a publisher has seemingly gone out of their way to shit on their own IP, like Konami has. And a strange history of it.

And after the phenomenon that was P.T., and the hype it generated, they're just leaving money on the table for themselves.

On the contrary, Konami have said exactly zero about any of this. Likewise Kojima.

Toro has no horse in this race.

Kojima is essentially under a gag order, so it's not like we'd be able to hear anything from him.

And of course Toro has no horse in the race. Konami put it down before it entered the track
:p

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
It blows my mind how a publisher has seemingly gone out of their way to shit on their own IP, like Konami has. And a strange history of it.

And after the phenomenon that was P.T., and the hype it generated, they're just leaving money on the table for themselves.

That Japanese business pride/honor. As many have mentioned before, it's the Capcom/Inafune situation all over again.

Once your out, you're out for life. You and everything you made doesn't exist.

sn00zer

Yeah, you have a point there. LoS was fucked by the company too. Ugh, this is terrible.

To be fair they fucked themselves. Its pretty well known the Mercury Steam director was a bit bonkers and is the main reason the place hemorrhaged talent causing LoS2 to suffer.

Zaki2407

What is going on at Konami? Seriously, I really want to know. Is there any scheduled konami conference at E3 this year?

I can officially say without question that MGSV will be the last Konami game I ever buy.

Unless somehow MGR2 is a thing and handled exclusively by Platinum.

Hyoukokun

I have to wonder what the hell went down between Kojima's team and Konami HQ. It's plausible that this is some kind of internal power struggle, but I have to wonder if something that we don't know about forced their hand. Maybe MGS5 ran way over budget, or someone got caught up in something shady?

Hopefully the truth will come out in a few months... I assume Kojima is staying quiet for now due to NDA and/or to avoid disrupting the MGS5 launch further.

ironcreed

Banned
What is going on at Konami? Seriously, I really want to know.

l1_1yp7v.gif

kiguel182

I never played any Silent Hills game but after PT I was really curious to see what the full game would be like, specially given the talent involved.

What a waste.

Skux

You done goofed, Konami. Pushing away your best talent in Kojima and now Del Toro. And for fucking what? We have no idea what they're even doing over there.

In one week we now say "Valve" and "Konami" in the same sentence and with the same disdain as "EA" and "Ubisoft". It's just nuts.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Aw man, fuck Konami. This could've been GOTG if done right.

Come on Sony, scoop Kojima up and bring Del Toro to work with him. If there's one company that would throw cash to him, it would be Sony. I just want a horror game from both of them :(

Top Bottom