• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guillermo del Toro confirms he will not be collaborating with Kojima on Silent Hills

I knew this would happen after kojima was fired.

This is the second time his plans for a game are destroyed. Its a shame, since he has such fantastic ideas.

The problem with Guillermo del Toro is that he has too many things on his plate. Same with Haunted Mansion movie. He has like 5 or 6 projects he wants to do at the same time. The problem is not that he has them, is that he says he has them, and even does PR and shows off some material, gets people really excited, because he is really good, to then learn only one of his projects after 4 or 5 years is going to see the light of day.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Echoing everyone else saying Konami should auction off their IPs. They clearly don't give a shit about the console business anymore, so it's their best move to grab some big cash from that area before fucking off to pachislot land. Win-win.

Defuser

Come on Guillermo... just work with Kojima with another company to make that game. It doesn't have to be called Silent Hill....

Echoing everyone else saying Konami should auction off their IPs. They clearly don't give a shit about the console business anymore, so it's their best move to grab some big cash from that area before fucking off to pachislot land. Win-win.

Its not going to happen, even Atari that is a fucking zombie doesnt do it. It only would happen if it goes under like THQ, and I dont think the company per se is going down soon.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
These guys act like their bank accounts are all empty. If any of them wanted it to happen then they would have done something about it sooner, unless this is a major PR stunt. All these things to work around while lots of developers get whoever they want on board when the $ money $ is being poured in.

When they showed the 2nd footage of the PT feature at TGS this man was no where to be found? In fact, what was he going to do work exclusively with Kojima? Possibly Skype him? Were they going to meet up somewhere and work inside a studio?

Edit: He was in a video they aired IIRC. I take that back. Pre-recorded footage.

Alright, Sony just hire Toro and Kojima and make the game with the name Silent Chills.

There, no copyright infringement or anything.

HabeeNo

Fuck you Konami.

Is there any way for our rant to reach them and show that there's not a single person pleased about this cancellation?

Seriously Konami...

wwyp.gif

Not all that surprised though, fucking SUCKS.

Petrae

Its not going to happen, even Atari that is a fucking zombie doesnt do it. It only would happen if it goes under like THQ, and I dont think the company per se is going down soon.

Exactly. Konami will be sticking around for at least some time after it exits console gaming operations. No rush to sell its IP.

I wouldn't mind him and Kojima making a Siren game with Sony Japan. I really liked PT but, to be honest, I didn't want a SH game from them. That series has had enough.

Siren however...

gabbo

Konami: Move over Activision, EA and Ubisoft.

Nah. Those companies release terrible dreck annually and then micro-transaction that same dreck and have terrible consumer policies.

Konami doesn't even get to the first part of actually releasing things. They're not anti-consumer, more anti-console game business.

Darkangel

Is there any way Sony could salvage this? They could get Project Siren to develop it.

Toyama created Silent Hill after all...

Yep, they're done with AAA development aside from the Metal Gear series. I would imagine whatever they had Mercury Steam developing is cancelled, too.

Forkball

Wow, I'm shocked. I don't know how much work they've put into it yet, but it seems strange to completely scrap it. Are we sure it's completely cancelled, or maybe Del Toro just isn't involved anymore?

m@cross

Wow... so a game company has challenged as worst by NOT making games vs companies making bad games.. thought I would never see this.

Guess this will make it easier to buy FIFA over PES next time I buy a foozball game...

Maybe they will sell their license to a game making company?

I knew this would happen after kojima was fired.

The problem with Guillermo del Toro is that he has too many things on his plate. Same with Haunted Mansion movie. He has like 5 or 6 projects he wants to do at the same time. The problem is not that he has them, is that he says he has them, and even does PR and shows off some material, gets people really excited, because he is really good, to then learn only one of his projects after 4 or 5 years is going to see the light of day.

That's actually not that uncommon to see with a lot of notable figures in that industry. I think it's just a bit more noticeable in his case since, iirc, he does a lot of his own concept work.

I hate when business gets in the way of creativity : ( this could have been something really great. If he goes on kick starter to find another horror game I'd back it in a heart beat.

The need for a next gen siren is at critical levels now...you know what, the rest of Team silent should jus leave and SCEJ should employ them.

liquidtmd

Banned
Thats incredibly disappointing.

Well, so Konami is now....literally....just Metal Gear and Pro Evolution soccer.

They can argue semantics, but Kojima was purely Metal Gear.

I was going to ditch MG when Kojima made good on his years of saying he'd walk away from the franchise anyway. Now that decision is cast iron

Kssio_Aug

So P.T was just a tease for nothing? WTF?
Konami is really in a hole it seems. I dont expect nothing from them after MGSV.

Top Bottom