• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guillermo del Toro confirms he will not be collaborating with Kojima on Silent Hills

N° 2048

Wait, Silent Hills is cancelled?

The game with the guy from the Walking Dead? Based off the P.T demo???

Cancelled????

:( :( :(

Pilgrimzero

Yup done with Konami. They've ruined every franchise they have. As others mentioned here I will get the next Metal Gear used and that's it.

Konomi needs to die off, sell their stuff to studios that might actually give a shit.

Skux

You done goofed, Konami.

In one week we now say "Valve" and "Konami" in the same sentence and with the same disdain as "EA" and "Ubisoft".

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Part of me wants Konami to sell off its video game side but how does that even work? You have to imagine that many of their higher ups and employees are there to make games because that's what they want to do. That would be such a radical shift in their identity.

I guess the future will tell if they're interested in making games going forward or how that's all going to work.

Man I really wish Konami would just shut down their gaming division and sell off all their IPs. Sony getting ahold of SH, MGS, and ZOE would be a dream come true.

Petrae

Konami walking away from console video game publishing is all but inevitable-- the question is no longer "if" but "when".

Perhaps TPP undersells. Konami no longer sees the benefit of hiring staff to create another Metal Gear game after security had shown Kojima off of its property. PES isn't a huge seller, either. Management decides to abandon console game development and publishing in this case by 2016.

Or...

Perhaps TPP sells a decent amount. Konami brass decide to greenlight another Metal Gear game and hire staff. Upon release in 2017, the game sells less than TPP after fans generally reject it. Konami walks away within a year.

Konami will fall back on its other investments and operations. Gambling, health clubs, and even some mobile game development probably remain. Unlike previous scenarios with Midway and THQ, though, Konami IP won't be pennies on the dollar for acquisition-- in fact, Konami may not part with them at all. That means IP like Castlevania, Metal Gear, Gradius, and the Hudson stable of franchises would remain locked away.

That's probably the worst part of what happens when Konami makes its exit.

ZarKryn7

Kojima could just start off with either joining Sony Japan, or make his own studio. Him and Sony could probably do something with Siren or just make PT without being named PT.

AHA-Lambda

:(

pou_7153.png

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
And just like that, Konami is the worst gaming company in the world! Great going guys. Great going...

Kusagari

I wouldn't be surprised if Konami shutters all in house development and just loans out their IP to other developers and remains simply a publisher.

Skux

I'll pick up MGSV but then I am done with Konami. They have nothing to offer me any more. They botched Castlevania LoS 2, fucked MGS and now Silent Hills is down the toilet.

Mr_L

How awful. Guillermo doesn't deserve this, let alone Silent Hills. I just don't get it, Konami. I just don't get it.

What's with everyone wanting X company to save Y property? That almost never happens.

It depends on the company and how things were left off with the project at its origin, of which neither were favorable for a lot of notable projects that I'm sure you're thinking of. I'm not sure where the development side comes into it with in wanting Sony of Japan to take it on though.

Zetta

Well as much as I wanted to play MGS5 I'll have to wait on a used version now. Konami can go to hell, such a promising game down the drain.

Sad but predictable. PT was a really unique experience and was one of the few things to get me excited about silent hill in a long time.

You done goofed, Konami.

In one week we now say "Valve" and "Konami" in the same sentence and with the same disdain as "EA" and "Ubisoft".
Seriously, what the hell?! Did we wake up in the twilight zone?!
On topic: This sucks, PT looked amazing and was creepy as hell. And now its gone...thanks a ton Konami.

Kojima could just start off with either joining Sony Japan, or make his own studio. Him and Sony could probably do something with Siren or just make PT without being named PT.

This is what I'm thinking too; that it could be carried on in some form without the name. Just because Kojima can no longer make Silent Hills, doesn't mean he can't make a great horror game independent of Konami. Kinda like Mikami and The Evil Within. Exactly like that, actually.

I guess all eyes are on Kojima to see what he does next.

bigol

This would really suck, if confirmed.

Pro Evolution Soccer co-developed by ex Pes Team + Sony developers. Please, KONAMI, sell all of your IPs. In your hands they are condemned to mediocrity.

Pandy

Konami walking away from console video game publishing is all but inevitable-- the question is no longer "if" but "when".

Perhaps TPP undersells. Konami no longer sees the benefit of hiring staff to create another Metal Gear game after security had shown Kojima off of its property. PES isn't a huge seller, either. Management decides to abandon console game development and publishing in this case by 2016.

Or...

Perhaps TPP sells a decent amount. Konami brass decide to greenlight another Metal Gear game and hire staff. Upon release in 2017, the game sells less than TPP after fans generally reject it. Konami walks away within a year.

Konami will fall back on its other investments and operations. Gambling, health clubs, and even some mobile game development probably remain. Unlike previous scenarios with Midway and THQ, though, Konami IP won't be pennies on the dollar for acquisition-- in fact, Konami may not part with them at all. That means IP like Castlevania, Metal Gear, Gradius, and the Hudson stable of franchises would remain locked away.

That's probably the worst part of what happens when Konami makes its exit.
Pretty sure I read in the Kojima firing thread that they were already hiring for the next MGS. I expect they'll do the same with Silent Hills.

Your long term forecast of fan rejection, falling sales, and an exit from the market, still seems reasonable. I also agree that while the company is doing well elsewhere, an IP fire-sale is unlikely.

Petrae

Don't worry Silent Hill fans, I am sure Konami is hard at work on a Silent Hill Pachinko game.

Definitely a reason why Konami doesn't sell off its IP when it walks away-- applying those familiar IP to slots/pachinko machines is a way to attract players.

Top Bottom