• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear 2 Announced for Xbox 360 (3D, RTS elements)

MoxManiac

dfyb said:
i guess if the only thing you look for in a fighting game is high res sprites :lol

seriously, guilty gear xx accent core is brand new (ps2, wii). if you want a new 2D fighter/guilty gear, it's already here.

this is just another guilty gear spinoff nobody wants or needs.

Well considering SSF2T is one of the best fighting games ever made, i'd say he's looking for more :p

Tain

Severely disappointed that this isn't an arcade game.

When I first saw the shots, I thought it could be an awesome fast-paced action-strategy game with short matches and streamlined controls. I guess it could still be good, but I'm not exactly optimistic.

tehbear

jarrod said:
Isn't this basically Guilty Gear Musou Empires then? I surprised more people aren't interested?

People (including me) are just disappointed the proper sequel to GG is not being made. 2D fighters fit the "dying genre" tag so incredibly well.

Musou's a fine game dont' get me wrong, but all the dreams of hi res sprites, new GG characters, and new art is being crushed by market realities and 3D. Perhaps 2D don't deserve a future, it won't keep me from bitching though :/

jarrod

Banned
I can see why some might be upset but, uh... I think we'll probably see a GGX3 anyway. This basically seems like SC Legends to me, a genre divergent spinoff and we'll likely see the X fighter line continue.

Hrmm... It's not a fighter, so I won't get my hopes up. But I did enjoy Kingdom Under Fire, so if this turns out better than that, that'd be awesome.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I can't wait for this.

Especially if it has a kickass-rockin trademark Guilty Gear soundtrack.

HEAVEN OR HELL!

And with Ishiwatari at the helm, it's sure to be good. :D Looks like they're continuing the GG story to boot.

Grifter

You guys clamoring for GGXXX need to try Accent Core. I adjusted to that more than I did from X to XX, not that any of the updates were as minor as the SF2 versions like some people seem to think.

As for GGXX2 being in good hands with Daisuke, Isuka was in his hands too...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Matix said:
GUILTY GEAR 2 (360): New *GameTrailers* Gameplay Montage
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5508.html

"Oh Hell" :lol :lol
PicardWtf.jpg

USD

gketter said:
ewwwwwwwww

I don't want to play Dynasty Warriors: Guilty Gear edition. Why couldn't we get a kickass super high res 2D fighter? :( :(
Play Accent Core on PS3, upscaling FTW. You people act like Accent Core totally didn't just come out.

That was awesome and bizarre. A true sequel would be nice but hell there's half a dozen of them allready. It's cool they're doing something different and this is certainly a unique looking game. I've not seen much on the story though, at what point does it take place and will we be seeing the rest of the cast in this game? Can you only play as Sol (hope not)?

Well, I just got back from TGS and tried this game out. I was a bit surprised; I actually kinda liked it. I wished could play more, but only the Tutorial section was available, which only had Sol and two buyable servant types. Makes me wonder how the later stages will play like.

The screenshots definitely don't do the game justice. It makes it look like a DW clone, but it certainly doesn't play like one. It feels more like a fast-paced hybrid third-person CTF game with RTS elements (each round, or at the least the tutorial, lasts only 5:00 minutes). The rep told me they plan to have up to 4 players competitive play on Xbox Live, and I definitely wouldn't mind playing that, hehe.

The main objective of each round is to defeat the enemy base. There are nodes that are spread throughout the map that act like resources--attack them to claim them. After a certain amount of time, each node generates cash, which allows you to buy additional soldiers, items (potions, bombs, buffs, etc.) and skills (feels more like magic though).

The left stick controls the main character (tutorial had Sol) and the face buttons perform actions (attack, power attack, jump, and use item/skill). Dashes are initiated by pressing on the left stick. I think it's only used to move around the map quickly though; I couldn't really use it in combat since it has a start-up animation, and running into walls during the dash knocks you down.

The game has a lock-on feature similar to the newer Zelda games, and it gives you access to a larger number of attacks and combinations (i.e. left stick + face button = diff attack or sidestep). The locked-on attacks are definitely stronger than standard attacks, but they can only attack a single unit. The non-locked attacks can attack groups but are far weaker in comparison.

The directional pad in general buys items/skills/soldiers or controls your troops (I think the commands were advance, defend and retreat). After you buy a soldier, you select its route throughout the map (usually to the enemy's base). The items and buyable skills have a bar and cooldown timer similar to WoW, and you can switch between items/skills with LB and RB. You can purchase items, skills and soldiers anywhere on the map, but everything is still in real-time, so nodes will be rushed and enemies will still attack.

It's a fun game, but I think Arc made a mistake by calling it Guilty Gear 2. They could've easily called it something else.

Top Bottom