• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd PC |OT| Get down to 4k rock!

Essay

I got this game the other day on the Steam sale, and just got around to trying it today. While I am pretty bad at traditional fighters, and this one is no exception, there's one thing I wanted to bring up in here.

I tried using a Steam Controller and was pleasantly surprised. The main beef I had with all the other controllers available to me (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U Pro controller) was that they don't have any kind of octogate on the analog stick, and only the Wii U Pro Controller has an ideal D-pad, however it's kind of a pain to set up to get to work.

I tried the most popular binding for the Steam controller and was actually pleasantly surprised. You can use the D-pad or the analog stick on it, but I prefer the D-pad.

For those that don't know, the Steam controller's D-pad doesn't work like a traditional D-pad. There's the + shaped grooves in the pad, and it can be configured like a mouse touchpad, D-pad, and a few other functions. With the D-pad functionality, the way it's read is based on where your thumb is, NOT where you press it. This means it doesn't "click" if you were doing a "hadouken" motion on it. It just has a click when you press down on it, but moving your thumb around it, the feedback you get is from the + shaped grooves and the haptic feedback.

The default for the config I used had the d-pad not require a click, which seemed weird to me, then I gave it a try and realized how much I liked it. It actually feels very good, and much better than any analog stick for a traditional fighting game. It's no arcade stick, but it still feels pretty good.

This is obviously just me, but my problem with the analog stick on this controller, and others is that often I screw up quick inputs and accidentally input another direction. For instance there was something in the tutorial (I forget what), that required a half circle backward and then pressing forward. I kept trying and trying with the analog stick and could not get it down consistently becuase I accidentally hit what was read as an "up" input when trying to push forward after the half circle. Doing this on the left touchpad/D-pad was really easy and I could do it every single time.

This actually sounds really interesting. I'd be curious to try this out and see how some of the more elaborate motions feel on it, like instant airdashes, tiger-knee Axl Bombers and dash-momentum Beak Drivers/Tandem Tops.

ArjanN

New patch is out!

v1.02 Patch (Jan 15th)
15 JANUARI - ARCSYSTEMWORKS
The following issues have been addressed and fixed as of the current update:

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed issue where upon connecting certain controllers, players experience a gradual decrease in frame rates.
- Fixed issue where players crash in Online Player's Room when they attempt to chat, especially if their Steam nicknames are too long.
- Fixed issue where the players' Steam nicknames end up getting distorted if the names contain non-alphanumeric letters.

Improved features:
- Added a new function to the button settings to allow players to define their own Pause button. The default key is "Spacebar".

Astarte

Ranked is pretty much dead and people just make private lobbies instead of public ones. Public lobbies are either so popular that they're constantly filled or not being made period.

wwm0nkey

In other news, it looks like it is about to break 50k sales. Still the fastest selling GG title on Steam and I am sure another sale will bump it up again.

Ranked is pretty much dead and people just make private lobbies instead of public ones. Public lobbies are either so popular that they're constantly filled or not being made period.
I'd kinda like to see fighting games provide incentives for public player matches as a way to encourage casual lobby play. Right now fighting games just sort of let people do whatever they want completely and it results in weird player habits that can hurt the longevity of an online scene. Some fighters are mostly populated by private parties, others are mostly ranked game centric and others might only focus on regular player matches to the detriment of everything else. An effort to encourage public lobby play alongside ranked play (which already uses leaderboards as an incentive) would really help.
In other news, it looks like it is about to break 50k sales. Still the fastest selling GG title on Steam and I am sure another sale will bump it up again.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is the fastest selling ASW title on Steam. It would probably be close to 100k by now had they brought back the launch discount for the winter sale.

Fighting games, of any type are just not popular enough to encourage a healthy online population. This is of course exacerbated by how much of an impact latency has on the experience it self.

Even with large player pools like say CoD, you see 90% of the population drift to one or two specific game types. Your best bet is to have such a massive player pool that the remaining few players that are scattered across various game modes are still sizable enough in number to sustain them.

ArjanN

Literally every time I've played I've seen a bunch of half full lobbies. People still play ranked as well but the problem with ranked is you can't really know what you're getting connection-wise, since the connection indicator fluctuates for too long.

Fighting games, of any type are just not popular enough to encourage a healthy online population. This is of course exacerbated by how much of an impact latency has on the experience it self.

Even with large player pools like say CoD, you see 90% of the population drift to one or two specific game types. Your best bet is to have such a massive player pool that the remaining few players that are scattered across various game modes are still sizable enough in number to sustain them.

SF4 has been super healthy online for years and years now all the way up to SFV.

Marz

Disagree. Fighting games are 1v1 and a lot of good players can play multiple characters.

Even something as small as an 100 player dedicated base could be seen as healthy imo.

I don't care about the solutions that can only be implemented by AAA fighting game devs. Smaller, cheaper innovations for niche titles are far more interesting to me. Improvements like multi-fight lobbies, GGPO netcode, custom delay settings pre-match and such are cool because they can be implemented from the bottom up. Skullgirls, BlazBlue and Guilty Gear are never going to sell SF or MK numbers, so providing incentives to encourage a healthy spread of players throughout the different fighting modes is worth trying. I wish cross-play could fit somewhere in there, but I fear that is an innovation that would cost a pretty penny for any company smaller than ASW.
Disagree. Fighting games are 1v1 and a lot of good players can play multiple characters.

Even something as small as an 100 player dedicated base could be seen as healthy imo.
That is too low for an online population. SG is pretty much the floor for a healthy online fighting scene and it averages around 300 players a day. MK and SF are healthier with an average of 1500 iirc.

T.O.P

Banned
Patch 1.03 is up (3.4gb)

Bug Fix:
- Improved stability for online player matchings.

Improved Features:
- Added a new FPS indicator to display the player's FPS ratings, similar to the display for network performance antenna icon.

I wonder if this fixes the random connection icons i get online

Starts at 4, go down to 0, back to 2, then to 4, and down to 2 again

It takes me 30 seconds to actually understand if the other guy has a decent connection or not

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So this has already made the rounds in a few places, but just in case no one has seen it yet, someone added in a hitbox overlay to the game.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/forums/topic/12495-xrd-pc-hitbox-overlay-mod/

It's not finished, yet. Projectiles still don't have their hitboxes yet but it's still great for checking out normals.

That's hot. I dunno why that's not standard on fighters now a days. I mean Marvel 3 for the PSP2 has it, but the PS360 version doesn't. Which is just... "WTF."

That's hot. I dunno why that's not standard on fighters now a days. I mean Marvel 3 for the PSP2 has it, but the PS360 version doesn't. Which is just... "WTF."

GWMpoan.png
Never forget.

Yeah, it's really something that should be essential nowadays. For most ArcSys games we're out of luck unless someone is kind enough to upload them to Dustloop. Outside of Skullgirls and UMvC3 Vita are there any titles that have hitbox viewers in-game?

T.O.P

Banned
Never forget.

Yeah, it's really something that should be essential nowadays. For most ArcSys games we're out of luck unless someone is kind enough to upload them to Dustloop. Outside of Skullgirls and UMvC3 Vita are there any titles that have hitbox viewers in-game?

Only Killer Instinct afaik

Well, unsurprisingly, it feels like the new patch made things worse. The "waiting for opponents" lobby glitch is back, ping is still a bad indicator of a connection, and I'm still having trouble connecting to lobbies that I shouldn't. Outside of adding an FPS counter to the ping, which I'm not even sure what that's for since EVERY room I've seen has been a 4, I don't know what the end result of the latest humongous patch was.

T.O.P

Banned
Patch absolutely killed the netcode for me, i spent 2 hours last night trying to play with my friends without going over 5F delays

fuckin hell

Seyavesh

oh this is where this thread went

well, i made some dumb mod real fast that changes the shadows to be pitch black like those palettes in other arcsys games because i saw an example of it for axl and was like 'yeah i want that'
unfortunately actually using mods is annoying- there's no simple 'put this file in there and don't think about it ever again' you gotta use a dang injector

ejoeDO2.jpg

qScVqTH.jpg

here's a comparison to tell the diff i guess
L1FczjI.jpg

Zomba13

well, i made some dumb mod real fast that changes the shadows to be pitch black like those palettes in other arcsys games because i saw an example of it for axl and was like 'yeah i want that'
unfortunately actually using mods is annoying- there's no simple 'put this file in there and don't think about it ever again' you gotta use a dang injector

Wow, that looks really slick.

Looks pretty good, but that's pretty much the strength of the art style. It looks really nice when stylized like that. I mean they tweaked a bit in Revelator on their own anyway.

Falk

that puzzling face

I gotta admit I can't tell the difference.

edit: Nevermind, I'm a complete idiot and was comparing Sol on the left in the first shot with Sol on the left in the third shot.

Decado

How many players are online? Is the netcode good now?

Trying to decide between this, SFV, upcoming steam releases of BlazBlue and (hopefully) Revelator.

It was doing better prior to SFV's release. About 400 concurrent, which was plenty enough to find a match. Street Fighter is probably going to swallow other fighting games for a few months. Which is unfortunate, for Xrd, KI and BB.

ArjanN

New patch is out on Steam:

v1.04 Patch (Mar 18th)

- Further improved the mechanics and stability for network matchings.
- Fixed an issue where the game's process does not end properly despite the user closing the program.
- Fixed a bug where the player is unable to accept Rank Matches if they are in the M.O.M. Mode.
- Fixed a bug where the filters in the Rank Match do not work as intended.
- Fixed an issue where the user was unable to move the game window when they have set the game to the largest possible resolution setting in Windowed mode.

Added Features:
- Added a new FPS indicator to display the player's FPS ratings, similar to the display for network performance antenna icon. (Fixed a critical bug present in v1.03).
- Players can now save replays of any Rounds/Match settings.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of want to go back into this game after SFV distracted me for a bit, when I get back from work. Anyone newish to GG in the EU still playing this?

enbred

Banned
Hey GAF, please crucify me if this seems irrelevant at this point in time.

I read this whole thread and my concern is about downsampling this game. I followed all instruction, copy pasted settings, tried everything. With GeDoSaTo, the game still throws me back to 720 resolution once i hit ALT+ENTER :(

El Sabroso

Hey GAF, please crucify me if this seems irrelevant at this point in time.

I read this whole thread and my concern is about downsampling this game. I followed all instruction, copy pasted settings, tried everything. With GeDoSaTo, the game still throws me back to 720 resolution once i hit ALT+ENTER :(

are you playing SIGN or REVELATOR ? because GeDoSaTo only worked in SIGN for me

enbred

Banned
are you playing SIGN or REVELATOR ? because GeDoSaTo only worked in SIGN for me

Hey, yeah sorry i probably should have mentioned in my post that i am in fact playing REVELATOR. It's odd that, i was able to get some post processing effects to work (which i suppose proves in someway that it should work theoretically) but not resolution.

El Sabroso

oh I see, for REVELATOR I had to change my desktop resolution and use the same steps that zoobzone gave ya so I can have downsampling from 4k or 1620P to 1080p

Top Bottom