• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero On Tour for DS revealed! (first info, pictures and video!)

Christine

studio810 said:
They need to have downloadable songs for this.

That would require both an SD card slot and quite probably a small fast RAM cache in the peripheral part, adding significantly to its cost. The DS doesn't have enough system memory to hold an entire downloaded song, and streaming stuff from SD through the GBA port is problematic without support hardware like what the Slot-2 flashcards have.

TwinIonEngines said:
That would require both an SD card slot and quite probably a small fast RAM cache in the peripheral part, adding significantly to its cost. The DS doesn't have enough system memory to hold an entire downloaded song, and streaming stuff from SD through the GBA port is problematic without support hardware like what the Slot-2 flashcards have.
The button attachment could have onboard memory

I said wow.

But why is it missing a button?

Christine

jamesinclair said:
The button attachment could have onboard memory

Which would make it quite a bit more expensive than a bit of plastic with four buttons and a card edge connector. I don't want this game to be $90.

TheGreatDave said:
Do any of the videos show chords?
At least one screenshot does.

This is so weird. It looks like they've thought about it so it will work, but it's just so odd there's still chance it could utterly suck. Just wait for hands on impressions, I guess.

JonathanEx said:
One screenshot does.

Thats OK then. I don't want a hardcore game, but I was worried they would just stick to 4 buttons = 4 notes. Which would be a bit dull.

I'll obviously get this anyway. Vicarious are a good dev, they have done good stuff on DS.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ruud_Luiten said:
Hmm do not wan't. Doesn't look very comfortable to play. Aaandd... it's far from playing a guitar. Nice try though

that's okay, the same is true of GH3

/davebait

Christine

TheGreatDave said:
I don't think Nintendo would let that happen. Maybe two different versions?

I totally think Nintendo would let that happen. DS Phat is outnumbered more than 2-1 by Lite, and all current sales are the Lite. I doubt that the potential sales for the Phat version is worth the trouble of doing multiple game SKUs for Activision, and Nintendo is going to let Activision call the shots. I know that Nintendo did two versions of the Opera browser, but that was released when Phat was at least 50% of extant DS units.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Wow that looks awful. Made worse by only four buttons and what I'm sure will be way too few songs.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
At first I was skeptical, but this doesn't look too bad. It'll propel the DS's popularity even higher, that's for sure.

The Jer

The game/attachment looks really cool and looks like it'll work really well.

but... only four buttons.
The game is ten times less fun if you aren't fretting.

The Jer

2dh8olk.jpg

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I honestly believe this is a disgrace to all skilled Guitar Hero players. I know that statement may sound weird to all real guitarists, but really. This looks terrible. People will buy it, however.

This looks so shitty. The advertisement made it even worse. Strumming on the touch screen could also be a serious problem.

I will admit, however, that the fret button placement is rather nice.

Looks like the flames on the guitar are part of the new battle system.

"The game's battle mode will feature similar gameplay as the mode created in Guitar Hero III, with power-ups created specifically for Guitar Hero: On Tour. For example, players can activate power-ups that'll send raving fans to the other screen, and the opponent will have to sign autographs on the touchscreen to get rid of them. Or out-of-control pyrotechnics will be set ablaze, and players will have to blow them out using the Nintendo DS microphone."

and a bit of info about the bands...a tiny oh so tiny bit

"On Tour will contain a line-up of more than 20 licensed songs from bands as Nirvana, OK Go, and No Doubt"

I'll buy it pretty much no matter what because I am a consumer whore with too much disposable income at the moment. :D

Ostesaks

Wow, this looks good. Didn't have high hopes for this. Just started playing Guitar hero too, so this suits me fine.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
oxtailsoup said:
For example, players can activate power-ups that'll send raving fans to the other screen, and the opponent will have to sign autographs on the touchscreen to get rid of them. Or out-of-control pyrotechnics will be set ablaze, and players will have to blow them out using the Nintendo DS microphone.

Oh God.

CajoleJuice said:
This thread is all a huge in-joke right?

No one is actually going to buy and play this, right?

Right?

Im probably not going to buy it, but I dont think it looks horrible. I was thinking about it earlier, but I doubt I would ever carry this thing around to play on the go and at home I have Rock Band to play. I have no real reason to lower my standards to 4 button Guitar Hero on the DS. For people who are willing to play this on the go or people who dont own any console or PC, I think they might want to pick it up.

Mash

Black_Ice said:
I honestly believe this is a disgrace to all skilled Guitar Hero players. I know that statement may sound weird to all real guitarists

Yep.

Anyway, I think it looks pretty neat. I'll obviously be a wimp and wait for the reviews to roll in but I can live with the shitty blowing on the screen thing if it's any near as fun as Elite Beats and Ouendan. Some of you are such drama queens.

Redd said:
I'm getting this. Should tide me over until Elite Beat Agents 2 hits. Looks like they put alot of thought into this DS version. I'll probably look like an idiot though in the parking lot blowing into the DS.:D
Did I miss something? EBA2 was announced?

Peru

CajoleJuice said:
This thread is all a huge in-joke right?

No one is actually going to buy and play this, right?

Right?
Of course we are.

Some of us are rhythm game -oholics and a portable Guitar Hero is a must just to at least try it out.

I won't ever play it in public, but sure I'll play it in hotel rooms and on family holidays.

I play Guitar Hero at expert level so I'm hoping and expecting that the challenge and notes will be adjusted according to the new four-finger set-up. It's entirely possible to make it as challenging by tweaking it around. It's not like all other great rhythm games have at least five buttons! I'm impressed by the solution, I couldn't really envision a comfortable grip before I saw that build.

Gryphter said:
this looks awesome! day 1

I couldn't watch the video due to gaming sites being blocked at work, but I just checked the youtube link posted on this page.

that commercial was all sorts of embarrasing... I retract my day 1 statement and am now uneasy/skeptical on this. we'll wait for hands on reviews and pricing

Top Bottom