• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero On Tour for DS revealed! (first info, pictures and video!)

Black_Ice said:
Well, it's obvious that I base my initial reactions off of what I see. Maybe (big maybe) if I see more I'll change my opinion.

Btw, I never said 4 frets makes the game easy. I think it'll make it a bit harder actually.

So what is your basis for thinking the game is an insult to expert Guitar Hero players?

Bebpo said:
Not touching this with a 10-foot pole. Looks really uncomfortable to hold and not drop the DS if you aren't laying it flat.
Bebpo, how in the Taru God's name could you possibly drop something that's strapped to your hand?

Do you have gross motor skill deficiencies? Like, are you one of those helmet kids?

Actually, that would explain sooooo much

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
TheGreatDave said:
So what is your basis for thinking the game is an insult to expert Guitar Hero players?

Like I said, it just seems like a poor cash which wouldn't be fun for expert players.

However, the Guitar Hero III ad is shitty and at first glance it would seem as if it isn't for expert GH players. But, it certainly is fun for me and you.

kswiston

Looks kind of cool. Not something I'd buy necessarily, but I can see a market for this.

EDIT:

ICallItFutile said:
I probably wouldn't buy it but no phat version, no buy possible.

Haha. I guess I couldn't buy it if I wanted to then!

ZeoVGM

Banned
-jinx- said:
If it makes you feel any better, I will make the implied "based on this description" explicit.

However, I don't see why you're surprised or indignant at my reaction. Based on what makes Guitar Hero a good game, how can this game NOT completely suck? Instead of a controller which is comfortable and more-or-less resembles an instrument, you have a handful of colored buttons tacked onto the bottom of a handheld. Instead of a system which can play CD-quality audio through decent speakers, you have a handheld which is underpowered in the audio department. Instead of five fret buttons which allow for several levels of complexity, you get four buttons. Instead of a game with 50-60 songs, you get...20 songs? And, oh, they also not only are keeping around the annoying-as-fuck boss battle thing from GH3, but they are making it worse by making you do stupid shit like blowing on your system? And reducing how portable your DS is by making you carry around another piece of equipment? (I'm not saying the last one is necessarily real, but then again, half of GAF thinks that the PSP's gargantuan size makes it completely non-portable when compared to a DS, so obviously those folks must be upset here...right?)

Look, music/rhythm games are awesome, and I'm all for them. DS already has EBA/Ouendan, and you would think that games that played something like Frequency or Amplitude would work great on a DS as well. PSP has some awesome ones as well -- DJ Max Portable, Gitaroo Man, etc. The thing which pisses me off here is that this game has the NAME of Guitar Hero, but absolutely none of what made Guitar Hero such a successful franchise.

I'd say you're overreacting quite a bit.

The song count does suck, but we just don't know if this will be comfortable. The 4 fret thing doesn't bother me, as long as they make up for it in the difficulty. And I don't think the boss fights were annoying-as-fuck. They were pretty fun.

I'm glad to see them trying to actually do this with an accessory rather than take the easy way out and do a Frequency clone. And they have a generally good developer behind it. It could be great and it could suck.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They're still going to have battle mode in these games? I guess I didn't throw the right person into that wood chipper. Oh well... try, try again.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Bebpo said:
Not touching this with a 10-foot pole. Looks really uncomfortable to hold and not drop the DS if you aren't laying it flat.

Perhaps you should look into the game a little more before pointing out false negatives. :p

There's no reason why anyone would drop their DS. It straps around your hand. The video points this out.

Segata Sanshiro said:
That's actually pretty clever.

I'm now cautiously looking forward to this, which is more than I could have said a couple of days ago.

This.

C'mon, guys, you already knew this was Guitar Hero on DS. All the problems are the problems you could have already expected (bad sound quality, small tracklist, "goofy") only it looks like some actual thought was put into trying to make it play in a clever and fun way. Give it some points for originality, at least!

klausbert

I'd never buy me a console guitar hero, the plastic guitars are just ugly and i don't have any space for them that wouldn't be better used with a real guitar. So this might be my first guitar hero, if it turns out good.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't get why people are complaining about its inferiorities when compared to the console versions. Of course it's inferior, it's a handheld version of a peripheral-based console game. Considering what it's supposed to be, I think it looks like they did a damn good job at making a portable version.

It's not like it's supposed to be a replacement or anything, it's just an extra thing so you can get your Guitar Hero fix on the go if you really want to.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
lame, but will sell a lottt of copies.

what would be cool, though, is if they use the gba port plugin to store all the songs on to workaround the limitations of the ds memory. is that possible without being prohibitively expensive?

Crovax33 said:
$60, talked to someone who tested it and he said it gave very bad hand cramps.

That seems odd, it LOOKS like it'd be very similar to the hand positioning you use with your left hand while holding the guitar controller on the console versions.

I'm still shocked at what a great idea this is. And as you guys said, I'm sure they'll include some high difficulty stuff even with 4 frets. I doubt they'll ignore the GH faithful. Personally, I don't need that level of difficulty yet, but I'd be shocked if they don't at least try to crank it up on their Expert setting.

Gigglepoo

Segata Sanshiro said:
I dunno, generally, once you've whipped out the NDS in public, the lame train has already sailed, so at that point it's about not looking insane on top of dorky. I thiiiiink I could play this without looking too crazy, blowing on the screen aside.

That particular mechanic has relegated many a game to the "not playing in public" pile. Hopefully there's an alternative way to activate star power.

I don't care about how I look at all - I play my NDS waiting in line at Walgreens - I just think the game sounds excruciatingly lame.

tha_con said:
The only thing I can think of watching this video is...when will they make Accordion Hero?
Maybe when all those HOT BUMPIN' SEXY DOPE POLKA JAMZ start burning up the pop charts?

Segata Sanshiro said:
I dunno, generally, once you've whipped out the NDS in public, the lame train has already sailed, so at that point it's about not looking insane on top of dorky. I thiiiiink I could play this without looking too crazy, blowing on the screen aside.
Don't you live in Japan now? Isn't playing DS on the train there considered pretty much normal?

Anyway, if the On Tour songs stay exclusive to it, I'll consider getting it. If all of them appear on GH4 then fuck it.

Ydahs

Looks interesting. I probably won't buy it unless it gets glowing reviews across the board. Didn't expect it to work like that.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Bojangles said:
This should never have been made.

_blogger_4256_375_320_four_eyes_illusion_1.jpg

Yeah, I feel the same way right now.

charlequin said:
C'mon, guys, you already knew this was Guitar Hero on DS. All the problems are the problems you could have already expected (bad sound quality, small tracklist, "goofy") only it looks like some actual thought was put into trying to make it play in a clever and fun way. Give it some points for originality, at least!
I was half expecting that they'd play to the DS's strengths a little better and design an original rhythm game using the Guitar Hero name and "universe". Instead, it just looks like they're trying to directly copy GH's gameplay on the DS, but with so many concessions that it loses most of what makes GH fun and challenging on consoles.

This peripheral is a pretty clever solution, which I'll give them credit for, but I think the core concept of Guitar Hero on the DS is hugely flawed to begin with.

Ranger X

Hmm... No sir. Didn't like it.

I would have liked it horizontal, the four buttons being the DS's ones and using the stylus with my left hand. It would be hard to make a quadruple note but are those happening at all??

bafflewaffle said:
Maybe when all those HOT BUMPIN' SEXY DOPE POLKA JAMZ start burning up the pop charts?

Don't you live in Japan now? Isn't playing DS on the train there considered pretty much normal?

Anyway, if the On Tour songs stay exclusive to it, I'll consider getting it. If all of them appear on GH4 then fuck it.
Seems to depend on the game. It's crucial in Japan to never appear like you're having any enjoyment whatsoever in life unless you're drinking. So Brain Training and RPGs are win, shooters and Ouendan style tap-taps get you the GAIJIN STARE.

neptunes said:
And some of you wanted to get RID of the gameboy port
How can it use this port because the ds lite and the phat ds have a different length GBA port (GBA games sick out of the DS lite) Looking at the video it may only work with the DS lite.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
FlyinJ said:
Blowing on the screen is one of the stupidest "gameplay enhancing" features of the DS. You're basically spitting on your screen. It's disgusting. And what does it add to the experience? Absolutely nothing.

That followed by having to make a noise into the mic. I play my DS on the train. I'm not going to start yelling shit at a little plastic box, and I'm especially not going to clap my hands like M&S at the olympics wants me to.

The mic should be used for wifi chat and nothing else.

agreed. i felt like a complete moron having to make noises into my DS for zelda (and some other games i can't reember... presumably i shut them out after they required blowing on the screen)

Sorry, but do not want. I play Guitar Hero to replicate the feel of playing the guitar, not arbitrarily press fret buttons and strum a screen. Blowing on the mic to put out your guitar? This looks really, really stupid.

And why only four fret buttons? I see no excuse that they couldn't have five.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
sykoex said:
Why is everyone complaining about only 4 frets? you think the average Guitar Hero player even realizes there's a 5th fret...? Let alone knows how to properly use it?

Why should I care about the average Guitar Hero player? For people who play at higher levels, the fact that no fourth fret exists is pretty much a deal breaker.

Mdk7

The video is FUGLY, but i do like the concept.
I'll buy it for sure, i love to support creative ideas like this one.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
dammitmattt said:
Yes. This is a completely unnecessary game that completely misses the point.

And yet, watch it sell millions.

The only console I have is a DS and I want to play Guitar Hero; and if the game is in the hands of VV it will be great.

If you don't like it don't buy it, I will.

Top Bottom