• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gun store owners 'seeing up to four times as many black and minority customers'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

Here's a tinfoil hat, it's the same one the crazy conservative's been wearing when he rants about needing guns in case the government shows up to do whatever.

White nationalists being emboldened by Trump and lashing out with hate crimes isn't a conspiracy theory, it's the news.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Yes! Plenty! Check this!
You call that cute? Psshhh.

aLxpOEG.png

99LR102.png

Sibylus

Banned
Good. They've been systematically failed by legislators, police, and now it's going to get worse before it gets better with Mr. Fascist-in-chief and his inspiration to extremists everywhere. No time for the hand wringing from folk who have no idea what's it like to be in these straits. Self-defense is a practical measure of preservation when all other practical means have starkly failed. I'm trans, if I was in the States and permitted to carry, I'd make it a priority.

I generally believe in the right to own firearms but with more restrictions. I think tons of people think this way. The NRA does not represent America as much as you may think

Please tell me how a simple background check makes people lose their fucking minds, spouting off paranoia and peddling propaganda, if the NRA mindset doesn't represent a significant portion of this country. Who's to blame here?

White nationalists being emboldened by Trump and lashing out with hate crimes isn't a conspiracy theory, it's the news.

They been talking for YEARS about how to get into the mainstream. Re-branding White Supremacy has been a long process. Most don't use selg heil and all that nazi shit directly. So many more obfuscate their true intentions because they need mainstream credibility and resources.

What's that quote about dude saying "Can't say nigger anymore so we talk all this obscure economic shit that means the same thing"?

Except there is no history at all of the government going into white neighborhoods armed with army gear and tanks.

There certainly is in minority communities.

A white man who fears the government of our top get them is paranoid. Someone of color with that fear simply knows their history.

Wut...

Gun up, it's within everyone's right. But I think post election most Americans are just going back to the grind that is life.

It's cute how people wanna lecture others about this like they need to worry about a mob showing up at their door with a rope.

Lynchings aren't some bygone dead torture of a dead era. This shit happens TODAY.

Jobbs

Banned
Please tell me how a simple background check makes people lose their fucking minds, spouting off paranoia and peddling propaganda, if the NRA mindset doesn't represent a significant portion of this country. Who's to blame here?

Average people don't lose their minds

Google shows 90+% polling for expanded background checks

(one poll showed 92% for expanded and 46% for the same/reduced, to be fair, but in aggregate it's reasonable to conclude background checks are generally popular)

Orayn

Here's an article about post-election hate crimes that includes a map.

As for the tanks, are you saying that militarized police didn't roll up in armored vehicles in the wake of Ferguson and the like?

Gun up, it's within everyone's right. But I think post election most Americans are just going back to the grind that is life.

What if someone's idea of life includes oppressing people based on the color of their skin? There are plenty of folks trying to get back to that right now.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
What happened? White people elected a guy taking cues from neo-Nazis.
"Taking cues from?" Nah man, it's worse than that, he's appointing them to his cabinet.

"Taking cues from?" Nah man, it's worse than that, he's appointing them to his cabinet.

That's the worst fucking part to me. That's a huge dog whistle. Can't even call it a dog whistle. It's just a nod to all those fucks that Trump hears ya and got your back.

That's the worst fucking part to me. That's a huge dog whistle. Can't even call it a dog whistle. It's just a nod to all those fucks that Trump hears ya and got your back.

The attorney general is literally a fucking racist. Like, there's no debate about it he's a fucking racist.

How is anything supposed to get better?

SilentRob

nbcnews.com/j/msnbc/Components/Art/NEWS/050613/Chart_Lynchings.grid-6x2.gif[/IMG]

Go read them racist forums. Them mofos is straight up itching for a good ole boy "purge" of "undesirables". How you think this happened:

dylann_roof5.jpg

I mean, there are Republicans and NRA supporters doing literally exactly the same thing you just did after school shootings to advocate for (more) guns in schools and classrooms as if that would have made them more safe. Are you suggesting that carrying a gun in curch and bible studies will make them more safe? Because that is scientifically proven to be false.

I do not deny anything regarding the deeply routed racism of the US. I deny that a gun will help you defend yourself or your family, as it is statistically proven that it makes you and your wife and child more likely to get shot, as I have linked before. You are actively endangering them.

AP100629133545.jpg

Right, not a tank, might as well be to a bunch of people living in a fucking US city, but technically not a tank I suppose.

Congrats. You're technically right.

And how is your gun going to protect you from that vehicle, exactly?

I'm happy to see more fellow minority gun owners. I'm Puerto Rican, born in NY but grew up in Texas. Owning and shooting guns was just sort of a popular thing there and I've enjoyed it since the age of seven.

What I do not enjoy is the racism within the gun community down here. Case in point, the NRA's lack of a response to the Castille shooting, and I didn't buy Colion Noir's excuse for them. What happened to Mr. Castille was horrific, and I feel it could have just as easily happened to me. It's frightening being a person with brown skin and a CHL license, getting pulled over by a nervous racist redneck cop and knowing he'd love to put you away or down for what you look like. With that said however, I do feel that some of the gun community is getting friendlier to people of color who are pro gun, so I don't see more ownership as a bad thing.

To those of you who are new gun owners, welcome! If I can give any advice, it's to never carry when you're drinking (obviously), never to pull unless you are willing to destroy your target, and to check out Colonel Jeff Cooper's 4 rules on firearm safety, possibly the most important things you should know about handling a firearm. It's nice to not be nearly alone anymore, and I know we'll get through these dark times together.

Sibylus

Banned
The hyperbole from people choosing to arm themselves after this election is fucking comedy.

Yep. Lot of ineffectual white people who can't handle the fact that they've failed minorities systematically and that, yet again, those minorities have to protect themselves and not rely on white folk getting anything done.

So now GAF is ok with the 2nd amendment right, and actually in support of it? Oh politics.

i generally still disagree with it and don't support it but....

Pretty much. I'd love to live in a world where a sizable portion of my nations population didn't think I was inferior in nearly every way. Or thinks their child has a birthright to America where mine does not. Or thinks I and my entire family should be rounded up and straight up exterminated. Or would be completely indifferent if that did happen so long as they didn't "see" it.

But I don't get to live in that world. I'll be damned if it's my fault for adapting to my reality.

this is the reason (and Trump) ive very quickly realized i was too idealistic

Eh. I understand the impulse and I'm not even saying it's wrong, necessarily, but further proliferation of gun ownership just makes me uncomfortable. But I guess this country is just too far gone in that respect.

cdyhybrid

Eh. I understand the impulse and I'm not even saying it's wrong, necessarily, but further proliferation of gun ownership just makes me uncomfortable. But I guess this country is just too far gone in that respect.

If anything should make you uncomfortable it's neo-Nazis in the President's cabinet.

Good. If you have a means to make yourself feel more safe your own country then by all means go for it. I'd be arming myself to the teeth.

Its not like minorities need it for intimidation, thats always been there just cause they are minorities. This is for protection.

Its not like this is the first time a call to arms has happened. History is just repeating itself.

Kenai

You can't be serious right now. Yeah, this country really does have a sickness. I'm certainly excited for this everyone has a gun utopia.

Of course I am.

Change needs to start at the top, and i can't think of a better term for minorities under a Trump presidency than victims. Unfortunately it is changing for the worse, lucky us.

As i said, I won't buy a gun, and statistically minorities buying guns mean that i as a minority am more likely to get shot. But as some kind posters have already linked in this thread (Negros with Guns I can attest is a really eye opening book), it's a part of our history and is gonna continue to be. So much hand wringing at one symptom of a (huge) problem is meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom