• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gun store owners 'seeing up to four times as many black and minority customers'

Status
Not open for further replies.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
I still think gun laws should be more strict and require more detailed background checks I'm at a point where I feel one is needed for self defense. I will never shoot to kill. I'm not sure of the least likely place that wouldn't kill. But I wouldn't want to do that. Self defense isn't bad, aiming to kill in self defense is a lot more murky.

You're going to need a lot of training to accomplish that. Humans are very week once you put a hole in them. We tend to leak. If you hit the arm, you have a chance of hiring the radial artery. If you aim for the thy you have a chance of hitting the for femoral artery! Once that round leave that chamber, there is a high chance you might kill someone.

You're going to need a lot of training to accomplish that. Humans are very week once you put a whole in them. We tend to leak. If you hit the arm, you have a chance of hiring the radial artery. If you aim for the thy you have a chance of hitting the for femoral artery! Once that round leave that chamber, there is a high chance you might kill someone.

I don't want to kill anyone. I don't like guns much. But it stands to reason that in this climate, self defense is pretty high on my priorities. If I own a gun it would absolutely be used in a situation where it was my only option, and if they die, that would be horrible but not unprovoked.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I remember this statistic and it's why I'm so nervous about this. My heart says to ask myself while my brain says I shouldn't. To be fair, my reasoning isn't one for home defense but self defense period.

We don't have kids (yet) so it's a big reason I consider it.
The biggest source of harm that comes from guns in the home is suicide. Basically, if you're having serious emotional problems ( inordinate depression, anxiety, stress) you might consider getting a safe deposit box and locking your gun up for a little while. If you're not, just remember proper handling procedures and general safety rules.

Also, guns don't mix with alcohol or drugs, so use the same common sense as you would for operating an automobile.

Let's continue to do jack shit then.

first off, there's other ways to protect yourself, to secure your home, and a gun isn't gonna solve the perceived danger you think you're in, and all it actually does is give the most craven lobbyists/entities in this country more power and money to stifle any and every piece of legislation that could potentially make this country less fucking crazy, and less of a national embarrassment.

But yeah, gotta love those "guns are AWESOME" posts as tens of thousands of people die every year, and tens of thousands of families are shattered.

first off, there's other ways to protect yourself, to secure your home, and a gun isn't gonna solve the perceived danger you think you're in, and all it actually does is give the most craven lobbyists/entities in this country more power and money to stifle any and every piece of legislation that could potentially make this country less fucking crazy, and less of a national embarrassment.

But yeah, gotta love those "guns are AWESOME" posts as tens of thousands of people die every year, and tens of thousands of families are shattered.
First off, your avatar has two hitmen with guns in it.

Second. Owning a gun and purchasing a gun is not an evil act nor is it something to demonize people over. You can be for gun legislation and still want to own one responsibly.

But yeah, gotta love those "guns are AWESOME" posts as tens of thousands of people die every year because of a gun, and tens of thousands of families are shattered.

Who said anything about "GUNS ARE AWESOME"? I don't like them very much and before the election I was actually very anti-gun. You mention other ways to defend yourself when I have years of training in martial arts and even on that front I'd rather run than fight. I am a black woman in a very vulnerable time to be and I'm not going to let someone talk down to me because I perceive very legitimate dangers to my personal safety as merely paranoia.

Kenai

I won't buy a gun, but I will probably buy one of those clever signs about the house being guarded by shotgun three days a week to keep any depolorables second guessing.

if I were to buy anything more expensive, it would probably be surveillance equipment. Need to get that shit recorded for the courts (or social media) in case of an incident.

Don't beget a single person who does buy though, provided they train themselves to use it properly and stay cool about it.

wildfire

Banned
Every gun I own is designed to take down animals to be eaten.

image.php

Hmmmm

SilentRob

Let's continue to do jack shit then.

Obviously the answer is to do the same shit we been doing that has worked so well.

Please explain to me what you are actually planning on doing. Right now you just own (and maybe carry around?) a gun, making it 4.5 more likely that you will, in fact, get shot. You are now more unsafe than you were before.

Both of you seem to suggest it has to do with the current political climate. You want to stop doing "jack shit", you want to take action. How? How exactly do you plan on using your gun to fight America's systematic oppression? How is your gun going to help with that?

Kozak

Banned
Good.

Its about time People of Colour and Minorities start exercising their American rights to gun ownership.

First off, your avatar has two hitmen with guns in it.

Second. Owning a gun and purchasing a gun is not an evil act nor is it something to demonize people over. You can be for gun legislation and still want to own one responsibly.

Yes, Pulp Fiction is a great piece of fiction. What's your point?

Who said anything about "GUNS ARE AWESOME"? I don't like them very much and before the election I was actually very anti-gun. You mention other ways to defend yourself when I have years of training in martial arts and even on that front I'd rather run than fight. I am a black woman in a very vulnerable time to be and I'm not going to let someone talk down to me because I perceive very legitimate dangers to my personal safety as merely paranoia.

The guns are awesome post is up above, that's what I'm referring to, and of course that's far from some uncommon sentiment,

I'm trying to figure out what it is though, if not paranoia? You think your life is suddenly in mortal danger because of cheeto-elect? Your home is gonna be under seige, and a gun is the only course of action? it's more likely something goes wrong than you ever need to use it to defend yourself. I dunno, it sounds like paranoia 101 to me, and the kind of shit gun lobbyists thrive upon.

There's other means of security instead of perpetuating this gun madness America is rightfully chastised for.

Please explain to me what you are actually planning on doing. Right now you just own (and maybe carry around?) a gun, making it 4.5 more likely that you will, in fact, get shot.. You are now more unsafe than you were before.

Both of you seem to suggest it has to do with the current political climate. You want to stop doing "jack shit", you want to take action. How? How exactly do you plan on using your gun to fight America's systematic oppression? How is your gun going to help with that?

Literally every movement that has progressed black rights included gun ownership as a main feature.

It was posted before I highly suggest you read This Nonvioleny Stuff'll Get You Killed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/082236123X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Please read that before you dare come at me.

Uh you can be a gun owner and be for more legislation and against the NRA ya know

SilentRob

Literally every movement that has progressed black rights included gun ownership as a main feature.

It was posted before I highly suggest you read This Nonvioleny Stuff'll Get You Killed.

Thanks for the link, will check it out. Sorry, but I will also "dare to come at" anyone if I think their argument is weak. I think you are contradicting yourself. You repeatedly said it's for self defense. But then you also talk about how this gun will help you fight America's rampant systematic oppression and how it's part of a civil rights movement...I'm sorry, but what is it? Is it for self defense, even though a gun statistically makes you more likely to get shot or is it for actively fighting in a civil movement for black rights? Because if that's the case, I just don't understand how that would work. It's not the civil war anymore. The government doesn't run around with horses and muskets and you will not be able to fight the militarily most advanced nation in the world with a handgun. This just reads like all of these civil war fanasies that have been going around for 8 years now, only from the other side of the political spectrum (even though I obviously don't compare the very real oppression of black and other minorities in the US to the crackpot theories those idiots were spouting. Your motivation is entirely understandable, I just have a hard time following the train of thought from there on out.)

Please explain to me what you are actually planning on doing. Right now you just own (and maybe carry around?) a gun, making it 4.5 more likely that you will, in fact, get shot. You are now more unsafe than you were before.

No one here is advocating utilizing their firearms as a means of political change. But when crazy racists decide the time is ripe and the mood is fertile to get really bold and come to minority neighborhoods en masse again (Keypoint: This shit has happened time and time again throughout history in America) then I want the right to defend myself.

Chart_Lynchings.grid-6x2.gif

Fuck that. Never again. I'm not a pacifist. I'll be responsible and secure my firearms. But when shit goes crazy again (notice I didn't say *if*) I'm not going to just sit there while motherfuckers take turns raping my wife or setting us on fire.

Go read them racist forums. Them mofos is straight up itching for a good ole boy "purge" of "undesirables". How you think this happened:

dylann_roof5.jpg

So now GAF is ok with the 2nd amendment right, and actually in support of it? Oh politics.

Compromise where you can. And where you can’t, don’t. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right, even if the whole world is telling you to move. It is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say, no. You move.

Breads

Banned
So now GAF is ok with the 2nd amendment right, and actually in support of it? Oh politics.

In an ideal world we wouldn't need guns.

I want to live in an ideal world.

I do not live in an ideal world.

Also fuck this narrative that being for gun control means being against the second amendment. That's the NRA's stupid bullshit lie about what proponents of gun control want.

Cosigned. 100%.

Also highly suggest "Negroes w/ Guns"

In an ideal world we wouldn't need guns.

I want to live in an ideal world.

I do not live in an ideal world.

Pretty much. I'd love to live in a world where a sizable portion of my nations population didn't think I was inferior in nearly every way. Or thinks their child has a birthright to America where mine does not. Or thinks I and my entire family should be rounded up and straight up exterminated. Or would be completely indifferent if that did happen so long as they didn't "see" it.

But I don't get to live in that world. I'll be damned if it's my fault for adapting to my reality.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Dream: Guns are a symbol of black oppression, if blacks have guns they can stand up to their white oppressors.
Reality: Spike in black-on-black gun violence.

Maybe, just maybe they'll scare some white gun-folk into reconsidering their hardline positions but I doubt it, probably better to hope for learning diversity through new NRA members.
There is no such thing as black on black crime. People who are murdered were probably murdered by someone of their own race. Gang murders are more likely to be perpetrated by white gang members, and their victims are most likely going to be white.

A lot of us are very practical. Just like how we vote: practically. I never thought Hillary was a particularly great candidate but I was practical: she was my only option. Time to get practical with gun ownership.

cdyhybrid

:lol at people trying to take the moral high ground here and discourage people from protecting themselves.

Y'all could have just, you know, not elected the preferred nominee of the KKK or something.

:lol at people trying to take the moral high ground here and discourage people from protecting themselves.

Y'all could have just, you know, not elected the preferred nominee of the KKK or something.
I grew up in an area where "fag bashing" was a colloquially recognized sport.

Like hell I'm not gonna do what I need to defend myself. If that involves a firearm, IU involves a firearm.

Kenai

To be fair, the majority of the people around here probably didn't vote for him.

But yea, as far as I am concerned this is a type of victim blaming, unintentional or not.

I grew up in an area where "fag bashing" was a colloquially recognized sport.

Like hell I'm not gonna do what I need to defend myself. If that involves a firearm, IU involves a firearm.

Cowboy up!

To be fair, the majority of the people around here probably didn't vote for him.

But yea, as far as I am concerned this is a type of victim blaming, unintentional or not.

You can't be serious right now. Yeah, this country really does have a sickness. I'm certainly excited for this everyone has a gun utopia.

Here's a tinfoil hat, it's the same one the crazy conservative's been wearing when he rants about needing guns in case the government shows up to do whatever.
Except there is no history at all of the government going into white neighborhoods armed with army gear and tanks.

There certainly is in minority communities.

A white man who fears the government of our top get them is paranoid. Someone of color with that fear simply knows their history.

The Black folks buying firearms in a legal manner arent using them for drug dealing & crime. Theyre law abiding, middle class folks new to gun ownership. If you wanna worry about something, worry about improper storage of firearms in the family home, cause that leads to fatalities.

Yup. Tired of people acting like you put 5 rational, intelligent Black men with jobs and families and shit in a room and put a pistol in the middle and suddenly we lose all sense of our humanity and just start murdering each other. Very offensive. Just the notion of that shit.

My father owned guns. His father. My Aunts and Uncles. Never for "show" or for "gun culture" but they grew up in the 50's where the Klan was the real shit and had guns in case fools got froggy and wanted to do more than yell "nigger" while they drove by in their trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom