• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Versus |OT| The World, Western release out now!

ranmafan

I decided to give my stick a try and I gotta say I do like how it plays with that vs a controller. the joystick itself really is so much better. But ill have to get used to the button positions and do a bunch of free battles to train with it before I use that in a real match. Also I have a six button stick, not sure if thats bad, but I know most people seem to have a eight button one. Would be nice to have those extra buttons for more control. One day Ill have to upgrade it. But yeah Ill be testing using both it at the regular controller at times.

Luigi87

I decided to give my stick a try and I gotta say I do like how it plays with that vs a controller. the joystick itself really is so much better. But ill have to get used to the button positions and do a bunch of free battles to train with it before I use that in a real match. Also I have a six button stick, not sure if thats bad, but I know most people seem to have a eight button one. Would be nice to have those extra buttons for more control. One day Ill have to upgrade it. But yeah Ill be testing using both it at the regular controller at times.

You really only need six buttons for this game. Default layout requires seven, but since you can Boost Dive with Boost + Striker, one could put the Comm. on that button.

Had enough time to go into free battle for a bit last night with Ace Pilot Fa Yuiry's Nemo. I am so horribly out of practice. Probably just going to go with a pad for now.

ranmafan

You really only need six buttons for this game. Default layout requires seven, but since you can Boost Dive with Boost + Striker, one could put the Comm. on that button.

Yeah I noticed that while looking at the control layout. I don't mind the pushing two buttons thing so its fine. Still one day I want to get an eight button one for the ease of use it offers in controls regarding mapping things such as the boost dive. Plus for other games too. But yeah six feels fine as is now so Im good to go. Just got to get used to it. Which shouldn't take too long.

I would imagine so since its directly connected to not dying which is kinda important eh?

At the same time learning what the weapons do and what can / cant be chained together is also fairly useful.

Then again its all baby steps just do things at your own pace. Otherwise you are gonna burn yourself out trying to cram everything mechanics wise into your head which will wind up killing the experience of playing to have fun. Same sorta thing that burns out new folks to fighting games.

True. Man I need a move list. Or a nice training mode but I'll just have to settle for the Stop command.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
Which fight stick control scheme is like extreme vs or full boost? I'm using mine and it doesn't feel right so far. Maybe I'm just out of practice, but I know there was a way to setup those like the arcade.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Gonna buy 100 copies just so I can make sure everyone's favorite pilot makes it in.
Well, that was the best 1k unit in EXVSFB, so no lies detected!

Rosur2a

Is there a list of what gundams are in this? Just finished watching 00 this week (wing is my next series to watch for the first time) and kinda tempted to pick this up.

Also is it MP only?

JKTrix

I turned notifications off on my PS4 a long time ago because I record a lot, but these last few days I've been missing a lot of invites :p Time to adjust that.

For movelists, the best resource right now would be the Japanese wiki page.

https://www65.atwiki.jp/gundamversus/

A lot of units don't have details filled out, but the more popular ones do.

http://exvsrank.ninja-x.jp/gvs_500.html
This site has a visual representation of the units if you can't read katakana, if you click their image it goes straight to the JP Wiki page (organized by Cost at the top of the screen, besides DLC). I'm not sure if it has an image/link for every unit yet, but you'd be able to find it on the wiki page.

Quick Crash Course on understanding the 'movelists', taken from the F-91 page (one of the more filled out ones)
FXuycMx.png

Besides the conventions for A, B and C, you should understand the numpad direction notation. 8 is forward, 2 is back, 4/6 are left and right. In many cases, moves that are 4/6 are identical so either can be used, but sometimes they are different enough to specify a direction. If a number is listed next to a letter, they are pressed at the same time (i.e. 2B means press back and B at the same time).

If there's somethin else about this image that I could have explained better, let me know.

Edit: fight stick controls from the OP:
All the buttons from EXVS are the same (except the comms button). Two new buttons were added for the new gameplay features.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
That's not the default fightstick control scheme. I believe I have to go to the left once in the control scheme options. Going to try shortly.
Edit I believe it's 2 over to the left. By default dash is x, the bottom left of my button set.

JKTrix

When I plugged my stick in it was like this. What stick do you have? Maybe a couple of the buttons are in different places? The layout on mine is:

Sq Tr R1 L1
X O R2 L2

And that maps to the default Joystick 1 controls for a PS3 controller. If your layout is different from that you might have to adjust.
NOdtu5L.png

I used to use a Virtua Stick High Grade that had a different layout, but I eventually took it apart and moved the buttons around to be more 'standard'. Used to be:
Tr O L1
Sq X R1

And that would be real messed up on the default layout, for sure.

Surprised I didn't see any streams on the PS4. Even searching Gundam didn't show results. Is it because it's not out in NA? That never seemed to stop those dating games in foreign languages from showing up in the past.

Side topic, I want to watch some of these series. What are my options? Does crunchy roll have any available (unsure how that works. Like Netflix for anime?)?

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
When I plugged my stick in it was like this. What stick do you have? Maybe a couple of the buttons are in different places? The layout on mine is:

Sq Tr R1 L1
X O R2 L2

And that maps to the default Joystick 1 controls for a PS3 controller. If your layout is different from that you might have to adjust.
NOdtu5L.png

I used to use a Virtua Stick High Grade that had a different layout, but I eventually took it apart and moved the buttons around to be more 'standard'. Used to be:
Tr O L1
Sq X R1

And that would be real messed up on the default layout, for sure.
Thanks the screenshot helped. Mine is laid out the same but for some reason the PS4 control schemes are different. The default for the PS3 is what I'm used to.

masizzai

Game is a ton of fun. I know earlier someone asked me about spectating and there is none. We need more NA lobbies! Also casual match not having matchmaking with friends blows. Other than that this game is great.

Bebpo

Banned
You guys are convincing me to bust out my RAP. I've always played vs on controller to the point that playing in the arcades in Japan on a stick throws me off, but I'll give it a shot!

Surprised I didn't see any streams on the PS4. Even searching Gundam didn't show results. Is it because it's not out in NA? That never seemed to stop those dating games in foreign languages from showing up in the past.

Side topic, I want to watch some of these series. What are my options? Does crunchy roll have any available (unsure how that works. Like Netflix for anime?)?

Like I mentioned earlier, streaming from a PS4 is blocked in this game because of the licensed music and possibly the CG movies like Bamco's Tales series. I did get remote play working for streaming, however, so I'm able to output to Twitch that way!

Like I mentioned earlier, streaming from a PS4 is blocked in this game because of the licensed music and possibly the CG movies like Bamco's Tales series. I did get remote play working for streaming, however, so I'm able to output to Twitch that way!
Thanks. Missed the earlier conversation I guess.

What's with the music, btw? I'm not familiar with the series and it just seems weird with a special edition just for music.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
Thanks. Missed the earlier conversation I guess.

What's with the music, btw? I'm not familiar with the series and it just seems weird with a special edition just for music.
A version of the game has a lot of songs from the animes. Generally it's a no no to stream licensed music. Same with YouTube videos. It's the stupidest thing as that's part of the soundtrack but you'll likely get a copyright claim or your video forced to be monetized and all the money goes to whoever has the copyright claim. Not sure on the normal version though. I only have the premium sound edition. I could stream with my capture card if I wanted to.

A version of the game has a lot of songs from the animes. Generally it's a no no to stream licensed music. Same with YouTube videos. It's the stupidest thing as that's part of the soundtrack but you'll likely get a copyright claim or your video forced to be monetized and all the money goes to whoever has the copyright claim. Not sure on the normal version though. I only have the premium sound edition. I could stream with my capture card if I wanted to.

Normal version includes around 3 songs from every represented series.

I guess what I more find weird is that there's two versions with varying soundtracks. I guess I'm left wondering A) who owns the songs/are they not created for the anime? and B) if these songs cost too much to license, why limit it to a special edition for the hard(er)core (or more finacially sound) when a wider release with just the standard release should help offset the cost, no?

Even if they're J-pop songs not affiliated with Gundam, it's still odd because it'd be like rereleasing a Tony Hawk collection and saving the full licensed soundtrack for a collector's edition. What?

Edit: for the record, I don't care because I have no history with the series so I don't even know what I would be missing. It's just like I said, I find it weird is all lol.

ranmafan

I guess what I more find weird is that there's two versions with varying soundtracks. I guess I'm left wondering A) who owns the songs/are they not created for the anime? and B) if these songs cost too much to license, why limit it to a special edition for the hard(er)core (or more finacially sound) when a wider release with just the standard release should help offset the cost, no?

Even if they're J-pop songs not affiliated with Gundam, it's still odd because it'd be like rereleasing a Tony Hawk collection and saving the full licensed soundtrack for a collector's edition. What?

Regarding who owns the songs, a lot of these songs aren't owned by the Gundam creators themselves, but by the artist or music companies. And as you can see on the special edition, there are some big name Japanese artists on there. I was even shocked to see a song by Misia on there. Didn't know she sang a gundam song (haven't seen the recent series). And as you probably know the Japanese music industry, especially JASRAC, is well known for their hard line views against streaming and other things they don't like. They are pretty strict on every aspect of how music is handled in Japan. And they expect To be paid for every little way the music is handled. Just look up the ridiculous story of the college that JASRAC is trying to get money from because a dean quoted a Bob Dylan lyric at a college graduation ceremoney and then the college posted that one line as part of the spearheaded on their website. JASRAC has demanded payments for the usage of that one line. It's so ridiculous.

Also it's not just games. Way back around 2005 bandai released the zeta gundam DVD set, but forgot to mention one little issue, the opening and ending songs were replaced. No one knew until they had already gotten their sets (a nasty sneaky practice I hated from companies back then that was also done to the classic anime Kodomo no omocha.) fans were furious and bandai quickly apologized and stated they couldn't get through the rights issues because the songs were done by Neil Sedaka and nothing could be done. I still remember being quite frustrated by that.

But yeah it's really silly that Japanese companies hold back streaming and all, but so much of it is due to those music restrictions in Japan itself. While the western music markets have been getting their act together over the years and embracing the internet, Japanese companies still fear it and how it will destroy their system, which is tightly controlled in every aspect. And they don't want to change anything about it. I don't expect it to change anytime soon.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Edit: for the record, I don't care because I have no history with the series so I don't even know what I would be missing. It's just like I said, I find it weird is all lol.

Ill give you a short but true answer based on experience.

Japan music industry are dicks and can and will do whatever they want with a song under their label. Lantis and Avex in particular.

The other answer is they are just looking to make as much money as possible. All parties involved that is.

Also licensing is mess here.

ranmafan

Japan music industry are dicks and can and will do whatever they want with a song under their label. Lantis and Avex in particular.

The other answer is they are just looking to make as much money as possible. All parties involved that is.

Great short version to my long version above hehe. Yeah licensing and the way the industry works here is so behind the times. And it won't be changing anytime soon.

Regarding who owns the songs, a lot of these songs aren't owned by the Gundam creators themselves, but by the artist or music companies. And as you can see on the special edition, there are some big name Japanese artists on there. I was even shocked to see a song by Misia on there. Didn't know she sang a gundam song (haven't seen the recent series). And as you probably know the Japanese music industry, especially JASRAC, is well known for their hard line views against streaming and other things they don't like. They are pretty strict on every aspect of how music is handled in Japan. And they expect To be paid for every little way the music is handled. Just look up the ridiculous story of the college that JASRAC is trying to get money from because a dean quoted a Bob Dylan lyric at a college graduation ceremoney and then the college posted that one line as part of the spearheaded on their website. JASRAC has demanded payments for the usage of that one line. It's so ridiculous.

Also it's not just games. Way back around 2005 bandai released the zeta gundam DVD set, but forgot to mention one little issue, the opening and ending songs were replaced. No one knew until they had already gotten their sets (a nasty sneaky practice I hated from companies back then that was also done to the classic anime Kodomo no omocha.) fans were furious and bandai quickly apologized and stated they couldn't get through the rights issues because the songs were done by Neil Sedaka and nothing could be done. I still remember being quite frustrated by that.

But yeah it's really silly that Japanese companies hold back streaming and all, but so much of it is due to those music restrictions in Japan itself. While the western music markets have been getting their act together over the years and embracing the internet, Japanese companies still fear it and how it will destroy their system, which is tightly controlled in every aspect. And they don't want to change anything about it. I don't expect it to change anytime soon.

Thanks folks. Parakeetman got me speaking in layman terms as I'm completely ignorant in Japanese music industry lol. But I also appreciate the in depth response as it educated me a bit more.

I just want the game. I've always been attracted to the Gundam aesthetic despite only watching Wing. I really really can't wait for this game and want to watch more.

No one did answer me about crunchy roll or any other option. I'm guessing licensing issues prevent it from being easily consumed?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thanks folks. Parakeetman got me speaking in layman terms as I'm completely ignorant in Japanese music industry lol. But I also appreciate the in depth response as it educated me a bit more.

I just want the game. I've always been attracted to the Gundam aesthetic despite only watching Wing. I really really can't wait for this game and want to watch more.

No one did answer me about crunchy roll or any other option. I'm guessing licensing issues prevent it from being easily consumed?
Isn't there any Gundam on Netflix/Amazon Prime Video outside of Japan?
That's where I'm watching older series now (and dAnime Store, but this one is definitely a local only thing).

ranmafan

You're welcome. It's actually a very interesting industry and all and how they handle things which tends to frustrate us fans. I really don't know why bandai didn't just make a streaming mode of the game which would turn off the music. The gundam vs series already has been shown on tv here in esports competitions so obviously streams would be popular. I guess it's just not a priority for them. But this is an issue with the entire Japanese gaming industry today how to handle streaming. There have been some streams on twitch but interestingly only from China or Taiwan it seems.

As for watching Gundam online, I don't know the western options as I'm in Japan. I would think some sites has got the series up or something. Here in Japan Netflix actually has some of the series up, but not all. Wish they would post them all.

Skatterd

All of the Iron Blooded Orphans dub is on Crunchyroll
Pretty sure subs of a lot of other series are too

Bebpo

Banned
Trying out units, Hot Scramble Gundam seems so OP it's not even fair. Funnels, giant beam swings, big beam shots, great melee. Damn, feels unfun to use against cpu because it's just too damn good.

Bebpo

Banned
Full Armor Gundam's not bad but I wish it had more mobility considering the thrusters. Feels like I'm a slow heavy unit that relies manly on missiles missiles missiles and beam rifle mixups.

ranmafan

Been playing a whole lot with random suits, just trying to get levels up and unlocking things while also finding a nice suit for my main play. I was real surprised how much I'm loving Turn A's Sumo this time around. Fast, good control, great easy weapons to gain mastery over. Plus I just love every suit in Turn A. Even though Turn A itself is a bit of a challenge to control.

Just loving the game so much. This amazing year of gaming just keeps getting better. Also not really surrprising as it happens to just about every big game these days but I see it's getting review bombed badly on Amazon Japan. The usual swarm of crazy bad reviews for a new game just like always. Personally I don't agree with a lot of the complaints. I love the game!

Bebpo

Banned
It's kinda crazy how bad the GP payout for SP is, one MP match gets you 1000 on loss, 2000 on win. Yet an arcade route of like 6-8 full battles or 15 waves of survival gives like 1000. It's definitely geared towards MP, but even that is slow when there's 180 strikers to unlock at 1000GP each before you even get to any of the other 10000 or 50000 stuff.

Gotta wonder if when more DLC starts going up they sell GP packs for real money. The GP payout compared to prices to unlock everything just feels very F2Pish. For now I'm just unlocking a few strikers at a time.

ranmafan

It's kinda crazy how bad the GP payout for SP is, one MP match gets you 1000 on loss, 2000 on win. Yet an arcade route of like 6-8 full battles or 15 waves of survival gives like 1000. It's definitely geared towards MP, but even that is slow when there's 180 strikers to unlock at 1000GP each before you even get to any of the other 10000 or 50000 stuff.

Gotta wonder if when more DLC starts going up they sell GP packs for real money. The GP payout compared to prices to unlock everything just feels very F2Pish. For now I'm just unlocking a few strikers at a time.

Yeah the money situation is a big pain. I'm glad there are nice simple solutions to getting large amounts of exp easily buy even in mono getting money takes forever. Thankfully right now most of what I want are the strikers which aren't so expensive. But going for the navigators and emblems will be a pain. I've even heard some people are throwing matches just to get quick gp.

Wish there was better situation for it. That and I want an overhaul of the player history screen. Just knowing how many battles you played in casual and no results suck. Plus what's the point of having results history for player matches if the rooms can just turn off having those results recorded?

Other than those things still loving the game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I wonder if the expensive pricing for everything isn't there just because they are treating it as a way to show that the game has a lot of content in the sense that it takes a long time to unlock everything.

ranmafan

I wonder if the expensive pricing for everything isn't there just because they are treating it as a way to show that the game has a lot of content in the sense that it takes a long time to unlock everything.

I also wonder if there is more things to unlock to come. I noticed today once I finally got the trophy for leveling a mobile suit to 20 that it keeps leveling up pass that. I wonder in the future if they will add more unlocks for much higher levels. I just hope by the time I get the 1000 matches played trophy I'll have most of what's purchasable now all bought.

For me, it's just a normal price for Japanese games and I used to it. ;w;

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
For me, it's just a normal price for Japanese games and I used to it. ;w;
I was talking about the in game GP prices, not the price of the game itself (which is definitely a price for a standard JP game, sadly ;).
I also wonder if there is more things to unlock to come. I noticed today once I finally got the trophy for leveling a mobile suit to 20 that it keeps leveling up pass that. I wonder in the future if they will add more unlocks for much higher levels. I just hope by the time I get the 1000 matches played trophy I'll have most of what's purchasable now all bought.
Interesting, I haven't been playing with one suit long enough to reach 20, but I totally expected the leveling to stop there.

Top Bottom