• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Versus |OT| The World, Western release out now!

I intend to play this with 2 of my friends actually. If 30 seconds is the average wait time for 3v3 matching making I think I can live with that (I play SF5 a lot and the matchmaking there is easily 4x worse). However is it possible to play online matches with the 3 of us against 3 other randoms?

You can create a room with the 3v3 ruleset and hope randoms come in. :) Sadly, you cannot team up and choose casual matches. Hopefully they patch that in sometime, especially with trial mode.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thinking about getting this game as I haven't played any games with a buddy of mine in a long time and he's very much into this game and gundams in general. However I felt burned before with Full Boost as it was almost impossible to win any online matches as a beginner like myself and also reading the onslaught of horrible amazon reviews sets my interests back a little. Would it be reasonable to expect this to be like the other arcade VS games except with 3 on 3? I don't really care about the less number of units or maps BTW.

To be honest if you want to play online to win only thing I can really say is git gud. Since there isnt much of an option otherwise. Everyone starts out new and what makes winners from there are those who stick with the game and learn the mechanics.

Or just see how many other friends you can get to buy the game and play with them. Gaf has a community of players also using donkeys discord chan.

Feel free to ignore the amazon reviews. Though one point that folks did make which is true is the whole having to level units to unlock then needing GP to buy things can be a bit of a chore.

This game does seem to be a bit more friendly to new players at least to me anyways. As it does not feel as severe as full boost.

ranmafan

You can create a room with the 3v3 ruleset and hope randoms come in. :) Sadly, you cannot team up and choose casual matches. Hopefully they patch that in sometime, especially with trial mode.

I hope they patch that in sometime too. That would improve the options a ton in the game. I vastly prefer the casual games over the player matches and I would love for them to add those things to them.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So I suppose i can make a 3v3 room and ask my friends to just eyeball it on a lobby list?
They can just press a button to show a list of the rooms their friends are in, so the joining part is easy.

The problem is that the only 3v3 room setting available at the moment is shuffle, so it might be hard to be in the same team all the time.

Although I would also personally prefer the option to jump into casual matchmaking with a premade team, I think it's for the best that it isn't an option.

It would basically lead to tons of PUG stomping and make the game even less friendly to newcomers.

Is there any word on what Ranking mode will entail? That should allow premade MM I would hope.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Although I would also personally prefer the option to jump into casual matchmaking with a premade team, I think it's for the best that it isn't an option.

It would basically lead to tons of PUG stomping and make the game even less friendly to newcomers.

Is there any word on what Ranking mode will entail? That should allow premade MM I would hope.
I don't see a problem with premade teams being matched only with other premade teams - most games do it like that.

Ranked is supposed to have solo ranking (you + random player) and team ranking (premade team). I don't remember where I read that though.

I don't see a problem with premade teams being matched only with other premade teams - most games do it like that.

Ranked is supposed to have solo ranking (you + random player) and team ranking (premade team). I don't remember where I read that though.

It makes sense to save any premade MM for Ranked then if that's the case. You wouldn't want two different mode settings for the same thing (premade team) as it will just fracture the MM pools.

Ranked is coming soon right? End of July?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
It makes sense to save any premade MM for Ranked then if that's the case. You wouldn't want two different mode settings for the same thing (premade team) as it will just fracture the MM pools.

Ranked is coming soon right? End of July?
Yeah, so far we only know it's supposed to be out late July, but no exact date.

Can't agree with you regarding ranked being a good reason for no premades in casual mode. I personally probably won't be doing much ranked, if at all, because I feel that the average level of people there will be very high. Look at Overwatch - it has quick play for regular, laid back fun games, both for solo and group queue and you also have ranked for super serious play with tons of salt. I feel like both of those can coexist without much problem.

Yeah, so far we only know it's supposed to be out late July, but no exact date.

Can't agree with you regarding ranked being a good reason for no premades in casual mode. I personally probably won't be doing much ranked, if at all, because I feel that the average level of people there will be very high. Look at Overwatch - it has quick play for regular, laid back fun games, both for solo and group queue and you also have ranked for super serious play with tons of salt. I feel like both of those can coexist without much problem.

Overwatch is also more limited by the fact that it only has one game type (6v6), outside of events.

In this one you already have 3 types, although I'm sure 2v2 is the most popular just because it's the staple. Add on top of that casual and ranked modes doubling the pools, you are also suggesting separate pools in casual for both team modes.

It's great to add more options but at some point you fracture it to the point where this thread would be full of people complaining about queues.

My favorite MS so far. xD

1. RMS-108 MARASAI
2. RX-79 [G] GUNDAM GROUND TYPE
3. XM-X1 Kai CROSSBONE GUNDAM X-1 KAI
4. ASW-G-08 GUNDAM BARBATOS LUPUS
5. System-∀99(WD-M01) TURN A GUNDAM

Bebpo

Banned
Some more thoughts on the game overall:

-It's annoying that survival is always the same enemies in the same order
-Since trial battle is 10 routes of the same fights over and over, and then 3 survival modes in the same order, there's no real single player offline vs replica where you fight against a bunch of random different mechs. I say this because the game has 90+ units, but it feels like 50% of the stuff is just fighting the same 0079 units to TOBE GUNDAM over and over again in SP which is getting old. I almost never hear half the songs because I never go up against units from those series.
-Then when you play online it plays your unit's music
-Then when you even set free battle on random units there is no way to set the music to random

Like I get that this may seem like a very small thing, but my favorite part of the entire vs franchise is the nostalgia of playing to all these great vocal songs from all the series. Wing Gundam shows up and Just Communication starts playing, Victory Gundam arrives Stand Up to Victory starts playing. I feel like every other home version, even the shitty Vita one gave a single player mode to just fight a bunch of random units to their show theme songs and there's basically no one to do it here which I find really disappointing. Also Zeta music all sucking too since Zeta has like 10 units and no good tracks :|

-Boss MA units seem total shit if you're melee. Like if you're ranged, they're fine but melee units whose main damage attacks are melee, if you get near the MA they'll just turn on a dime and ram your ass. It's pretty annoying.

-Online hasn't been working too well. Whenever I play with people in Japan lately it's been a choppy lagfest. Hopefully it'll get better when the US version is released.

-Otherwise liking it and still trying out each unit, but I wish there was more SP variety. I feel like I know every stage by now in Survival and the first 5-6 trial routes.

ranmafan

Some more thoughts on the game overall:

-It's annoying that survival is always the same enemies in the same order
-Since trial battle is 10 routes of the same fights over and over, and then 3 survival modes in the same order, there's no real single player offline vs replica where you fight against a bunch of random different mechs. I say this because the game has 90+ units, but it feels like 50% of the stuff is just fighting the same 0079 units to TOBE GUNDAM over and over again in SP which is getting old. I almost never hear half the songs because I never go up against units from those series.
-Then when you play online it plays your unit's music
-Then when you even set free battle on random units there is no way to set the music to random

Like I get that this may seem like a very small thing, but my favorite part of the entire vs franchise is the nostalgia of playing to all these great vocal songs from all the series. Wing Gundam shows up and Just Communication starts playing, Victory Gundam arrives Stand Up to Victory starts playing. I feel like every other home version, even the shitty Vita one gave a single player mode to just fight a bunch of random units to their show theme songs and there's basically no one to do it here which I find really disappointing. Also Zeta music all sucking too since Zeta has like 10 units and no good tracks :|

-Boss MA units seem total shit if you're melee. Like if you're ranged, they're fine but melee units whose main damage attacks are melee, if you get near the MA they'll just turn on a dime and ram your ass. It's pretty annoying.

-Online hasn't been working too well. Whenever I play with people in Japan lately it's been a choppy lagfest. Hopefully it'll get better when the US version is released.

-Otherwise liking it and still trying out each unit, but I wish there was more SP variety. I feel like I know every stage by now in Survival and the first 5-6 trial routes.

I gotta admit, hearing the same songs over and over again is a pain. What I really hate though is that the extra songs in the premium sound version are not automatically set, but that you have to set them. I thought they would already do that. The decision to not have any of zeta's tv themes and instead use movie ones really is dissapointing. I do like Gackts songs but the tv series music is so iconic. Also weird as they are using the tv series login not the movie one. But yeah having a random song play option would be nice.

And while we are on the random topic, I wish the random mobile suit option didn't always give me the same mobile suits all the time. But it's not too bad, but it could be a little better.

As for online, even here in Japan it can be hit or miss. Mostly it's fine, but I'm getting a ton of matches that are so choppy that they are unplayable. Not sure why. Hope it's fixed.

But still even with those issues, the game is a blast. Plays so well, and is as fun as all the past games I've loved in the series. I really hope they keep supporting the game with lots of content. I haven't had this much fun with a fighter/mech game online as I've had with this one. It's just such a blast!

DunpealD

I gotta admit, hearing the same songs over and over again is a pain. What I really hate though is that the extra songs in the premium sound version are not automatically set, but that you have to set them. I thought they would already do that. The decision to not have any of zeta's tv themes and instead use movie ones really is dissapointing. I do like Gackts songs but the tv series music is so iconic. Also weird as they are using the tv series login not the movie one. But yeah having a random song play option would be nice.

And while we are on the random topic, I wish the random mobile suit option didn't always give me the same mobile suits all the time. But it's not too bad, but it could be a little better.

As for online, even here in Japan it can be hit or miss. Mostly it's fine, but I'm getting a ton of matches that are so choppy that they are unplayable. Not sure why. Hope it's fixed.

But still even with those issues, the game is a blast. Plays so well, and is as fun as all the past games I've loved in the series. I really hope they keep supporting the game with lots of content. I haven't had this much fun with a fighter/mech game online as I've had with this one. It's just such a blast!

I think the music wasn't like that in FB, I think it chose a music based on one of the participating units.

As for online, as I mentioned before, I think the game sometimes fails to sync with other players. When that happens, regardless of your connection, it will become a choppy mess. I'm pretty sure it only happens when playing anything that has more than one online participant.
Or maybe some filthy gaijins are intruding japanese space and are lagging up the place.

muteki

Spent yesterday evening trying everything out.

- I really like the level up/unlock trees. Gives me an incentive to try various units and routes. I really really need to get rid of Haro though. The other comms seem so lame though, but at least not Haro.
- Routes (I've only done the first 3) seem to be the usual, still pretty limited. Randomly jumps around different universes for no reason, silly match ups. Whatever, I'm probably too picky about this stuff. Not all series have enough grunts to properly accommodate each show.
- Survival is survival. I doubt I'll ever feel like running through 50 matches.
- Played online for about ~10 matches of 2v2 and 3v3. Matchmaking fairly quick in most cases. Had one really bad match that had every one moving at a slow crawl which eventually disconnected. Generally speaking though, good experience (aside from me predictably getting my ass handed to me 9 out of 10 times. Wins felt great though.)
- Music options are a little obtuse to me right now. I see I can set up to 3 tracks and choose between regular/premium lists but have yet to figure out how those get selected during gameplay.

Having fun though. So far settled in to Mk-II/Elle. I like Zeta/Roux but that cost is too much responsibility for me.

Really enjoying it thus far. I tend to get my ass handed to me quite a bit online but when I get a win it feels nice. I would love to play higher level suits online but it always feels like too much responsibility. My favorite suit thus far is definitely the Gold Sumo. "UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!"

Just turn him off. :3

I need my Meer Campbell though. Bamco pls.

Hell no! If we get any navigators from Seed there is only one choice!

gundam+build+fighter+murrue+ramius.jpg

Build Fighters knew what was up.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Only 1-2 more days of grinding 1v1 and I should have all Strikers unlocked. Only suits between Unicorn and Seed are left.

I'm enjoying this grind quite a lot, mostly because I'm trying out almost all suits in the game, even those I wouldn't have touched otherwise. Also, ocassional AFK players = guaranteed 2,5k+ GP.

Okay I'm doing really well with the Dom. Dat juggle off of his back A (I don't remember notations yet, lel) is great for setups with your partner. And summoning his boyz with the second version lets you hover around people for a quick and easy few shots. IIRC, they don't cause knockdown again but still they do good damage wise.

I'm probably getting away with murder but my general strat is to just back away and go ham every so often, get them off me with his little machine gun, and generally play a decent zoning game until I feel like I can go in.

GPOA1 is fun too, but I'm struggling with him. Might drop him for FA ZZ and just plant people with his piledriver. You can get some stupid shit off of throwing them in the air for a juggle. Yeesh.

Shouta

Having to grind to unlock Strikers is kinda frustrating. I understand why they did it but they could have at least given you more basic strikers to start.

Luigi87

I really really need to get rid of Haro though. The other comms seem so lame though, but at least not Haro.

Having fun though. So far settled in to Mk-II/Elle. I like Zeta/Roux but that cost is too much responsibility for me.

Just turn him off. :3

I need my Meer Campbell though. Bamco pls.

First thing I did after the tutorial was switch of Haro for Marie, lol
Now trying to unlock Christina Sierra 'cause... why not...

Of course we know all the more waifu navi will be DLC...

I'm grateful Bright came with the game,

Shouta

Sinanju's boulder and bazooka move it around when used. If you boost dash cancel them, you can cut the animation quickly. He then boost dive cancels the boost dash to drop down afterwards so he isn't in the air all the time. It gives Sinanju a ton of mobility as a result.

He's also using a few other universal movement options in there as well.

Edit: He might not be boost dash canceling some of it instead opting to just boost dive them. It's kinda hard to tell with the video sped up.

Okay I'm doing really well with the Dom. Dat juggle off of his back A (I don't remember notations yet, lel) is great for setups with your partner. And summoning his boyz with the second version lets you hover around people for a quick and easy few shots. IIRC, they don't cause knockdown again but still they do good damage wise.

I'm probably getting away with murder but my general strat is to just back away and go ham every so often, get them off me with his little machine gun, and generally play a decent zoning game until I feel like I can go in.

GPOA1 is fun too, but I'm struggling with him. Might drop him for FA ZZ and just plant people with his piledriver. You can get some stupid shit off of throwing them in the air for a juggle. Yeesh.

Dom has become my main at this point. Always loved the design and the unit has some really nice options for a 200 cost unit.

One of my favorite strategies is using his neutral Assist, circling around the enemy and firing so that they stuck between my bazooka and my boyz shots.
It worked every single time. I went on like a 7 game win streak last night with the Dom which felt very nice!

I found myself struggling with GP01fb as well and I couldn't figure out what it was. I was honestly doing better with
Tallgeese II last night which makes no goddamn sense as that unit is trash.

How many of you bought Premium Sound?

Got normal myself.
not because my local place sold all their g-sound copies before I got there or anything... not because I took a shower, went for food, ate the food,
watched tv, THEN walked down the street thinking they would still have it.

Second to last copy in general.

I did, because there won't be a Premium G Sound in the US anyway.

Sinanju's boulder and bazooka move it around when used. If you boost dash cancel them, you can cut the animation quickly. He then boost dive cancels the boost dash to drop down afterwards so he isn't in the air all the time. It gives Sinanju a ton of mobility as a result.

He's also using a few other universal movement options in there as well.

Edit: He might not be boost dash canceling some of it instead opting to just boost dive them. It's kinda hard to tell with the video sped up.

Thanks man. ;w;

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Does just because mean you're made of money?
I don't even have the game yet, but Premium is so damn expensive...

I had also bought the premium g ver of full boost so figured what the hell this time around too. Its more honestly for those that really like some of the songs with vocals in it. If you are not like a super fan the normal ver is just fine.

The only song i really like out of the current batch is men of destiny from 0083 lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gF7eXpn2-MM

Wish they had a few more as felt kinda disappointing with the pieces picked for the songs.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Does just because mean you're made of money?
I don't even have the game yet, but Premium is so damn expensive...
You can get the Premium G download version for 10,080 yen (+tax) until August 2nd. Premium G also includes one piece of 600+ yen DLC, so I guess all in all it's not that terribly expensive.

ranmafan

I was tempted by the premium G version but I honestly didn't think the choices were that amazing even so held off on it.

I was thinking of skipping it this time, but I had to have "Anime ja nai" and the Turn A Gundam themes when I played. I can't see myself playing the games these days without those songs.

Still there are some gems missing from the game I wish were there, especially from Zeta and the original Gundam movies.

Luigi87

I did. I needed mah Just Communication and other animu songs

... plus variety is nice. As such I'll buy the NA version in September, but probably just keep playing the JP version.

I also lucked out in that I had 1000 yen still on my JP PSN account from when I bought EXVSFB DLC, so getting Premium G Sound digital was like $30 CAD cheaper for me than importing a physical.

Does anyone know the deal behind GP01fb special movement? The one that's activated with melee + Jump if I remember correctly.

I understand what it does at a basic level, just not sure what kind of uses it has. Seems to burn boost meter too quickly to spam very often.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Week 1 sales in comparison:

EXVS: ~350k
Full Boost: ~270k
Force: ~70k

I don't know if they track digital sales (don't think so).
They're indeed not tracking digital sales.

I guess previous games might have had higher sales because of the bigger PS3 userbase and some Gundam fans/arcade goers didn't find it necessary to upgrade to PS4 yet.

It'd be interesting to see how many people who bought the previous games on the PS3 and have a PS4 didn't get this one because of the weird selection of MS.

Top Bottom