• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman Clive ( iOS, Android, PC, 3DS ) - In 18XX even the ducks are deadly

bumpkin

Just to bump the thread now that the thread title has changed (thanks Stumpokapow) I'm giving away some download codes.

First three to quote this post gets a code, and say if you want a European or American code
I know it's way past three quotes, but I'd love to check it out if you don't mind giving me an American eShop code, beril! :)

Was also a day 1'er when it was released on iOS. Really psyched to check out the new content!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wow, beril you really got the price right with this one....loved it on Android and iPad - will triple dip for the 3DS version.

Everyone with a 3DS should get this game, steal for 2 bucks.

tolkir

This game is a mine of references about 8-16 bits era.

Megaman
Bionic Commando
Sparkster
Donkey Kong Country
Zelda
Contra
Donkey Kong Gameboy

beril

This game is a mine of references about 8-16 bits era.

Megaman
Bionic Commando
Sparkster
Donkey Kong Country
Zelda
Contra
Donkey Kong Gameboy

Hmm, not sure what would be the Sparkster or Donkey Kong GB references, I must have made those subconciously. But yea I'm stealing ideas from all over the place, Castlevania is another pretty big one, I'm even using stuff from the fairly awful Castlevania Adventure for gameboy.

I guess I ought to continue looking for the Train boss bug today. To those of you who got it; about how long had you been playing when it crashed? Was there any particular area you spent a lot of time before the boss? I speedrun the entire game before playing the boss over an over yesterday without getting anything, so it seems unlikely that it's a memory issue, and I'm not sure why it would only present itself on that boss, even though he does do a lot of allocations. But I really can't find anything in the boss code either...

Recent 3DS buyer and ipad owner and will be buying on the 3rd. But, without getting into specifics, on what platform would it benefit the developer more, iOS or 3DS?

Skyzard

Banned
Looks good, added to watch list for Android -we've had a tonne of good sales recently. It's half price for xperia devices though.

beril

Recent 3DS buyer and ipad owner and will be buying on the 3rd. But, without getting into specifics, on what platform would it benefit the developer more, iOS or 3DS?

I don't think there should be any real difference, at least not in the US. For Europe there might be a small difference because of tax. iTunes is in luxemburg and has lower tax, but on the other hand most eShop games use the $=€ conversion rate so it evens out

Both ;P
But I think the game is played best on 3DS. Controls, extra mode, extra character, 3D effect

tolkir

Hmm, not sure what would be the Sparkster or Donkey Kong GB references, I must have made those subconciously. But yea I'm stealing ideas from all over the place, Castlevania is another pretty big one, I'm even using stuff from the fairly awful Castlevania Adventure for gameboy.

I guess I ought to continue looking for the Train boss bug today. To those of you who got it; about how long had you been playing when it crashed? Was there any particular area you spent a lot of time before the boss? I speedrun the entire game before playing the boss over an over yesterday without getting anything, so it seems unlikely that it's a memory issue, and I'm not sure why it would only present itself on that boss, even though he does do a lot of allocations. But I really can't find anything in the boss code either...

I thought that there was a Rocket level in Sparkster, i don't know why.
About Donkey Kong, it reminded me the final boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dqMWZeSkCS0#t=243s

Yasawas

Really enjoying this and a bargain for £2. It's worth it just to see it move on the 3DS screen, the art is so clean and works really well in 3D.

I did also suffer a couple of crashes at the second boss though, couldn't see any pattern to it either.

beril

Really enjoying this and a bargain for £2. It's worth it just to see it move on the 3DS screen, the art is so clean and works really well in 3D.

I did also suffer a couple of crashes at the second boss though, couldn't see any pattern to it either.

A couple eh? If you got the crash a second time after only loading the boss level I guess I can rule out memory related issues at least; there should be plenty available and I've triple checked for memory leaks when playing the boss level

beril

I finally got the train boss bug myself. It looks like a GPU crash. I won't be able to narrow it down or debug it properly until after christmas though.

At least it doesn't seem very frequent, going by the amount of time I've spent looking for it and trying to reproduce it afterwards. Has anyone gotten that bug when playing in 2D btw, or did you all play in 3D? That could help me rule out one possible cause

Santiako

I finally got the train boss bug myself. It looks like a GPU crash. I won't be able to narrow it down or debug it properly until after christmas though.

At least it doesn't seem very frequent, going by the amount of time I've spent looking for it and trying to reproduce it afterwards. Has anyone gotten that bug when playing in 2D btw, or did you all play in 3D? That could help me rule out one possible cause

I played it in 3D all the time and never got the bug.

beril

I got this on iOS and android. Would get on 3ds if I had one.

Ever thought about a PS mobile port so I can play on my Vita ;)

No. I won't be doing any more ports now either way (got to get started on a new game soon), but if I were, a proper Vita port would be far more likely than rewriting everything to C# for PS mobile. I don't see the point of that platform at all to be honest

also

Banned
I wonder if I'm alone in feeling the latter two bosses were waaaay easier than the first two.
Difficulty wise I would say it was
2>3=4>1

You praise it throughout the whole review, going as far as saying that it offers the best price to quality ratio on the eShop, and only complain about the underutilized touch screen and minor control imprecision (can't say I agree) but in the end only give it a 7. I'm confused.

You praise it throughout the whole review, going as far as saying that it offers the best price to quality ratio on the eShop, and only complain about the underutilized touch screen and minor control imprecision (can't say I agree) but in the end only give it a 7. I'm confused.

I gave it an 8, actually. 7 is the average between my score and the users' score.

edit: you're right! It's a 7! Maybe the director change my choice? I'm asking :)

beril

I wonder if I'm alone in feeling the latter two bosses were waaaay easier than the first two.

Probably not. I had to gimp the third bosses behaviour before release because it was too hard to understand and a bit illogical. Originally you had to jump over him while he swings (that's actually still in the trailer), but now you can avoid nearly all his attacks just by ducking. The final boss has quite little health because he takes too long beat otherwise, as there's only a small window of time where you can hurt him. You can completely obliterate him in second if you get there with a good gun.

beril

Since it's christmas I'll give away a few more DL codes.
first 4 people to reply will get one; let me know if you want an American or European code

jufonuk

not tag worthy
first 4 people to reply will get one; let me know if you want an American or European code

european code please

if this is the 3ds version you mean, as I have the android Ver.

if it is, give it to some other GAFFER, thanks :)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hi Beril, if the code I have in the PM is for the android EU version, I will give it to a GAFFER

EDIT: it's for the 3DS : Awesome Sauce will DL this after work, cheers, can't wait to play it on the 3DS

NewFresh

Yes please! An. American code would be great

Edit: I think I am too late, but I was planning on picking it up anyways :p

beril

Yes please! An. American code would be great

Edit: I think I am too late, but I was planning on picking it up anyways :p

You got one anyway, though it was one more than I said. But this will be the last one for now. I still haven't mailed out codes to that many review sites...

NewFresh

You got one anyway, though it was one more than I said. But this will be the last one for now. I still haven't mailed out codes to that many review sites...

You are way too kind. I wish you all the luck with the game. It really does look amazing.

Thanks Beril! Played til Stage 10 and am really enjoying it. You have some great design sense, and you introduce elements at a good pace so far. Will probably continue playing tonight.

zroid

Banned
Probably not. I had to gimp the third bosses behaviour before release because it was too hard to understand and a bit illogical. Originally you had to jump over him while he swings (that's actually still in the trailer), but now you can avoid nearly all his attacks just by ducking. The final boss has quite little health because he takes too long beat otherwise, as there's only a small window of time where you can hurt him. You can completely obliterate him in second if you get there with a good gun.

Ah, I see. I had a suspicion it was something like that with the third boss. It just seemed a bit too simple to defeat by ducking.

I had a great time with the
doppelganger
though. It was fun trying to lead him into spots where it'd be easier to get some shots off.

NewFresh

Just finished Stage 6. I really love the art style in 3d. Probably my biggest concern was the feel of the jumping, but it feels great. The game is a bit harder than I was expecting, which is a very nice surprise :)

Top Bottom