• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman Clive Sales: 3DS > Android > iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjc571

Banned
I hope your success means we'll see more games for 2 bucks, the price on some of the games is ridiculous.

It's not like it's some great bargain or anything, considering that the game is only around 30 minutes long. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game a lot and I'm happy to see it doing well, but I've purchased plenty of meatier $5-$10 games from the eShop which have given me a lot more bang for my buck.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
The 3ds version is great, and excellent value for money compared to most Nintendo store software.

I picked this up on a whim yesterday as it looked fun and I've not been disappointed. It feels very much like a Megaman game at many points which is no bad thing as I'm a huge Megaman fan! I've already cleared normal mode and instantly started it again as
duck
which is a cool new challenge in its own right. I'd love a more fleshed out sequel, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

DaBoss

Hehe, I was hoping you would post an update on this, thank you very much for it. Not surprised it surpassed the Android version's sales, but I'm really surprised at how consistent it is since the last time you posted it.

The extra month of the Android version had must have been an extreme slow down.

beril

Can the OP give us the exact number of copies the title has sold on the eShop.

I said this regardnig the android ltd on the last page

I'm not sure what I can say and not, but I can't really hide that since it's displayed in Google Play. It's in the 10-50k range. Since that's a pretty big range and the lower end would be kindof bad for a 2$ game, I'll add that the combined sales are in the 50-100k range

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well, seeing a 3DS eshop game selling better than the iOS and Android versions is weird, new and interesting.

I loved the boss who chases you around the room. It nearly felt like you fight a human and not some scripted boss with patterns.

mclem

yeah, me too.

Hey Terry Cavanagh, you already launched VVVVVV, launch Super Hexagon and its BOUGHT. I have reached over 100s in all stages, but I don't care, I will play and beat that thing in 3D.

Super Hexagon in 3D would make my head hurt. In a good way.

rjc571

Banned
Well, seeing a 3DS eshop game selling better than the iOS and Android versions is weird, new and interesting.

Is it really? 99% of games on the iOs/Android stores sell next to nothing. On 3DS the market is smaller but individual games tend to get more exposure.

ahm998

If 3DS release all Iphone & Android games with same price ,3DS will beat them easily.

But the problem all games always more than 5 times expensive.

Like angry birds trilogy game 30$ very damn expensive on 3ds.

Druz

the Armillo game looks fantastic... this thread is becoming a problem for my wallet, damn you guys... totally gonna buy it on the eShop.

and shame on Valve.
if anyone would have told me that was easier to get on a nintendo platform then on steam i'd have laughed for hours... really really sad

Why would you laugh? The Wii had endless piles of shovelware being released all the time. Nintendo seems to have an effortless certification process. Title screen? You're in.

Haunted

Always interesting to get more data points! Indies are really the only guys that regularly disclose at least something.

As for Steam Greenlight itself, it looks like a lost cause, and the whole process mostly made me rather bitter.
Good job Valve, actively alienating solid, proven indie developers with a finished product from Greenlight, and Steam at large. The complete opposite of what they intended, what a shame.

Mr_Elysia

I do like Valve and I do appreciate Steam in this new frontier and I do very much like Gabe as a person, but what a damned shame Greenlight is, is right.

Chinner

Banned
congrats on the sales, played your game on ios and glad to see you're having success. surprised by the 3ds shop sales but looks like it's becoming a viable market.

i'm disappointed with how things turned out with greenlight, but once i saw it up there i kinda figure it would have flopped, seeing as how post of the votes are going towards 3d/slender/ports/shit and with a lot of 2d games failing.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Congratulations from one of the eshop buyers! I love the art style and music in this game, and it also seems to me a game that deserves buttons. It plays really well on the 3DS!

First boss is kinda hard! ;)

Glass Rebel

Congrats man, always happy to see GAF devs succeed. Next game announcement soon? ;)

Why would you laugh? The Wii had endless piles of shovelware being released all the time. Nintendo seems to have an effortless certification process. Title screen? You're in.

Because Nintendo was known for their anti-Indie attitude and their arbitrary restrictions unlike Valve who was praised the last few years. As a fan of both I'm happy that Nintendo is improving but sad that Valve has handled it like they're some newbies to this business.

Jackano

Wow, Google Play beaten! Congrats!
So I will join the fun and eventually get the PAL eShop version, I think I have a couple of bucks sitting in my account.

Brera

Banned
This will be the first game I buy on the 3ds since getting it with mario land.

Gives me a great sunset riders vibe.

Release it in Japan and call it gaijin riders

Platy

congrats on the sales, played your game on ios and glad to see you're having success. surprised by the 3ds shop sales but looks like it's becoming a viable market.

i'm disappointed with how things turned out with greenlight, but once i saw it up there i kinda figure it would have flopped, seeing as how post of the votes are going towards 3d/slender/ports/shit and with a lot of 2d games failing.

You really should try the 3DS version ... has a new unlockable mode that will ... well ... fit perfectly to your tastes xD

Glass Rebel

He's stated that his next project will be for 3DS (ground-up) and will be (if I recall correctly) a Zelda-esque game.

:|

BZhu6bK.jpg

also

Banned
I'm still waiting to get this off via the jp eshop, dude.

Blame Nintendo since they require you to have an office in Japan to publish on the JP eShop. He said he's trying to work something out, so hopefully it will eventually get released over there.

Jackano

I actually got it a few hours ago like I said in my previous post!
No surprise, it's a well deserved success.

Simple but gorgeous and accurate art style, controls done well, interesting level design slowly building up in difficulty and dropping ideas along the way. It seems so simple to make a good game when looking at this!

Don't know if it has been said, but this week it appears in the european eShop in a new "Low prices" section, as the only 3DSware, alongside others 2€ DSiwares and 4€ Virtual console GameBoy games.

Oh, and birds are shitting bombs on you. With that, it's definitely a must-have!

ksamedi

I enjoyed it while it lasted. Great old school gameplay with some fresh ideas. You could do well with a more fleshed out sequel. Congrats on the sales, definitely deserved.

Hero

The 3DS version has now passed the Android version as well. Here's an updated graph for almost two months

DarXsXY.png

The game did get featured on the front page in the eShop in both markets a few weeks ago (day 43) and you can see a pretty clear bump that week, with about 2x a normal week. It's not quite at the same level as getting on the front page of Google Play, during the weekend it was about 50% of what the Android version did on average when it was featured. I guess the market just isn't quite as big, but it also means that your less dependant on getting promoted by the store owner. While it was a nice bump and I'm thankful to Nintendo for doing it, people seem to be able to find the game just fine when it's not promoted as heavily.

What's really incredible is the legs so far. There's been a few smaller bumps to help maintain the sales; nintendo posting the trailer on their youtube channel, this thread getting reposted on every nintendo website etc, but some of them are hard to see amidst the normal weekend bumps. The game has also been included in various lists on the eShop almost every week. But so far there's hardly been any signs of the sales slowing down, I'm sure it will happen eventually but I'm hopefull it will be a slow decline.

Grats on the success, knew the eShop version would make it past the Google version with the front page that Nintendo gave you in addition to the video.

Edit:

Just making an eyeball estimate off of the graph and what you said, if every line was 5K that would put the iOS slightly above 10k sales, Google Play at above 25k sales and eShop at above 30k sales? 65,000 sales total?

beril

Grats on the success, knew the eShop version would make it past the Google version with the front page that Nintendo gave you in addition to the video.

Edit:

Just making an eyeball estimate off of the graph and what you said, if every line was 5K that would put the iOS slightly above 10k sales, Google Play at above 25k sales and eShop at above 30k sales? 65,000 sales total?

close...

but you should realise that this is just the first two months for each platform (except the 3DS wich is a few days short of two months). The iOS and Android version has been out for almost a year and the 3DS sales just passed the android version the other day so their LTD sales are about the same, and the iOS LTD is close to the next line

I'm working on it. I'm finalizing a deal with a japanese publisher right now, but unfortunately it'll be a while before it's released even in the best case scenario
Guess that's all one can expect from you at this point. I wish you good luck on that and hopefully the wait won't be too long :). I'm looking forward to it!

Hero

close...

but you should realise that this is just the first two months for each platform (except the 3DS wich is a few days short of two months). The iOS and Android version has been out for almost a year and the 3DS sales just passed the android version the other day so their LTD sales are about the same, and the iOS LTD is close to the next line

Oh, wow, didn't realize the iOS and Android versions were out for that long.

Going by what you just said, eShop and Android should be about 30k and if iOS made the next line that would put it close to 15k, so 75,000 all in all is my final guess. Other GAFers I'm sure can dissect the info.

Either way, great job. And I still have to purchase it on my 3DS XL now that I'm going to register it and link it with my Club Nintendo account.

hatchx

Banned
Hey Beril, thought I'd mention I picked up Gunman Clive on the 3DS and really enjoyed it. Even
duck mode
is awesome. It's nice to see games at a reasonably price that still have tight controls and a unique presentation. I'd love to see a sequel!

Glad to hear it's selling well. It's the buttons, I tell ya, the buttons!

I was going to buy this a few weeks ago and forgot but this thread just reminded me!
So +1 sale as of 2 minutes ago!

Congrats on the success!

rockx4

Congrats on the great sales. I purchased this game from reading this thread also. The game is simple, fun, and the 3D works quite well. I'll definitely keep an eye out for your future games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom