• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

Exentryk

Looks like the devs are aware of the gold promote and weather advantages, and the first new cards to be introduced will deal with those issues.

Skellige is by far the most interesting faction albeit a bit underpowered. Graveyard manipulation as a concept works really well. Especially with the Monster decks running fuckoglets.

Skellige self wounding deck is currently my second favorite deck after weather monster deck. I just had a hell of a match against other Skellige faction, shit was intense up to the last card.

skelligeb6uy7.jpg

Looks like the devs are aware of the gold promote and weather advantages, and the first new cards to be introduced will deal with those issues.

The monster Deck has a card that can clean the weather in your side of the row, it is really good, the rest of the factions need cards like those other than clear weather since there are so many cards that can deal several weather damage control while you can only counteract that with 3 cards that you may not even get on your hand.

I think the problem isn't only in how good is the NR deck with the cheese strat in comparison with other decks, but also how good is that type of NR deck vs other types of NR decks available. Given the NR cards we have right now, that's the deck to do.

Getting harder and harder to win now. It's way too much work trying to keep Monster and Northern Realms in check with my Skellige deck. I've gotta burn pretty much everything just so I can make sure that Northern Realms doesn't buff the flying fuck out of its units. Monster decks though, whew! Properly kitted out you're completely fucked. Doesn't matter if you have a clear skies + dimeritium. A good deck can pump out so many weather conditions you absolutely can not keep up. Clear Skies should last 5 turns at least. It gets nullified instantly with the weather cards themselves, the units that produce weather conditions, the dual weather cards, the pick any weather condition card, the leader that lets you pick any weather condition and the gold "fuck everything" all weather condition card.

Skellige and Scoiatael are playing a different game.

TheKeyPit

Banned
You can currently buy packs with real money, yes.

Not on Xbox One?

Getting harder and harder to win now. It's way too much work trying to keep Monster and Northern Realms in check with my Skellige deck. I've gotta burn pretty much everything just so I can make sure that Northern Realms doesn't buff the flying fuck out of its units. Monster decks though, whew! Properly kitted out you're completely fucked. Doesn't matter if you have a clear skies + dimeritium. A good deck can pump out so many weather conditions you absolutely can not keep up. Clear Skies should last 5 turns at least. It gets nullified instantly with the weather cards themselves, the units that produce weather conditions, the dual weather cards, the pick any weather condition card, the leader that lets you pick any weather condition and the gold "fuck everything" all weather condition card.

Skellige should have a Frost resistent Standard card; not something like that bear.

Sorian

Banned

I run Skellige and still am not having any issues. I did craft Lugos though so that I can realistically go all in on round 2 and still have a mega card for round 3.

I run Skellige and still am not having any issues. I did craft Lugos though so that I can realistically go all in on round 2 and still have a mega card for round 3.

I was winning a vast majority of games for the first couple days now I'm lucky to go 50/50 at the end of a session. A committed Monster weather deck is really hard to deal with especially if they can inflict the same weather condition twice. This wasn't an issue with gwent in TW3 but now with the many ways there are to introduce weather here there's fighting no through it. Maybe it's something for the devs to think about. At least let clear skies persist a bit

TheKeyPit

Banned

Do you know how Cerys works in combo with her warrior cards(those 3 female fighter cards)? Does she get +1 for every one of those cards played from hand or only when played from the graveyard?

Case1: You play one of the cards from your hand, it revives the two others from the graveyard. Does Cerys get +1 or +3 now?

I think the problem isn't only in how good is the NR deck with the cheese strat in comparison with other decks, but also how good is that type of NR deck vs other types of NR decks available. Given the NR cards we have right now, that's the deck to do.

I've been playing with a Henselt damaging deck now with moderate success, but I think that's at least in part because I've put money into the game and have a few decent rares. The deck can be fun when you get a full row of like 10 siege cards with three Reinforced Ballista and you promote the whole row and there's this beautiful damage spam, but in general setting up any strat based around Promote other than buff and Adrenaline Rush takes too much time and effort.

I was winning a vast majority of games for the first couple days now I'm lucky to go 50/50 at the end of a session. A committed Monster weather deck is really hard to deal with especially if they can inflict the same weather condition twice. This wasn't an issue with gwent in TW3 but now with the many ways there are to introduce weather here there's fighting no through it. Maybe it's something for the devs to think about. At least let clear skies persist a bit

Yeah but Clear Skies also works against all 3 types of weathers at the same type and basically debuff/rebuff anything in the board, people need to carry 3 of them in their deck at all times but that will no happen because clear skies when playing against no weather monster decks just screw your deck and your dealing hand.

As you can see almost half my cards can be counterattacked by clear weather. I don't have a lot of fire power, so I have to be careful when and how do I play my weather cards, to bait the clear weathers so my silver weather cards aren't nullified by a mere bronze card. I will change Commanders Horn for White Frost or Aeromancy as soon as I get the scraps to craft one, the same would go for Caranthir but he is sooooo expensive, I would rather craft Priscilla and other cards for NR or Skellige first.

And even with this "advantage" weather decks have, a lot of times I ended up with just weather for one particular row or two and at the end is a close game.

Do you know how Cerys works in combo with her warrior cards(those 3 female fighter cards)? Does she get +1 for every one of those cards played from hand or only when played from the graveyard?

Case1: You play one of the cards from your hand, it revives the two others from the graveyard. Does Cerys get +1 or +3 now?

Yes, She gets buffed +1 for each Queensguard that is played into the board. This includes the ones that come from the graveyard.

So for example, you have one Queens' guard in your hand, you discard the other 2 to your graveyard thanks to a spy or Briana, then when you play that Queen's guard, Cerys will be buffed + 3, and if in another round you resurrect a Queensguard, then the other 2 will play again which will give Cerys another +3. Is a nice combo that would suit well with final rounds with priestess of Freya as a last heavy card.

Sorian

Banned

+3

She does lose all her buffs when she goes to the graveyard and becomes silver though, something to keep in mind.

This is so FUN!

And they seem to have added some decent depth! presumably they can add even more if needed, right? Stuff like graveyard and damaging opponents is new and interesting.

What is the little fire symbol on some cards?

TheKeyPit

Banned
Yes, She gets buffed +1 for each Queensguard that is played into the board. This includes the ones that come from the graveyard.

So for example, you have one Queens' guard in your hand, you discard the other 2 to your graveyard thanks to a spy or Briana, then when you play that Queen's guard, Cerys will be buffed + 3, and if in another round you resurrect a Queensguard, then the other 2 will play again which will give Cerys another +3. Is a nice combo that would suit well with final rounds with priestess of Freya as a last heavy card.

Thanks.

+3

She does lose all her buffs when she goes to the graveyard and becomes silver though, something to keep in mind.

That's lame, but not that important.

I'm still unsure if I should craft Madman Lugos, Cerys or Morgvark(?).

Thanks.

That's lame, but not that important.

I'm still unsure if I should craft Madman Lugos, Cerys or Morgvark(?).

I would go for Morgvark, combine him with the Smiths that add +4 to original strength and he is basically a great scorch bait and even if the player is playing a weather deck you can still use him in the second or third round.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I would go for Morgvark, combine him with the Smiths that add +4 to original strength and he is basically a great scorch bait and even if the player is playing a weather deck you can still use him in the second or third round.

He's a silver card, right? Lucky me; I got a Restoration card in one of my last kegs.

He's a silver card, right? Lucky me; I got a Restoration card in one of my last kegs.

Yeah, but no need to resurrect him. He will automatically come out of the graveyard if killed but he will decrease his original strength by 2, which is why he synergy so well with the smiths. He starts at 5, if you buff him to 9, then when he dies (scorched, wounding, end of turn) he will return as 7... and then as 5 and then as 3 if he gets killed several times, the only problem is that he isn't immune to weather but since he barely stays in the graveyard, it is impossible for your opponent to steal him away from you, like the Monster deck can do with the Griffin or the Caretaker (I have seen people rage quit when I used my Caretaker on the last round to steal them away their best card, against someone playing Skellige I stole his +18 Skirmisher and a monster weather deck player rage quit when I stole Sarah from him before. God I love my Caretaker.

When does the final game release? Hype seems muted here on GAF...

Also, anyone think itd be interesting to add some kind of currency?

Like gold, that is generated by some cards and could possibly be used for special actions? Just trying to think of how they could deepen the game. Im excited for it, and am surprised at the changes from Witcher

TheKeyPit

Banned
Yeah, but no need to resurrect him. He will automatically come out of the graveyard if killed but he will decrease his original strength by 2, which is why he synergy so well with the smiths. He starts at 5, if you buff him to 9, then when he dies (scorched, wounding, end of turn) he will return as 7... and then as 5 and then as 3 if he gets killed several times, the only problem is that he isn't immune to weather but since he barely stays in the graveyard, it is impossible for your opponent to steal him away from you, like the Monster deck can do with the Griffin or the Caretaker (I have seen people rage quit when I used my Caretaker on the last round to steal them away their best card, against someone playing Skellige I stole his +18 Skirmisher and a monster weather deck player rage quit when I stole Sarah from him before. God I love my Caretaker.

Nice, good to know. I'll probably choose him.

Game ended in a draw and didn't even get a GG from the guy. Feels bad :(

That's why the current reward system is trash. I always curse at my screen when they don't gg at the end of a really good game.

+Some players quit out of the game and gg to get rewards fast(I don't gg then). Who thought this would be a good idea?

Kuosi

When does the final game release? Hype seems muted here on GAF...

Also, anyone think itd be interesting to add some kind of currency?

Like gold, that is generated by some cards and could possibly be used for special actions? Just trying to think of how they could deepen the game. Im excited for it, and am surprised at the changes from Witcher
some point at 2017

squidyj

consistently hitting 25-30 or more power on one card in round 3 is a good feeling.

discard part works beautifully too for deck thinning and aggression, play ermion get 15 power on my board while thinning my deck by 2
think it's time i pushed for the last wish.

Edit:
Oh no, my poor opponent thought that dimeritium bomb would undo the buffs from my tordarroch shieldsmiths and tuirseach skirmishers :(
I felt bad for that guy, he conceded immediately.

Exentryk

Edit:
Oh no, my poor opponent thought that dimeritium bomb would undo the buffs from my tordarroch shieldsmiths and tuirseach skirmishers :(
I felt bad for that guy, he conceded immediately.

Haha, yeah. It's same with gold cards. They use dimeritium bomb and when nothing happens, they forfeit. I have noticed more people forfeiting early as they realize what's going on. Just as I have my cursor on Foltest about to make copies, they'll forfeit right there. So the knowledge is increasing.

Just had a crazy round where I was going to lose even with a duplicated adrenaline medic, then I got Priscilla back from my graveyard, who pulled a ballista with her, which was enough to overcome the deficit when I promoted the medics.

Had a fun match where after someone used their Scorch, I played Geralt, demoted him, and fed him a Swallow. Would have battle horned too, but they gave the round up already.

Exentryk

I lost a match last night even with the promotion cheese against a monster breedable strat. I was trying to anticipate a Scorch, and I didn't have a 2nd Horn, so my score wasn't that high (150s), but he managed to get to 250.
I need to get a Dimeritium Bomb card.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Won my first match against an actual person just now.

Is there some sort of strategy beyond "hope they don't have higher strength then you while spamming your entire hand" that I'm missing? I know the tutorial has a pass function, but given you only have three rounds... I'm not sure when to pass instead of just going for broke and hoping each of us don't get a strong card.

GrizzNKev

Banned

Is there some sort of strategy beyond "hope they don't have higher strength then you while spamming your entire hand" that I'm missing? I know the tutorial has a pass function, but given you only have three rounds... I'm not sure when to pass instead of just going for broke and hoping each of us don't get a strong card.

Play strong, bait, and counter. Pass when you feel like the result of your pass will end in a strong card lead.

Can you even have more than 1 horn? I thought it was a hard limit?

Dandelion acts as a second Horn.

The base fundamental strat that every deck has to use is how to play cards outside your hand. There is a hard limit to the number of cards you can draw. So you want to be able to pull as many extra cards out of your deck or graveyard as possible. You basically want to pass when you feel like they will need to use a bunch of cards to win the round.

TheSeks

The base fundamental strat that every deck has to use is how to play cards outside your hand. There is a hard limit to the number of cards you can draw. So you want to be able to pull as many extra cards out of your deck or graveyard as possible. You basically want to pass when you feel like they will need to use a bunch of cards to win the round.

I dunno. Me and the opponent basically went for broke trying to beat each other in strength. I won because I had like a boost and kept a monster on the board after the round ended. I kinda expected a bit more strategy than "get as big a number as you can and hope your opponent doesn't match/exceed."

I mean I got that "you want to have more cards than the opponent" in the tutorial bit. But I just don't see why you'd pass on a possible loss if you can pump up. *shrug* I figured there would be a bit more options, but I guess it's just the starter deck(s) I'm using that feel very... non tactical?

Exentryk

I mean I got that "you want to have more cards than the opponent" in the tutorial bit. But I just don't see why you'd pass on a possible loss if you can pump up. *shrug* I figured there would be a bit more options, but I guess it's just the starter deck(s) I'm using that feel very... non tactical?

I pretty much always pass on the first round (except when playing against NR deck). The idea is to get as many cards as possible during the round I'm going to go all out. For some strategies to work optimally, you need to draw specific cards. Since you draw two cards after the first round, it's the round you'll have the maximum amount of cards in while still being able to win the match. Passing the first round can also be used to bait the opponent in to playing some of their bigger cards. You can also use your spy cards in that first round to get more cards.

I dunno. Me and the opponent basically went for broke trying to beat each other in strength. I won because I had like a boost and kept a monster on the board after the round ended. I kinda expected a bit more strategy than "get as big a number as you can and hope your opponent doesn't match/exceed."

I understand what you mean.

by round 3, it's as if the game plays itself and you're just trying to get your hand out there. In some rounds, Im not even really paying attention to the enemy and just trying to put out my hand.

I feel like maybe they need to add another layer to it. I think maybe some way to generate gold, and then use a one time boost of some kind could maybe work?

Like, add in a store mechanic in-game to buy a meta-changing thing like... both draw an extra card, buy back a turn after you skip it, play two cards in one turn, etc.

Maybe those could turn into leaders, but it seems there needs to be something extra...

TheSeks

I pretty much always pass on the first round (except when playing against NR deck). The idea is to get as many cards as possible during the round I'm going to go all out. For some strategies to work optimally, you need to draw specific cards. Since you draw two cards after the first round, it's the round you'll have the maximum amount of cards in while still being able to win the match. Passing the first round can also be used to bait the opponent in to playing some of their bigger cards. You can also use your spy cards in that first round to get more cards.

I haven't ran into Spy cards yet probably because I'm using the pre-built decks. But it seems like if you pass first, you're setting yourself up for a possible loss even with card advantage. You have no clue if they kept high strength (12/Gold like Geralt) because you auto-passed first turn with a low strength to give them a "win" and are on the back-foot for the next two.

Speaking of which, apparently I couldn't buff Geralt despite him being a Witcher class(?) with the Witcher +12 potion card?

I understand what you mean.

by round 3, it's as if the game plays itself and you're just trying to get your hand out there. In some rounds, Im not even really paying attention to the enemy and just trying to put out my hand.

I feel like maybe they need to add another layer to it. I think maybe some way to generate gold, and then use a one time boost of some kind could maybe work?

Like, add in a store mechanic in-game to buy a meta-changing thing like... both draw an extra card, buy back a turn after you skip it, play two cards in one turn, etc.

Maybe those could turn into leaders, but it seems there needs to be something extra...

I dunno about that. I'm not trying to MOBA-ize or whatever the game. But I feel like the board should be a bit more involved than "put big numbers out and hope you win so you can put another big number out." I get the buff/debuff cards and the weather/clear weather effects that affect that strength/number. But that doesn't seem "deep" enough to keep people playing. I feel like having the three rows duke it out and keep certain cards would be a bit more investing, but I guess that wouldn't match the Witcher 3 Gwent that was popular (which I haven't played yet).

Exentryk

I haven't ran into Spy cards yet probably because I'm using the pre-built decks. But it seems like if you pass first, you're setting yourself up for a possible loss even with card advantage. You have no clue if they kept high strength (12/Gold like Geralt) because you auto-passed first turn with a low strength to give them a "win" and are on the back-foot for the next two.

Speaking of which, apparently I couldn't buff Geralt despite him being a Witcher class(?) with the Witcher +12 potion card?

If you pull the right cards, the scores are never an issue. And since you can use adrenaline rush and gold them, you can also carry them through to round 3 for a win. ;)

Regarding Geralt, you can't change a Gold card unless using some very specific cards. So that potion is useful for Vesemir and Eskel for now, but more Witchers cards are planned.

Kuosi

Is the one Skellige card that gives every card in your graveyard +2 any good?

situationally very high value card if you can fit it in and you run queen's guard, with 3 resses it's at 8 power, with queen's guard you'd be at 12

still I think the 200scraps could be used better elsewhere

Oynox

I guess the next wave got invited because I just received two additional Xbox One codes. Got no use for them so the first two who quote me will get them.

Had a brain fart because I tend to throw the first round 95% of the time. I was thinking "why won't this guy play any cards?" then I realised what was happening. If you don't do anything the game just throws cards out. Lost a Commander Horn for nothing.

Dont' forget to play a card. It won't just pass for you

Iceman829

Well looks like I got my beta code today. Is there a good place to pick up the basics or does the game have a tutorial to explain things?

Top Bottom