• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

So how much potential does this have? How much did they flesh it out from the overly simplistic and OP Witcher 3 version?

It sounds like a novelty that would be incredibly hard to expand with its ruleset.

Exentryk

Also is there a card that harms your own units in NR? Because I could see abusing the Medic mechanic with Dandelion to have 2 or 3 commander horns per turn. I will check if I can build a deck that can abuse Dandelion to hell and back.

Buffing and Scorch, Lacerate, Alzur's Thunder, Manticore Venom, Mrygtabrakke, etc. might work. Haven't tried it.

But does using Commander's Horn twice actually work? It didn't work in TW3, but granted it was a different mechanic by being on the side of the board. So I feel like it should work, but haven't tested it.

So how much potential does this have? How much did they flesh it out from the overly simplistic and OP Witcher 3 version?

It sounds like a novelty that would be incredibly hard to expand with its ruleset.

About the potential no idea, but this version is completely different than the one found in The Witcher 3, there you could overwhelm the CPU with stronger combinations and abuse the spies mechanics to gain card advantage up the wazoo.

In the stand alone version getting card advantage is rather difficult since the Spies no longer draw 2 cards to your hand, though you could build decks that can "rig" the RNG to your favor.

Though they do require knowledge of the deck you are playing.

Buffing and Scorch, Lacerate, Alzur's Thunder, Manticore Venom, Mrygtabrakke, etc. might work. Haven't tried it.

But does using Commander's Horn twice actually work? It didn't work in TW3, but granted it was a different mechanic by being on the side of the board. So I feel like it should work, but haven't tested it.

Ohh yeah I forgot about that one, I will test it soon in the practice sector, I feel that the practice side should allow you to choose your opening hand and not just draw it like a normal match, the idea is to test the synergies and not just play a game with the CPU that earns you nothing.

I am yet to earn enough for Dimertium Bomb, but I was curious about how it would interact with weather cards. So, the bomb basically nullifies the weather effect eh? That's good to know. Could be one way to tackle weather effects for NR. Thanks.

It undoes all changes made i.e reverting all strength back to white (neutral). This includes weather effects since you're effected by them as the card is introduced to the affected row. It can save your skin if the enemy buffs a few cards to high hell too

It undoes all changes made i.e reverting all strength back to white (neutral). This includes weather effects since you're effected by them as the card is introduced to the affected row. It can save your skin if the enemy buffs a few cards to high hell too

It doesn't work on golden cards though. If you have a Dimeritium bomb and didn't use it before NR promoted their units, it will not work on them, I have seen a lot of people trying to use Dimeritium Bomb against my 3 drug up the ass promoted poor infantry and didn't work.

Though if combined with Dijkstra it can work against the rushed promoted units.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Haha, nice! Tough decision, but it worked out.

THAT BIRNA BRAN GAMBLE! I wouldn't have play it, though if you got another Priestesses of Freya you could have also won, no idea what you were going after though.

That "Epidemic" card came out of nowhere. Chances were good enough to get a card with ~5+ strength, but that Geralt saved my ass then.

-------

Skellige is so fun after some changes. I'm basically playing with my graveyard xD

barely lost at all yesterday and just now i went on a 6 game losing streak. bad draws after bad draws and i'm running into some good cards now. tried to do my third round skellige bullshit and the other guy played borkh three jackdaws. pretty much had to forfeit right there lol

I think balance wise the game has the problem of the Skellige and Scoiatel decks needing a few more cards than the other two to get going.

The progression of the game is interesting in that is linear. That has both a bad side and a good side: the bad side is that the first 4-5 hours in other games you progress faster and win more cards, which is needed to make the player invested and kick-start the deckbuilding part. The good side is that when you reach the 15th hour, you will still get cards at the same rate, unlike other games where the progress has slowed down at that point. So in the long term for regular players I suppose it will be better?

They're on to me!

Though, his description is bad. I'll say it straight up, I'm taking credit for making this deck. I've been using it for a few days already and so far I've only played against it twice in probably a 75+ games.

That said, his version of it is not great. Using a Redanian Knight is silly since its an 8 strength card with no ability. I started using Reinforced Trebuchet because after I used Adrenaline Rush and Promotion it will still do damage every other turn to the opponent. I've since switched over to Poor Infantry (3 strength, makes a copy of itself when it spawns). The benefit of Poor Infantry is two-fold, you have multiple of them out on the table so you can stagger your buffs to protect against a Scorch. And then after you buff it up, us Adrenaline Rush, then copy it with Foltest the new copy then spawns a third copy because of the card ability. So you have three hugely buffed card, all with Adrenaline Rush, and then turned gold going into the next turn. I'm currently uploading a video where I skipped round 1, then on round 2 buffed up to 503 strength, then carried 414 strength over to round 3.

They're on to me!

Though, his description is bad. I'll say it straight up, I'm taking credit for making this deck. I've been using it for a few days already and so far I've only played against it twice in probably a 75+ games.

That said, his version of it is not great. Using a Redanian Knight is silly since its an 8 strength card with no ability. I started using Reinforced Trebuchet because after I used Adrenaline Rush and Promotion it will still do damage every other turn to the opponent. I've since switched over to Poor Infantry (3 strength, makes a copy of itself when it spawns). The benefit of Poor Infantry is two-fold, you have multiple of them out on the table so you can stagger your buffs to protect against a Scorch. And then after you buff it up, us Adrenaline Rush, then copy it with Foltest the new copy then spawns a third copy because of the card ability. So you have three hugely buffed card, all with Adrenaline Rush, and then turned gold going into the next turn. I'm currently uploading a video where I skipped round 1, then on round 2 buffed up to 503 strength, then carried 414 strength over to round 3.

The sad part is that is really easy to counter this deck if you at least save up 1 or 2 cards for control, like Scorch or frost/rain/fog (the best idea would be to have aeromancy in your hand), but how did you got them so high?

The best I could do was basically buff-swallowx2/Commanders Horn. I think the most I got each individual poor infantry unit at 70 and then carry 210 to the next round.

bjaelke

I'll say it straight up, I'm taking credit for making this deck.
I played against the Trebuchet version a few days ago which was piloted by a one of the developers (Antares147). Luckily he never got a promote in hand.

The sad part is that is really easy to counter this deck if you at least save up 1 or 2 cards for control, like Scorch or frost/rain/fog (the best idea would be to have aeromancy in your hand), but how did you got them so high?

The best I could do was basically buff-swallowx2/Commanders Horn. I think the most I got each individual poor infantry unit at 70 and then carry 210 to the next round.

Craft yourself a Dandelion, it's a second Commander's Horn. Though, there's that Skellige unit (one of the bears) that does one damage to every new card that comes out. Pretty sure if that card kills Dandelion right away you don't get the effect. I haven't seen it with Dandelion specifically, but it blocked a Priscilla for me.

Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/Pe6ntGCc3R8

The deck is definitely beatable, but it largely works based on player psychology. Like I said above, using Poor Infantry and kind of spreading buffs around gives it some protection from Scorch, but its still vulnerable to weather and something like a Dimeterium Bomb. The problem is, if they use it too early, then you still have time to reasonably buff up and Adrenaline Rush your cards. Since I'm already commited to using all my cards in one turn, the opponent has to also commit to using basically all their cards as well because they need to save that weather card until near the end as well. And its hard for people to convince themselves to go all-in in a single round. Its a little easier for Monsters since they get a freebie carryover, plus they can make a weather deck so they can safely keep around multiple weather cards (fuck Ragh Nar Rooh).

Craft yourself a Dandelion, it's a second Commander's Horn. Though, there's that Skellige unit (one of the bears) that does one damage to every new card that comes out. Pretty sure if that card kills Dandelion right away you don't get the effect. I haven't seen it with Dandelion specifically, but it blocked a Priscilla for me.

Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/Pe6ntGCc3R8

The deck is definitely beatable, but it largely works based on player psychology. Like I said above, using Poor Infantry and kind of spreading buffs around gives it some protection from Scorch, but its still vulnerable to weather and something like a Dimeterium Bomb. The problem is, if they use it too early, then you still have time to reasonably buff up and Adrenaline Rush your cards. Since I'm already commited to using all my cards in one turn, the opponent has to also commit to using basically all their cards as well because they need to save that weather card until near the end as well. And its hard for people to convince themselves to go all-in in a single round. Its a little easier for Monsters since they get a freebie carryover, plus they can make a weather deck so they can safely keep around multiple weather cards (fuck Ragh Nar Rooh).

Yeah, the deck is pretty beatable if the opponent has the commitment to attack your units and not just pass.

I was trying new ways to bait people to pass earlier and I usually play a weather card on my first round and pass and then on round 2 I start to invest, for some reasons people are worry of not passing on Round 1 and avoid the rush-prom strategy but on round 2 they are more willing to let it go for some reason.

And you are right, I just crafted a Dandelion to see if it stacks with Commanders Horn. And holly shit it does!

122hruto.jpg

Though it would have been better if I got to promote a poor infantry but I didn't have luck on that hand.

Kuosi

They're on to me!

Doesnt this get pretty much countered by the monsters weather decks that I face over half the games?

Doesnt this get pretty much countered by the monsters weather decks that I face over half the games?

Its definitely my biggest concern. You do kind of got to get lucky that you have a decent draw, and the Monsters go Eredin/Geralt + pass on the first turn. Then you use the first turn to get your buffs out there and challenge the monsters to outscore you on the second turn.

Based on the Gwent forums, both Adrenaline Rush + Promote and Weather strategies are being looked at closely in the beta, so both decks will probably have a lot more counters in "full" release.

Kuosi

Its definitely my biggest concern. You do kind of got to get lucky that you have a decent draw, and the Monsters go Eredin/Geralt + pass on the first turn. Then you use the first turn to get your buffs out there and challenge the monsters to outscore you on the second turn.

Based on the Gwent forums, both Adrenaline Rush + Promote and Weather strategies are being looked at closely in the beta, so both decks will probably have a lot more counters in "full" release.

Yeh if they pass early you have a good chance, the weather decks are essentially control decks that can't really push high numbers

I'm finally getting the hang of this game and I'm really enjoying it. I've gone with Scoiatel and Im winning more matches than losing. Is there a way to see your W/L record broken down by deck?

People are starting to get much better cards. Having a really hard time compared to the other day. Just managing to go 50/50

Also I wanna complain about Philippa. She's freaking busted. Even if you build your units with a Scorch contingency she'll still completely ruin your investment. Apparently she effects gold cards too (she's a disloyal unit that reduces all cards on that row to 1 strength). She's better than Scorch, much better. If she only worked on the two highest units she'd still be nuts

got the shop working on a different computer

about 200 kegs later...
all rares
36/56 epics
12/48 legendaries (5 of which are leaders, 4 of which were free from the start)

5000 scrap

tldr: save scrap for legendaries

Exentryk

People are starting to get much better cards. Having a really hard time compared to the other day. Just managing to go 50/50

Also I wanna complain about Philippa. She's freaking busted. Even if you build your units with a Scorch contingency she'll still completely ruin your investment. Apparently she effects gold cards too (she's a disloyal unit that reduces all cards on that row to 1 strength). She's better than Scorch, much better. If she only worked on the two highest units she'd still be nuts

Yeah, she sounds like an awesome card to have. That 800 points could take me months tho.

anyone have brann? can you use your ability with no cards in hand?

Even if it does, it'd be a bug and so they'll fix it.

anyone have brann? can you use your ability with no cards in hand?
I don't have Bran, but I have Svanrige who draws 1 and discards 1. When I played him with no cards left in my hand, it went through the draw process but didn't give it to me cause there was nothing to discard. I'm guessing something similar would happen with Bran.

squidyj

I don't have Bran, but I have Svanrige who draws 1 and discards 1. When I played him with no cards left in my hand, it went through the draw process but didn't give it to me cause there was nothing to discard. I'm guessing something similar would happen with Bran.

svanrige draws then discards, in essence you would draw, have 1 card in hand, and be forced to discard exactly the card you just drew.

slamerz

Neo Member
So I've been waiting for the Beta code, and loved the idea of playing more GWENT, but after looking through the screenshots in the thread am I the only one who thinks it looks so much uglier?

Exentryk

Just had my first encounter with Borkh Three Jackdaws user (the dragon that kills highest two cards in a row after 3 turns). I had assumed the card only works in a single row, and that you can pick a row, but that's not the case. It just takes the highest two cards on the whole battlefield and kills them.

The opponent was still learning the mechanics as well it seems, but the rage quit at the end was still funny. On a side note, I didn't realise I didn't have a Adrenaline Rush card until really late in the round, but I guess it didn't matter, haha!

https://youtu.be/elsDhCrL4O8

TheKeyPit

Banned
Just had my first encounter with Borkh Three Jackdaws user (the dragon that kills highest two cards in a row after 3 turns). I had assumed the card only works in a single row, and that you can pick a row, but that's not the case. It just takes the highest two cards on the whole battlefield and kills them.

The opponent was still learning the mechanics as well it seems, but the rage quit at the end was still funny. On a side note, I didn't realise I didn't have a Adrenaline Rush card until really late in the round, but I guess it didn't matter, haha!

He could've won the second round and maybe the third.

I think people will have to adapt in general and not try to make a mega combo in a single row every time.

edit: Hell very few people are using normal weather cards, only monsters decks, and only some of them! while they were one of the main elements in the original Gwent. I predict people coming back to them sooner or later, as another way to interrupt these long combos.

Kuosi

the card is rather disgusting when used right, then again so are most of the 800craft legs..

TheKeyPit

Banned
Madman Lugos only gets +1 for every unit in the graveyard. Still a good card for a third round.

Edit: I think I'll choose Cerys over him.

I think people will have to adapt in general and not try to make a mega combo in a single row every time.

edit: Hell very few people are using normal weather cards, only monsters decks, and only some of them! while they were one of the main elements in the original Gwent. I predict people coming back to them sooner or later, as another way to interrupt these long combos.

I usually try to buff in such a way in order to bait the enemy then dimeritium/sunny day and continue buffing. The problem with Philippa is you can't undo what she's done unless you have a dimeritium handy. Saved as the last card she's basically insurance. Her counterplay is literally 1 card in the entire game.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I usually try to buff in such a way in order to bait the enemy then dimeritium/sunny day and continue buffing. The problem with Philippa is you can't undo what she's done unless you have a dimeritium handy. Saved as the last card she's basically insurance. Her counterplay is literally 1 card in the entire game.

I love it to buff the original strength of my "when-played-from-graveyard-add-4-to-original-strength"-unit in order to intimidate my enemy and force him to play his Scorch-card, just to revive that unit in this or the next round with even more strength and most of the time without fear for it getting destroyed then :D
(Skellige)

Edit: Are there cards that reduce original strength?

Edit2: I'd really like to play against some GAF-players. There will be private matches in the full game, right?

I love it to buff the original strength of my "when-played-from-graveyard-add-4-to-original-strength"-unit in order to intimidate my enemy and force him to play his Scorch-card, just to revive that unit in this or the next round with even more strength and most of the time without fear for it getting destroyed then :D
(Skellige)

Yup. Gwent is a game of chicken as much as anything. Rarely do I get mad when I lose it's more like, "If I had just done this before I had done this I would have won." Sometimes you just get a shitty hand and can't help it and other time you win with shitty hands.

Switched my Skellige deck to focus on the Berserker bear + Axemen and man this is fun. Those two units can get stupidly buff depending on how many damaged enemies are on the field. I use the Savage Bear to feed the Axemen and that card is hilarious to see in action. My favourite thing is to put it down and watch all the 1 strength units get bopped before their effects even go off. Had this Northern Realms dude chaining medics so he could revive his Priscilla and when he finally did she got kicked the fuck out with the quickness lmao.

Really wish I had Harald the Cripple purely for the oh fuck factor of having him to round this deck out (the card does 4 damage to all wounded enemy units). Played a guy before with practically complete deck (counted like 7 or 8 legendaries) and that shit was terrifying. Went down to the last card, surprised how close it was. Didn't doubt I was gonna lose but it was fun. Too bad I didn't record it.

RaginRoss

Enjoying the games i've had so far, hopefully they fix a few wee things further into development.

- No progress at all for a loss seems pretty harsh. I've had lots of narrow losses and only a couple of wins so it feels like I can't really do anything to get additional cards - unless i'm missing something?

- Once one player passes, it's a little annoying that as the other player continues to play, it keeps switching back to the other player for a second.

I need to get better - destroyed all the AI with ease in Witcher 3 using the Foltest Siegemaster leader plus great siege units and don't have the cards to replicate it here(I doubt it'd work as well against real players anyway, but would be nice to give it a shot)

Kuosi

Enjoying the games i've had so far, hopefully they fix a few wee things further into development.

- No progress at all for a loss seems pretty harsh. I've had lots of narrow losses and only a couple of wins so it feels like I can't really do anything to get additional cards - unless i'm missing something?

- Once one player passes, it's a little annoying that as the other player continues to play, it keeps switching back to the other player for a second.

I need to get better - destroyed all the AI with ease in Witcher 3 using the Foltest Siegemaster leader plus great siege units and don't have the cards to replicate it here(I doubt it'd work as well against real players anyway, but would be nice to give it a shot)

well at least when you lose the enemy most likely presses "good game", while when you win the enemy is often too salty and you wont get extras

Holden

Needs to happen some cards have a passive that activates every X turns which still works after passing

I have been screw by Philippa a couple of times already but I don't think she is too much, I mean people need ways to defend themselves against certain type of attacks with a few cards, my issue is that it seems like the other decks don't have someone as powerful as her to take on certain challenges.

I think the same, a losing streak and you will be wasting 40 minutes of time without no reward. I think it would be fairer for everyone to diminish a bit the reward for winning and give something more when you lose.

Maybe change it to winning 2 "points" with a win and 1 point with a loss, and increase the level of your account daily instead with 3 / 6 /12 wins, with 7-8 / 15 / 30 points.

Wagram

I'm not GGing people play the Northern Realms strat anymore. It's too meta for me. I'm far more impressed by a Scoia'tael player who manages to pull out some crazy strat or a Skellige deck who plays in a totally different way. The Northern Realms strat is super HS Inner Fire Priest.

Top Bottom