• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

Holden

I r gud at the Gwent.

https://youtu.be/14O4UlYZjrg

I'd say this deck has probably a 75%+ win rate for me. I'd guess half my wins are usually someone forfeiting at the start of the second round.

On another note, the built in Xbox app for Windows 10 sucks at recording. There's only two quality settings and even High settings looks compressed as hell.

holy shit i started using this deck, it's so good

bjaelke

There are daily bonuses?

They have a smart system that rewards you for the first 3/6/12 wins of the day with extra ore/scrap and exp (it says "new day" in the reward menu after the game). You'll get 100 ore for your third win and a complete level. After that you need 6 wins to progress to the next level. And then 12. Each time you'll be rewarded with ore and scraps. After that it becomes a grind as Holden pointed out.

I have to say as someone who loved Gwent something is just...off. It's not bad in any way but I feel like I'd have more fun firing up Witcher and playing some of the innskeepers.

Randdalf

They have a smart system that rewards you for the first 3/6/12 wins of the day with extra ore/scrap and exp (it says "new day" in the reward menu after the game). You'll get 100 ore for your third win and a complete level. After that you need 6 wins to progress to the next level. And then 12. Each time you'll be rewarded with ore and scraps. After that it becomes a grind as Holden pointed out.

Ah I see, that's cool. Shame I don't win very much with my Skellige deck :D

Exentryk

Just learnt that if the first round is a tie, then the 2nd round is the decider round. I assumed the first round would give both 0 crowns >_>

I got lucky with my third keg and got a legendary pick between Cerys, Pavetta and Draug. Went with Cerys but I'm kind of thinking Draug would have been the smarter choice since it's a pretty damn good card. She can get pretty freaking buff if all 3 queensguard are in play but she doesn't exactly blow your socks off with her utility.

Skellige bros, should I craft 3 of that card that thins your deck?

edit: smh I don't think you can resurrect Cerys after she turns silver. The card is literally useless. If you have the choice don't get it! (for now)

you can't promote on the same turn as anything else and promote has to be the last thing you do in the sequence, you can't interact with the card after that. if you know what's coming you can wait for a few things

20+ card power invested in one card
the adrenaline rush
the foltest power.

scorch punishes all of these investments hard, and when played at the right time promote can't do shit about it.

I think taking the round with all of this combo in your hand without exposing yourself is pretty fuckiing dicey.

Here's the thing, Adrenaline Rush + Foltest + Promote are always the last three moves I'll make. Almost no one will go the first round and allow themselves to be drained down to two-three cards. Almost everyone is going to assume I'm going all-in the first round and so they'll sit back and they they can take the next two. By then it's too late. Even if they try to use Scorch earlier in the round when my trebuchet is mostly pumped up, Northern Realms has enough cards that spread the buffs around that I can keep a second card at like 75% and just switch over to that one if they Scorch.

The real concern is Monster decks that open with Eredin or Geralt. Because that 10 or 12 open requires 2-3 cards to beat alone, so if I want to win the first round I have to commit to the strategy, or else I give up the round and try to slug it out the second round.

Exentryk

Had my first tie. We're both in final round with 1 and 2 cards left over. And we both had special cards so it ended up a draw.

RDreamer

Had my first tie. We're both in final round with 1 and 2 cards left over. And we both had special cards so it ended up a draw.

I just had mine, too, and it was fucking epic. I could tell we were both contemplating going for broke or not during the 2nd round. In the end he won the 2nd round but we both escaped with 0 cards. It randomly picks 2 3-point cards for both of us in round 3. Tie! lol

Had a run in with a few weather monster deck with the Dagon leader. I think this dude went full storm and had like 5 weather cards in his hand. Ruined pretty much everything I started and he got me to blow my clear weather.

Also I can't help but notice that the graveyard resurrect mechanic is busted. You can check your graveyard and see a bunch of units but when you try to get something it gives way less options. One that sticks out is I can resurrect Gremist or any of the Skellige units that damage enemies. Is there some kind of restriction with those unit types? They're not gold.

Coreda

I have to say as someone who loved Gwent something is just...off. It's not bad in any way but I feel like I'd have more fun firing up Witcher and playing some of the innskeepers.

Little is the same about the vibe. I'll just leave it at that since most are enjoying it for what it is.

Sorian

Banned
I think I just had my first ragequit =D
"Your opponent's connection was lost and they were forced to forfeit"

Immediately after I played a res card that put 23 strength into play

you can't promote on the same turn as anything else and promote has to be the last thing you do in the sequence, you can't interact with the card after that. if you know what's coming you can wait for a few things

20+ card power invested in one card
the adrenaline rush
the foltest power.

scorch punishes all of these investments hard, and when played at the right time promote can't do shit about it.

I think taking the round with all of this combo in your hand without exposing yourself is pretty fuckiing dicey.

Except they are purposely waiting for you to pass. You can't scorch it unless you want to compete with them on card advantage. That's obviously what you need to do but you have to have the foresight to know that's what is going to start happening once you pass.

Sorian

Banned
Had a run in with a few weather monster deck with the Dagon leader. I think this dude went full storm and had like 5 weather cards in his hand. Ruined pretty much everything I started and he got me to blow my clear weather.

Also I can't help but notice that the graveyard resurrect mechanic is busted. You can check your graveyard and see a bunch of units but when you try to get something it gives way less options. One that sticks out is I can resurrect Gremist or any of the Skellige units that damage enemies. Is there some kind of restriction with those unit types? They're not gold.

Priestesses of Freya can only restore bronze units.

Sorian

Banned
What is up with the levelling system? Yesterday I needed 12 wins to get to level 5 but today I only needed 3.

squidyj

the basic skellige res unit can only res bronze cards, there's a silver unit, and a silver event in skellige that can res all non-gold though.

I love this card. It's basically worth 14 power on turn 3.

it can be worth a lot more than that, i played a priestess that pulled a 10 power priestess and an 11 power bear out of my graveyard. gg

Are the Witcher buff cards broken? I have buff cards that give a bonus if you use them on Witcher units but they never work when I try them on Geralt.

Holden

Are the Witcher buff cards broken? I have buff cards that give a bonus if you use them on Witcher units but they never work when I try them on Geralt.

because geralt is gold by default, you gotta either use it on the other witchers ( vesemir and co )
or remove the gold from geralt which can be done with a few cards afaik

ghostjoke

Banned
I realise now my only strategy in Gwent was using spies to overwhelm the opponent into using all their cards while I still had a full stack.

dex3108

That feeling when you lose a round of Gwent by 1 and both your oponent and you spend all cards before final round and you get spell card and he gets 3 point attack card in final round XD

RDreamer

I really wish you could see the rest of the hand you've been dealt when picking whether to re-pick the three cards or not. It's hard to know what strategies will work the way it is.

sonicmj1

I really wish you could see the rest of the hand you've been dealt when picking whether to re-pick the three cards or not. It's hard to know what strategies will work the way it is.

You can scroll right and see (and choose from) the rest of your hand.

But I understand the confusion. The zoomed-in view just makes it more difficult to tell what you're choosing from. It'd be easier if they kept the same perspective you have when you're normally playing.

Top Bottom