• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

Just lost 6 straight games in a row, oof. At least it was in casual instead of Ranked. I just wanted to do my dailies quickly, instead I just got crushed. Wasn't even as if I was playing particularly badly or anything ( definitely a few misplays here and there, but not major OMG YOU IDIOT plays).

JustinBB7

I just kept losing to axemen spells only again today, should have just went casual like I wanted too but I was like fuck it. Almost tied on wins/losses now. So sick of this shit.

Stream is on now, and weather got fucked hard, for the best in the end I suppose. Bunch of cards went back to closed beta stuff looks like, like renew.

Zemm

So far it looks like they're nerfing everything so everything will just be the same but at lower powers
1x

unplayable cards are still unplayable, hoping for a few interesting buffs at least, and I'm glad they've basically neutered weather.

Wagram

Pretty big weather nerfs, but Scoia still seems pretty oppressive. Elven Mercenary spamming with Overdose is coming.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
The bear now hurts both sides. This is a good change for sure. Make it a card that you need to synergize your own deck with also.

With weather being SIGNIFICANTLY less powerful (limits on units hurt, slightly different effects, Aeromancy no longer pulling from Graveyard), this will probably put an end to the Axeman as a main skellige card.

I think the NR changes are fair, though I still haven't seen whatever the siege support change was. It sounds like they tweaked a lot of numbers for NR, but it isn't clear to me which ones yet.

dwr

My prediction on the next meta:

T1
-Reveal NG
-Consume Monsters
-NR (both the 37 card deck archetype and the standard witchers\machines deck)

T2
-Spies NG
-Dwarves ST
-Queensguard/Discard SK

T3
-Control/Handbuff ST
-Wounding SK
-rest of the decks

T4
-Monsters (except consume)

Let's see how close I am :p

Edit: allright final edit, the more I read the card changes, the more I'm convinced that NR will end up T1, I'll bump that. And I'm still unsure about ST: sure some new roads opened, but tempo wise they'll still be lacking compared to the other factions, they're capable of a couple "short burst" tempo plays, but that's all really... I'm bringing them down a notch to T3. Dwarves will mostly be fine, just a bit boring to play.

Im loving playing my reveal NG deck, but it seems Ill only get better with Weather and SK nerfed.

I like the changes to Rain, Frost, and Fog, but I think the follow up nerfs to the weather based cards for Monster deck is too much.

I also think they need to start attaching more bonuses for weather cards like "Spawn a Frost Demon (3 power)" or "Irremovable for 2 turns" and stuff like that.

MrCinos

The bear now hurts both sides.
They hit only enemy side and only what's played from hand.

All in all, decent changes, but some are a bit puzzling. Nithral is even worse now while Jotunn is almost as good if not better in a lot of cases than Caranthir.

They hit only enemy side and only what's played from hand.

All in all, decent changes, but some are a bit puzzling. Nithral is even worse now while Jotunn is almost as good if not better in a lot of cases than Caranthir.

The summary thread on Reddit says it doesn't hit "Spawned" units. It gives the impression that "Summoned" units still get dinged. Unless the stream indicated different.

Zemm

In theory this patch looks a lot better and way less annoying to play. What should be the top tier decks look a lot more fair and less oppressive to play against. I've always been a fan of NG reveal being strong because it's also fair when they show so much of their hand. Think I'll try out that deck first when the patch is out. SK will be fine too with a more control type of deck (coral, wild boar) I think.

Overall patch seems fine. NR still doesn't have a legitimate win condition and will have to keep playing Witchers. Surprised they didn't change Donar.

The summary thread on Reddit says it doesn't hit "Spawned" units. It gives the impression that "Summoned" units still get dinged. Unless the stream indicated different.

Actual wording was "hits units played from hand", so I don't think summoned counts.

Overall weather got wrecked, I'm glad to see that they aren't against reverting changes like Imperial Golems, Elvish Merc etc. Gut says Nilfgaard is the faction to watch out for next patch.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Not sure about some of the stuff they're doing here. I don't get why frost has that effect instead of what is now the rain effect, those feel like big changes to both that totally flip what you normally expect from the card. Not having fog double up on the same unit power feels like a bit much as well, lining up numbers to hit multiple units was the most satisfying part of playing weather.

Frost was always way too good in basically every situation, so that getting changed, sure. But I also don't like the additional changes to frost based cards...I have no idea why they would hit the Hound now without even seeing how this changes things, and Caranthir...nope.

Kinda bummed about the Renew changes the most, yeah it's a really good card but it's so damn fun to play with and the games always more interesting when you can steal your opponents stuff.

City 17

Don't think that we'll see much or any Kambi/Hjalmar plays, basically you lock Undvik and you'll have a 16 str gold body while the opp. has 13, and he's the one that's played 2 golds.

Not sure about some of the stuff they're doing here. I don't get why frost has that effect instead of what is now the rain effect, those feel like big changes to both that totally flip what you normally expect from the card. Not having fog double up on the same unit power feels like a bit much as well, lining up numbers to hit multiple units was the most satisfying part of playing weather.

Frost was always way too good in basically every situation, so that getting changed, sure. But I also don't like the additional changes to frost based cards...I have no idea why they would hit the Hound now without even seeing how this changes things, and Caranthir...nope.

Well both frost and fog had synergy cards like foglets and ice giants

Rain had nothing until now

Exentryk

Actually feel NR might be really good now. Oh and Regis will see more play now!

And yeah, Borkh and Renew nerfs seem a little harsh. Both those cards made the game interesting, and I feel they were fair.

MrCinos

Kinda bummed about the Renew changes the most, yeah it's a really good card but it's so damn fun to play with and the games always more interesting when you can steal your opponents stuff.
Personally, Renew was by far the most frustrating Gold to play against and losing a coin flip vs. Renew decks was even worse than usual, especially in mirrors so I am glad it's getting a nerf.

Don't think that we'll see much or any Kambi/Hjalmar plays, basically you lock Undvik and you'll have a 16 str gold body while the opp. has 13, and he's the one that's played 2 golds.
13? Hjalmar's 0 if you shackle him with Kambi in play. If you've only a lock you lose since Geralt and Avallach add up to 21, or 18 in the worst case scenario in addition to Hjalmar's 13. Overall, If Kambi's opponent can stick at least one gold of his, he'd win, assuming he has one shackle. So Kambi decks should have 3 shackles in their decks and hope that the opponent doesn't have a single one... Yeah, it's dead.

City 17

13? Geralt and Avallach add up to 21, or 18 in the worst case scenario. If Kambi's opponent can stick at least one gold of his, he'd win. So Kambi decks should have 3 shackles in their decks and hope that the opponent doesn't have a single thing one... Yeah, it's dead.
13 = Hjalmar's new str
I wasn't talking about any other golds from each side, just saying that Hjalmar/Kambi combo would be a 13 vs 16 loss, and that's just with a simple locking unit, not a shackle.

Zemm

Actually feel NR might be really good now. Oh and Regis will see more play now!

And yeah, Borkh and Renew nerfs seem a little harsh. Both those cards made the game interesting, and I feel they were fair.

Bork felt absolutely terrible to play against, they could have removed that card entirely for all I care. Would love to never see it again. Interesting is not what I'd use to describe that card. Renew though yep.

Exentryk

Bork felt absolutely terrible to play against, they could have removed that card entirely for all I care. Would love to never see it again. Interesting is not what I'd use to describe that card. Renew though yep.

Haha, you're just missing out man! Borkh makes people do a lot of interesting things trying to dodge the scorches. Buffing opponent's cards, damaging their own cards, throwing down spies, demoting/locking Borkh, etc. It just make it very interesting to see how the two players play out the three turns once Borkh is in play. (I'm of course excluding spelltael stuff here). I feel it's one of the best cards in the game for pure fun and entertainment.

hollomat

Banned
These changes really make me feel uneasy about the future of Gwent. CDPR doesn't seem to know how to balance a card game. Rather than making an adjustment to one or two cards in a deck they're nerfing multiple.

Well I've lost 600 RP tonight so can someone point me to a good net deck?

I've gone 2-12 in ranked ;_;

Everything is going to be changed in a few days. Wouldn't it be better to just wait until after the update?

Actually doing really well this morning. I've been in a rut for a while having dropped from like one win from Rank 11 to somewhere around 1100 MMR over the course of the past few weeks. Took up my discard skellige deck again and won left and right, finally getting myself into 1800 MMR range.

Its been a while since I've had fun with a Queensguard deck but I'm really having fun with this Queensguard deck.

Only reason the guy lost was because it was a mirror.

We both hit Operator Queensguard, I used Birna Bran to steal one of his from his graveyard, and then I used a Summoning Circle on the first Queensguard he used in round 1. Gimmicky as hell deck but its the kind of thing I've been missing from Gwent for a while.

Its been a while since I've had fun with a Queensguard deck but I'm really having fun with this Queensguard deck.

Only reason the guy lost was because it was a mirror.

We both hit Operator Queensguard, I used Birna Bran to steal one of his from his graveyard, and then I used a Summoning Circle on the first Queensguard he used in round 1. Gimmicky as hell deck but its the kind of thing I've been missing from Gwent for a while.

I play a QG game and immediately run into a monsters deck with ghouls and griffins.

I like QG but I refuse to play it for that reason alone.

Wagram

Ahh feels nice stomping a Skellige player into the ground.

I'm tinkering with a new NR Armor based build. It's pretty nice.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yep, looks like patch is live... god bless

Stalwart

11k scraps from milling today. Feels so damn good. Just opened a premium Natalis last week too so I was hoping they'd buff him but this is even better.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
NR took some hard fucking nerfs this time after it seemed like they would be largely left alone. Reaver Scout to 1 Power is massive. It will be killed by anything. Savage Bears, most weathers, damn it is so bad. You almost have to run it in Foltest only or the card dies nearly guaranteed.

Same with Kaedweni Sergeant only buffing bronzes. That make him much less important to the overall victory condition. Since most NR decks were running Witchers as the finisher you can't get any buffs to those by Kaedweni's buffing everything up. So now you're relying on stuff like Seige towers or just straight minion spam to win. Not really sure the seige units are worth it anymore since armor shuts them down so hard.

Exentryk

Haven't played in more than a week. Is there a list of full value refund cards? Might just log on to mill and then go back to the other game I'm playing.

Stalwart

Haven't played in more than a week. Is there a list of full value refund cards? Might just log on to mill and then go back to the other game I'm playing.

https://i.imgur.com/UXOb1P4.jpg

Alternatively,

Aeromancy
Alzur's Double-Cross
Avallac'h
Ballista
Berserker Marauder
Biting Frost
Bloodcurdling Roar
Caranthir
Celaeno Harpy
Clan Drummond Shieldmaiden
Clan Tuirseach Axeman
Decoy
Dol Blathanna Trapper
Hjalmar
Impenetrable Fog
Ithlinne
John Calveit
John Natalis
Kaedweni Sergeant
Kaedweni Siege Support
Kambi (Hemdall)
Leo Bonhart
Marching Orders
Morkvarg
Olgierd
Operator
Reaver Scout
Regis: Higher Vampire
Reinforced Ballista
Reinforced Trebuchet
Renew
Savage Bear
Skellige Storm
Stammelford's Tremors
Succubus
Torrential Rain
Trebuchet
Villentretenmerth
White Frost
Wild Hunt Hound

NR took some hard fucking nerfs this time after it seemed like they would be largely left alone. Reaver Scout to 1 Power is massive. It will be killed by anything. Savage Bears, most weathers, damn it is so bad. You almost have to run it in Foltest only or the card dies nearly guaranteed.

Same with Kaedweni Sergeant only buffing bronzes. That make him much less important to the overall victory condition. Since most NR decks were running Witchers as the finisher you can't get any buffs to those by Kaedweni's buffing everything up. So now you're relying on stuff like Seige towers or just straight minion spam to win. Not really sure the seige units are worth it anymore since armor shuts them down so hard.

Not to mention trebuchets only hitting 3 minions now instead of a full row and lowering its base dmg from 2 to 1 :/

Sergeants were also good for buffing up Deathmold and Margarita.

hollomat

Banned
Sitting on 13k scraps and I have a tier one deck (consume monsters) fully crafted. Haven't put a dollar into the game and I've only been playing since the last week of closed beta. They are way too generous and I actually fear for the future of the game because of it. I don't see why anyone would put money in when the rewards are this generous.

Sitting on 13k scraps and I have a tier one deck (consume monsters) fully crafted. Haven't put a dollar into the game and I've only been playing since the last week of closed beta. They are way too generous and I actually fear for the future of the game because of it. I don't see why anyone would put money in when the rewards are this generous.

They should never have increased scrap value and give that many full refunds. The dust trick sent it way overboard as well.

At first I felt the game was a little stingy in open beta but it became fair after a while.

Im waiting for the campaigns personally. Never had any intention of purchasing cards and I have more than enough experience with the bad drop rates to begin with sooo ...

Zemm

Monster players must make up 70% of ladder right now judging by these streams, it's everywhere. Thankfully they aren't anywhere near as bad to play against as SK was, and I'm sure it'll drop a bit within the week. Looks like Gigni is going to be in almost all decks as well, the card is too valuable right now.

Took out DShackles from my deck and put a Lacerate in because of the rain weather nerf. First match is consume monsters and I get a 45 point Lacerate on the first round.

AndersK

I hauled my ass up to 2800 Mmr finally, with bamboozle ST. Now I 'just' need 300 more for those sweet 6 kegs. First foray into ST decks, damn, Brouver is amazing.

For some reason I can't get reveal to work for me, even though it did pre-patch. I've got a great selection of cards from all factions bar Monsters, which I've somehow not gotten any epics/legendaries of. Oh well. Consume is hard but seems doable compared to SK.

Top Bottom