• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

Zemm

yeah but the only thing that matters when climbing the ladder is that people feel they're progressing so they keep playing, so matchmaking is quicker and easier. It's fine for it to be like this because the only ranks that matter are the top 100 legends in HS and whatever the same is in Gwent

Zemm

Every streamer playing monster and 70% of ladder is monster. So much for that nerf I guess. It's not super OP but fuck it's a boring faction to watch/play.

Monsters is always up there in the meta and manage to skate by most nerfs. Skellige and Nilfgaard have been bodied pretty hard in comparison

Monsters is always up there in the meta and manage to skate by most nerfs. Skellige and Nilfgaard have been bodied pretty hard in comparison

Nilfgaard is quasi-decent with Reveal, but Consume and Dorfs just have so much carryover. I can't seem to find any Skellige or other Northern Realms players in Ranked.

Huh, just noticed that getting full scrap value out of nerfed cards has ended. Guess it must have been that hotfix that just occurred.

Naar

Well that didn't really answer my question about ranking though...

I'm basically asking am I legit in the top 10,000 or is it just inflated now and rank doesn't matter unless you're top 1,000?

Also I just started to use Eleyas. I just lost a game because of him, but I'm still learning him. How am I supposed to use him? I had a 14 point card and grave hag was 25. I use Eleyas and hit the grave hag with the 14 power unit and ai still lost.

Before the attack he was 55 points and I was 37 I think. After the attack I was 37 and he was 41 or something like that. So I'm confused how to use him effectively 🤔

JustinBB7

They changed ranking so that you don't lose points anymore till 1000mmr. Which inflates heavily so everybody is pretty much getting free 1000mmr in a way. I lost more than I won past 2 days but still climbed high as shit. Kinda dumb but at least it fixed my giant fall from top 1000 to 20k a bit lol.

Zemm

Well that didn't really answer my question about ranking though...

I'm basically asking am I legit in the top 10,000 or is it just inflated now and rank doesn't matter unless you're top 1,000?

Whatever position you're in, that's where you are. Of course it's legit. They've made it easier for everyone to climb so it's not just you getting an easier ride.

It's only once you reach around the 3800-4000 mark that the win/lose points start to even out iirc

Wagram

I have come to the conclusion that I really, really, fucking despise the low skill OP meta net deck players. Drives me up the wall.

AndersK

I've noticed 2 or 3 in the current global top 10 having negative winrates. Something like 1050 W, 1111 L , 46 D.

Maybe they're being at be to generous with the new MMR. I don't care much about top ranked anyways, just found it odd.

Edit: around 3300 i win 35-45 points, and usually lose just short of 20.

Musan

I've noticed 2 or 3 in the current global top 10 having negative winrates. Something like 1050 W, 1111 L , 46 D.

Maybe they're being at be to generous with the new MMR. I don't care much about top ranked anyways, just found it odd.

Edit: around 3300 i win 35-45 points, and usually lose just short of 20.

In ELO systems, total winrate doesn't matter, o rather it is your recent performance.

Zemm

I have come to the conclusion that I really, really, fucking despise the low skill OP meta net deck players. Drives me up the wall.

Monsters and dwarves right now make pirate warrior look like a mensa required deck. Those decks need fixes because you can't make decks that easy yet tier 1 too (well you can but it's pretty shit game design /amateur). If they were hard to pilot like Grim Patron warriors were in HS then sure, fine, but not when they're like this where any idiot can climb to high ranks slamming their face on the keyboard or pad. Right now HS is so far ahead when it comes to skill required to pilot a deck.

frontovik

Banned
Consume Monsters are so annoying to play against .. but it's so rewarding to curbstomp them once in awhile with Scoia'tel.

WLkckrV.jpg

Zemm

Finally rank 17, that was a grind and a half playing against monsters non stop.

I feel like there's so few fun decks to play right now. Monsters dominating the ladder really forces you into a very very small set of cards you can pick from unless you enjoy getting beat over and over. Monster is really boring to play, I played a lot of discard SK and that was pretty clunky but not terrible, NG reveal is fun and is the deck I've played 80% or so of the time, Dwarves are just braindead, the movement elves ST is alright, everything NR is dull as hell.

Thank God for casual mode, think I'll play that a bit more now that I've hit my target rank and try out some funky weird decks.

Stalwart

Why are you complaining about dwarves if you've been playing reveal NG the vast majority of the time? That deck hard counters it.

Zemm

You can still see just how easy it is to play without much if any thought required, and I also played it alot before this patch. Easily the easiest deck to pilot and with insane carry over, something they tried to nerf in this patch. They should honestly just get rid of resilience and buff the cards elsewhere.

To add some positivity, the game is much much better now than the previous patch. I'm hoping they can keep improving it like they did this time.

Weren't chrionex and unicorn supposed to be gold cards two patches ago, I specifically remember CDPR saying something about that so they wouldn't be affected by bears. WTF happened to that?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Weren't chrionex and unicorn supposed to be gold cards two patches ago, I specifically remember CDPR saying something about that so they wouldn't be affected by bears. WTF happened to that?

IIRC it was during one of the streams but didn't make it into the actual patch.

They do stuff like that sometimes, like Caranthir being a 9 now when he was shown as a 7 during the stream. Does the bear hit them though? Thought it didn't hit spawned stuff anymore.

Anarkin

You can still see just how easy it is to play without much if any thought required, and I also played it alot before this patch. Easily the easiest deck to pilot and with insane carry over, something they tried to nerf in this patch. They should honestly just get rid of resilience and buff the cards elsewhere.

To add some positivity, the game is much much better now than the previous patch. I'm hoping they can keep improving it like they did this time.

Cards with resilience should reset to base strength when the round ends.

Aenima

IIRC it was during one of the streams but didn't make it into the actual patch.

They do stuff like that sometimes, like Caranthir being a 9 now when he was shown as a 7 during the stream. Does the bear hit them though? Thought it didn't hit spawned stuff anymore.

The problem is not the bear, the problem is you can use Decoy to play the Unicorn ability again. Is like using a Decoy to replay a Gold card ability. Should not be possible. The bear does not hit the spawns now.

About the new MMR system im loving it. I was stuck at 2300-2600 mmr last patch and just jumped to 3800 mmr. At 3700 mmr the gains/ losses start being the same, so u need to start winning more games than u lose to climb above that mark.

Also the game has mmr up to rank 21 and every top player was stuck at rank 19 region because they was gaining like 1-7 points for win and lost like 20 for losses so many just reached a top spot and just played casual cuz was just not worth to play ranked like that.

Zemm

Consume monster is ridiculous. I switched from NG reveal because it's just too weak to resets and every deck is running at least one minimum. Consume monster just brushes off resets and keeps trucking. It has multiple win conditions as well whereas reveal is just spotters mainly. All in all, consume is crazy. I do think reveal NG is the most fun deck to play in the game and requires some actual thinking, hoping they can make it a little less reliant on spotters to finish the game.

Monster weather decks continue to be the bane of my gwent experience.

They continue to be straight up assault decks where you are forced to respond with whatever weather removals you may happen to have, only for them to out-harass you by simply having more weather cards.

I just can't seem to counter any time a monster deck carries 5+ weather cards. I get no chance to play my own deck, have to respond or painfully endure weather, and then get screwed over by even more weather. Has anyone successfully played against Monster decks with 4-5 fog cards, which then multiply the foglets, followed by the one card that consumes the graveyard?

The worst part is that Monster decks have like 6 different playstyles guaranteeing a victory-- consuming, graveyard consuming, graveyard robbing, Triss butterfly, Multiplying, weather offense, even stealing your highest card.

Ivellios

I was having fun in the beginning, but now not so much, everyone i play with has a currently meta deck they take from the internet, mostly being monster, so the game is starting to feel a little stale for me

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, Monster always seems to find a way to be insane, lol.

Consume is strong but that swarm triss stuff might be even crazier.

Zemm

Dagon is even crazier than consume. Even the weather nerf can't stop them. Might just be time to admit the weather stuff was a bad idea and remove them and change any cards that plays weather when deployed.

They'll never do that but I wouldn't care if they did. They'll probably just put more weather clear on cards which will just be the most boring fix. Everyone eventually running 2-4 nauzica standard bearer type cards.

frontovik

Banned
They should call this .. Gwent: The Monster Card game, am I right?

At this point, I'm really only curious to delve into the upcoming campaign.

Been trying home brew anti monster meta decks, not having great success. I think it's time to concede to myself that I am a terrible deck constructor and just stick to my trusty practice of watching streams, identifying a meta-crushing deck, and using that to grind. So far that looks like Monster tokens.

Zemm

I tried to build decks to break axemen last patch and it was pretty much unbreakable. Same with monsters this patch. At least when NG were dominating it was possible to make an SK deck that had like a 90% win rate vs them.

Aenima

I tried to build decks to break axemen last patch and it was pretty much unbreakable. Same with monsters this patch. At least when NG were dominating it was possible to make an SK deck that had like a 90% win rate vs them.

I built a anti axeman deck too and i got easy wins all the time against axemen. Igni / scorch and madroeme destroy axeman, And i still use those cards this patch as it destroy many factions win consitions. What made SK unfair was the amout of OP cards they had, like Hjalmar, Shield Maidens and stupid Kambi. (Kambi was not an OP card, it was just a idiotic winning condition based on D. schacles and gold bodies and im glad its gone)

Monsters are hard to beat as the faction is very flexible and can use many diferent strong playstyles (thats why i love monsters) but have to admit the flood in monsters decks this patch is making it boring already.

MO. Swarm: decks with triss and Yen. Very hard to beat, the best counter i found was D. Shacles on Triss, and lacerate to remove a big amout of units. Trying to keep the same units u have and ur oponent have on ur board, nulifies any gains from Yen unicorn.

MO. Weather: Usually uses low str cards so all the extra points they gain are from weather damage. You can counter it by many ways. Single row clear skyes card, mages to clear skyes in all rows, or First light card to clear skyes or rally if the weather is not bothering you. Also potions that add shield, making a unit with shield be the one taking the damage and u get like 2 turn where weather dosent do nothing.

MO. Consule: They all use the same strategy, scorch vran, lock arachas, lacerate mid row, Spore the nekker and lock / kill the gravehag, are all counters.

Unlike last patch where SK was super cancerous, this patch monsters are only strong because of the weather nerf. With last patch weather was impossible to swarm the board, so no Monst swarm or consume was viable. And now even weather monsters are strong because not many use clear skyes. But all decks can be beaten if u know how to counter them.

Cards i include in my deck to counter not only monsters but many of the other factions win consitions:
- G.Igni and Scorch (with weather doing so little damage and ppl using potions to make units big, this cards always get value if played in the right time)
- Madroeme, not usefull against all decks, but still heavy counters popular decks like Monster Consume, ST Dorfs and NG Reveal. Or any deck that focus in buffing a certain unit too much)

- Lacerate : Im not using right now, because my mage uses lacerate, but lacerate this patch has huge value as many decks stack alot of units in a row, so a lacerate close to the end of the turn usually ends up being a 15-20+ point card. witch is crazy for a bronze card.

frontovik

Banned
I appreciate the irony in which I was assaulted with Monster Fog weather for rounds 1 (conceded) & 2 (won), and then I proceeded to use Weather (Ida's fog) on two of his rows for the closing round.

He even played Grave Hag & Crones, and lost! I was playing Scoia'tel Mulligan.

It was a very satisfying match in that regards.

Warablo

When I was getting serious about getting to rank 17 and 18, I made a consume monster deck. Then from rank 17 to 18, I made the Triss swarm deck. Finally hit rank 18, I gotta say Triss swarm deck is by far the best deck in this meta. It can even beat Ranovid control deck that was designed to beat that deck.

Zemm

I feel like this patch has made winning the coin flip even more important than ever before. It's something they're going to have to come up with a solution for sooner rather than later.

frontovik

Banned
Is it relatively "easy" or "difficult" to make it within the top 1000/500 etc? It seems you need to have a far better W than D ratio to entertain the notion.

Zemm

Up to 4k is obtainable as long as you have a win/lose ratio of over 50% and can grind a bit.

I think I'd prefer it if they just copy the HS way of laddering tbh, think it's more fun.

Also the ladder seasons are way too fucking long. Should be a month max.

Zemm

I swear the closer you get to ranking up the more the game screws your hands. Was one win away from rank 19 about 5 times but would lose one, win one, repeat for ages until I finally got it.

Wagram

Getting close to just waiting for the single player. Community has just taken the fun out of the game for me. Very few experiment and try new things.

Zemm

I blame the game more than the players. There's just not enough cards to really promote variety in deck building. Most decks will have the same 20 or so cards in them with another 5 or so that are flexible and it's because those cards are so much better than the rest.

The community has pretty much figured out the game at this point and it's why I don't think adding 20 cards is enough. It'll be figured out again within a week. They need to drop 100 card expansions every 3 months or so to keep it fresh.

JustinBB7

Got my groove back lately by only doing first tier daily every day now. Usually go 3-0 or 3-1 now and just got rank 17. Feels much better this way to only play a little bit. If only I did this during huge loss streaks I would have still been top 1000...

Zemm

The game is just not good enough or varied enough to marathon really. Like doing the first daily is the sweet spot because anything after that is so boring.

Yea, I feel you on that. I used to be able to go long sessions though. I still can but there are just other things I'd rather play now. The art/sounds and atmosphere are what keeps me coming back rather than the card game when it used to be both.

Top Bottom