• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

Sorian

Banned
I only got to play for a couple hours earlier today but that swim deck with the scoia protectors and bronze resurrect guys was on point, went undeafeated over 8-9 games. Only weakness is hoping you draw into the protectors for round 3 but there were plenty of other ways to get them too as long as you wrap your head around raiding graveyards for special cards.

I only got to play for a couple hours earlier today but that swim deck with the scoia protectors and bronze resurrect guys was on point, went undeafeated over 8-9 games. Only weakness is hoping you draw into the protectors for round 3 but there were plenty of other ways to get them too as long as you wrap your head around raiding graveyards for special cards.

Yeah I was watching Swim stream today, deck looks really good. Elven Merc -> Tremors is really good.

Messed around with a deck of my own: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/28968-ships-and-swords

It's a new version of the old "put lots of base strength on units then rez them" SK strategy. Played 5 ranked matches, went 4-1, now at rank 10. Probably not really a Tier 1 deck but I thought it was fun to play. Lots of people fucking up how much strength they need to put on board to match me without drawing due to the Greatsword resetting themselves.

Oynox

Is this starter pack any good? Thinking about picking it up if it is bound to be a timed thing. Do you get the legendary right away or is it in a keg as well?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is this starter pack any good? Thinking about picking it up if it is bound to be a timed thing. Do you get the legendary right away or is it in a keg as well?

You get the legendary right away, you pick from three and they're all premium. It's a really good deal.

Going off first impression, the vulnerable golds change is pretty cool. Mulligan is buff as hell though. I struggled to make that archetype work before but now though, jeez. Vrihedd Officer really doesn't need that buff tbh. Otherwise I like it. Especially the Saskia and Francesca changes.

Naar

Going off first impression, the vulnerable golds change is pretty cool. Mulligan is buff as hell though. I struggled to make that archetype work before but now though, jeez. Vrihedd Officer really doesn't need that buff tbh. Otherwise I like it. Especially the Saskia and Francesca changes.

I managed to get to 4k mmr with Mulligan last season and the biggest issue was the set up. Was too slow to buff your guys. Now it's much faster but I am facing issues as to which cards to play first, but this is something that I will adjust to in time.

Also have to keep remembering NOT to Mulligan saskia away 😂😂😂😂

JustinBB7

Almost rank 12 again, tomorrow for sure. Using JJ's armor deck and man is it awesome, NR viable and fun again! Hope it stays that way for the rest of the patch because it's a great deck. NR was my first faction back in the days of Bloody Baron into Shani into Nenneke into another card for a billion value. But after they got that rework a while back I didn't like them much anymore and Skellige became my favs. But they took a hard hit now it seems :(

Also, thinking we should have another GAF Gwent Tournament soonish. Think we should rather use a site though because the google doc thing was kinda annoying. Anybody have any ideas for good sites to use?

JustinBB7

Yea that seems good. Let's figure out some details here and start talking dates in like a week or something. Let patch settle in a bit.

Do we get 8 people and start with quarter finals or get more?
Best of 3 or use CDPR's system of first till 3 and each player can ban a faction?

People should have enough decks this time right, after closed beta end + rewards and first season end + rewards. I remember last time we could use same decks because nobody had enough cards yet.

Naar

Yea that seems good. Let's figure out some details here and start talking dates in like a week or something. Let patch settle in a bit.

Do we get 8 people and start with quarter finals or get more?
Best of 3 or use CDPR's system of first till 3 and each player can ban a faction?

People should have enough decks this time right, after closed beta end + rewards and first season end + rewards. I remember last time we could use same decks because nobody had enough cards yet.

Can you please explain why we ban factions? I know a lot of card game tournaments do that and honestly don't know why.

I would love to join a tournament, but if we ban factions then I don't think I can join as I play some factions better than others and would be at a significant disadvantage

JustinBB7

Can you please explain why we ban factions? I know a lot of card game tournaments do that and honestly don't know why.

I would love to join a tournament, but if we ban factions then I don't think I can join as I play some factions better than others and would be at a significant disadvantage

It's to make it more interesting, if you feel best with discard skellige, and your opponent has a nilfgaard deck, you'll ban nilfgaard just in case it's a mill deck. It's to make your own chances of winning better really.

The way CDPR did it at their tournaments so far has been players bring 4 decks, all from different factions, and each player gets to ban one faction. First player to win with all 3 decks wins. It's a fun system. But it takes a bit longer so maybe for a GAF tournament we should just do best of 3.

So is the "Lock" spell useful anymore? Is it the same?

Since you can interact with gold, isnt the CLeaver card better? Despite gold interaction, it seems to be balanced by the fact that most spell cards dont target gold

Stupid phone auto-correct. :p Lacerate, as I'm sure you already know.

i thought you were using some sort of degenerate twitch slang but i decided to let it slide

let me just say tho that the instant they showed the archespore card on the stream i had an instant ptsd flashback to getting owned by them in the witcher 1

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That tremors change seems ill thought out and goes against what they just finally started fixing, other cards spawning real cards as a side effect. Celaeno Harpy basically had the actual harpy card forever in unplayable limbo, they finally made it a token along with some other cards and suddenly make this spawn the elemental right out of monster with all the carry over. When I first read the card I figured it was one of the smaller tokens.

CDPR pls

also, reinforced ballista am cry

EDIT: i love gimmicky shit

qoMCCwR.jpg

My amazon updated with a final release for the art book for early September. Get that pre order in if it's still available!

Gwent art book? Doubting it releases in Canada.

My reveal deck is destroyed by the recent changes. I cant tell why, because the changes seem to buff the deck. Except that boost card that got totally nerfed.

I am struggling to keep up as I get eviscerated by everything. Thinking everyone else just got too good

Time to explore some new decks

Naar

It's to make it more interesting, if you feel best with discard skellige, and your opponent has a nilfgaard deck, you'll ban nilfgaard just in case it's a mill deck. It's to make your own chances of winning better really.

The way CDPR did it at their tournaments so far has been players bring 4 decks, all from different factions, and each player gets to ban one faction. First player to win with all 3 decks wins. It's a fun system. But it takes a bit longer so maybe for a GAF tournament we should just do best of 3.

I understand about making it interesting but what if you are legit good with a certain faction or leader than others?

Also before if you mulligan a revealed card and then get it back later it won't be revealed. Now it will always be revealed. That was one of my favorite things to do with mulligan :/

Also can someone explain how an elv war dancer gets boosted to 5 at the very start of the game? Happened twice now and don't know how my oppenent did it

No other cards were played and before round 1 even started

Wagram

Seems the new shitter tier thing to do is spam Scoia and force D/C when you have a chance at losing.

Fucking trash man. The pre-patch streamer shit is killing this game in fun factor.

I understand about making it interesting but what if you are legit good with a certain faction or leader than others?

Also before if you mulligan a revealed card and then get it back later it won't be revealed. Now it will always be revealed. That was one of my favorite things to do with mulligan :/

Also can someone explain how an elv war dancer gets boosted to 5 at the very start of the game? Happened twice now and don't know how my oppenent did it

No other cards were played and before round 1 even started

Vanguard buffs all elves on board when mulliganed, so your opponent probably mulliganed wardancer, then vanguard.

The multiple faction idea is really just to make sure the tourney isn't just the same match up over and over. Take last patch as an example: maybe you're a really good Monster's player, but when Dagon is widely accepted as the best leader way too many of ranked matches were Dagon mirrors. Would you want a tourney like that?

Naar

Vanguard buffs all elves on board when mulliganed, so your opponent probably mulliganed warrantee, then vanguard.

The multiple faction idea is really just to make sure the tourney isn't just the same match up over and over. Take last patch as an example: maybe you're a really good Monster's player, but when Dagon is widely accepted as the best leader way too many of ranked matches were Dagon mirrors. Would you want a tourney like that?

Yea i know vanguard buffs but the unit has to be on the board to get buffed. This came boosted from the hand. They were mulliganed buffed which was weird

And yea I do realize what you say about tournaments, but I still feel like a player who is good at a certain deck gets punished for not being good at other decks

Sorian

Banned
Yea i know vanguard buffs but the unit has to be on the board to get buffed. This came boosted from the hand. They were mulliganed buffed which was weird

And yea I do realize what you say about tournaments, but I still feel like a player who is good at a certain deck gets punished for not being good at other decks

That's the point, you should be good at multiple facets of the game to win tournaments.

Went 12-0 to start the season. Got my first loss against a Queensguard deck. Northern Realms never did have a good answer to those decks.

Zakalwe

Banned
I love the new changes, but this UD feels incredibly imba.

I know we're waiting for the dust to settle, but messing around with all the new cards and without some tweaks to the stats I don't see how certain archetypes are supposed to compete.

Right now I can't 'seem to find a way to make NF work at all, Realms and Elves can just swarm with medium to large bodies. Elves with their constant board wide +1s and NR with too much armour to chip at.

Went 12-0 to start the season. Got my first loss against a Queensguard deck. Northern Realms never did have a good answer to those decks.

The current NR decks crap all over anything SK can output beyond the new self-damage build. QG are in a pretty bad place.

I'm out till next patch again. CDPR did a shit job balancing this patch. Very off for them.

Should be a hotfix balance patch coming soon, they delayed the Pro Season start for it:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/news/7...e-important-message-from-the-development-team

I started playing Crokeyz's mill deck. I think it's the deck I've caused the most salt in my opponents yet. Last opponent literally went afk with 8 cards left to play (although to be fair by that point in time I definitely had a vice like grip on winning the game) I've also had 2-3 folks just insta-rage quit after mulligan.

Sorian

Banned
Should be a hotfix balance patch coming soon, they delayed the Pro Season start for it:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/news/7...e-important-message-from-the-development-team

I started playing Crokeyz's mill deck. I think it's the deck I've caused the most salt in my opponents yet. Last opponent literally went afk with 8 cards left to play (although to be fair by that point in time I definitely had a vice like grip on winning the game) I've also had 2-3 folks just insta-rage quit after mulligan.

Tried it myself, went like 1-3, memeshit

lol

I will admit I did keep running into people who seemed to purposely be teching against it, 28 card skelliege decks but still.

So, some of these gold cards are supremely vulnerable to many bronze cards.

The assassin card in Nilfgaard (bronze) can destroy gold cards like Yennefer instantly.

I feel like some gold cards need timer based immunity or something.

JustinBB7

On the way to rank 14 now, not going perfectly well but at least still positive winrates every day. Went 6-4-1 today. Faced 3 skellige in a row and even with 2 locks and compression they still beat me. Kinda misplayed on my part but that was frustrating. I love swimming in the rewards though CDPR is too generous. Daily rewards + Level up rewards + Rank up rewards + End season rewards + Bonus mill value sometimes.

d9b

Banned
On the way to rank 14 now, not going perfectly well but at least still positive winrates every day. Went 6-4-1 today. Faced 3 skellige in a row and even with 2 locks and compression they still beat me. Kinda misplayed on my part but that was frustrating. I love swimming in the rewards though CDPR is too generous. Daily rewards + Level up rewards + Rank up rewards + End season rewards + Bonus mill value sometimes.
Everyone I play with today is ranked Master.

Q: When does this season ends?

Sorian

Banned
Those titles are from last season/closed beta though for 99% of the players you face.

Season should end in 2 months.

100%, master is rank 20 isnt it? No one has hit that this season yet.

In other news, I take back the memeshit comment about mill nilfgaard. Added the dude that removes bronzes from the opponent's deck and it goes so much better now. Hit rank 17.

Zakalwe

Banned
Continuing my journey toward the PRO LEAGUE...

I've hit 16. I ran most of that way using the Elf mulligan hotness, but tech'd against the Elf mulligan hotness.

I removed Zoltan and replaced him with Eskel to clear Blue Mountain Commandos, and added Sheldon Skaggs to make up for the movement tech bonus.

I have three V Brigade's so I can still move enemies into Igni's path/line up Merigold, etc... Seems to be far more consistent.

Aside from rolling in the dirt I've tried:

NG Mill - works against Mulligan really well.... if you draw well. The deck gets utterly destroyed by NR and loses to favoured matchups often simply because it's so reliant on specific draws.

Very fun deck to win with, but far too inconsistent.

Monster Consume - Nekker/Warrior/Cyclops grenade launcher. Really fun if you can copy all your Nekkers and consume to the point they become nukes for the Cyclops' ability, but if cards don't align there's no kind of secondary win condition. you either have the cards to lay ruin, or you just peter out...

I've also tried monster weather, SK discard, and Elf spells (Tremors).

Nothing even comes close to Mulligan for consistent output.

NR is the only faction I don't own key cards for, the new armour swarm is pretty powerful versus elves and pretty much everything else as it becomes very quickly impossible to deal significant damage and you end up trying to chip the armour down to prevent future buffs but failing to close/increase the life gap.

Maybe I'm not seeing it, but has anyone found a decent counter to the current meta yet?

So, some of these gold cards are supremely vulnerable to many bronze cards.

The assassin card in Nilfgaard (bronze) can destroy gold cards like Yennefer instantly.

I feel like some gold cards need timer based immunity or something.

Right... Yenn, Triss, VIGNEOTROGODHSHdhkhdshdndshhdsk, not touching them with anyone's deck creator until they're re-balanced for the change.

JustinBB7

Went 8-2 today! 9347 on the leaderboard now heading towards rank 16. Nilfgaard spies is so fun wow.

Also had a guy play Iris on me, I used my own infiltrator to undo the spy tag. Then he Peter'd it... and forfeited. Made me lol.

Posting it here too because it's so amazing: 10 year Witcher thank you video, features Gwent as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgqz8Je7P0s

Top Bottom