• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H. Jon Benjamin releases his debut album: "Well, I Should Have*"

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMax

*learned how to play piano.

9EPYAgD.gif

jonbenjamin-wellishouldhave-cover-900x900-300.jpg

Jon Benjamin is a comedian, actor, & aspiring Jazz pianist recognized by many for his buttery vocal chords which have given depth and purpose to such characters as Bob from Bob’s Burgers, Archer from Archer, and Coach McGuirk from Home Movies. He’s also been seen gracing the sets of the national comedy treasures that are Master of None & Wet Hot American Summer. The following is a couple words from Jon Benjamin on his recent foray into the music industry:

We all start from the same place and build from there, gathering references, structures, techniques, modes, nuances, etc. and, as artists, we strive to build some- thing purposeful. Well, I Should Have…* is the culmination of hours (almost 3) of conception with the goal to bring something, in the tradition of the great vanguard jazz artists like Miles Davis, Roach, Mingus, Monk, et al, close to pure spontaneity. Jazz is the ocean…I am just one wave forming one curl, crashing once onto some remote beach somewhere in time. And that wave makes a small imperceptible change in the slope of the sand, upon which at some point in time a baby turtle will walk across, leaving his trail for just an instant, before the tide washes it clean. That’s a pretty cool analogy. More to the point, I do not play piano and I made this jazz album. Some tell me, “Hey, Jon, tone it down.” Some even say, “Really, Jon?” A few have said, “Get the fuck away from me or I’ll fucking punch you in the face.” I know the risks in making this album. I know what it is like to do something that no one else would think to do. Most would call this reckless. I call it jazz. What you are about to experience is an aural auto da fe. I am the jazz daredevil.

– Jon, New York City, July 2015

Well, I Should Have…* was recorded and mixed by Mark Desimone at Soundtrack NY, except for “Amy’s Song (The Bum Steer)”, which was mixed by Loren Bouchard (Bob’s Burgers, Home Movies). Jon is accompanied by Scott Kreitzer (saxophone), David Finck (bass), and Jonathan Peretz (drums). “Deal With the Devil” features Aziz Ansari and Kristen Schaal

You can watch the documentary here and you can purchase the album here. Or, you can listen for free on Apple Music (phew).

I never thought someone just playing really poorly in the middle of an otherwise decent jazz band could be so funny, but goddamn this is good stuff.

Makki

Lmao that documentary... I was taking it serioulsy the whole time thinking, no... this man voices Archer but it is possible he leads a normal life and wants other things in life..., and then he says the most Archer most funniest thing ever 2 minutes 30 seconds in.

GrizzNKev

Banned
As someone who spent about 7 years playing piano in jazz bands, this is fucking great.

That look he has on his face just before he starts playing, eyes darting back and forth between the sheet music and the keys... pure gold. I'm sorry if you can't relate.

Shaneus

I think this would be funnier if the music was accidentally good. I can't get over how bad it sounds to appreciate the humor in this. :(
The humour is in that he isn't, though. It's somewhat absurdist, I guess... with the absurdity being that he rounded up all these amazing jazz musicians, wrangled a record deal but can't actually play for shit. It's like the UK version of The Office. There's no punchline, it's just this thing that's funny by virtue of it being weird and outrageous.

That look he has on his face just before he starts playing, eyes darting back and forth between the sheet music and the keys... pure gold. I'm sorry if you can't relate.
Trust me, I cannot relate at all but I still think it's hilarious in it's absurdity. I hope there's more than just the four minutes of video that comes out.

And for me, it's the bit at around 2:20 when he starts playing that kills me.

iMax

Trust me, I cannot relate at all but I still think it's hilarious in it's absurdity. I hope there's more than just the four minutes of video that comes out.

And for me, it's the bit at around 2:20 when he starts playing that kills me.

Please listen to the entire album. It's absolutely incredible.

The humour is in that he isn't, though. It's somewhat absurdist, I guess... with the absurdity being that he rounded up all these amazing jazz musicians, wrangled a record deal but can't actually play for shit. It's like the UK version of The Office. There's no punchline, it's just this thing that's funny by virtue of it being weird and outrageous.

Yeah, I get that. I was giggling at the video up until he actually started playing, and I normally love Jon's stuff. So I'm glad he's doing this, and I'm glad other people are able to enjoy it. It's just not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom