• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halloween Demo for The Evil Within

-MD-

I saw that, just wasn't sure if it'd be part of the demo. Excellent, thanks. :)

Ah I actually don't know if it's part of the demo or not I was just assuming it would be since the base game had it. Maybe someone that installs it can confirm.

I'm interested in this game, but some of the stuff I've heard has me concerned about how it will run on my machine, so I appreciate having the chance to check it out before buying.

Liamc723

It's pretty unfair if they don't offer the discount on the PS4/Xbox One, I'd love that 50% discount on the season pass.

I know this is PC only but reading the thead title made me think of how many demos we got last gen compared to now.
A result of this is me buying less games. I would like to try Alien Isolation and Evil Within and Sunser Overdrive..Id rather see how they play instead of watching or hearing someone talk about it.

Euron

Awesome, I wanted to try this game out. Downloading it right now.

Edit: Ah crap I can't run it. But then again I tried playing it on my new laptop so it's not unexpected at all.

gelf

More of this kind of thing please! The hefty system requirements put me off the game so with this I can finally know for sure if my system will run it well enough.

Teknoman

I know this is PC only but reading the thead title made me think of how many demos we got last gen compared to now.
A result of this is me buying less games. I would like to try Alien Isolation and Evil Within and Sunser Overdrive..Id rather see how they play instead of watching or hearing someone talk about it.

Well with PS4 at least shareplay is a thing now. Actually, shareplay of some sort should be a thing universally. Its a great way to get people into games, especially if they have friends and family that are day one folks.

Kinyou

Does this mean from now until forever? Or is this just a halloween promo?

Edit: Just saw it on steam. Looks like it's a normal demo, so no limit.

Isn't the pc version of call of cthulu fucked up

I remember a game ending bug when I played it and don't think that ever was fixed

Excited to play this though!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Defo gonna download the demo. Nice of Beth/Mikami for doing that.

RedSwirl

I hope to God you don't have to download all 50GB of the game just to try out the free part.

Edit:

The demo is 10GB... o_O

Okay, thanks.

I actually already tried chapters 1-3 (or some of 3) on a PS3 rental but at least I can benchmark this game and see whether or not i'll completely destroy my 760 2GB.

Anybody that had the game already get their copy of Call yet? Restarted Steam and still don't see anything. I bought my copy off GMG so I hope that doesn't impact anything.

Neiteio

Hmm, played halfway through Chapter 1. I -really- like this game so far. Computer specs are GeForce GTX 560M(2GB), 8GB RAM, i7, Windows 7, 64-bit, etc. It was serviceable with everything on high except for framerate, which was 30 fps. I then set shadow quality to Low, disabled anti-aliasing, disabled motion blur, turned off the grain filter (don't really notice a difference), and it doesn't look much worse, but only seems marginally faster -- it's still ~25-27 fps, rather than a solid 30 (just eye-balling it here).

That being said... I still liked playing it. But I am somewhat tempted to get a PS4, just for this game. Kind of hard to justify a $460 purchase for one game, though. :-\

How's the performance on PS4?

Gator86

I think the first 3 chapters are some of the strongest in the game, 3 is the perfect chapter to let people know if the game is for them or not.

I would agree with this to some extent. The first three chapters are 3 of the stronger ones which is good. Unfortunately, I thought 3 was the best chapter in the entire game so the actual game is worse than the demo which is not great for people considering a purchase expecting a full game of chapter 3.

abracadaver

Got a -66% coupon for wolfenstein/skyrim legendary/dishonored goty today and wondered why. Now I know

Haven't noticed a chulthu game being added. In fact I have no idea what kind of game it even is

Verger

Banned
I love the game. I tried to rank the Chapters but that was waaay too hard. I'll try to divide it up into categories

Loved
4, 5, 6, 7, 9 (I didn't get the "cheap" issue), 13, 14

Average
1, 3, 10, 12, 15

Not a fan
2, 8, 11 (I enjoyed the scenery though)

Alfredo

Seems like both a good and bad demo.

Chapter 3 is the best part of the game.

The later chapters are nothing like it, so if someone buys the game expecting more like the early chapters in the demo, they may be very disappointed.

Edit: I also hope 50% off the Season Pass comes to consoles...that'd be nice.

danwarb

I'm surprised how well it runs on an r270 with everything on/high. Much better than console, and no black borders. 60fps is better, but there's frame skipping.

Randomizer

Just finished playing through it. It was pretty good, chapter three in particular was fantastic. Performance was all over the place initially till I toned down the shadows, AA and turned off SSAO but my HD6950 is showing it's age with new games. Once sorted was getting 45-55Fps with stuttering when loading new areas.

Was going to buy this anyway just been too busy recently with school work. Excellent demo wish more companies offered demos like this. I think the intention is to get people to try it out, get invested and want more. I know I certainly did.

I hope to God you don't have to download all 50GB of the game just to try out the free part.

Edit:

Okay, thanks.

I actually already tried chapters 1-3 (or some of 3) on a PS3 rental but at least I can benchmark this game and see whether or not i'll completely destroy my 760 2GB.

The game doesn't destroy any graphics cards. The question is whether your CPU performs well.

The Flash

Banned
I'll try it. I hate horror media but I'll force myself to play this.

Edit: Actually I won't because my rig doesn't have enough junk in the trunk.

drotahorror

How do I get Call of Cthulu? It's not in my library. I restarted Steam, yes I own TEW.

***Looks like it's only for people that bought directly from Steam.

Wow, great news all around. Eager to give the demo a try and it's awesome that those of you who already purchased are getting Call of Cthulhu. One of my favorites from last gen.

Haunted

Chapter 3 is one of the game's highlights, highly reminiscent of the village in RE4's intro and a good ending point for a demo.

Mugatu

This is great - I was going to skip this game all together but at least now I can try it out, if I like it then I can by it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Pretty cool but honestly. for PC games if you're not gonna release a demo you should at least release a bench mark demo like the ones that came with DMC4 and RE5 / RE6.

People not knowing how well a game will run on their system is pretty much gonna kill any chances of them dropping 60 day 1...or even month 1.

MDSLKTR

Yup night and day difference with the ps4 version thanks to the new pc centric options, now to wait for a digital sale...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
chapter 3 is where the game "clicked" for me and where it becomes the "real game" so to say, so this is pretty good.

its also one of the best chapters

Top Bottom