• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halloween Demo for The Evil Within

glow

Banned
Wow, what the hell... I can't even run this game at a steady 30fps on the absolute lowest settings and I have a GTX770 2GB, 16GB RAM, and an i5-4670k. Tried letterbox and full, nothing helped. Turned off all AA. The only thing I haven't tried is lowering the res from 1080p... something that I don't think I should have to do with my rig. I played Far Cry 3 at 1440p max settings at almost a constant 60fps with this setup. This shouldn't be happening. I can't believe they would release such a mess, glad they released a demo so now I know I won't ever buy this. Unbelievable.

pastrami

Getting a lot of frame rate fluctuations with an i5-4690k and a 970, so I had to lock the game at 30fps. Pretty disappointing performance considering how the game looks. It's definitely not a looker.

Not feeling the game either. I've only dabbled in it, and died when I'm supposed to sneak past the guy with the chainsaw. Camera seems pretty wonky. I'll play it again tomorrow to see what chapter 3 is all about.

robgrab

Glad they released a demo before I bought this because it runs like crap on my two year old custom built gaming rig. Enabling letterbox mode increases the frame rate slightly but I still can't even maintain a solid 30fps. The other problem is I have a 21:9 (2560x1080) widescreen monitor and rather than filling the screen it crops the top, bottom AND the sides! It's like playing in windowed mode. I played through the first two and a half chapters and while it was kinda fun I won't be buying this until my next upgrade cycle. By then I'll be able to play it maxed out at 4K and the game itself will be $4.99 on a Steam sale.

Just beat chapter one. Pretty creepy game. It froze on the bethesda logo when starting, but still heard the music. Just let it wait and it will work. It did for me at least. Solid 30 FPS on a 750 Ti, 8 gb ram.

gelf

How much are these early chapters an indication of the overall framerate? I don't know exactly what mine has been but so far its well within my tolerance level. Do later chapters stress it more? If not I feel safer getting this for PC now.

Pretty cool but honestly. for PC games if you're not gonna release a demo you should at least release a bench mark demo like the ones that came with DMC4 and RE5 / RE6.

People not knowing how well a game will run on their system is pretty much gonna kill any chances of them dropping 60 day 1...or even month 1.

Yeah I agree, a benchmark demo is a MUST for every demanding PC AAA game. Shadow of Mordor for example could have easily the benchmark mode as external download... such a waste, I won't buy it because of that.

Had to run it at 800x600 to get a decent framerate on my laptop (ati mobility radeon 5650) so lol thanks free demo, no need to buy it because it runs like shit. And console versions run at sub-30 anyway, so only time I'd give this a go would be if I got a better laptop.

Played the first chapter and was not impressed.

Graphics actually looked great though. Turned off letterbox, maxed out everything else, and unlocked the FPS - was probably averaging 45 but it was really anywhere between 30-60 at all times. Really messy performance.

MDSLKTR

Running it unlocked on gtx 760 is more than enough for me, of course I can't keep the framerate steady but it doesn't bother me as much with a controller and the slow pace. It's playable and vastly superior to the console versions, all I needed.
Well, that's a bad idea because chapters 1 & 2 are the worst thing about the game. It only starts to pick up in chapter 3.
They're good introductory chapters, if I want to show off the game to people I will start with those instead of the 3rd (which I did), claws of the horde is pure meaty gameplay.

Sophia

Played the first chapter and was not impressed.

Graphics actually looked great though. Turned off letterbox, maxed out everything else, and unlocked the FPS - was probably averaging 45 but it was really anywhere between 30-60 at all times. Really messy performance.

Chapter 1 is downright awful and no way a representation of the game. I won't say the game magically improves to be amazing or anything, but at least give Chapters 2 and 3 a try. They're much better from a gameplay perspective.

gelf

Yeah I agree, a benchmark demo is a MUST for every demanding PC AAA game. Shadow of Mordor for example could have easily the benchmark mode as external download... such a waste, I won't buy it because of that.
Indeed when your on a borderline system you need to know these things. There is not a chance in hell I'm paying close to full price for a game I don't know for sure I can run properly. I end up waiting and picking them up much later on a heavy discount(if I pick it up at all).

99% of the time it turns out I would have been fine buying at launch but without a way to know this I won't risk it.

This Evil Within demo has gone some way to convince me to buy it at a high price.

Play the third chapter before you make up your mind.
Chapter 1 is downright awful and no way a representation of the game. I won't say the game magically improves to be amazing or anything, but at least give Chapters 2 and 3 a try. They're much better from a gameplay perspective.
Oh I was planning on finishing up the demo! Didn't mean to imply I was done after the first chapter lol. I like to give all games a fair shot.

Curufinwe

I look forward to playing TEW when I get a new PC a few years from now.

Not going near the PS4 version unless it's patched up to a solid 30 fps.

Beat the game on PS3, but downloaded the demo to see how it runs on my PC. Well, it run like shit :( I think my main problem is the RAM. I have a FX 6300, 4GB RAM, and a R9 270 2GB.

feel

Really enjoyed this demo from chapter 2 onwards, has a very nice oldschool horror atmosphere and visuals, and fun gameplay. Tried playing with black bars for the heck of it and it's laughably uncomfortable, can't believe that's how they make you play on consoles. Getting normally around 45-60fps with some occasional dips to near 35 (almost everything maxed out) on my 2 year old rig, not great but it's playable, shitty performance kinda adds to the oppressive atmosphere if that makes sense lol, maybe it's the nostalgia of playing these kind of games as slideshows on consoles back in the day before I jumped to pc. Will definitely buy once it's much cheaper, would buy right now if it was better optimized, but like this, no, sorry.

danwarb

Beat the game on PS3, but downloaded the demo to see how it runs on my PC. Well, it run like shit :( I think my main problem is the RAM. I have a FX 6300, 4GB RAM, and a R9 270 2GB.

More likely the CPU. The game doesn't really push more than 1 core, which with an i5 or better is enough to beat the consoles, but not for a smooth 60fps.

The demo chapters stay above 30 at 1080p, everything high and no borders on a 4670k and cheapy R270 oc.

How much are these early chapters an indication of the overall framerate? I don't know exactly what mine has been but so far its well within my tolerance level. Do later chapters stress it more? If not I feel safer getting this for PC now.

My frame rate seemed lower in the first opening sections of the first chapter.
After that, it seemed to level out, I'm guessing somewhere around 45.

Definitely looked worse locked at 30.

Anyway, it's a solid horror game. I watched my brother stream it from his PS4 and just finished playing the PC demo.

It's a shame the extra content is locked behind a pay wall.

-MD-

I much prefer the locked 30 over unlocked, frames bounce around too much.

That's on a DS4 though.

Bydobob

Same here!

Got a tiny bit further than you guys, but doesn't bode well!

Fmtey9F.jpg

gelf

Knocking the res down to 900p let me play a bit longer without crashing at the section it was consistently failing at but then it just crashed at a later point. I'm fine with the performance in terms of framerate when its working but the constant crashing is a deal breaker unfortunately.

Think I'll just leave it and wait for patches or go with with a console version eventually. Either way I can't see myself playing it for months now, which is a shame as I like what I see so far.

Bydobob

Well once I finally got started it didn't crash once. However the game is extremely buggy. Got to the end where
you have to defeat the chainsaw guy but he disappeared on me and could never find him again
. No sound to give away his position either. Earlier I got stuck looking out of a window, had to google search a way out and found that it's a common bug (press C a few times). On other occasions I activated syringes that didn't relate to my numerical key bindings and had an inventory that showed up items I had yet to collect, including a machine gun! None of that is to mention the annoying clipping through doors which was a real throwback to the past.

That said, I did have fun. Contrary to general opinion I found Chapter 1 and 2 much more interesting than Chapter 3, which just feels like a recycled RE4. I'll be happy if the game returns to the more psychological scares of the opening two chapters, which in many ways felt like an entirely different game.

Performance-wise I was ranging between 48 and 72fps on the pictured settings, mostly around 60. Fire contributed to the biggest performance drops, but it was nothing too drastic. Having a 144Hz monitor is definitely an advantage here. The issue I do have is with the mouse smoothing, it doesn't appear to have any which makes movement feel jerky even on very low sensitivity. Camera is also too close to the player, I must've played most of the game leaning back in my chair.

In all then I'm not quite sold. Game is a bit rough and inconsistent to justify full price but I'll probably pick it up in a future sale.

EctoPrime

Played through chapter 1 and part of 2 and so far it swings from 20-30 fps at 1080.

i5 750
750 Ti
motion blur off
set to fullscreen (letterbox disabled)
AA off

all other settings default.

*Completed the demo and the fps average 24fps with the above settings.
1080 letterboxed 25-30.
720 fullscreen 27-30 (mostly at 30)

Kinyou

Wow, what the hell... I can't even run this game at a steady 30fps on the absolute lowest settings and I have a GTX770 2GB, 16GB RAM, and an i5-4670k. Tried letterbox and full, nothing helped. Turned off all AA. The only thing I haven't tried is lowering the res from 1080p... something that I don't think I should have to do with my rig. I played Far Cry 3 at 1440p max settings at almost a constant 60fps with this setup. This shouldn't be happening. I can't believe they would release such a mess, glad they released a demo so now I know I won't ever buy this. Unbelievable.
Do you perhaps have integrated Intel graphics? On my rig it made the error of rendering the game with Intel instead of my Nvidia card.

dmix90

We are getting PC exclusive demos from Japanese developers now? Whats going on? I love it <3
Its unfortunate that worst 3 chapters of a game are in this demo :p

Jacqli

I tried the demo to see how the game looked without movie bars and 1080p and it improves a lot, but I have a problem: tearing. When I mark the option of 60 FPS instead of 30 FPS, it is like a tearing festival, even worse than RE5 on 360. And while I do not have any kind of problems if I play with the 30 FPS option and without movie bars, it's a pity that I have to use that one instead of 60 FPS when, I think, my pc can handle it.

And the game on pc also shares the same issue as its version on 360 (or at least in the cinematics): the textures take a little time in loading. It is not really a big deal, but I thought it was only a last gen thing.

More likely the CPU. The game doesn't really push more than 1 core, which with an i5 or better is enough to beat the consoles, but not for a smooth 60fps.

The demo chapters stay above 30 at 1080p, everything high and no borders on a 4670k and cheapy R270 oc.

I even tried it at 720p and 30fps. I got huge stutters which made it unplayable. When I exited the game it also kept on loading to get back to the desktop, which didn't fully load correctly. I think I had to restart my PC.

Randam

tried starting the steam demo.

something with the resolution ist off. everything is way to big. can only see half of the logos in the beginning. same at the start menu.
can start a game, but still everything way to big.

and if I try to skip the logo stuff, it crashes.

Top Bottom