• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 coming to iOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 4chan rumor that was quoted included a statement saying the Reclaimer Trilogy will be released on PC via Steam. Reclaimer Trilogy is the one Halo 4 started so assuming the trilogy news isn't a misquote, I'm just speculating on what it would mean to be able to play all the halos on PC and never own an XBox again. This all depends on the anon on 4chan's reliability so there is that I grant you.

That was a mistake, he meant the original trilogy.

Grief.exe

The 4chan rumor that was quoted included a statement saying the Reclaimer Trilogy will be released on PC via Steam. Reclaimer Trilogy is the one Halo 4 started so assuming the trilogy news isn't a misquote, I'm just speculating on what it would mean to be able to play all the halos on PC and never own an XBox again. This all depends on the anon on 4chan's reliability so there is that I grant you.

He did say later in the thread that it was a mistake to refer to it as the Reclaimer Trilogy. He was just referring to the first 3 Halo games and the possibility of ODST as well.

Likely, there isn't much credibility here. He was just examining publicly available evidence and doctored up that post.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'll admit I didn't read all 3 pages of the thread, but nobody thinks that the "343 <3 'Apple Logo'" (aka 343 loves Apple) part is weird?

Nobody would do that in their right mind, specially people that work at Microsoft.

Grief.exe

I'll admit I didn't read all 3 pages of the thread, but nobody thinks that the "343 <3 'Apple Logo'" (aka 343 loves Apple) part is weird?

Nobody would do that in their right mind, specially people that work at Microsoft.

iOS/MAC release seems to go opposite of their current strategy as well.

so Windows Phone gets a mobile game

iOS gets a full game

lol MS

Windows Phone (and Windows 8) gets a brand new Halo game.

iOS gets a 10 year old Halo game.

lol MS indeed....

jennifer-lawrence-ok-i9qcj.gif

Did we ever get a fix - official or fan - for Halo 2 on Windows 7? I recall a lot of temporary work-arounds. This news puts me in the mood to install the bastard, but I don't want to bugger about to do so.

It just seems strange that you wouldn't truly be involved with the community.

Sure you would post in the thread, but you wouldn't be experiencing the game, having a laugh in Mumble with the GAF crew, or understand the particular requirements or intricacies that come along with PC ports.

When the inevitable Halo 5 release on Xbox One, could we have assurances that you would still be involved in the PC thread? Would you still post and make updates? Rational behavior would dictate the majority of your time would be spent in that particular OT.

If we decide to have a special Halo theme night or host a GAF server, would we have to PM you in order to add it to the OP?

I would like to do the OT, but I would have no issue conceding the thread to someone else. But it would be nice to know that certain things are taken care of appropriately for the benefit of the community.

I think you should do it Grief. You have put work into keeping everyone updated with the newest information for a possible Halo Steam release.

Dax, I realize you're a huge Halo fan but you're not involved in the Steam/PC community threads whereas Grief is. You should just be cool with him doing it.

Not sure if this has been posted but today Microsoft partnered with a Japanese firm to bring their games over to iOS later this year.

Grief.exe

This seems to be the canned PR response Microsoft has had

04I8MSt.png

"We currently do not have plans" is an interesting choice of words to say the least. Could mean that they have plans tomorrow.

It does give me hope that they keep using those specific words.

Not sure if this has been posted but today Microsoft partnered with a Japanese firm to bring their games over to iOS later this year.

I don't think it has been.

This wouldn't surprise me.

MS released Wordament on iOS last year and it has Xbox Live Achievements. A Halo port on iOS would certainly do the same I imagine. Perhaps the same would go for Mac ports of the Halo games? It would be awesome in my opinion. (I use Macs).

I would love to play Halo 2 PC again. The community is pretty much dead last I checked. Cross Platform multiplayer would be amazing (PC/Mac) but seriously doubt that would happen.

Grief.exe

This wouldn't surprise me.

MS released Wordament on iOS last year and it has Xbox Live Achievements. A Halo port on iOS would certainly do the same I imagine. Perhaps the same would go for Mac ports of the Halo games? It would be awesome in my opinion. (I use Macs).

I would love to play Halo 2 PC again. The community is pretty much dead last I checked. Cross Platform multiplayer would be amazing (PC/Mac) but seriously doubt that would happen.

Most likely dead because its not available on DD and shackled with DRM.

A Steam release would breathe new life into the community

Bleh, I want Halo 2 anniversary instead of Halo games on a platform I don't care about.

Quality response...

Shadders

I believe she's telling the truth too. bsangel is usually very good at responding to questions; just so long as there is an answer she can give. No response might mean there's something in it, but an outright denial would lead me to think this is bunk. There have been things I've asked her to confirm in the past and she just hasn't responded, which have later turned out to be true.

ElRenoRaven

Definitely! Hope its true.

To this day I'm still angry with MS about how they treated Halo 2 on the PC. Halo still to this day has plenty of life and Halo 2 could have had they not shit on it by shackling it with both Windows Vista and Xbox live. That right there along with their insane lock down on the editing tools for the game killed any chance of a real community. I truly do think that if you saw a steam release that supported more then just Vista you'd find the community start to thrive. Then if they were to release Halo 3 on Steam that would jump start the community again. It's always floored me how MS has left so much money on the table when it comes to PC gaming with their franchises they own including Halo. If they would embrace services like Steam, Origin, etc and actually start releasing games on both Xbox console and PC you'd find they'd make a lot more money I think then just forcing everyone to buy their console because let's be honest consoles really are going away. It's just very slowly happening.

Course that said I'll support console gaming till it becomes insanely anti consumer or does die away.

Grief.exe

I believe she's telling the truth too. bsangel is usually very good at responding to questions; just so long as there is an answer she can give. No response might mean there's something in it, but an outright denial would lead me to think this is bunk. There have been things I've asked her to confirm in the past and she just hasn't responded, which have later turned out to be true.

Earlier in the thread it was said that bsangel gives inaccurate information a few times.

Her answer has definitely changed over the weekend.

Going from no release, to no current plans, is a huge difference. Especially for someone in PR.

To this day I'm still angry with MS about how they treated Halo 2 on the PC. Halo still to this day has plenty of life and Halo 2 could have had they not shit on it by shackling it with both Windows Vista and Xbox live. That right there along with their insane lock down on the editing tools for the game killed any chance of a real community. I truly do think that if you saw a steam release that supported more then just Vista you'd find the community start to thrive. Then if they were to release Halo 3 on Steam that would jump start the community again. It's always floored me how MS has left so much money on the table when it comes to PC gaming with their franchises they own including Halo. If they would embrace services like Steam, Origin, etc and actually start releasing games on both Xbox console and PC you'd find they'd make a lot more money I think then just forcing everyone to buy their console because let's be honest consoles really are going away. It's just very slowly happening.

Course that said I'll support console gaming till it becomes insanely anti consumer or does die away.

And they blame the consumers for the Gears of War and Halo 2 releases.

Not for being riddled with DRM, poor ports (at least in Halo 2's case with the m/kb control), and charging for Live.

Microsoft didn't have anything to do with the PC release of Alan Wake besides allowing Remedy to make a PC version.

This is accurate and why they can't be compared.

Back when the Halo 3 on Steam rumors first emerged I heard from someone (edit: not on this forum) who has been right at least a couple of times before, that it's not a rumor but a fact, but I've lost hope/faith by now.

AlStrong

Always kind of hoped that they would do a remake of the trilogy from the perspective of Cortana (as a bridge to Halo 4). The Halo Legends Origin gave me that idea. i.e. why not have her contemplate things, reviewing the events of H1-3?

In that sense, it is established that there are bound to be inaccuracies in her recollection, and that would give 343i freedom to update the trilogy (i.e. different looking everything), armour abilities (e.g. sprinting >_>)... things like that. Experiment. Get feedback, make Halo 4 better. *cough*

Heck, they could have cortana say a few different things in co-op as she hallucinates multiple chiefs. :p

Guess that'd be quite the undertaking, but I was thinking it'd be a condensed version of the 3 games based off of what she was present to record & whatever John had reported (or maybe introduce the idea that she can snoop his brain for memories. e.g. skip arbiter play, but have her fill in the blanks.

Basically a trilogy re-imagination through the eyes of Cortana. Halo: Cortana Chronicles or something.

Crazy idea, I know.

Shadders

In order to demonstrate my earlier point (quoted), I asked if they have plans to bring Halo 4 to Xbox One (imo much more likely than bringing Halo 2 to iOS):

GueFYbx.png

A markedly different response to the one Over got, don't you think?

Grief.exe

In order to demonstrate my earlier point (quoted), I asked if they have plans to bring Halo 4 to Xbox One (imo much more likely than bringing Halo 2 to iOS):

GueFYbx.png

A markedly different response to the one Over got, don't you think?

It also is a markedly different question. 343 is guaranteed to be developing games for the One.

Some side points here for the sake of clarification.

It is very likely that they wouldn't be involved in anything on the PC or iOS side. If those versions do exist, they have been contracted out to another developer.

There is also considerably more evidence pointing towards a PC/Steam release than iOS.

Just one question regarding Halo 2 on PC

Servers are shut down or...? MP, and Live section of the main menu is gray... Can't click it, can't do nothing, but I'm connected to my GFWL/XB account....

Also, my key says "invalid" on activation but it accepts it in the game... Weird.

Grief.exe

Just one question regarding Halo 2 on PC

Servers are shut down or...? MP, and Live section of the main menu is gray... Can't click it, can't do nothing, but I'm connected to my GFWL/XB account....

Also, my key says "invalid" on activation but it accepts it in the game... Weird.

It might be because GFWL is having issues. The entire service has been struggling as of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom