• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 PC Multiplayer Support Extended, Steam Rumors Confirmed?

water1111

Banned
Oops I mean X men Origins Wolverine. It'd be nice if all three were somehow, there are no Marvel games on Steam, it's kind of strange. Maybe it's up to activision and they don't have the license anymore?

I didn't have GFWL either, the reason these aren't on steam or any other DD is due to licensing.

Jtrizzy

I didn't have GFWL either, the reason these aren't on steam or any other DD is due to licensing.

icw6CQlgpp6cD.png

Is this just "games for windows"? I didn't realize there was a difference between the two.

FyreWulff

Yup, it does seem to point that way.

According to Ellis it was Jessica Shea (BSAngel) that pushed for this extension.

If it was a Steam release incoming, I would think the reprieve would have come from higher up in the administration chain and she wouldn't have had to push for it so hard.

SparkTR

icw6CQlgpp6cD.png

Is this just "games for windows"? I didn't realize there was a difference between the two.

Dishonored is 'Games for Windows' and it's a Steamworks title. I think that's just down to the publisher, having that logo on the box makes it seems more inviting to windows shoppers maybe?

Grief.exe

Same. I'd also be pining for ODST + Reach to make their way on Steam as well. It just seems fitting to have all of the Bungie Halo titles on PC.

ODST being brought over as part of the package with Halo 3 would make sense, game was essentially an expansion pack to Halo 3.

Imagine Halo 3 + ODST:

Optimized
1080p+/60fps+
FOV slider
ODST Firefight
Halo 3 multiplayer
Halo 3 CO-OP
Steamworks (cloud, achievements, can purchase on GMG or Amazon)
Dedicated Servers

iOAkY6nNZaicn.gif

Grief.exe

icw6CQlgpp6cD.png

Dishonored is 'Games for Windows' and it's a Steamworks title. I think that's just down to the publisher, having that logo on the box makes it seems more inviting to windows shoppers maybe?

Games for Windows

Developers have to meet certain requirements so that the game is guaranteed to function within Windows. Has no association with GFWL.

Games for Windows Live

Garbage.
A DRM solution that makes it easier for developers to port games over to Windows. Adds in achivement and easy multiplayer support.

Overdoziz

Banned
ODST being brought over as part of the package with Halo 3 would make sense, game was essentially an expansion pack to Halo 3.

Imagine Halo 3 + ODST:

Optimized
1080p+/60fps+
FOV slider
ODST Firefight
Halo 3 multiplayer
Halo 3 CO-OP
Steamworks (cloud, achievements, can purchase on GMG or Amazon)
Dedicated Servers

iOAkY6nNZaicn.gif
It will never happen.

Alrix

i would buy them on steam even though i still own all the halo titles for xbox. would LOVE to play halo 2 MP again.

Jtrizzy

Games for Windows

Developers have to meet certain requirements so that the game is guaranteed to function within Windows. Has no association with GFWL.

Games for Windows Live

Garbage.
A DRM solution that makes it easier for developers to port games over to Windows. Adds in achivement and easy multiplayer support.

Thanks for that. So something that is just GFW doesn't make you login to their crappy thing? I've had a few issues with that since building my pc a few years ago.

Grief.exe

It will never happen.

Which won't happen?

The port?
Looks probable at this point.​

A perfect port?
No way to tell. If Microsoft does want to get back in with PC gamers, then this would be the way to do it.​

Steamworks?
Seems probable. The last few Microsoft Studios published games have been Steamworks. Mark of the Ninja, Deadlight, Toy Soliders (GFWL patched out).​

Thanks for that. So something that is just GFW doesn't make you login to their crappy thing? I've had a few issues with that since building my pc a few years ago.

Yep.

GFW is just a certification that Developers/Publishers have to pass in order to put it on the box. Certifies that the game works with Vista/7/8
?
, x86/x64, etc.

GFWL is the crappy thing that you have to log into.

Overdoziz

Banned
Which won't happen?

The port?
Looks probable at this point.​

A perfect port?
No way to tell. If Microsoft does want to get back in with PC gamers, then this would be the way to do it.​

Steamworks?
Seems probable. The last few Microsoft Studios published games have been Steamworks. Mark of the Ninja, Deadlight, Toy Soliders (GFWL patched out).​
It's been a long time since MS has put any effort into anything related to Halo on PC so it would be very surprising if they make Halo 1 and 2 available on Steam, let alone completely port Halo 3 and/or ODST to PC.

water1111

Banned
It's been a long time since MS has put any effort into anything related to Halo on PC so it would be very surprising if they make Halo 1 and 2 available on Steam, let alone completely port Halo 3 and/or ODST to PC.

They did publish Fable 3 on steam...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steamworks?

I wouldn't be so certain about GFWL being ditched entirely seeing as the Halo games have an MP component, and thus far the XBLA games released on the PC that have had GFWL patched out or otherwise lack it do not*. More likely, I think, is that GFWL will be retained for MP with Steamworks being added for other purposes (namely achievements and cloud support), similar to the Steam version of Arkham City.

* Toy Soldiers XBLA has MP.

Grief.exe

I wouldn't be so certain about GFWL being ditched entirely seeing as the Halo games have an MP component, and thus far the XBLA games released on the PC that have had GFWL patched out or otherwise lack it do not*. More likely, I think, is that GFWL will be retained for MP with Steamworks being added for other purposes (namely achievements and cloud support), similar to the Steam version of Arkham City.

* Toy Soldiers XBLA has MP.

I was hoping they would rip it out entirely in favor of dedicated servers over p2p/GFWL.

I suppose that would make the port more difficult.

You know what, maybe there's a different angle on this. Is it maybe Microsoft's way of making peace with Valve over the Windows Store/Windows 8 thing? Sort of a "we're not going after your core gamer business with the Win Store, stop shitting on Win8" type of deal?

I wouldn't be surprised if the outcry has been enough to convince certain people to put some money into getting over whatever issue that prevents the game from being sold digitally and sell it, whether that be on Steam or GFWL.

Zzoram

Microsoft has nothing to lose by porting over Halo CE, Halo 2 and Halo 3 to Steam. Those games aren't selling Xbox consoles anymore.

Heck, even Halo ODST and Halo Reach should be ported because they can make serious bank from that. Just keep the newest Halo game Xbox exclusive and port the rest to make money off the people who weren't going to buy Xbox anyways if they haven't done so by now.

They ported Fable 1, 2, and 3 because they knew there was money to be made on PC. Why not Halo?

Microsoft should just partner with valve and have Xbox on Steam store. That could be the launching of community and publisher stores as well. Partnership would allow Microsoft to link to steam games in their store. Boom, done and done.

Also, if Microsoft are listening: we'd buy the fuck out of this.

Actually now that I think about it didn't Frank say that the Steam leak for their games was bunk or something along those lines?

Microsoft has nothing to lose by porting over Halo CE, Halo 2 and Halo 3 to Steam. Those games aren't selling Xbox consoles anymore.

With Valve looking to make a big push into the living room I can see why they'd want to avoid putting their biggest exclusive franchise on the platform. Even if it's the older games it still sets a precedent that the new ones will eventually make it's way over to the platform.

bee

can't remember ever seeing anything on the steam registry that didn't eventually come out, halo 3 seems pretty much confirmed

Conor 419

Banned
As Halo 5 probably won't nearly be as good as the literal second coming of Halo 3, it's safe to say I probably won't need the Next Box.

Actually now that I think about it didn't Frank say that the Steam leak for their games was bunk or something along those lines?

With Valve looking to make a big push into the living room I can see why they'd want to avoid putting their biggest exclusive franchise on the platform. Even if it's the older games it still sets a precedent that the new ones will eventually make it's way over to the platform.

Yes he did. Those words, too. Bunk on their end or whatever.

Thinking about it. Also Steam thing is bunk as far as our stuff is concerned anyway. on't know what Dyad is or what that was all about.

Grief.exe

can't remember ever seeing anything on the steam registry that didn't eventually come out, halo 3 seems pretty much confirmed

There are a few ones like Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 that were on the registry but never came to Steam. Its usually the exception to the rule though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If I remember correctly though him and MS both denied Halo: CEA as well. Someone had to register those games.

Frankie later claimed that Halo: CEA wasn't in active development at the time of the rumour so technically his denial was legitimate as no such product existed in any tangible form. It wouldn't surprise me if we're currently in the midst of history repeating itself.

Edit: Oh, sorry, he claimed that the project wasn't even greelit at the time of the rumour, which I find incredibly dubious seeing as said rumour is dated February 2011 and the game released 9 months later. So, again, it wouldn't surprise me if history is in the process of repeating itself.

Why are you posting this in this thread ?

This is not PC/Steam related at all.

Because the title clearly says 'Steam Rumors' and the post is about a 343 project. I even said it's unlikely.
But I sincerely apologize, I'm very sorry for posting something so horrific!

I don't see the link between "rumors about Steam" and this news...

Because if the rumor that Halo 2 was coming to Steam was true, then it would mean that Halo 3 is also likely to be ported over...
The registry exists for a reason. Like I said in the community thread and in here, it's unlikely but still possible as it's too soon for another major Halo title.

So I'm not quite sure what your problem is, unless you're still under the belief that the registry was 'hacked' 7 months ago just to add Halo titles for no reason at all.

Grief.exe

Frankie later claimed that Halo: CEA wasn't in active development at the time of the rumour so technically his denial was legitimate as no such product existed in any tangible form. It wouldn't surprise me if we're currently in the midst of history repeating itself.

Also that really isn't a denial.

If he had just said that 'the whole thing is bunk,' that would be one thing.

But he added on, 'as far as our stuff is concerned.' They are not likely working on the port, Microsoft probably tapped some other developer to handle the port like with Halo: CE and Halo 2 PC versions.

Sibylus

Banned
His "our" in this case is vague to the extreme as well. Whose stuff? Bungie? 343? Some third party firm tasked with a port by Mama MS? Seems like a pretty stock can neither confirm nor deny.

Top Bottom