• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 Special Edition Xbox 360 pics

BuG

trancekr said:
Guy, it's not that ugly.
Actually, I really like the color.

1393465474_d2379609c6.jpg
That looks pretty nice. I didn't realise the tray face was gold. The tray itself isn't white though is it? I'm not getting one as I already have a 360 but I'm just wondering because it would look a lot better if it were the same grey as the memory slots.

Doodlebug

Yeah, I don't get all the hate. It's like a few people decided that they genuinely didn't like it and now it's cool to say the same.

I like it. If I didn't already have a 360 and the Elite wasn't available, I'd likely buy one.

Rolf NB

siamesedreamer said:
Best thing about it:

WHISPER QUIET

Can't even tell you how much more quiet it is than my other 360.
Is that really really true? I.e. you didn't lie to make that item more attractive, somehow?

Barnolde

Banned
Doodlebug said:
Yeah, I don't get all the hate. It's like a few people decided that they genuinely didn't like it and now it's cool to say the same.

I like it. If I didn't already have a 360 and the Elite wasn't available, I'd likely buy one.
Few people? Do you remember when Peter Moore first showed it off?

kruskev

bcn-ron said:
Is that really really true? I.e. you didn't lie to make that item more attractive, somehow?

I mean I have 360 with new drive but I still hear the really loud fan while playing games :/ I don't know how anyone can say the new ones are whisper quiet.

Halvie

Banned
you don't hear the fans you hear the drive seeing that it plays at a constant speed. If you can hear the exhaust fans over the drive while playing your system is fucked.

Shins

Banned
I didn't notice before, but seeing actual pictures now, the lack of etching on the controller itself is disappointing. I'm not a huge fan of the color, but it definitely looks better with the various lines running across it on the console. The controller just looks blah.

siamesedreamer said:
Best thing about it:

WHISPER QUIET

Crossposted from my comment in the HDMI/heatsink thread:

I just got my 4th 360, a refurb 'manufactured' 4 weeks ago (no HDMI and no telling how old the guts really are).

But holy shit is this thing quiet. It's basically PS3 quiet when there is no DVD spinning, unlike my last three that sounded like a vacuum cleaner. I could actually watch downloaded movies or HD-DVD on this one.

Mash

What failed art student came up with that colour palette?

I know it has to be Halo related but hell, silvers, blues and luminous glow-ey type hues are synonymous with Halo too, this just looks ugly as hell, sorry I don't meant to be down on those who bought one.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Mash said:
What failed art student came up with that colour palette?

I know it has to be Halo related but hell, silvers, blues and luminous glow-ey type hues are synonymous with Halo too, this just looks ugly as hell, sorry I don't meant to be down on those who bought one.
Ok, now people are talking out out of their asses. Go ot a store and take a look at it for yourself, the finish is the same quality as that one of the Zune. The actual console looks more badass than any mod I have ever seen.
edit: Also, I can confirm its ultra quiet. This is good, most likely it means that all future models will be this quiet.
Dai Kaiju said:
Well duh, you can't register the same serial number more than once.
I was talking about my own machine.

godhandiscen said:
edit: Also, I can confirm its ultra quiet. This is good, most likely it means that all future models will be this quiet.

I never thought they'd get these bastards as quiet as the ones made in the last month. Once the go 65nm CPU, it should be even cooler and maybe quieter. Full 65nm with CPU and GPU might be totally silent.

jonezer4

trancekr said:
Guys, it's not that ugly.
Actually, I really like the color.

1393465474_d2379609c6.jpg

That thing is fucking horrific.

And no, it's not going to sell well. Anyone nerdy enough to actually want this green turd, undoubtedly all ready has a 360, and only a small percentage of those nerds are so hopelessly nerdy that they'll purchase a second 360, just to have one that's made from 100% genuine Master Chief diarrhea.

Blueblur1

I got mine today as well. I'm in love with it. Especially the controller with the black trim on top (where LB and RB rest) and the black "Back" and "Start" buttons. Its really slick in person.

The hard drive barely has any content on it. It has the Brute Vidoc, the 1st commercial (CG one from months ago) and the announcement trailer. Other trailers include Halo Wars (big surprise!) and some other old random trailers that I do not recall right now.

The exclusive gamer pics and theme are actually two separate codes printed on a Halo 3 flyer that comes inside the packaging. I'm currently using the Spartan helmet. (Check my gamertag at Xbox.com for it: Total Sacrifice).

I've only tinkered around with it but it was really quiet and I love it. I won't be using it for a few days just because I'm still using my old 360 before I sell it to a friend so I can't give you a 'noise comparison' report. Maybe in a few days when I migrate my content over to the new console from the old.

3rdman

siamesedreamer said:
Best thing about it:

WHISPER QUIET

Hey! I see that mission has been accomplished! I too, picked up mine earlier today...I immediately opened up the hard drive cases to both of my machines so my original 20G HDD is now in its Halo 3 enclosure! Congrats...and screw the haters!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
jonezer4 said:

And no, it's not going to sell well. Anyone nerdy enough to actually want this green turd, undoubtedly all ready has a 360, and only a small percentage of those nerds are so hopelessly nerdy that they'll purchase a second 360, just to have one that's made from 100% genuine Master Chief diarrhea.
You wish. The fact is that even today its hard to find out. Go hunt around, a couple Gamestops are already sold out, including mine.

VASPER

Banned
trancekr said:
I have BenQ drive.
Whoa, this thing is really quiet.

Now I can sleep while turing this on...:D

1392538671_b27419a08c.jpg

Why would you put that rockstar sticker on you 360 its ugly. But i like your bioshock faceplate.:D

C4Lukins

jonezer4 said:

It probably will not sell by the millions or anything, but it seems to be doing quite well for a limited edition console. Some of the people on here have reported their Gamestops having around 20 preorders, which is more 360s then my local Gamestop got at the day 1 launch two years ago.

Isurus

siamesedreamer said:
Best thing about it:

WHISPER QUIET

Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case and the Halo 3 version truly is whisper quiet, I will most likely pick one up. Stinkles, do you know anything about this?

jonezer4 said:

nerdy nerd nerd, posting on gaf, you are above them all.

I'm very upset that the halo 3 edition 360 has been out for nearly a whole day now, yet I can't find a single 100% sure confirmation on weather this has the 65nm chips or not. I bought one of these systems but I won't open it until I know for sure one way or the other.

The extra $50 for a play and charge kit, less common paint, and 65NM chips now instead of later is worth it to me. But if the 65nm isn't there, no dice, it's going back to the store.

trancekr

Isurus said:
Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case and the Halo 3 version truly is whisper quiet, I will most likely pick one up. Stinkles, do you know anything about this?

Yeah, I can confirm this.

I never thought 360 would be this quiet.

xTOOLx

I just set mine up. It is very quiet. I'm currently re-downloading all the halo 2 maps....ugh.

None of my co-workers liked it. I think it's fucking sexy!

BTW, the Burbank Best Buy still has Wii's and Halo 360's

So... MS has finally worked out how to make the damn things quiet? Who knows, maybe they'll start moving that tech into the normal models too.

Ugh...just noticed the scratch on the faceplate (at the bottom down by the Halo 3 logo):

Halo3_console004.jpg

The plastic is like gouged out. Nothing that I did to it could have done that because the plastic is some hard shit. Called 1-800-4MYXBOX and they can't gaurantee I'll get a replacement faceplate. Surely, companies makes extra units of special editions for purposes like what I have. Right?

I'm tempted to take it back tomorrow to EB and tell them its freezing on me. The reciept says I've got seven days to get a replacement of an opened system.

...so fucking pissed. Thoughts?

REK

I love all the hate! The fact is you now have 3 colors to choose from. The only people who have to like it are those that are interested in it and bought it. You haters make me laugh!:lol :lol :lol

Doodlebug said:

NO it's like it's terrifying and people are posting their opinions. Don't devalue them.

It should have matched the halo Zune, but they went with 220% more ugly.

qirex99

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
lol @ white tray

fo sheezy.

otoh, I actually think it looks pretty cool. If i got another box its certainly a black one (elite).

Anyhow, I guess it'll be VERY easy to see how many 360s were shifted on account of H3.

wow at the nice dark tray! whisper quiet? Whats the best way to sell a 360 online? how do you keep your HDD info?

Top Bottom