• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Interview With Footage, Probably No Beta [Up: Official Making Of Video]

Ken

As long as Halo 4 has some type of amazing firefight mode, I will be tickled as shit. It came to the point that I would sit and play only that mode for hours with friends. Killing wave after wave of Covenant together with fellow Spartans is the very spirit of Halo.

Simple fix would be to rip ODST's FF settings and implant it into H4.

So basically no unlimited ammo caches.

XAL

OK, I don't even know the dude, but it's obvious to me that the guy was attempting to make a crude joke that failed, not intentionally being sexist or demoralize women or whatever it's trying to be turned into.

The Halo community is filled with a bunch of children who say "rape" in association with kill whenever they're on fire in the game, so to speak. I.e., comments such as "you just got raped! killtacular!". Yes, crude and stupid, but it's clearly not meant in a sexual or intentionally demoralizing way. It's just your typical, stupid online slang.

The woman has an awesome name, Kiki Wolfkill. He attempted to make a Halo play on it such as kill, kill, and rape, as is the typical Halo babble online nowadays, unfortunately. Well, not just Halo, but CoD, and any other FPS nowadays, sadly. Like I said, I'm not down with that type of immature slang, but it's clear to me he wasn't attempting to direct anything sexual at her.

Anyway, just sayin'.

Getting "raped" is not exclusive to halo, it's used by a lot of people across pretty much every genre. Though that and other hateful ignorant bile gets used most often by the online/competitive FPS crowd.

Ken

I thought Reach's firefight was perfection.

Never having to worry about ammo removed a lot of the fun that I had in ODST's FF.

That and the fragility of ODSTs compared to Spartans meant you had to pick and choose fights carefully as the former.

Zeal

Banned
Getting "raped" is not exclusive to halo, it's used by a lot of people across pretty much every genre. Though that and other hateful ignorant bile gets used most often by the online/competitive FPS crowd.

Um yeah, which is exactly what I said in my post.

Redford

aka Cabbie

Don't mean to backseat, but mod already told us to drop it. Understand you're lttp though.

This poor, poor thread.

For those of you hating on 343i I honestly cannot understand it. They have essentially shown that they want to correct every 'mistake' that has been made with the Halo franchise. They've done it in a very classy way as to not offend Bungie, but you can tell that they are interested in making Halo 4 an entirely different game than its predecessor, Reach.

the problem... what one considers a mistake. Sprint for some is a mistake.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
OK, I don't even know the dude, but it's obvious to me that the guy was attempting to make a crude joke that failed, not intentionally being sexist or demoralize women or whatever it's trying to be turned into.

The Halo community is filled with a bunch of children who say "rape" in association with kill whenever they're on fire in the game, so to speak. I.e., comments such as "you just got raped! killtacular!". Yes, crude and stupid, but it's clearly not meant in a sexual or intentionally demoralizing way. It's just your typical, stupid online slang.

The woman has an awesome name, Kiki Wolfkill. He attempted to make a Halo play on it such as kill, kill, and rape, as is the typical Halo babble online nowadays, unfortunately. Well, not just Halo, but CoD, and any other FPS nowadays, sadly. Like I said, I'm not down with that type of immature slang, but it's clear to me he wasn't attempting to direct anything sexual at her.

Anyway, just sayin'.
I see where you're coming from, but all that vernacular and the culture behind it are deeply sexist. Just because it's a common occurance doesn't mean it's okay. I have mixed feelings about banning people for one-off remarks that are "innocently" ignorant like that. I mean, I'm glad to have them gone and unable to make further sexist remarks, but I also would rather have them stay around and not say really oppressive, hurtful things. Maybe even learn a thing or two.

But your comment only serves to further marginalize and discredit people who are already putting up with a lot. Sexism is serious and should be taken seriously. I'm not interested in being an amateur moderator, but I can't live with myself if I don't speak up against sexism, especially when it's affecting the communities I care about -- even if that community is just NeoGAF.

Sure.

I suppose I'm in the minority of never having had much fun with Reach's FF.
Firefight Limited was just ODST without the ammo limitation. Its my preferred mode actually, since most of the others feel too easy. Gotta have that fear for your life ODST feeling for me to get my kicks.

Making custom firefight modes was a great time too.

Havok

Never having to worry about ammo removed a lot of the fun that I had in ODST's FF.

That and the fragility of ODSTs compared to Spartans meant you had to pick and choose fights carefully as the former.
The ammo issue is one thing, but what I really want from ODST's firefight is the very aggressive AI. Reach's FF AI will attack you one squad at a time until all six squads in the wave have been killed (sit up on Courtyard's 'Walkway' spawn and this becomes obvious), whereas ODST's AI would rush you and force you work for survival. The solution is, as always, to give the player more options!

Log4Girlz

Holy carp that video was sweet. I think I'm gonna give this a try (last Halo I played was part 1 for the PC, had so much damn fun).

why dont people just drop/ignore the sexist stuff already. Fuck off with that shit into Off Topic already.

if people were just ignorant of his ignorance it wouldn't have gotten half as far as it has. Seriously, grow up already.

Zeal

Banned
I see where you're coming from, but all that vernacular and the culture behind it are deeply sexist. Just because it's a common occurance doesn't mean it's okay. I have mixed feelings about banning people for one-off remarks that are "innocently" ignorant like that. I mean, I'm glad to have them gone and unable to make further sexist remarks, but I also would rather have them stay around and not say really oppressive, hurtful things. Maybe even learn a thing or two.

But your comment only serves to further marginalize and discredit people who are already putting up with a lot. Sexism is serious and should be taken seriously. I'm not interested in being an amateur moderator, but I can't live with myself if I don't speak up against sexism, especially when it's affecting the communities I care about -- even if that community is just NeoGAF.
Yeah, I've already dropped it and moved on with the discussion. Don't even support the guy, as stated, just playing the devil's advocate as to where he was attempting to come from.

Ken

Firefight Limited was just ODST without the ammo limitation.

So it's not ODST.

Having to manage my weapons and even desperately scrounge around Covenant corpses looking for any decent Covenant weaponry before the next wave arrived made ODST FF special to me.

TheOddOne

There's still so much info to feast on. Whats up with Firefight? Forge? Saved Films? Is the arena idea coming back? Invasion? Is it still 4 player co-op? Do we play as copies of the chief or as secondary characters? Whats this new threat? How do spartan IVs get involved? etc etc etc etc.

And hell, is there really no beta?
This is in, it was confirmed during Halofest. They furthermore said that features that are expected from a Halo game, will be there. Take that comment however you want it :p

So it's not ODST.

Having to manage my weapons and even desperately scrounge around Covenant corpses looking for any decent Covenant weaponry before the next wave arrived made ODST FF special to me.
You've got a point. I missed that bit too.

This is in, it was confirmed during Halofest. They furthermore said that features that are expected from a Halo game, will be there. Take that comment however you want it :p
Thanks. I'm behind on my Halo news.

And I'm going to take that comment to mean they're out to bring Big Team Battle back to its former glory ;P

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So it's not ODST.

I've been dabbling with non-Matchmaking Firefight in Reach lately, and am having so much more fun with it.

- No Skirmishers.
- No infinite ammo crates. I added a few waves of Heretic Elites to replenish DMR ammo somewhat.
- Evade. It's actually really fun in Firefight, as much as I hate it in competitive Matchmaking.
- Infinite rounds, limited lives. Survival Firefight is best Firefight.

Edit : I also play with 110% movement speed + jump height.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I think it's the simple fact that shields change the dynamic of FF greatly, which in ODST the lack-of interested me quite a bit more than Reach, which became an endless Campaign checkpoint.

Giant Bomb confirmed that the covenant are back. That's a little bit disappointing. This was their chance to break away from Halo's conventions and do something radically different.

-hadouken

I suppose I'm in the minority of never having had much fun with Reach's FF.

Simple fix would be to rip ODST's FF settings and implant it into H4.

So basically no unlimited ammo caches.

Yep, keep ignorantly banging away with your point - when in fact Ammo Crates can be turned off/on in Reach Firefight. You'll find the option under Senario Settings.

Satchel

Banned
I do, but the day I let a random internet person offend me is the day they win, I can't have that!

Hey I'm with you. But I can understand the need to nip that stuff in the bud.

As to the "story" behind multiplayer?

I have 2 theories and I hope Frank can tell me if I'm warm or not:

Scenario 1
The spartan program, like the ancestors it was based on, pits new recruits against each other in a battle to the death. Those who survive (win) go on to fight for the UNSC.

Scenario 2
VR training program that all new recruits are put through. Combat training.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I like my theory better

Instead of creating a clone and taking the original kid away, they decide to make clones of the kids and leave the original to do whatever, as humanity was put on the brink of extinction - every life is important and it's best to let people live their life free to rebuild society

The battles between spartan 4s is a process of genetic modification... So they can discover the best genetic improvements for combat (which would tie into the whole "perk" thing, I think)

Ok maybe not the best theory lol

Hey I'm with you. But I can understand the need to nip that stuff in the bud.

As to the "story" behind multiplayer?

I have 2 theories and I hope Frank can tell me if I'm warm or not:

Scenario 1
The spartan program, like the ancestors it was based on, pits new recruits against each other in a battle to the death. Those who survive (win) go on to fight for the UNSC.

Scenario 2
VR training program that all new recruits are put through. Combat training.

my guess is that they're AI, one colour is humans the other is elites.

"The Didact transferred Chakas' conciousness and memories into a monitor in an attempt to preserve Chakas' intellect and ancient memories caused by his Geas." - creation of 343. (ie, he's a living conciousness)

Someone (forerunner?) is using living humans and covenant to do the same thing, then pitting them against one another in a battle royale. I think the campaign is going to explore the main foe who's doing this, while also setting up the backstory for the multiplayer. So mastercheif is going to try and stop whoever it is.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I like my theory better

Instead of creating a clone and taking the original kid away, they decide to make clones of the kids and leave the original to do whatever, as humanity was put on the brink of extinction - every life is important and it's best to let people live their life free to rebuild society

The battles between spartan 4s is a process of genetic modification... So they can discover the best genetic improvements for combat (which would tie into the whole "perk" thing, I think)

You put it very convincingly here.

Ken

Nope, though if you genuinely enjoy Firefight you owe it to yourself to get your FF friend/s back together for some customs. Just like you used to with ODST.
All of my ODST games were with gaffers here. Once Reach rolled out, matchmaking multiplayer and FF seemed to be what everyone else was playing instead of custom FF games (the low credit payouts in custom games didn't help either).

It's why I was excited for FF matchmaking; I could get a full game of people for FF whenever I felt like playing. Unfortunately it wasn't the FF I wanted. :(

Zeal

Banned
The battle between the red and blue 4s is probably a training regiment that decides who makes the final cut, or which squads they will be placed in. Just like the books.

Ken

i mean like sped up natural selection

they die, other traits are decided upon until the spartan 4 is the ultimate version of what they could be
Sounds like some type of Juggernaut game type; the more you kill the stronger you get until you snowball into a Juggernaut-like state.

Anyways, I'll care about why the reds and blues are fighting after an explanation for respawns is given.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I got you, sounds way better than the AI theory. They wouldn't say they were trying to expand the multiplayer canon if it was just a simulation.

Bottom right corner. Anybody got an idea of what (><) means?

GrenadesinFirstLookTrailer.png

i would like to see a more interesting HUD... How can you brag about the hud when its very similar to the previous HUD's? C'mon, get creative. Im tired of all this playing it safe. Its supposed to be like the HUD of a fighter jet? Make you feel like you are a person wearing a helmet? whatever...

It probably wont be as atmospheric as the Metroid Prime HUD from 10 years ago... Helmet movement, splash on visor, steam on visor, reflection of Samus' face on the inside of the visor during certain lighting conditions (AWESOME!)... This was 10 years ago, why brag about the atmospheric design of the HUD if it's not really all that and a bag of fritos.

AlStrong

I like my theory better

I kind of like this theory. (btw, "genetic screening" :p) The idea seems pretty similar to the way The Clans operated in the Battletech Universe, and for similar reasons too (small society, genetic screening for best warriors).

i would like to see a more interesting HUD...

I'd like to know why we can customize spartan colours, but not the HUD colour. :p

On a side note, I find it pretty silly to have an ammo counter in the top right for a gun that has the ammo counter on it. That's one thing I liked about Doom 3. A fully customizable HUD to enable/disable certain aspects would be nice. They'd clearly have the ability to do so if they can toggle shields and the radar etc. Similarly, if there are on-screen indicators (giant red x) for where a teammate was killed, I don't need text to further reiterate that. I just find it distracting to have in the corner. All that I would care about is who killed me last, and that sort of info can be shown while you wait to respawn.

Going along with the customization of the HUD colour, how about a transparency level as well? Does no one there even own a plasma display? :p

LOL now that you mention the ammo count, it says 30 on the hud and 36 on the gun lol

36 in the gun. 30 left after that.

I'm not sure how I feel about them trying to tie cannon into multiplayer. Weren't the multiplayer maps in Halo games always set in "real" places within the universe anyway? I dunno, if they end up saying "it's all VR" what service does that provide to the story? If they say "this is the spartan civil war of 2562" or something in world then I guess they write in why there's respawning or explaining why a billion dudes battle rifled each other to death over a flag.

blamite

Bottom right corner. Anybody got an idea of what (><) means?
That's where the time remaining would normally show up. I'd guess it's a placeholder for games with no time limit or something? Everything about that screen makes it look like a test, you can see there's no gametype name, emblem, or score either.

TUROK

36 in the gun. 30 left after that.

I'm not sure how I feel about them trying to tie cannon into multiplayer. Weren't the multiplayer maps in Halo games always set in "real" places within the universe anyway? I dunno, if they end up saying "it's all VR" what service does that provide to the story? If they say "this is the spartan civil war of 2562" or something in world then I guess they write in why there's respawning or explaining why a billion dudes battle rifled each other to death over a flag.
Seems pointless, but that's only while judging it from the extremely unfair perspective of having no information about it.

Seems pointless, but that's only while judging it from the extremely unfair perspective of having no information about it.

Yeah. It could potentially be interesting but the last game that I remember trying it was Bioshock 2 and even though a played a fair bit of that multiplayer, I never got anything from the story. I think Max Payne 3 is trying it as well so I guess we'll see how it goes.

Top Bottom