• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 is Top-Selling Microsoft Studios Game of Its Respective Launch Year

I wonder if Halo 4 trade-ins started the whole Microsoft DRM mess. They probably saw some bad stats despite their season of dlc, and thought all publishers would be on board.

MogCakes

A big one from those Legacy modes that is missing is Firefight.

The funny thing is you have only listed the MP problems, lets go onto SP.

• Serious non English speaking Grunts
  • Terrible A.I on both sides
  • No Brutes
  • Promethean enemy variety is sparse
  • Promethean move list is sparse (can't hijack/knock you off vehicles for example, just teleport and shoot)
  • QTEs (even in Co-op)
  • Uncontrollable turret segments
  • Smaller/narrower levels (worse than Halo 2)
  • New Promethean weapons don't feel alien enough
  • Plot hole filled story
  • Having to use Waypoint to view Terminals
  • Forward of to Dawn connection is stupid and is only acknowledged once.
  • No easter eggs outside the RvB stuff in Spartan Ops
  • Chief talking too much
  • Showing Chiefs face
  • Too many cutscenes
  • Doing something terminal to one of characters when it was unnecessary

• Cortana X Master Chief

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Congratulations Halo 4 on winning the best selling MS Studios Game of it's respective launch year - calendar not fiscal - 2013 best exclusive graphics award prize medallion.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I wonder if Halo 4 trade-ins started the whole Microsoft DRM mess. They probably saw some bad stats despite their season of dlc, and thought all publishers would be on board.

all that mess should have been in the original release. the scarcity of team slayer and forge maps helped contribute to my boredom FAST

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Congratulations Halo 4 on winning the best selling MS Studios Game of it's respective launch year - calendar not fiscal - 2013 best exclusive graphics award prize medallion.

Longest award name ever

Bgamer90

Banned
Loved the game. First Halo this gen that I really enjoyed in terms of BOTH SP and MP.

Know I'm in the minority when I say that but I don't care.

I've gotten my moneys worth out of the game. My only complaint is it felt too safe and they made it too casual to impress the COD crowd. Just shake things up more in the sequel and be different from other FPS games.

Card Boy

Banned
I've said it once and i will say it again. Halo 4's biggest problem is its a sequel to Reach and not a sequel to Halo 3. At least with Reach and ODST you can forgive them for going off the rails and trying something different.

Omni

I can understand why this happened.

The campaign has a predator missile! Obviously the Call of Duty kids saw it and told ALL their friends to buy the game.

bidguy

Banned
I can understand why this happened.

The campaign has a predator missile! Obviously the Call of Duty kids saw it and told ALL their friends to buy the game.

reach had a "predator missile" aswell.
you can only destroy vehicles with this one so im not sure why thats a problem.

the campaign is missing some big battles and its pretty short but otherwise its fantastic.

Omni

reach had a "predator missile" aswell.
you can only destroy vehicles with this one so im not sure why thats a problem.

the campaign is missing some big battles and its pretty short but otherwise its fantastic.
I have no idea what you're talking about here with Reach. Perhaps the target designator? Not the same.

Go through the Halo 4 campaign to see what I mean. It's an actual predator missile from Call of Duty... Except that while they give you control, you have no actual way of steering the thing and can't fail. I'm sure it was supposed to be a cool moment, but it was a terrible attempt at stealing something from a more popular franchise.

Lets not even talk about the QTE boss at the end (lol).

Whole game is a CoD degenerate.

You've already been reprimanded over this absolutely ridiculous statement, but I'm going to kill myself now just to drive the point home.
Its not my fault some of you guys can't seem to look *up*, much less shoot *up* at the player with the unmistakably loud jetpack in the air, devoid of any cover and exposed to half the map, moving in an easily predictable arc. Jetpack wearers take tremendous risks and make for easy targets to pop out of the sky.

Never saw the problem. Jetpacks have also been in the lore from the beginning, and Halo Reach finally brought 'em into the mix, thankfully. Designers who don't want to consider the movement possibilities inherent in a game with jetpacks should stick to designing levels for games without them.

sp3000

The campaign was amazing at least.

Maybe if you have terrible standards and think COD campaigns are good.

It was a linear garbage piece of design. Let's not even get started on the story which made no sense to non book readers, and the hilarious romance of Master Chief and Cortana

Good for 343. Halo 4 is just behind 2 and tied with Reach in my echelon of Halo games. Much better than 3... everybody in my Halo clique was let down by 3.

Prine

Banned
I hated 3, worst Halo single player. Multilayer was good though. Graphically the biggest disappointment of last gen.

Demon Ice

Banned
Go through the Halo 4 campaign to see what I mean. It's an actual predator missile from Call of Duty... Except that while they give you control, you have no actual way of steering the thing and can't fail. I'm sure it was supposed to be a cool moment, but it was a terrible attempt at stealing something from a more popular franchise.

I can't figure out / remember which part of the game you're talking about here.

I guess that shows how utterly forgettable the campaign was, seeing as how I have no problem remembering major events from the campaigns of CE, 2, 3, and Reach.

Played 4,500 mp games of Halo2 & Halo3.

Played 4 hours of Halo4 mp, and uninstalled it.
So much just doesn't feel right.

Somewhere between Halo3 and Halo Reach is the perfect Halo multiplayer imo:
No: sprint, loadouts, or armor permutations. Yes: fall damage, health packs, tactical equipment.
If I could have a combination of these, plus the best Halo3 & Anniversary maps with an HD makeover, and have them released on XboxOne as a mp-only online game...I'd be a happy man.
But that'll never happen. :(
I can dream though.

Thanks for reposting my long rant from earlier. I was upset. It was a short confined list of lots of reasons though why Halo 4 is failing. Also please forgive my spelling and punctuation I'm trying to get through this quickly before I go to bed.

I continue to get upset and I'm sorry lol. I hate seeing Halo become what its becoming. Halo was its own identity that fought against CoD. Both games had pros and cons. However Halo is now closer to just a sci-fi skin on a CoD game. Both are great games, I see CoD having more of a general appeal so it needs to stop trying and beating that game. It'll have its own fans if it remains Halo.

Personal ordnance brings a degree of randomness that you just dont expect in Halo games. The default sprint + the ability to have another armor ability led to increased mobility so now all maps need to be bigger, this takes away from the # of small maps we receive. Thats really really tough on somoene who loves that fact that Halo is an arena shooter. There should be a few BTB maps and then a few more released in DLC but it shouldnt be as large of a focus as it is in Halo 4, Halo 4 released with like one or two maps that would be considered small (Haven + Kinda Abandon or that Drift Mecha Robot hallway map). Personal ordnance wasnt the only thing the global ordnance system was broken at the beginning of the game and sometimes dropped random weapons and the weapon indicators ended up being wrong or the timing was off on the drop. Because of all these personal weapons and the global ordnance they took weapons off the map, this means you cant grab extra ammo. Thats not what Halo's really about.

The credit system and the rush to get to SR-130. The highest rank takes quite awhile to get not as long as it takes to reach Inheritor rank in Reach or 5 star general in Halo 3 but quite a bit of time. The only problem is now these credits actually unlock parts of your create-a-loadout screen. This means actual gameplay elements are tied behind a grind system. Whereas Halo has always been about accessibility and ease of picking up. Before knowledge and skill was the sole reasons behind winning and losing, but now, now you might lose because you cant come home from school and play Halo for 6 hours a day because you have to come home from work and cook dinner for the gf and family or whatnot. Unlocks should go back to aesthetics only. They also shouldnt shove doritores and Mt Dew down players throats so they can have these UNLOCKS QUICKER.

The UI is ridiculous everything is huge and they took away a really good lobby and active roster they've had with the last Halos. The lobby was so good games COPIED that straight from Halo 2. Why throw away something so great?

The playlist management has been bad since H3. Jeremiah/NinjaOnFire was OK then, the games and playlists got more demanding though/ Shishka in charge of Halo 3's playlist was a straight up tyranny. His decisions were increasingly bad and not only that but he was stubborn he wouldn't change things that were proven to be wrong. Starting with AR's on Avalanche years into Halo 3 is embarrassing. Putting Valhalla in 4v4 Objective...just simple decisions that are obviously wrong yet they wouldnt backpedal on them. Whatever Bungie and Shishka said stood. The community support they started up became nothing but a facade. Anyways NinjaOnFire was back for Reach and he started out great but quickly the updates slowed. This is happening with Bravo and the sustain team they implanted at 343. At first regular changes here and there but they have slowed down considerably. A ton of settings are wrong and unfavorable to individuals not teaming up with power players all night, yet they refuse to add a single playlist thats teams, without the ability to bring groups in. Your only choice is be subjected to the random drawing of teammates or play FFA, and they didnt even have FFA in the beginning that was added way later like I'm talking 2-3 months after release. Basically they need someone very very knowledgeable about Halo CE - 4 and knowledgeable about the user experience with a ton of time put into the game. They refuse to aknowledge any of my lists of fixes. Hire Juices. Anyways ...lets move on.

Halo 4 removed several features that pissed off communities from halo They removed campaign scoring and timing with pissed off HighSpeedHalo, they also removed campaign theater so you cant go rewatch your adventures through campaign. This also means people can only speedrun the game and post online if they have a capture card now, so thats a new technical hurdle. A game further into the series should never REMOVE features.

God I could honestly go on forever with the mistakes they've made...Some easily fixable but 343i is so goddamn stubborn.

If anyone read this thanks. Let me know, tell me a topic, I could go on forever I really really could.

Well deserved. Best game in the franchise, imo. It's easily the most enjoyable Halo campaign I've played, as far as I'm concerned.

Why does everyone hate Halo 4 now? It seemed like everyone was enamored with 343 when this was just coming out, and I played through half of the campaign with a friend and it felt like Halo to me.

Did they screw up the multiplayer balance or something?
Don't remember being enamored with 343, ever. Halo 4 didn't feel like Halo to me particularly because the AI just wasn't as smart and the shooting felt more linear.

You've already been reprimanded over this absolutely ridiculous statement, but I'm going to kill myself now just to drive the point home.

Halo 4 is an offense to the entire franchise. I can't imagine how the guys at Bungie feel, seeing their old baby taken out back, shot, and then shit on by corporate executives.

My man.

I loved the character development. I don't think any of the other games does it any better. The Chief is absolutely at his most epic, most all around impressive as a character in this game compared to any of the titles that preceded it, and I think that counts for a lot. It's not this insignificant thing to me. I've heard the promises before about doing more with the Chief's character, and this is the game that actually succeeded. Cortana's rampancy story was handled incredibly well. You really feel like you lost something come the end of the game. You didn't get teased about her rampancy the way that Halo 3 did. The entire build up ended up being a waste due to how easily things fell right back in the norm.

Cortana was shown being more of a proper high level AI partner in this game, doing the kinds of things you expect of such a highly advanced partner. All the little things that you might read about in a book, but never see in a game. These fictional elements matter, and Halo 4 I feel does them better than all the rest.

Loved the weapon lineup and balancing more than the other games, enjoyed playing it more than the other titles, and I especially felt that the prometheans were a great addition to the sandbox. The pacing is the best I've experienced in any of the Halo titles. Well, whatever, I just can't stop saying good things about this game. I don't play the MP, so don't bother asking me about it. :)

Also I'm sure a lot of people here who actually do enjoy the game are talking about the campaign. These are people that play Halo like you would read a book you play through it you might replay it, then you put it away and you might replay it months later and before the next Halo is released and your MP total games probably doesn't exceed 200 games..

Those are the people who don't understand or don't care to pick the game apart. They are the casuals, and that's fine, but honestly... you'd probably like any type of Halo thrown at you, and if they just made the game for the people racking thousands and thousands of MP games then everyone would win!

IHaveIce

Banned
Juices with like the only real good posts in the thread.

People who defend Jetpack, sone of the other weird decisions in Halo 4, Reach decisions and more are a pain for me and the franchise.

Halo 3 made already some questionable decisions with a non hitscan br, weird fov, equipment etc but Reach and Halo 4 went so wrong.

And I never do see the franchise returning to old glory

aronmayo2

Banned

Best single player too, well done 343,glad it's out of Bungie hands.

Can't wait to see Xbox One Halo, 343i created one of the best looking games last gen.

I'm also glad Bungie is not making Halo anymore. Reach felt very dated, safe and brown, although I still loved it and adored Firefight.

343 did a much better job with the story half (single-player) than Bungie managed to ever in the series in my opinion - CE was their best previously. Halo 4 blows the previous entries out of the water in almost every way.

In Halo 4 the game was finally given the budget and attention to detail and production that a sci-fi universe deserves, there was lots of fan service, some really cool epic moments, getting to see stuff from the books that Bungie seemed afraid to show etc. The visual language of the game, lots of neon, lots of colour, lots of level variety (forests, corridors, wide open grassy landscapes, spaceships), star wars homages, inverted planet surfaces (stare up and see the underbelly of the opposite side of the planet), beautiful skyboxes, beautiful character design, very hard, cool science fiction....it was all just much more grandiose than Bungie had ever managed to achieve and I'm really thankful to 343 for creating such a breathtaking experience.

I just can't comprehend how people think that it's "bad".

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Little bit surprised that it out did Halo 3, even with the massively increased install base.

Halo 3 opened to the same and seemed to have better legs. Plus it launched earlier in the FY.

It's been explained by many HaloGAF members, so I'm not going to.

Here's some examples of the problems with Halo 4:

• Instant Respawn
    [*]Sprint
  • Custom Loadouts
  • Armor Abilities
  • Perks
  • Specializations (one allows you to essentially remove flinch when scoped)
  • Personal Ordnance Drops
  • Global Ordnance Drops (which I believe 343 has removed for the most part)
  • Flinch
  • Mediocre Maps
  • Redundant Weapons
  • Frame Rate Dips
  • Poor skill-based matching
  • Lack of custom game options
  • Removal of legacy game modes (assault, juggernaut, 1 flag ctf, race, etc)
  • FileShare didn't work for months with no explanation
  • Shitty UI (jesus)

There's probably more, but that's just off the top of my head. The MAIN issue with Halo 4 is it's having an identity crisis. It's not sure whether it's supposed to be a generic 2012 FPS with custom classes, weapon skins, perks, and killstreaks. Or if it's supposed to be Halo 4, a medium paced arena shooter. This on top of 343's "it feels like Halo," and "trust us" pre-launch left a pretty bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

Why is sprint bad? I hear people complain about this and ironsights a lot in FPSing, but I continue to believe they add strategy and variation to the process as opposed to just running around at one speed, all the time, with your weapon up like QuakeGAF loves to do. I don't understand why it's considered more simplistic when you have to time your sprint, being fully aware of the limitations -- that your avatar has to lower the weapon in order to have enough "strength" to do it. It's the same with the tradeoff in accuracy vs speed and line of sight when using ironsights (ie raising the weapon up).

Also, if flinch means getting stunned when taking bullets after the shields are depleted as opposed to bullet sponge, I would not consider that bad either. The rest I can easily believe.

Aaron

Little bit surprised that it out did Halo 3, even with the massively increased install base.

Halo 3 opened to the same and seemed to have better legs. Plus it launched earlier in the FY.
Halo 3 did do better. It sold more copies, and wasn't discounted as quickly as Halo 4.

Grief.exe

Flawless

Why is sprint bad? I hear people complain about this and ironsights a lot in FPSing, but I continue to believe they add strategy and variation to the process as opposed to just running around at one speed, all the time, with your weapon up like QuakeGAF loves to do. I don't understand why it's considered more simplistic when you have to time your sprint, being fully aware of the limitations -- that your avatar has to lower the weapon in order to have enough "strength" to do it. It's the same with the tradeoff in accuracy vs speed and line of sight when using ironsights (ie raising the weapon up).

Also, if flinch means getting stunned when taking bullets after the shields are depleted as opposed to bullet sponge, I would not consider that bad either. The rest I can easily believe.

ADS adds strategy?

No. The only thing ADS does is lower the skill ceiling incredibly.

Flinch is considered bad because if you get shot first, you are already at a disadvantage. Throwing flinch into the equation makes it more difficult for you to pull off a victory, and throws in a needless random element as well.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Sprint + Relatively long kill times = poor gameplay.

Sprint + Instant respawn + long recovery times = even worse gameplay.

And flinch takes skill out of long range fights. No one misses anymore so you cannot push up while keeping your opponents pinned down.

kdash7

I'm also glad Bungie is not making Halo anymore. Reach felt very dated, safe and brown, although I still loved it and adored Firefight.

343 did a much better job with the story half (single-player) than Bungie managed to ever in the series in my opinion - CE was their best previously. Halo 4 blows the previous entries out of the water in almost every way.

In Halo 4 the game was finally given the budget and attention to detail and production that a sci-fi universe deserves, there was lots of fan service, some really cool epic moments, getting to see stuff from the books that Bungie seemed afraid to show etc. The visual language of the game, lots of neon, lots of colour, lots of level variety (forests, corridors, wide open grassy landscapes, spaceships), star wars homages, inverted planet surfaces (stare up and see the underbelly of the opposite side of the planet), beautiful skyboxes, beautiful character design, very hard, cool science fiction....it was all just much more grandiose than Bungie had ever managed to achieve and I'm really thankful to 343 for creating such a breathtaking experience.

Cant agree more brother..bang on!

Graphs like this are meaningless. This is what it looks like for all games. Also, Halo 3 came out during a different time. Call of Duty has eaten up the majority of the Xbox user base.

There's also the issue of reporting active users in the past hour vs current active users. I don't think Halo 3 told you that.

Halo will probably never be as dominant as it once was, but it's still a great series.

Halo 4 will always be better than Halo 3 because Halo 3 doesn't have jet packs.

How is meaningless? Clearly, the player base abandoned the game pretty quick. There's a comparable graph that takes a look at Reach, and even that game didn't drop so sharply. I wish I could find it.

also I seriously laughed out loud at the last sentence

SP is linear as hell and mad corny. Info dumps =/= good storytelling.

MP is unbalanced, random, and gimmicky.

Ushae

Banned
That's an incredible shame. Halo 4 is terrible.

I might go out and buy a few more copies of CE just to try to set things right. I mean, I've already bought 5, why not more.

Edit: Looks like this is some numbers game. They're talking about per year. Disingenuous.

Well that's just you opinion, true it wasn't as great as the other games, but it wasn't an absolute travesty. There was just a lot of areas for improvement.

Top Bottom