• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - mandatory 8GB install for MP

I honestly could not imagine (At this stage in the generation) still having the 20gb launch HD.
When I say 20, I of course mean 13gb harddrive. Switched to the black elite after a red ring.

Even now with my 120gb I find myself clearing space and spring cleaning now and again.

Couldn't imagine what a pain this is going to be for people still on 20gb drives.

Seems odd that it requires 8gb free no? Maybe its just me and my never playing PC games, is this normal or???

Satchel

Banned
Surprised 343 went this route to be honest.

It won't affect me or anyone I know, but still, there's quite a few out there that it would suck for.

KageMaru

Surprised 343 went this route to be honest.

It won't affect me or anyone I know, but still, there's quite a few out there that it would suck for.

ODST is the only halo game that has been unaffected by the lack of a HDD this Gen.

Halo 3's audio is scaled back without a HDD, you originally couldn't play co-op in Reach without a HDD, and now you need 8GB for MP in halo 4.

343 are just kicking the requirements up a notch. =P

I'm fine with it, because you can buy a cheap usb stick and be done with it. So easy to solve this problem now if you want to avoid MS's HDDs.

aegies

"A $3 flash drive is where I draw a line in the sand, people!"

I have a 16GB flash drive just sitting here. If you PM me your shipping address I'll send it to you. I'm completely serious.

Seconded. I get USB drives all the time. I will contribute to this cause.

"For an optimal experience playing with an Xbox 360 Hard Drive is highly recommended."
That doesn't sound good. I hope the performance doesn't suffer when using a USB drive, that would really suck.

thats on MS for not making hdd standard.

What's on them? They made a business decision that has proven to be the right one. If anything, it's not on them, but on the users, because the lack of standard hdd has been holding back the 360. I don't see how this is going to hurt Microsoft in any way. Very few people who are planning on buying Halo 4 will not do it because of this. Besides, that would hardly matter this late into the generation.

That doesn't sound good. I hope the performance doesn't suffer when using an USB drive, that would really suck.

I presume that would depend on the flash drive's speed. If you have a decent one, transfer speeds shouldn't be lower:

http://www.examiner.com/article/a-look-at-xbox-360-performance-with-a-usb-flash-drive

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/fastest-usb-flash-drives-for-xbox-360_Page-3

see5harp

thats on MS for not making hdd standard.

Dude if I still was rocking my 20 gig from launch, I'd still be screwed. How anyone is still rocking a 13 gigs of available space with the glut of XBLA and media apps like ESPN and HBO Go is beyond my wildest imagination.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
What's on them? They made a business decision that has proven to be the right one. If anything, it's not on them, but on the users, because the lack of standard hdd has been holding back the 360. I don't see how this is going to hurt Microsoft in any way. Very few people who are planning on buying Halo 4 will not do it because of this. Besides, that would hardly matter this late into the generation.

I presume that would depend on the flash drive's speed. If you have a decent one, transfer speeds shouldn't be lower:

http://www.examiner.com/article/a-look-at-xbox-360-performance-with-a-usb-flash-drive

No. HDD can be used for caching data... USB drives can't be used in the same way.

That's my understanding, any way. That's why they say HDD is preferable.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Dude if I still was rocking my 20 gig from launch, I'd still be screwed. How anyone is still rocking a 13 gigs of available space with the glut of XBLA and media apps like ESPN and HBO Go is beyond my wildest imagination.

Simple, we delete and re-download a lot.

demolitio

Aw hell, I ended up preordering the limited edition instead of the normal copy just for the DLC so I hope people play them. I'm glad they aren't budging on this and they're making what they want to make.

see5harp

Simple, we delete and re-download a lot.

To be honest I survived a long time with my launch unit as well. When the slim finally came out with crazy trade credit at Gamestop, it made no sense to not upgrade and get the built in wifi and super quiet unit.

What's on them? They made a business decision that has proven to be the right one. If anything, it's not on them, but on the users, because the lack of standard hdd has been holding back the 360.

Again, I created a thread asking this very question if the lack of HDD has hurt the games and outside of a few exceptions like this it hasn't.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479004

Also, every system made that I know of besides stuff like the Virtual Boy had games released later in its life that wouldn't work on all systems produced without something extra even up to the last system released, the Vita.

Erasus

Woah HDDs for 360 are pretty expensive compared to laptop/ps3 ones. Still 8GB is not a lot come on.

EDIT: Oh you can get a 16GB flash drive for 5-10 dollah and use that? Why are people up in arms about this, did they think that 20GB launch HDD was going bto last forever? I would under stad if it forced you to upgradde the HDD, but with a usb stick its sloved!

The article doesn't say required install, it says it just needs at least that much room for MP. It doesn't say anything about installing the game as a requirement. Chillax people.

No. HDD can be used for caching data... USB drives can't be used in the same way.

That's my understanding, any way. That's why they say HDD is preferable.

I don't know if that is the case. As far as I know, Halo 3 is one of few 360 games that use the HDD for caching data, and load times were worse if you installed it because of that. Granted, that was before the NXE and optional installs, so they couldn't optimize for it. Newer games, such as Rage or Skyrim use the cache, but, at least in the case of the former, only when the game is not already installed.

Vire

The article doesn't say required install, it says it just needs at least that much room for MP. It doesn't say anything about installing the game as a requirement. Chillax people.

Uh what?

The very first sentence of the Xbox press release:

At a minimum, you’ll need at least an 8GB USB Flash Drive or an Xbox 360 Hard Drive to play Multiplayer mode in Halo 4.

In other words it is required in order to play multiplayer.

feel

Assuming this is a two disc game that can be played from a single disc, finally some good MP news out of this game!

edit- but in that case they would make the install optional and let people without hdd space run the mp from the second disc, so that's probably not it

Uh what?

The very first sentence of the Xbox press release:

In other words it is required in order to play multiplayer.

It doesnt say the game needs to be installed, it says that much room has to be available for the games MP online. Theres a difference.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
My 250GB regularly sits at around 60-90GB, depending on when I last cleared out some stuff. I have no problem with this, but it does suck for those with insufficient hard drive space.

Again, I created a thread asking this very question if the lack of HDD has hurt the games and outside of a few exceptions like this it hasn't.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479004

It has, and quite a few people in that thread rightly pointed it out. Developers just coded around the limitations, but they could have done more if the HDD was mandatory on the 360.

...Lots of 360 games use HDD for caching.

That was a mistake on my part. I also mentioned Skyrim and Rage. I don't recall any others using the HDD cache. I would appreciate it if you could tell me what other games use it.

This sucks. My original xbox red ringed not too long ago, and I bought a slim. The only way I could get a new system was to go for the cheaper pack, so I only have 4GB.

I have a couple of 8GB flash drives, but I'm guessing that wont work considering you can't completely format them.

It has, and quite a few people in that thread rightly pointed it out. Developers just coded around the limitations, but they could have done more if the HDD was mandatory on the 360.

Outside of a few exceptions, no one pointed any thing out. The vast majority of games this gen have been created, reviewed great, and sold great all without a HDD. Please bump the thread and disagree if you feel differently.

I don't understand how so many people game regularly with a 4gig xbox360 and yet cant afford a 16gig USB flash drive. They are literally 8-12$.

Cornbread78

that's Rage on PS3 kinda bad... I guess your gonna see HD sale cross promotions and bundle sales to boost hardware sales.

Goddamn, are some people really still rocking 20gb?

O_O

Ignoring this, that can't be enough for purpose. Xbla games alone would eat that up in no time.

Your 8GB flash drive should do - they recommend at least an 8GB flash drive, they don't say it's an 8GB install.

I'll give it a try when the time comes. Thanks.

Ignoring this, that can't be enough for purpose. Xbla games alone would eat that up in no time.

Fun fact, the only xbla game I've every purchased is Minecraft. Not everybody goes crazy with the downloading.

Outside of a few exceptions, no one pointed any thing out. The vast majority of games this gen have been created, reviewed great, and sold great all without a HDD. Please bump the thread and disagree if you feel differently.

Read your own thread, even the first ten replies. You will find that most of the people there believe that it wasn't good for development. You were just going in circles with your point, which is the same you've making here, at the same time ignoring those made by other posters. Sure, having no HDD has not meant that the games on the 360 have been automatically crap. It just means that, technically, they could have been better.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

i dont have hbo so i dont have hbo go and lol sports nope not for me i usually only keep about 5 arcade games installed at a time

Demon Ice

Banned
*sigh* Guess I'll be clearing some shit off my "20 GB". Putting quotes around 20 GB because it had 11 GB free when I booted the damn thing up for the first time. What a joke.

*sigh* Guess I'll be clearing some shit off my "20 GB". Putting quotes around 20 GB because it had 11 GB free when I booted the damn thing up for the first time. What a joke.

lol i know its terrible. And yet, they couldn't even put THAT as a standard HDD instead of the 4gigs one. You thought you had it bad, ask them ;)

lol at this being a thing, especially this late in the generation.

If you dont have the sufficient storage space and playing the Halo 4 MP is really important to you...go get a thumb drive. >_>

Fox Mulder

still rocking the 20 GB xbox.

Looks like I gotta invest in a flash drive, or start deleteing game saves :(

Saves are the last thing I delete since they're so small.

Have you tried using cloud saves? If you really can't get a flash drive, I will mail you one of the handful I have.

Top Bottom