• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - mandatory 8GB install for MP

Cannot believe people still own 20GB hard drives AND bitching about prices. I got my current 120GB hard drive off eBay in 2009 for $48. That was almost 3 years ago.

A quick browse on eBay right now shows 250GB hard drives go for around a whopping $40-$50.

I'm okay with this! In fact, I hope multiplayer is a download code so I don't need to swap disks.

I'm such a fiendishly evil consumer.

this is what im truly hoping for, i will play Halo 4 MP well after ive finished the campaign multiple times and moved on to other games

segarr

Glad I found this out before I bought a new 360. I'll have to make sure I get one with a big HDD. Probably would have anyway though. Running out of space from all the mandatory installs on ps3 taught me a big HDD is very beneficial.

NH Apache

Banned
I have my 16gb stick if I need to play this.
So he'll have to keep redownloading to switch between wanting to play Halo and his arcade games?

Not necessarily. The install says up to 8 gigs and I'm pretty sure you can free up 12 gigs on the launch version. I think I've done that before.

Of course this is if he was going to purchase the game. Which he said he probably wasn't.

Yeah..NO

If I was even going to buy this game because the MP looks barely passable and the campaign doesn't look THAT interesting to me yet I am certainly not planning on spending more on extra stuff just to play it.

I'll already have to cough up 20 euro's for a 4 month goldcard and then buy another usb drive just so I can play it?

Nah screw this.

So, yeah, it won't affect him.

Boss Man

Glad I found this out before I bought a new 360. I'll have to make sure I get one with a big HDD. Probably would have anyway though. Running out of space from all the mandatory installs on ps3 taught me a big HDD is very beneficial.
I've been keeping a close eye on HDD prices after that flood. I'm really hoping that prices normalize before we get the next-gen consoles. It seems like it's finally starting to happen.

Don't bother, you won't reason with them. That option's been mentioned numerous times already yet some people stubbornly choose to ignore it. So be it, who cares?

I dont think that works. I think 16 might be the maximum it can read or something.

Yes, you can't use three at the same time, but you can use two for an added 30 gigs of storage.

KageMaru

I still can't believe any hardcore gamer would be happy with minimal storage this late in the generation. They either don't bother with the 360 much or just don't game much in general.

So he'll have to keep redownloading to switch between wanting to play Halo and his arcade games?

If someone still has a 20GB today, they are likely used to managing storage. =p

TheOddOne

Screw you Microsoft and 343 Industries, you should have built your game around a base system that everybody uses. I would rather let this be playable on the lowest common system, then have more content that is bigger than the shipping disk. What the hell? How dare you make all this new content and it being of substantial quantity. Back in my day that shit use to be compressed the eff on the disk, it was low quality but at least it was on the disk.

Screw the guys that have bigger hard drives, what are they? Bunch of nerds, ruining it for us. Am I going to have to slap a liberty boy? I don’t care about Spartan Ops or whatever they copied from Call of Activision – I would rather have a full sized poster of Chief slapping Stinkles on the buttocks. For god sake they could have at least package a 343 branded deodorant.

I AM A WIZARD

Deadstar

Screw you Microsoft and 343 Industries, you should have built your game around a base system that everybody uses. I would rather let this be playable on the lowest common system, then have more content that is bigger than the shipping disk. What the hell? How dare you make all this new content and it being of substantial quantity. Back in my day that shit use to be compressed the eff on the disk, it was low quality but at least it was on the disk.

Screw the guys that have bigger hard drives, what are they? Bunch of nerds, ruining it for us. Am I going to have to slap a liberty boy? I don’t care about Spartan Ops or whatever they copied from Call of Activision – I would rather have a full sized poster of Chief slapping Stinkles on the buttocks. For god sake they could have at least package a 343 branded deodorant.

I AM A WIZARD

Completely agree with this post. Compress all videos so they look like trash. Tune down the graphics so textures look blurry enough to fit on disc without an install. Remove a couple multiplayer maps, cancel dlc plans (who has space for maps?). Maybe they can compress the audio too? The more static the better. Maybe save some space and remove a few guns and animations? Animating feet probably takes up a lot of space. Why not just have enemies float towards you?

Well, I've been at capacity for years on my launch 20GB hard drive. I love Halo but I'm still not upgrading. This sucks massively. I didn't play a ton of Reach MP but I still played. Guess I'll be going from years of Halo 1-3 to barely a week with Halo 4.

And I may try the flash drive route but just because of my personal 360 it's not the best solution. My USB's in the front have become almost unusable thanks to the amount of times idiots have jammed Rock Band / Guitar Hero instruments into my system wrong.

I wouldn't call this an ideal "workaround". DVD9 is outdated.

Honestly, given that we are in the seventh year of the Xbox 360, DVD-9 was the right choice. Of course some titles are pushing the limits, we are at the end of the generation.

Did you know that the actual game data in Alan Wake is a measly 2.4GB?

Well, I've been at capacity for years on my launch 20GB hard drive. I love Halo but I'm still not upgrading. This sucks massively. I didn't play a ton of Reach MP but I still played. Guess I'll be going from years of Halo 1-3 to barely a week with Halo 4.
"A $3 flash drive is where I draw a line in the sand, people!"

I have a 16GB flash drive just sitting here. If you PM me your shipping address I'll send it to you. I'm completely serious.

Vire

If this means higher quality assets and textures, I'm all for it.

Shame though, I only have a 20 gig one but I'll manage to find a way...

This is even crazier:

It's possible that the recently revealed Spartan Ops campaign, which will eventually feature 12 "incremental" hours across 50 missions, will increase required HDD space even further.

I guess I'll get a bigger HD... :/

for those not flipping out about having the use a flash drive, i have this plugged into the back of my 360 and it works great (i used it for installing and running skyrim and halo anniversary).

i got it so i could have it plugged into the back of my 360, which sits in a media cabinet, and never have to touch it...basically it is just another HDD for me.

41-uffpWrbL.jpg

16GB on amazon, smaller than a coin...$12.50

LTWood12

"A $3 flash drive is where I draw a line in the sand, people!"

I have a 16GB flash drive just sitting here. If you PM me your shipping address I'll send it to you. I'm completely serious.

Just when I when I thought the folks on GAF couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this....AND TOTALLY REDEEM IT! STILL WANT TO GO TO ASPEN?!

Seriously though, that's really nice of you.

Yup it's either this or buy a new HDD. Or maybe a 16GB USB stick which we are not even sure if that will work.

Either way it's that or spending more money on top of Halo 4.

I understand this is frustrating to the people this affects, and that it's kind of annoying for everyday people (and kids) who don't know much about this, or won't even know until after buying the game, but look...

http://blog.yellowchilli.net/2010/04/xbox-360-usb-stick-flash-drive.html

A quick Google search (the first result, too) gives us a list of approved USB sticks. Yeah, it's 2 years old, but I'm sure you can work with it.
I'm willing to reason with people saying this is frustrating, but the level of complaining here is a little excessive. Being the cynic that I am, I should have seen this coming clicking on this thread.

It's far from ideal, but it isn't limiting the size Halo 4.

The relative absence of HD FMV is where it's fallen down.

It is a problem with games that use it. However, I really wish no games would use it anymore, except for maybe in-engine rendered cutscenes used to mask loading times. CG cutscenes, one the most useless additions to video games.

I loved them as a kid, I'll admit that, but it was the 90s, that shit was still mindblowing back then.

Suitable tag.

Yep, keep ignoring the facts. You don't have to buy their overpriced HDDs. You don't even have to give them a cent when you can get a third-party HDD or flash drive.

This is not Microsoft enforcing the use of larger HDDs to make a quick buck. They've actually done the exact opposite during the whole generation, letting people with Arcade models play almost everything without penalties. In fact, they have been criticised for that, and rightly so. Out of all the design decisions they made at the beginning of the generation, the lack of standard HDD has been the one thing that has held back 360 games the most. I can't believe that, all of places, it would be here that people would complain about something that can only be beneficial. Having to pay 5€ for a better experience? Absolutely ludicrous, I know.

Smokey

So much whining in this thread. This gen is winding it's down and these consoles are being pushed to the edge. Concessions have to be made, in this case installing 8GB to the HDD OR $7 8GB USB drive. They already said they've done their homework on how many this will effect, and the number is very small.

If you can't stomach $7 then maybe you shouldn't be spending your 'discretionary income' on games. Or you could just not buy the game at all to 'fight the man'. Either way dealwitit. If this is what had to be done to get the most optimal performance than so be it.

Draconian

I love this thread. I mean heaven forbid somebody with a 20 GB harddrive actually be expected to delete some games to make room for this. You guys crack me up. If you have a 20 GB HDD, really want to play the MP, and really don't want to upgrade, please stop acting like you won't find a way to make it work.

So much whining in this thread. This gen is winding it's down and these consoles are being pushed to the edge. Concessions have to be made, in this case installing 8GB to the HDD OR $7 8GB USB drive. They already said they've done their homework on how many this will effect, and the number is very small.

If you can't stomach $7 then maybe you shouldn't be spending your 'discretionary income' on games. Or you could just not buy the game at all to 'fight the man'. Either way dealwitit. If this is what had to be done to get the most optimal performance than so be it.

This makes too much sense.

Vire

To be fair to the 20 Gig owners, it isn't going to be just 8 gigs.

The Spartan Ops missions will require additional space, and then if you get invested in the multiplayer you are talking even more space for future map pack DLC.

So you might literally have to delete every single thing on your harddrive if you want the "optimal" Halo experience. Which the press release states that the "optimal" experience is only achieved through a 360 harddrive.

Xbox said:
At a minimum, you’ll need at least an 8GB USB Flash Drive or an Xbox 360 Hard Drive to play Multiplayer mode in Halo 4. For an optimal experience playing with an Xbox 360 Hard Drive is highly recommended. For Xbox 360 4GB, Arcade and Core consoles, the Xbox 360 Hard Drive is sold separately. See below for more details on the storage device options available for Xbox 360 and Halo 4.

Note that they didn't say Flashdrive for optimal.

Plus it's a hassle. But I think the trade off is worth it in the long run if we get higher resolution assets.

Top Bottom