• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - mandatory 8GB install for MP

rozay

Banned
You don't need to buy one of microsoft's expensive hard drives, just get a 8 or 16gb flash drive for a fraction of the price and call it a day.

Hell, by the time halo 4 is out, hard drive prices will be back to levels where it'll be cheaper to buy a generic WD drive and flash it with 360 firmware.

EvB

I'm suprised any 20GB 360s are still alive and kicking to be honest.

I can't imagine that this will of been a decision that will of been taken lightly, I bet they can prove from the LIVE data that this will negatively effect such a tiny proportion of people that it would actually be UNFAIR to the people who have hard drives to have to degrade the experience in some way.

To be honest, I prefer this option over having seperate discs.
It was quite annoying with ODST, switching between the campaign disc and the Halo 3 Multiplayer disc with the extra maps, especially if you had an invited from one to the other.

Besides if you were enough of a Halo player to actually care for Multiplayer, then you'd want to have a Hard Drive so you could download and play spartan ops and the multiplayer maps that are due to arrive at some point.
Although I guess they could of put all that content on the disc and locked you out of it....
Hello Capcom!

Where were the people complaining your needed a hard drive to install the 2nd disc of Forza 3 or the "proper" textures for Battlefield 3?
Next you'll be having people complain that they need Hard Drive space to like, download game demos and XBLA titles.

I think some people are overreacting a bit. This is a problem with an inexpensive solution, and it's only a problem for a small group of people I'm sure.

Why is this even "news"? Seriously? A mandatory 8 gig install? Now that everyone can get some sort of USB stick and use it to install the game?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Sounds like you weren't really excited for it to begin with if deleting some content on your HDD bothers you this much.

enough that i was going to buy it i own all the others except for odst but if they are going to pull this bullshit they can go eat a big one the most ill do is way far down the line ill pick it up for $20 for the single player

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
locks me out of multiplayer fuck them i wont buy it then

Get a bigger hard drive. If you bought a 4GB Xbox fully knowing that it is marketed as an XBLA/Kinect box that's on you. Anyone relatively serious about playing hardcore games would never own a 4GB Xbox.

If you have an old 20GB that's a bit different. It's an odd scenario for MS to begin to enforce now, but I see it as a precursor to the "hard drive required for all games" announcement with the next Xbox. In this case a 16GB USB stick is only $10.

Come on, man. Every PS2 game required a memory card, if every Xbox 360 game required a memory card to play online multiplayer, I could see how your comparison would make sense.

You don't find it unfortunate that a percentage of the people purchasing Halo 4 won't be able to play its online multiplayer without having to go out and get a memory card?

Its unfortunate, but its also why i think the 4gig or less Xbox shouldn't even exist. Its a piece of shit. I mean come on, they couldn't even put a 20gig in there at minimum?? It costs practically nothing for 20 gigs at the very least. Thats MS pulling a bonehead MS move.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Get a bigger hard drive. If you bought a 4GB Xbox fully knowing that it is marketed as an XBLA/Kinect box that's on you. Anyone relatively serious about playing hardcore games would never own a 4GB Xbox.

If you have an old 20GB that's a bit different. It's an odd scenario for MS to begin to enforce now, but I see it as a precursor to the "hard drive required for all games" announcement with the next Xbox. In this case a 16GB USB stick is only $10.

i have the launch 20 gig

enough that i was going to buy it i own all the others except for odst but if they are going to pull this bullshit they can go eat a big one the most ill do is way far down the line ill pick it up for $20 for the single player
You skipped ODST? That game was awesome.

How much does a 16GB USB drive cost these days?

You could even get three of them and fill every USB slot.
Mmm sounds dirty

plc268

Just get a bigger hard drive people... then you'll be able to install all your games to the hard drive. Makes load times much more bearable for most games.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Just get a bigger hard drive people... then you'll be able to install all your games to the hard drive. Makes load times much more bearable for most games.

"just spend 100 dollars, guys, its easy, and makes things better for you"

MMaRsu

Banned
Lol so confirmed no sale unless you want to upgrade your HDD to more than 13gb ( LOL ).

Fuck you MS.

KageMaru

So why does this bother you so much? How is it bullshit when it's A) easily and cheaply remedied and B) effects such a small percentage of the user base.

Honest questions since I have a hard time understanding how something can be bullshit if it benefits the game itself.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Emitan

If they've made it this far and with the next system in all likelyhood launching in 2013 what's the point? They'd basically be buying it for one game.

Curufinwe

How much does a 16GB USB drive cost these days?

You could even get three of them and fill every USB slot.

ainTe.png

They should include an 8GB memory card with the data pre-installed along with new copies of the game.

Except if Halo 4 requires an 8GB install, an 8GB memory card/usb stick won't cut it. So they would have to include a 16GB card.

MS wouldn't even give away a 2GB let alone anything higher lol. Out of the big three, MS is the one that nickels and dimes it's consumers the most.

It does make me consider dropping Xbox altogether, but that will not happen anytime soon. XBL rules :(

MMaRsu

Banned
Or you get a USB drive.

Yeah..NO

If I was even going to buy this game because the MP looks barely passable and the campaign doesn't look THAT interesting to me yet I am certainly not planning on spending more on extra stuff just to play it.

I'll already have to cough up 20 euro's for a 4 month goldcard and then buy another usb drive just so I can play it?

Nah screw this.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah..NO

If I was even going to buy this game because the MP looks barely passable and the campaign doesn't look THAT interesting to me yet I am certainly not planning on spending more on extra stuff just to play it.

I'll already have to cough up 20 euro's for a 4 month goldcard and then buy another usb drive just so I can play it?

Nah screw this.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Flash-Drive-SDCZ36-016G-B35/dp/B001XURP8G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1341333373&sr=8-3&keywords=16gb+flash+drive

To each their own I guess.

Boss Man

It's just like memory cards on PS2, lol? Come on... You buy a PS2, and you get some PS2 memory cards because that's how saves work on the system. Everyone had memory cards. The game boxes even had a little slot to hold them, now that I think about it. Buying an external hard drive for one game because it's been built beyond the capabilities of the Xbox you bought to play Xbox games is a bit different.

I'm not sure that it's a huge deal though. If you want to play Halo 4 online you also need to have a Gold account, and if you have a Gold account you probably have a hard drive and/or will be willing to go and get a USB stick.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
All it tells me is that there is plenty of game to play, if you don't have the space I could see how it would be a minor inconvenience. But for the most part I would think this would sound like a good thing to people considering it means more content.

Fox Mulder

The 360 is picky with what it will use though. I bought one that failed the test but works fine on everything else I use it for. I wish MS would allow for more than 16GB stocks though.

I also got my 250 gb hdd off ebay for $60 like a year ago, and it even came with the slim enclosure. I don't see this as a problem.

It's just like memory cards on PS2, lol? Come on...

I think this is quite a bit different, but I'm not sure that it's a huge deal. If you want to play Halo 4 online you also need to have a Gold account, and if you have a Gold account you probably have a hard drive and/or will be willing to go and get a USB stick.

If you're willing to play Halo4 online, you probably play shooters online to begin with, downloaded maps and already have that shit. What does suck tho, is that they dont make the "free" spartan Ops dlc available to Silver members who wanna play alone. How is it free if you have to get Gold to play alone. Thats just being an asshole.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Having to buy something alongside the game won't exactly get you more sales, let's just keep it at that.

Oh, agreed. But how many people are going to be in that situation? If you have a 4GB Xbox you don't have much of an excuse. Those 20GB systems are less and less, but these are the folks that have the most legitimate concerns. If you are into gaming, and into Halo I don't see an issue grabbing a $5-$10 stick when you go grab your game though.

so......thread in review:

$14 16GB flash drive: So expensive i cannot possibly afford it or save for it in the next 4 months in order to play my Halo.

$60 Halo Game: Cannot pay for it due to previous $16 restriction.

You people are bad at money.

ironcreed

Banned
If you only have a 4GB 360 then you were already asking to run out of room regardless if this game was on your radar or not. If you have a 20GB and are out of space, then just delete an install or something.

MMaRsu

Banned

I'm not from the US and I never order online..

Cheapest one near me is 16 euro's.

If you only have a 4GB 360 then you were already asking to run out of room regardless if this game was on your radar or not. If you have a 20GB and are out of space, then just delete an install or something.

Deleting Prince of Persia leaves me with 4.5gb extra room. With RB disc install which I can't delete cause I don't have it anymore and other DLC which I don't wanna go through the trouble of redownloading everything.. 13gb just sucks period. Cause it's not even 20gb.

so......thread in review:

$14 16GB flash drive: So expensive i cannot possibly afford it or save for it in the next 4 months in order to play my Halo.

$60 Halo Game: Cannot pay for it due to previous $16 restriction.

You people are bad at money.

I think it also has to do with the principle of the thing. You buy a console, you expect to be able to play games without jumping through a million goddamn hoops.

Jensen

lol I still only have a 20gb hard drive.

Not a big deal, Halo 4 will probably be my last 360 game and the only one I'll play after it launches.

Having to buy something alongside the game won't exactly get you more sales, let's just keep it at that.

I doubt it will say on the front cover "Requires mandatory 8GB install!".

Most people will find out when they open the game and pop in the disc and most will say "aww shucks, time to get more memory" while a few will complain.

Overdoziz

Banned

Most people will find out when they open the game and pop in the disc and most will say "aww shucks, time to get more memory" while a few will complain.
"Aw this sucks, I'm trading this in for Black Ops 2"

343/MS have done their homework, I'm sure they've calculated that this will not adversely affect them in any significant way.

Yeah. I doubt this will honestly affect more than a couple of thousand of people but I still feel that there should be something in place for those people. If they said something like "we'll sell you an 8Gb thumb stick and include a code for the first map pack for a tenner".

KageMaru

It say it somewhere on the game case, no way are they going to let people find out about that on their own.

Top Bottom