• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

GhaleonEB

I'd like to see an actual breakdown of XP earned after each game. Often the tally says ~2,500 and I'll earn something like 5,000, and I'm left wondering what happened.

GhaleonEB

Commendations or something, usually.

I figure it's Commendations and Challenges. But I'd like to know how much they're contributing. I really have no idea. Seems like a strange lapse, to have an XP tally by category at the end and then not include a few of the categories.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I figure it's Commendations and Challenges. But I'd like to know how much they're contributing. I really have no idea. Seems like a strange lapse, to have an XP tally by category at the end and then not include a few of the categories.
The amount not accounted for is exactly the sum of all the challenges you completed while in the match. And yes, it is stupid and strange that it's not accounted for in the post-game summary screen.

JB1981

I have seen maybe one player - ONE - use hardlight shield and that is no exaggeration. I believe it may be because players are unlocking other abilities first .... I still have yet to unlock it and gaining points as you rank up gets harder and harder. I mean, I'm not bad or anything. I have a positive k/d ratio and have won most of my games. In fact, this is the best I have ever been at a Halo game online. I'm not sure what that says about Halo 4 (lol) but I am not complaining.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I have seen maybe one player - ONE - use hardlight shield and that is no exaggeration. I believe it may be because players are unlocking other abilities first .... I still have yet to unlock it and gaining points as you rank up gets harder and harder. I mean, I'm not bad or anything. I have a positive k/d ratio and have won most of my games. In fact, this is the best I have ever been at a Halo game online. I'm not sure what that says about Halo 4 (lol) but I am not complaining.
I use it in KotH.

The problem with Hardlight Shield is that it requires teamwork to use most efficiently. And people are dimwits. Together, it makes it less effective. I still try to pop it open whenever I can to give some teammates or the hill some mobile cover but most of the time people don't want to do the whole teamwork thing.

JB1981

I use it in KotH.

The problem with Hardlight Shield is that it requires teamwork to use most efficiently. And people are dimwits. Together, it makes it less effective. I still try to pop it open whenever I can to give some teammates or the hill some mobile cover but most of the time people don't want to do the whole teamwork thing.

right after i made my post i was thinking "maybe it's because i never play koth." heh

How can you even get the 'Bros to the Close'-achievement? These Marines just get killed in an onslaught of Promethean turrets, crawlers and knights.

EDIT: Huh, got lucky. Once I got them all to that Firefight-section, they did an admirable job, and after Cortana's "YOU DO YOUR JOB AND I'LL DO MINE, OKAY?" the next wave didn't seem to trigger.

How can you even get the 'Bros to the Close'-achievement? These Marines just get killed in an onslaught of Promethean turrets, crawlers and knights.
Definitely do it coop!
Make sure you kill the watchers before they spawn the turrets.
Once you take over the door, use the turrets to defend the door.

Are you using a plasma pistol to take out the elites quick?

There's no Elites in that section, only Prometheans. The toughest part is getting them to the door they have to defend: they'll rush forward and get killed if you're not careful. I took care of the Knight and Watchers first, then took out the turrets and let them deal with the Crawlers. Once we reached the doors, they set up at the barricades, two of them taking place behind a turret and the four others providing fire support. At that point it's just hoping the Knights and Crawlers don't get too close.

For some reason, though, it felt like that part was over a lot quicker than usual. Instead of the next wave I remember being triggered after Cortana tells you to do your job, the game instead told me to go and pick her up instead. Achievement unlocked.

Definitely do it coop!
Make sure you kill the watchers before they spawn the turrets.
Once you take over the door, use the turrets to defend the door.

Did it solo.

875uhp1kim.gif

1. Be pro.
2. Don't not be pro.

Pro.

875uhp1kim.gif

jediyoshi

No it doesn't. I've had quite a lot matches ending up with 3000+ and I'm not even good at this game yet.
Mostly play king of the hill, btb and dominion btw.

Can you pull up stats for a match you've gotten over 3k in for those? I barely pull off 2500+ when getting first in matches for any wargames gametype.

I just got a bug where I couldn't see my custom classes in select loadout, but modify loadout worked just fine.
The only classes in select loadout where the map specific ones.

EDIT: Oh it says I am SR1. Wtf?

Checkpoints in campaign really suck. I just went through an entire section on 'Forerunner', got killed when an Elite hijacked me, and the game sent me back almost five minutes.
Only five? I've been set back 20-30 before in sections that require total clearing before giving you a new checkpoint. I agree it sucks though.

There's no Elites in that section, only Prometheans. The toughest part is getting them to the door they have to defend: they'll rush forward and get killed if you're not careful. I took care of the Knight and Watchers first, then took out the turrets and let them deal with the Crawlers. Once we reached the doors, they set up at the barricades, two of them taking place behind a turret and the four others providing fire support. At that point it's just hoping the Knights and Crawlers don't get too close.

For some reason, though, it felt like that part was over a lot quicker than usual. Instead of the next wave I remember being triggered after Cortana tells you to do your job, the game instead told me to go and pick her up instead. Achievement unlocked.
Oh sorry! I confused it for the spartan ops chievo.

exYle

lol - yeah, no.

The stat I remember from Halo Reach (coming from someone with access to the backend numbers) is that something like 85% of all players had K/D ratios below 1.0.

If your K/D is 1.7, you're nowhere NEAR average.

...oh.
Well I just checked again... Is 1.64 average? :3

Fuchsdh

Minor nitpick of the day: 343i, next time pair skins with armor sets that can show them. It's kind of hard to get good contrast for the web skin given that there's a huge center section of the chestplate that breaks up the design.

fullbody

NekoFever

Checkpoints in campaign really suck. I just went through an entire section on 'Forerunner', got killed when an Elite hijacked me, and the game sent me back almost five minutes.
The most annoying one I had was when I hit a checkpoint just before one of those long corridors they use to disguise a load. When I died in the battle at the end of it I had to wait for it to load the last area, then run down that tunnel again so it could load the area where I died, and repeat every time I failed.

And there was one where it saved when I was almost out of ammo with Prometheans and Crawlers everywhere. Took me about half an hour of running away and using guerrilla hit-and-run tactics, and even then I only made it because I got lucky with enemy positions and was able to run to the next area.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Bah.

Just played through Requiem on Legendary, for the challenge.

I finished it, and Waypoint knows I finished it... but no challenge. :(

I'm not that interested in doing it again right now.

Bleh.
I did Gagarin(SpOps) on Legendary the day it came out and it didn't give me the XP for the Challenge even though it shows I beat it, yeah...

Tzeentch

-- The fact that weapons on the ground vanish super fast (unlike every other Halo) makes some sections of Legendary WAY harder than they need to be. Not because of the enemies per se, but because you can be down to 2 rounds of carbine ammo and a single needle and there are NO weapons around to use.

-- The fact that weapons on the ground vanish super fast (unlike every other Halo) makes some sections of Legendary WAY harder than they need to be. Not because of the enemies per se, but because you can be down to 2 rounds of carbine ammo and a single needle and there are NO weapons around to use.
The hardest part of Legendary for me too.

Surely you will let us know what occurred.

When the Pelican picks you up halfway through 'Infinity', the screen fades to black. When you get out of the Pelican, you're carrying an AR and a DMR, regardless of what you were carrying beforehand.

Oh well. Tank beats everything.

Hey 343, ditch Davidge for the next Halo please. The best track on the OST isn't even his.

If you want someone awesome, get Jack Wall or Sam Hulick. Get some Mass Effect vibes up in there.

I'm serious. If 343 gets Sam Hulick to do it, and gets him to work closely with the cutscene team as well, I will travel to 343's studios and shake each and every one of their hands.

Trey

Hey 343, ditch Davidge for the next Halo please. The best track on the OST isn't even his.

If you want someone awesome, get Jack Wall or Sam Hulick.

I'm familiar with Jack Wall's work. I want no parts of it in Halo.

Davidge did fine. It's not the worst Halo OST (and all of them are good).

KSai

Dropped weapons in Halo shouldn't disappear. That's a core change in design philosophy on part of 343.

I'm familiar with Jack Wall's work. I want no parts of it in Halo.

Davidge did fine. It's not the worst Halo OST (and all of them are good).

117's the best track on there, and it's not even composed by him. Green and Blue is amazing, too, but it's not even used in the game.

If they stick with Davidge, they have to spend the extra dough on flying him in and getting him to score the actual game, instead of some Vidocs and Terminals and then using that music for your game.

Dropped weapons in Halo shouldn't disappear. That's a core change in design philosophy on part of 343.
Not just Halo. Any shooter. I can't think of one I played that I ran into this issue. Hopefully it was done to save memory for other things rather than a gameplay choice and we won't have to worry about it in 5.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Not just Halo. Any shooter. I can't think of one I played that I ran into this issue. Hopefully it was done to save memory for other things rather than a gameplay choice and we won't have to worry about it in 5.
I think it's still a worry.. if they justified sacrificing weapons for memory before, they could do it again.

Trey

117's the best track on there, and it's not even composed by him. Green and Blue is amazing, too, but it's not even used in the game.

If they stick with Davidge, they have to spend the extra dough on flying him in and getting him to score the actual game, instead of some Vidocs and Terminals and then using that music for your game.

On its own, I think the soundtrack is pretty great. It doesn't work in the game because you can barely hear it, and they didn't integrate the entire soundtrack, as you said. The mixing was a let down, but I don't think it's an actual issue with the OST, because when it works, it works.

Are the Ordnance HUD locations glitched in larger games for the majority of you guys too? I think most of the people I've talked to have issues with Personal Ordnance not appearing on your HUD along with regular ones around the map..

So finally got around to starting a legendary run last night with two buddies. The first few missions were God Tier co-op: We all organically defined our roles, acquired various weapons and armor abilities and knew how best to use them, as a team, to overcome our enemies. Short of a few encounters (like first facing an area with banshees and ghosts out to kill you among other things), we were a rolling thunder of destruction and (god damned gorgeous) good times.

That was, until we reached the mission that never fails to suck all the oxygen out of the room and leave us disappointed and frustrated: Reclaimer.
Now I've already bitched about this level from previous runs - one solo and one 2 player co-op heroic. Both times the scripting led to needless hilari-bad deaths and just shitty battles in general, but nowhere is that clearer than in Legendary, and a party of three Spartans doesn't really improve things.

So specifically, I'm talking about the part where the lich temporarily fries the Mammoth and you have to fight (far too fucking many) ghosts and wraiths while waiting for the lich to get into position before boarding it and blowing up its glowy spot.

Lets set the scene: 2 Ghosts and a Wraith, followed by another pair of ghosts and a wraith, followed by yet another of the same, and yes, even more.

What are you armed with? Tons of Assault Rifle ammo on the Mammoth, along with a good supply of Battle Rifle mags. In terms of anti-vehicular armaments, you can grab the sniper and maybe 15 extra shots, a rocket launcher with maybe one extra load of rockets, two rocket turrets mounted on the Mammoth itself, a Gauss warthog, and a chaingun Warthog. Sounds decent.

But here's the rub: By the time you make it to this encounter, chances are that the Mammoth's rocket turrets are both blown to shit, since they're deathtraps on legendary. Those rockets and the sniper? Well you did have to acquire the target locator in one set piece, and blow up several generators in another, both of which were guarded by wraiths and ghosts, so those are either gone or have a scant few shots remaining at best. If you were actually using the chaingun warthog, its probably not in the best of shape either, but lets assume its good to go.

This encounter does start you off with a gauss hog by the front of the mammoth, but its very soon destroyed as it stands there, as was the case when we found ourselves in this particular Halo shaped hell.

It went like this. "Hey guys, there's a Gauss hog down there by the Mammoth. See it? *BAWOOOOM*. OK, well, scratch that I guess".

Besides that? An ammo check showed we had one rocket, maybe 4 sniper shots, a gun hog and three BR wielding Spartans, against nigh endless ghosts and wraiths.

I know the last time I brought this mission up here I was told that its very simple if you do either grab the gauss hog or jack a wraith. Well, like I said, our gauss hog was already toasted seconds after we got to this encounter, so we opted to try plan B: Jack the wraith.

Cue the first bloody attempt where my buddy jumps on the front of the wraith and gets torn to shit by the gunner. Funny as hell, but lesson learned. We take out the gunner first and try it again (dying tons of times mind you from all the ghosts cutting our attempts to get close to the tank down, and the psychic tank itself lobbing balls of death everywhere). OK, we get on the front, and we only get a prompt to blow it up with a grenade. Holding X drops us back off the tank - we don't want to destroy it, we want to jack it. Obviously we're doing something wrong.

I try to attack it from the rear, and get the same prompt. We decide it has to be the sides we need - and sure enough my buddy sees the prompt to "board" the wraith, but when he does this, he attaches and is only given the option to plant a grenade.

We tried to jack those wraiths I don't even know how many times, but it was way too damn many. All the while tackling ghosts with Battle Rifles. All the while getting blown apart by tanks with pinpoint accuracy and huge splashes of insta-death. All the while knowing that even if we got lucky, there were a few waves of the same to come.

We even tried to just avoid the ground battle entirely, jetpack to the hill and sabotage the lich, but it doesn't drop low enough until you have a bloody enough fight with the ghosts and wraiths below. There are no weapons up there either. Nothing that could help out here. Now I'm not sure exactly what the trigger was, but after about 40 minutes and taking out a random wraith gunner, it dropped its baggage of covenant and activated its grav lift. We got on board, blew up the weak spot and jumped out, hoping we'd never, ever, ever have to play this encounter again.

Who the hell designed this? Why do we get a gimped target locator here? Why not providing us more anti-vehicular weaponry here? Why not provide some options besides rocket turrets and a gauss hog, both of which can be annihilated by one moment of bad luck, or through a scripted attack, leaving the players with, well, next to nothing.

I love this game, but fuck that level. Seriously. And this isn't even getting into the scripting bugs, the random setup for the Librarian story dump, and the subsequent random teleport into the middle of a tank battle. Worst level in Halo history? I think so.

SMH. SMH. SMH.

Moving on...

Edit: Had the mission named wrong. D'oh. Thanks for the correction.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
lol - the other thing to remember is that 15% of a few million people is still a SHITLOAD of people.

You might be in the top few percent - but there are plenty of folks you'll meet that will wipe the floor with you.

1v1 me bro.

What SR Rank is everybody up to now?

Just hit 42. Can't wait to start on Pioneer later. I think that should be an obvious investment considering the mileage you can get out of SpOps at the same time.

think i hit 41 yesterday. thats when you get your 5th loadout?

So tired of grenade damage radius being so small. A grenade can blow up 4 feet away and does nothing.

its funny people keep saying the nades suck in 4, and compared to reach, i'm sure they do... but i'll be damned if i havent gotten a lot more grenade kills in 4 then i typically would in reach. it seems that way anyways. maybe its because grenades seem to go where i want them to go in 4, whereas in reach i never quite learned how they'd settle out after bouncing?

they are definitely not as forgiving as past halo games.

Camo and Promethean vision are perfect for my cautious and defensive playstyle. I'm shocked at how aggressive players generally are, racking up 15+ kills while accumulating an equal number of deaths or more. It's amazing how a smart, defensive team can create a meat grinder for the more aggressive opponent in this iteration of Halo.

camo is just so god damned cheap. i'm a slow cautious player. camo would probably suit my playing style VERY well, but i just cant do it. PV doesnt bother me at all though. dont think its overpowered in the slightest.

Top Bottom