• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

Wollveren

Banned
I am cynical because of how terrible the previous iteration was. It does not mater if it was their first game,they knew that fans would not like it. Sprint messes with the map flow and therefore messing with how Halo is suppose to play. Changes can happen but not copying others. You cant balance sprint since maps are made with it in mind therefore you can only appeal to one option. The guy did not press left trigger , i bet tomorrow we will see it.

It honestly was not that bad, but you're not here to argue that so lets move on. Sprint(?), the question that needs an answer :S

Basically this is how I see it, the game needs to change, that is a FACT, how much or in what way is all that we can discuss. Sprint is the best way of changing the game because it is really easy to balance it, you're not looking at the big picture, all you see is "sprint affects the map". That is true, you can never really balance sprint around the map, without changing the fundamental feel, but you could do other things such as punish those who use sprint.

I can think of all sorts of things which comes to mind:
-Shooting an enemy who is sprinting causes him to move slower than at a normal pace
-Shields+health cannot recharge whilst sprinting
-Making sprint way less agile, harder to turn corners etc...
-Shooting/meleeing from sprint takes way longer than normal

These are all the ways I can see sprint being implemented, not being TOO OP on these smallish maps, keeping halo fresh and different but still the same, and not giving too much reward for those who use sprint before/during/around combat.

Also I hate this mentality of "Changes can happen but not copying others.". Sprint is not something limited to COD and I don't see why implementing it means Halo is simply copying COD. Soldiers can sprint, that is a fact, I don't see why this augmented super soldiers couldn't do the same either.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I keep seeing this. Where are you getting this impression? Descope's back, equal starts are back, they've apparently put the emphasis back on map control... yeah, there's sprint, but that doesn't equate to "learned nothing."

They took out load outs. Then added ADS. So they learned nothing. Still taking (the wrong) cues from CoD.

Paradicia

Anyone else think the ADS for the assault rifle looks really weird?

7O3nYSd.png

Sprint and ADS in Halo 5...

Great work 343. Also, a fat LOL to those people claiming people disappointed with this are part of some Sony conspiracry. Riiiiiiiiiight. Many of us are oldtime Halo fans, which is why seeing what 343 is doing bothers us a bit more.

It's still zoom, just looks different.

This thread...

Can't wait for the reveal tomorrow.

I'm undecided on sprint though. I guess I can live with both having or not having it. The shield compromise sounds cool though. That might work out. Is this confirmed?

7O3nYSd.png

I don't think that's ADS. Looks like the player dashes forward.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Halo 5 is alive.

I don't like anything that pauses aim and shoot. Sprint could be made to work much better than in Reach or 4, but I cant see the point of sprint if there is thrust all round.

Who took the camera in with them? Are they throwing lan parties with prototypes now, inviting the neighborhood, their good friends from college? I realize it's a laid back industry, but wow.

Kalamari

I still don't understand why there is ADS in Halo, canonically speaking it seems like a step back in terms of technology. Gameplay-wise, it just clutters up the screen and hampers vision.

cheezcake

Is there any movement tagging on sprint?

i.e. if you're getting shot while sprinting do you get slowed down, maybe even forced to go back to normal pace?

Oh yeh I will. Halo 2 is the best and I have no problem playing that over this shit if it's anything like 4. Doesn't mean I can't voice my concerns and mourn the on going death of the Halo franchise. You're acting like an fps can't get by these days without sprint lol

i just dont see how sprint is a negative design choice? it speeds up the action and map traversal, especially in arena style FPS's (Unreal Torni anyone?) Halo 4 had some major issues that broke the Halo formula but permanent sprint wasnt one of them imo.

JdFoX187

Banned
It's been proven time and time again that sprint doesn't work in Halo. And 343i including it again shows to me that they still don't care even after the Halo 4 fuck-up.

Call me cynical too, but 343i has yet to show me as to why I should trust them with not fucking up a new mainline Halo game.

And needs change? Change for the sake of change isn't a good thing!

Sprint worked just fine in Reach, which was second only to Halo 2 in MP. I'd rather have that than be saddled with the slow ass player movement speed we've had to endure since Halo 3 without any sort of sprint. Halo 4 had its issues, but it had nothing to do with sprint and everything to do with the additional shit on top of it and the bad maps.

This thread...

I'm undecided on sprint though. I guess I can live with both having or not having it. The shield compromise sounds cool though. That might work out. Is this confirmed?

CSGO did something similar with their scoped weapons. They went from just a big zoom to an optical scope. Of course people complained about the changes and made the CoD comparisons but it was only a visual thing and everyone got over it fairly quickly.

Wollveren

Banned
Wait is there ADS or not

We still don't know, and under what context. We know that in the clip, the BR's "ADS" is simply an new cosmetic change to the way you scope. But someone here said (Shinobi) that there is ADS on a lot of the weapons, which I really don't buy into because I don't see any iron sights on AR, and none of the clips show any ADS on any other weapon bar the BR.

Caayn

I'd like some links. I don't feel it's been proven at all. The fact that I'm a fan of it and have played since Xbox's original launch says otherwise.
K2Five from the Halo Council (rip) does a great job at explaining the impact sprint has on Halo's gameplay.
It pains me to know that there are people out there that don't fully understand the effects that sprint have on the game.
It goes a lot deeper than someone sprinting away one shot and not dying, it goes a lot deeper than someone sprinting off spawn to finish you off when you were still one-shot from the last battle, and it goes a lot deeper than 'its just copying COD'
It completely fucks with scale - that is the issue. Please describe to me a perfect map for sprint, a map that would work better scaled up for sprint, instead of left normal for no sprint. Does such a thing even exist? Can a map possibly be better made for sprint and with sprint, than made for no sprint and without sprint? No, its impossible.
Geometry has to be scaled to the abilities of spartans; the jump height, how far you can strafe in 1 second, how far you can throw a grenade, a grenade explosion radius, the effective range of your starting weapon, how long it takes you to move from one piece of cover to the next, all of this stuff, is extremely important to how the game plays. Yet it is all thrown to the wayside in favor of making sprint work. Maps have to be scaled up (aka overscaled in relation to all previous factors) to account for sprint.
Gandhi has talked about this before; the lack of power positions, but he wrongfully accused the killtimes as the culprit. While slow killtimes don't help, sprint is what really ruins power positions. I have used this example before but I will use it again:
Pink on Midship in Halo 2/Heretic in Halo 3. That was a true power position and functioned as such, but no matter what we do we haven't been able to replicate the power and feel of the power position in anything we have made since that game. Why is that? Its because of sprint, nothing else has fundamentally changed the game as much as sprint has since then. Currently not even top middle on dispatch rivals the power and counter-strategies (which are equally important to consider) that pink provided.
When you held pink in H2, you had effective means of gunning down your foes as they walked from the base to pink. There was a relatively long journey to make from the cover of the base, to the cover of pink. This meant that it was dangerous as you had to expose yourself for a long period of time to be able to take the tower over. What this meant for the person holding pink, is that as long as they periodically checked the walkways to pink, they were free to shoot from pink and deal damage across map. But what happens when you add sprint? That long journey is now a quick one, you can now make it into or under pink alive even if the guy at pink was looking at you, the guy holding pink now has to constantly check the walkways to pink, instead of just periodically, which means he now cant shoot from there without the serious risk of someone backsmacking him or gunning him down from the side. He also has to have 'internal' battles with people sprinting at pink more often, than actually using the power position. This is why top mid of dispatch, and even pink and gold of simplex, are such clusterfucks and pale in comparison to the gameplay that pink provided in Halo 2.
The fix to this issue some say, is to scale the map up. Make those walkways to pink longer so that it is still along journey to make even with sprint. But that creates two issues:
1) Lessens the effect of shooting from pink - if the rest of the map is further away, the power position has less presence and effect on the map because you cant do as much damage or get as many angles (imagine if pink on simplex was pushed back an extra half-map length, goodbye angles into bases)
2) Over-punishes the attackers. If you make it so a distance is a long one for sprinters, that means it will be impossible to walk. it also means you cant freaking shoot while you push. It makes balancing any area of the map extremely difficult as it needs to be large enough so that you can track players and so that power positions are actually power positions, but not large enough that it disables attackers in such away (not to mention any up-scaling fucks with the scale of all the other combat components I mentioned earlier).
And the 'but you get slowed down when you get shot' argument doesnt fix ANY of these absolutely serious issues.
Remove sprint now.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

7O3nYSd.png

Don't be ridiculous. This post should be ban worthy. Seriously. Why would you take a screen of a moment when the player is running that makes it look like he could POSSIBLY be aiming down the sights?

Trolling of the highest order right here.

I still don't understand why there is ADS in Halo, canonically speaking it seems like a step back in terms of technology. Gameplay-wise, it just clutters up the screen and hampers vision.

If they wanted to stick to canon wouldn't the Mister Chiefs just be zoomed in on something and see a crosshair. It'd be like playing the whole game with the stuck perspective of Area 51 with no light gun. I think ADS is kinda the concession they made to make it viable and fun to actually use. I'm okay with it.

Jito

Banned
i just dont see how sprint is a negative design choice? it speeds up the action and map traversal, especially in arena style FPS's (Unreal Torni anyone?) Halo 4 had some major issues that broke the Halo formula but permanent sprint wasnt one of them imo.

Cause they have to design generally larger maps to allow players to sprint. The smallest maps on 4 we're bigger than small maps on the older games. The map design in 4 was terrible, worst in the series so if that's anything to go off...

Good to know that ADS is only just a cosmetic something no problems with that.
Because if you want to waste 1 or 2 shots to go into ADS gives me pretty much a free kill.

Now i just want to know if sprint and spartan abilities have penalties like draining shield or stop shield recovery.

343N

Neo Member
Yeah let's all yell and scream and make wild accusations at some low res videos about 5 seconds and cancel pre orders and never play Halo again even though there's gonna be a playable version for us in a month where we can actually tell 343i what's wrong with it. Because fuck rationality, right guys?

Kathian

Banned
Instead of a sprint they really should just design the maps with boost pads in good places. That way you can have sprint boost and shoot at the same time rather than stop and start.

Cause they have to design generally larger maps to allow players to sprint. The smallest maps on 4 we're bigger than small maps on the older games. The map design in 4 was terrible, worst in the series so if that's anything to go off...

i agree 100% with that. Halo Reach and Halo 4 had horrible maps design because all the maps were opened and huge, but i think a map like Haven on Halo 4 was a lot of fun and was a sweet spot, especially with the sprint.

It honestly was not that bad, but you're not here to argue that so lets move on. Sprint(?), the question that needs an answer :S

Basically this is how I see it, the game needs to change, that is a FACT, how much or in what way is all that we can discuss. Sprint is the best way of changing the game because it is really easy to balance it, you're not looking at the big picture, all you see is "sprint affects the map". That is true, you can never really balance sprint around the map, without changing the fundamental feel, but you could do other things such as punish those who use sprint.

I can think of all sorts of things which comes to mind:
-Shooting an enemy who is sprinting causes him to move slower than at a normal pace
-Shields+health cannot recharge whilst sprinting
-Making sprint way less agile, harder to turn corners etc...
-Shooting/meleeing from sprint takes way longer than normal

These are all the ways I can see sprint being implemented, not being TOO OP on these smallish maps, keeping halo fresh and different but still the same, and not giving too much reward for those who use sprint before/during/around combat.

Also I hate this mentality of "Changes can happen but not copying others.". Sprint is not something limited to COD and I don't see why implementing it means Halo is simply copying COD. Soldiers can sprint, that is a fact, I don't see why this augmented super soldiers couldn't do the same either.

Sprint does not punish actually since you can run away when getting shot now. If the character moves at a proper speed then why include a sprint button? Halo is sci fi and not real life so soldiers sprinting is a moot point.

Yeah let's all yell and scream and make wild accusations at some low res videos about 5 seconds and cancel pre orders and never play Halo again even though there's gonna be a playable version for us in a month where we can actually tell 343i what's wrong with it. Because fuck rationality, right guys?

You have 343 in your name, the fuck you know about rationality

343 isn't stupid.

counter-argument: Halo 4

Wollveren

Banned
Good to know that ADS is only just a cosmetic something no problems with that.
Because if you want to waste 1 or 2 shots to go into ADS gives me pretty much a free kill.

Now i just want to know if sprint and spartan abilities have penalties like draining shield or stop shield recovery.

Again this ADS we saw on the clip is mechanically the exact same we have in previous halos, just looks different. I saw no movement slowdown, and the scope in looked instantaneous. Its the same.

I think tomorrow is the Halo 5 reveal, so I am very excited. Am based in the UK so anybody have a clue what time?

This thread...

I don't think that's ADS. Looks like the player dashes forward.

Made to look like COD, its still ADS.

Etnos

Banned
Sprint and ADS in Halo 5...

Why 343? Also, a fat LOL to those people claiming people disappointed with this are part of some Sony conspiracry. Riiiiiiiiiight. Many of us are oldtime Halo fans, which is why seeing what 343 is doing bothers us a bit more.

No one here has played Halo 5 yet everyone is jumping into the drama bandwagon. It may be good, I see nothing wrong with changes I do need to EXPERIENCE first such change before putting out a judgment.

Playing out the I'm a old time halo fan betrayed car its just... so cliche, and pointless right now. Wait for the beta guys no need for drama.

Nzyme32

7O3nYSd.png

It appears absolutely nothing was learnt from this thread,

Step 1 - Don't make assumptions on the basis of a single nebulous frame when there is no context to the activity being performed

FeD.nL

As long as armor abilities/loadouts etc. are out i'm fine, just give me a shooter like the old days where everyone has the same tools.

Wollveren

Banned
Sprint does not punish actually since you can run away when getting shot now. If the character moves at a proper speed then why include a sprint button? Halo is sci fi and not real life so soldiers sprinting is a moot point.

Look why would 343 even add sprint? I mean there has to be SOME kind of reason there, it obviously HAS to have some sort of pro to making the game feel good. It's not like for the past 3 (now 4) games they've (and bungie) decided "WE HATE THE FANBASE, LETS ADD SPRINT EACH TIME".

I just think 343 is not going the right way around sprint, add those factors such as major slowdown when shot, no shield regen etc... and it can work out really well.

Paradicia

Don't be ridiculous. This post should be ban worthy. Seriously. Why would you take a screen of a moment when the player is running that makes it look like he could POSSIBLY be aiming down the sights?

Trolling of the highest order right here.

You really think I was trolling? It was just an observation. From the quality of the .webm I don't know how you can be so sure if it was a sprint or not. It just looked like the player aimed down the sights at that moment in time. You don't need to take it so personal. With ADS now seemingly a feature in the game it wasn't an attempt at "trolling" by assuming the assault rifle also has that feature.

with the news from the not-ADS in mind.

JUST REMOVE SPRINT AND GIVE IT A SUPER FAST RUNNING SPEED.

Like seriously, the only time sprint is ever remotely necessary is when you INTENTIONALLY make it by making the running speed slow. It just stops you from running and gunning (aka having fun) for the sake of "muh realism".
Theyre super space soldiers for goodness sake.

Its stupid

It isnt fun

remove it and its perfect.

The advance warfare dashes are welcomed btw, cause the biggest problem with AW is the COD time to kill, which this seems to not have so far.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
You really think I was trolling? It was just an observation. From the quality of the .webm I don't know how you can be so sure if it was a sprint or not. It just looked the player aimed down the sights at that moment in time. You don't need to take it so personal. With ADS now seemingly a feature in the game it wasn't an attempt at "trolling" by assuming the assault rifle also has that feature.

Read my first couple of posts in this thread. I'm not one of the positive ones.

But your post was a troll attempt. Or at least VERY much looked like one.

Looks fine. Sprint is a lost battle. ADS seems kind of cosmetic here. It will have worse and more fundamental problems than these things, have no fear.

Top Bottom