• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

Lrrr

Said that ADS (again don't know if it's just cosmetic or something) was a big focus in development, now says it may just be limited to a few weapons, but that it'd be a strange thing to focus heavily on if it's limited. Assault rifle does have it though. He also reiterated that all the negative reaction might change things, Microsoft's playing it very safe and there's still 'plenty of time'.

This is precisely what I posted earlier in this thread. I said with the XB1 lagging behind the PS4, that Microsoft could not afford to screw up Halo or alienate its community in any way. If the majority of beta players communicated their displeasure with ADS and Sprint, those mechanics would be removed. People ignored me or said I was nuts to think negative beta feedback would have an impact. :/

Sprint makes sense. These are Spartans they should have the ability to sprint.

"Is that the military marvel I've heard of? Look at that leisurely jog, amazing!"

What does being a Spartan have to do with having the ability to sprint? I'm not a Spartan and I can sprint. How about the ability to move at a constant, fast speed. They're Spartans, supersoldiers, they should be able to do that.

Oh boy!

I sure can't wait to play as some fucking twat whose character and backstory has been already handled in some book/film outside of the main game series!

If there's anything I love, it's being able to experience a story that relies on different entries in different fucking mediums to figure out what kind of person the MAIN FUCKING CHARACTER is.

But no doubt some douche-bag suits at MS are high-fiving each other over their product synergy or some nonsense.

I cannot stand shit like this.

So MSFT is at fault for Bungie having written a flat ass character? Is that what I'm reading?

Welp!!! Can I have your copies since everyone jumped ship over 7 seconds... Guess I'll be wandering around multiplayer by myself!!

Seriously. People just love to hate on halo over the the most trivial things. Wait until you play the beta or at least see non cellphone quality clips.

Danomeon

Neo Member
Welp!!! Can I have your copies since everyone jumped ship over 7 seconds... Guess I'll be wandering around multiplayer by myself!!

People keep saying this, but it's not like the reveal of more footage will take away the fact that there's sprinting and ADS. If a 7 second clip shows a character throwing a grenade, it is reasonable to assume that there is grenade throwing in the game. Those 7 second clips show sprinting and ADS, so it's reasonable to assume their inclusion.

I want to believe, but this is worrying considering the first thing I've seen from the game are two of the things I was hoping wouldn't make it in.

Fingers crossed for me, but this is reason to worry.

Wollveren

Banned
When was sprint ever a get out of jail free card in Halo though? In Halo 4 you died to quickly too escape anything even with sprint and in Reach sprinting had a build up to full speed meaning you couldn't sprint away in combat anyway. Guy is full of shit.

NO WAY STINKLES IS BACK!!!!!!

But yeah, I died too fast to be able to randomly sprint half way in a shoot out to survive. But there have been couple of times where sprint has saved me (sometimes when I'm sniping through a small window, and I get a couple of shots in my face, I would just back off and sprint away to make sure they don't follow me).

For those of you missed it, Frank O'connor said this about sprint in HaloGAF OT:

The problem with that is it seems to imply the issue everyone had with Sprint was the escape. When really the much greater concerns were map design and weapon readiness issues.

Monocle

I don't want to overreact, but considering how Halo 4's problems can be summed up as the loss of Halo's core formula through stupid changes and unneeded additions, I am not remotely impressed by what I see here. This new info does nothing to reassure me that Halo 5 will steer the series back on course instead of pandering to the COD crowd again.

When was sprint ever a get out of jail free card in Halo though? In Halo 4 you died to quickly too escape anything even with sprint and in Reach sprinting had a build up to full speed meaning you couldn't sprint away in combat anyway. Guy is full of shit.

reason I say map design will actually be the bigger issue. In big team battle I like sprint, but in the smaller maps don't really see a need for it.

Kimosabae

Banned
Where did you hear this from?

They talked about it in the first EGM blowout for the game way back in 2002. The issue had this cover:

http://www.fondos10.net/fondos-de-pantalla-de-juegos/egm-wallpaper-29640-wallpapers-29640

It was the first real info regarding the game, prior to the E3 2003 trailer, if I recall correctly. They talked about all kinds of fantastical things that weren't even close to making it into the final game (such as AI flipping tables for cover, half a dozen variations of Warthogs, and the Mongoose, which didn't show up until Halo 3) .

Surprised it's so hard to find an image of that issue. Figured it'd be iconic at this point.

Bungie's been wanting to implement Sprint since Halo 2. I never understood the opposition to it.

What? Where did you hear that? Well they didn't add it in 3, and what does Bungie have to do with Halo now?

Edit: I see. I wanna read that issue now, I might have it some where.

FatMarshall

Neo Member
I just imagine a guy in the background of every development meeting shouting

MAKE IT MORE LIKE COD

Have you seen some of the lower-scored reviews for MCC?

It's pretty much people complaining about some of the games NOT being CoD-like in nature. Metro.co.uk's MCC review is a perfect example of this.

343 has to cater to these individuals who think every FPS should have "standard fps features" like ADS, sprint, etc. in order to receive favorable reviews, thus gaining credibility on the marketing side. It's sad that's how it works, but it's true.

GavinGT

Banned
They talked about it in the first EGM blowout for the game way back in 2002. The issue had this cover:

http://www.fondos10.net/fondos-de-pantalla-de-juegos/egm-wallpaper-29640-wallpapers-29640

It was the first real info regarding the game, prior to the E3 2003 trailer, if I recall correctly. They talked about all kinds of fantastical things that weren't even close to making it into the final game (such as AI flipping tables for cover, half a dozen variations of Warthogs, and the Mongoose, which didn't show up until Halo 3) .

Surprised it's so hard to find an image of that issue. Figured it'd be iconic at this point.

This is accurate. They even specifically talked about sprint being about double the normal movement speed, although it was something that might be tweaked before release.

When was sprint ever a get out of jail free card in Halo though?

AdriftInfoBox.png

ibhPdPHLLi8f1B.png

SolaceBeam.jpg

Meltdown4.jpg

list continues

The game needs to evolve and elite warriors can run. It's up to 343 to make this work in a way that's enjoyable for players. If the purists want to scoff let them, they have no idea as to how to evolve the franchise anyway.

Jito

Banned
list continues

Lol Halo 4. TTK was insane, not really any time to sprint away, maybe if you were lucky.

God all those maps are fucking terrible as well, thanks for reminding me of what they were. I just remembered them as "those shit maps in that shit game" now you're brining back memories.

... I like Sprint. I always thought the movement speed was too slow, especially when you're running from one encounter to the next. Halo 4 making Sprint standard was the best thing it did IMO.

But then, I thought Halo 4 was an okay game with some flaws so obviously I'm not as annoyed as some folk seem to be.

"I'm not a fan of the series and here is my opinion on why Halo 4 is good" *facepalm*

That Stone Dude

Neo Member
... I like Sprint. I always thought the movement speed was too slow, especially when you're running from one encounter to the next. Halo 4 making Sprint standard was the best thing it did IMO.

But then, I thought Halo 4 was an okay game with some flaws so obviously I'm not as annoyed as some folk seem to be.

Wasn't...wasn't sprint in Halo Reach and Halo 4? Wtf is everyone bitching about sprint for?

ADS/Ironsight I guess I can see where fans might be upset, but it works and feels great in Destiny and if there's no penalty to hip firing, then who cares?

Wasn't...wasn't sprint in Halo Reach and Halo 4? Wtf is everyone bitching about sprint for?

ADS/Ironsight I guess I can see where fans might be upset, but it works and feels great in Destiny and if there's no penalty to hip firing, then who cares?

Because the MP in Reach and 4 was terrible for Halo 1-3 fans. It made it less of the Arena / Halo style MP into a more generic version.

Sai-kun

Banned

People hated it in Reach and 4.

Destiny isn't Halo.

If the default movement speed was faster, there wouldn't be a need for Sprint and the game would just immediately improve.

That's the problem. This is something that people have been bitching since Halo Reach. They don't want sprint in Halo, that's it.

The game needs to evolve and elite warriors can run. It's up to 343 to make this work in a way that's enjoyable for players. If the purists want to scoff let them, they have no idea as to how to evolve the franchise anyway.

There are plenty of ways to evolve the franchise without destroying the core gameplay/map design.

How about making thruster pack a core mechanic? Make it skillful and put it on a proper cool down. Bam, there you go. Think of all the great possibilities for enemy designs in campaign that can leverage the player's ability to laterally dodge at any time. Think of the mind games in PvP.

That's just one idea, but I'm no game designer.

So MSFT is at fault for Bungie having written a flat ass character? Is that what I'm reading?

They are at fault for adopting pathetically cynical attitudes with regards to their audience in that they're assuming that people will appreciate having to do their homework with some stupid movie to know who the main character of the new game is.

"Watch this movie to know who the new protagonist of the series is." That's all this is. It's completely cynical, profit-oriented bullshit that throws all appreciation for storytelling out the window in favour of a bottom line.

Jito

Banned
Why does Halo need to evolve? You guys keep spouting this shit and never back up why. What's your favourite MP shooters by the way? That'll help explain a lot.

So there is ADS but the ADS is absolutely pointless. Unless I'm reading wrong. If there's absolutely no advantage to it, why does it exist? And if there is an advantage to it then it will piss off purists.

That's the thing, some like it while others don't. Me? Doesn't bother me that much but it would be better without it? Yup.

That too. And killstreak rewards in Halo 4... omg, so bad.

I see the merits of both having sprint and omitting it, but if I'm taking on the role of a super elite soldier who has been trained fresh out of the crib, equipped with billions of dollars worth of prototype gear, I sure as shit should be able to run fast.

So there is ADS but the ADS is absolutely pointless. Unless I'm reading wrong. If there's absolutely no advantage to it, why does it exist? And if there is an advantage to it then it will piss off purists.

Is there no advantage to aiming down the scope of a BR? Its essentially the same function, with a different look, and probably across more guns

I see the merits of both having sprint and omitting it, but if I'm taking on the role of a super elite soldier who has been trained fresh out of the crib and donning billions of dollars worth of prototype gear, I sure as shit should be able to run fast.
Makes sense I know but it doesn't make gameplay more enjoyable. In fact, takes away some of it.

Figments

They are at fault for adopting pathetically cynical attitudes with regards to their audience in that they're assuming that people will appreciate having to do their homework with some stupid movie to know who the main character of the new game is.

"Watch this movie to know who the new protagonist of the series is." That's all this is. It's completely cynical, profit-oriented bullshit that throws all appreciation for storytelling out the window in favour of a bottom line.

How is it cynical if it comes free with the MCC?

Something which most people here and beyond will buy anyway?

Seventy70

The problem I have with sprint is that people get back into the action too quickly. It kind of ruins the slow tension the previous Halo games had where both teams were a few points away from winning and everyone was slowly moving through the map with their trigger finger ready. Aside from that, I'm not a fan of the Halo 4 HUD and UI, it feels a bit lifeless and robotic. Another thing that was really missing from Halo 4 was the community. 343 really needs to get better at managing the community to keep everything alive. It was something Bungie excelled at and imo was a big reason why Halo 1-3 were as popular as they were.

Top Bottom