• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta preview [Game revolution] [Update: Big Screens]

Eoin

To everyone saying "RIP Halo" etc, I'm curious as to what you'd do for a new Halo game?

It sounds to me like you guys don't want a new Halo game and just want to play H2A?
Removing sprint and ADS would not make this game any less new, just better.

To everyone saying "RIP Halo" etc, I'm curious as to what you'd do for a new Halo game?

It sounds to me like you guys don't want a new Halo game and just want to play H2A?

This is such a weak question, man. Just because people dislike changes made doesn't mean they outright can't handle changes. They aren't fine tuning things from past Halo games, they're just adding completely new stuff because reasons. This is going to fundamentally change the game and obviously fundamental changes are going to piss off the core fanbase that's been used to certain basic things in Halo.

I wouldn't mind changes to other mechanics, but what the fuck does sprinting "add"? I've yet to see an explanation of what good that does for the game while the downsides are pretty obvious. Halo 4 clearly wanted to try turning Halo into a more CoD style game and the fanbase reacted appropriately.

Fitts

I like it. I think that adding sprinting is a mistake, the announcer is too busy, and the "rolling start" at the beginning of the match is goofy but other than that it looks like a lot of fun -- and this is coming from someone who bailed out at Halo 3.

If they drop the sprint then this will sit alongside Killer Instinct as the games that I would buy an Xbox One for.

Trickster

Footage looks really good imo. Definitely makes me want an xbone so I could play it.

Also have any of the people who went mental during the ADS debacle calmed down and eaten crow yet?

Spades

This is such a weak question, man. Just because people dislike changes made doesn't mean they outright can't handle changes. They aren't fine tuning things from past Halo games, they're just adding completely new stuff because reasons. This is going to fundamentally change the game and obviously fundamental changes are going to piss off the core fanbase that's been used to certain basic things in Halo.

Tell me what you'd do to fine tune then?

Prine

Banned
Feelings based on videos.

Fuck ADS
Fuck ground pound

Ground pound is probably the bigger offence, its going to be abused to get to places quickly, and removes the vulnerable nature of floating in the air.

I seriously hope 343i LISTEN, this is heartbreaking to see happen to my beloved Halo, the shooter i loved for not being COD/Titanfall/Killzone.

Thrusters look good, so glad to see kills being used to decide games instead of points.

Pop

Any impressions from the pro players playing it?

ig7frC6.png

just some

Striker

"no joke if Halo wasn't tied to it you'd all love it. The game is awesome, it's just very different"

Yeah, by different meaning doesn't look like Halo at all.

One moment saw somebody getting AR'd but one swoop jump thrust to the left he escaped death. Reminded me of evade from Reach.

I've moved on from the Halo franchise but I do like keeping tabs on what 343 is doing for the future. Definitely looks like they're going in the esports direction like shinobi, I think, made note of a few days ago. That isn't bad, but things just look wildly different. Doesn't look like Halo at all. And lots of Halo 4 things that bugged me, like the audio from the guns, weapon switching, jumps, etc. remain. Spartans saying "good kill, brah" looks really strange. Steitzer sounds like he did in Halo 4, which is a far cry from what he did in Halo 1-3 and Reach.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This is such a weak question, man. Just because people dislike changes made doesn't mean they outright can't handle changes. They aren't fine tuning things from past Halo games, they're just adding completely new stuff because reasons.
Who said that they aren't fine-tuning things from past halo games?

Tell me what you'd do to fine tune then?

It's kinda weak to be asking people to say what should be changed because they don't like certain changes because people have a reasonable right to be annoyed by things even if they don't know the exact solution. Maybe that point wasn't being made obvious enough when I said it's a weak question to ask. It's so braindead, it's like someone making a shitty movie, it getting panned, and all he can say is I'D LIKE TO SEE MY CRITICS MAKE A MOVIE. Oooh boy, really got us there.

DMR should go and the Magnum should take it's place, having both a DMR and BR in the game just reminds me too much of Halo 4 right now and the way the DMR works, it could be a classic Magnum.

Sprint I don't agree with, seeing the gun while zooming in I can get used too but I still dislike it, can't the gun model be more zoomed in so it's a lot more hidden? and zooming with the AR and SMG? no get rid of that please they don't need it.

Since you can jet boost forward for a small speed boost why do we even need a sprint?

thelastword

Banned
Looks really fluid, announcer plus gameplay reminds me of a cross between UT/QUAKE, that 720p really kills the image, but it looks fun.

Monocle

I wouldn't mind changes to other mechanics, but what the fuck does sprinting "add"? I've yet to see an explanation of what good that does for the game while the downsides are pretty obvious. Halo 4 clearly wanted to try turning Halo into a more CoD style game and the fanbase reacted appropriately.
Gotta go fast!

Spades

It's kinda weak to be asking people to say what should be changed because they don't like certain changes because people have a reasonable right to be annoyed by things even if they don't know the exact solution. Maybe that point wasn't being made obvious enough when I said it's a weak question to ask. It's so braindead, it's like someone making a shitty movie, it getting panned, and all he can say is I'D LIKE TO SEE MY CRITICS MAKE A MOVIE. Oooh boy, really got us there.

So basically everything I say is weak according to you?

What you're saying is you don't just want the game to be the same as H2, but if any changes are made then they will be criticised. When questioned what the "fans" want, all they say is that they want a "Halo experience", which is fundamentally what H2A is.

So I ask my original question again - if you don't want the core Halo gameplay changed at all then why would you play anything other than MCC?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
So basically everything I say is weak according to you?

What you're saying is you don't just want the game to be the same as H2, but if any changes are made then they will be criticised. When questioned what the "fans" want, all they say is that they want a "Halo experience", which is fundamentally what H2A is.

So I ask my original question again - if you don't want the core Halo gameplay changed at all then why would you play anything other than MCC?

New maps, new weapons, design changes/additions that are compensated for/taken into consideration in the general combat sandbox?

Man. I couldn't watch it with sound this morning, but why are the Spartans constantly chattering?

This is one of the things that I disliked about the Spartan IV line (displayed in Spartan Ops) they seemed like a bunch of dudebros going at it.

scently

The game is obviously going to look much better than this when it releases but this really highlights why people being disappointed with the first visuals is more than warranted.

I don't see anybody complaining about the visuals as of yet, the more concern is on how it plays, as it should be at this point.

I don't see anybody complaining about the visuals as of yet, the more concern is on how it plays, as it should be at this point.

People are already freaking out at beta being 720p despite the game is a year out. To them games must be at a perfect launch state whenever they play them.

i-Lo

I can't help but notice how the movement set is so similar to CoDAW. It's as if the same exo-suit got iterated to become a full body armour.

The game is obviously going to look much better than this when it releases but this really highlights why people being disappointed with the first visuals is more than warranted.

Well it's still quite a ways away. Things should undoubtedly improve.

Oh there are concerned people alright; choosing to ignore them helps one stay uninformed.

AlStrong

Is there a difference between DMR and BR? I wouldn't know if there was a triple shot coming out if not for the ammo indicator (not unlike Halo 4). :s

Azlan

This looks great to me. Glad they are making some real changes. If I want standard Halo there will always be the MCC.

Flintty

It looks great, I can't wait to try it!

The changes sound good to me. If you want the original Halo multiplayer there's MCC. Want something a bit different/new? Halo 5 :D

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sounds like they really shook up the formula with this one.

Too early to say wether it'll pay off or not. I bet HaloGAF is already pouring one out though, adding COD-style mechanics proved pretty disastrous for the online community in the past.

Really looks like they went with the COD:AW exo abilities with the ground pound, climbing, boost and thrusters.

Asbear

Banned
The fact that many previews casually compared Halo 5 to Call of Duty makes me worried that the game is already a lost cause. That was the exact same problem with Halo 4's MP systems and now they're taking it further and plagiarizing even more into their core gameplay.

Shame on you 343i. Shame on you for ruining the franchise you set out to sustain.

Other than the armor, if you would have told me this was Unreal Tournament 2015, I would believe you. And in my opinion, that is not necessarily a bad thing. It looks a lot more of a Twitch Shooter than any other Halo before, and I think there is a place in the market for that.

I think the fact that it is a "Halo" game, that has everyone all fired up because it doesn't follow the "formula" the ones before it did. If this was revealed as Unreal Tournament Next Gen, people would be going crazy and frothing at the mouth excited.

Game is going to look worse than this when it releases. Unless they manage to make the game have super sample AA in a 1080p framebuffer. I doubt that.

Sydle

I like what I'm seeing. It's definitely Halo, but evolved.

Playing H2A last night reminds me how dated the game play has become. It felt so slow, nothing like the super space marine I'd envision hundreds of years in the future.

If 343 can add tools for more variety in skirmishes, keep the playing field even, and retain map/resource control then I can't help but get excited.

After hearing about the addition of ADS and sprint yesterday, I was pretty disappointed. Now, after watching the gameplay videos and reading the previews on Game informer and IGN, I'm going to hold my opinions until I actually get to play it. What I've seen/read looks like it might be a fun time and I want to get my hands on it before calling for death of Halo. It will be nice to get some time in on the MCC, then be able to play the beta - really be able to compare how they play.

I'm glad they chose to do a beta so early in the game's development, where it allows them to take feedback, and have the time to implement changes prior to it's official release. I'm eager to play, and I hope they really are listening.

abadguy

Banned
The fact that many previews casually compared Halo 5 to Call of Duty makes me worried that the game is already a lost cause. That was the exact same problem with Halo 4's MP systems and now they're taking it further and plagiarizing even more into their core gameplay.

Shame on you 343i. Shame on you for ruining the franchise you set out to sustain.
Problem with the COD comparison this time around is with the lack of perks, killstreaks, loadouts and the return of emphasis on map controll and everyone starting out equal is the very Opposite of COD.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Game is going to look worse than this when it releases. Unless they manage to make the game have super sample AA in a 1080p framebuffer. I doubt that.

i know you are specifically referring to IQ, but i'd expect better lighting, armor shader improvements, and environmental "decorators" at the very least. it will look better.

scently

I can't help but notice how the movement set is so similar to CoDAW. It's as if the same exo-suit got iterated to become a full body armour.

Well it's still quite a ways away. Things should undoubtedly improve.

Oh there are concerned people alright; choosing to ignore them helps one stay uninformed.

Nobody is complaining about it in this thread so you seem to be the one uninformed. I am very much aware of the res and what not, but in this thread, the complain is more about the gameplay. The res thread is different for a reason.

Naminator

Banned

BBboy20

Looks like a Halo game that has evolved and caught up with the times.
Gimmicks and trends are now considered the times? Fuck that.

So, I take these decisions are more due to other games then because they're trying to turn it into a Spartan simulator? Fuck.

RoKKeR

Is there 60fps footage of this anywhere?

I am feeling much better about it now. Looks like a proper evolution of the Halo mechanics.

Edit: NVM! Just a few posts above me.

Top Bottom