• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta preview [Game revolution] [Update: Big Screens]

Didn't like what I saw.

Positives:
-No recharging shields while sprinting
-back to timing weapons
-no kill streaks

Negatives:
-Sprint still in affecting map size and base speed. Look at how big Midship looked compared to older versions.
-Melee charge. When they increased melee lunge in Halo 3 it was crap.
-Ground pound
-ADS is just annoying. Old zoom is much better.
-Climbing. It just makes the movement pov along with sprinting and ADS seem like a mess.
-Thrust just seems like rolling in Reach which was a get out of jail free card. Players should be punished for putting themselves in bad positions. This will just make kill times slower which slows the game down.

Syriel

Am I the only one who thought "This doesn't really look like Halo" ? Game looks great nonetheless.

My first thought on playing it was "Damn, Halo is now set in the TRON universe." Still, loved TRON so like the look. ;)

Seriously though, Breakout is the reason to play the MP beta.

Maybe there is an inherent bias because it is fresh and new, but it held my interest more than Slayer. The group that I played with just kept coming back to it.

ryan299

Theres a game mode like GoW multiplayer. One life per round, eliminate the other team.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/11/7192207/halo-5-guardians-multiplayer-beta-hands-on-details-and-interviews

Finally, we got a chance to try our first match of the new Crossfire mode on the Breakout arena map.

In Crossfire, two teams of four fight to wipe out the opposing team before time runs out. Each player has one life per match. The first team to win five matches, takes the game.

The map we played on was inspired by real life competitive paintball fields, Lee said. To further amp up the action, Spartans have less shields in this mode, he said. Because the map is relatively small and slightly maze-like, the gameplay tended to be incredibly intense, especially when coupled with the new Spartan moves.

info about new sword.

The quick match gave us a chance to adjust to some of the new Spartan moves, like sliding and the ground pound. It also gave me my first chance to wield the Prophet's Bane, the Halo 5 take on the energy sword. The Prophet's Bane has an enhanced run speed and lunge distance, the developers told me. Most importantly, it still allows you to smack down enemies up close and personal.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Press Videos:

Breakout on Crossfire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meiM5BgaexE

Slayer on Empire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWbjlDUzfM

Slayer on Truth (Midship remake)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W7WZfgl8uM

Are they...are they yelling out bro love to eachother when they get kills?

WfJMAAd.png

Wow. The graphics, sound fx, speed etc.. looks awesome to me. I put plenty of hours into the halo series but I never felt like the formula isn't allowed to change and try new things. I might actually get a next gen console for this game if the beta goes well.

It's not going to look that much better than what we see today I would imagine. You guys make it sound like every game shown always ends up looking tons better when it's actually released. Doesn't really happen, maybe in a few cases, but it's definitely not the norm for that to happen.

That being said, it looks good to me, but not mind blowing. Need vids.

Usually the beta is a month before release not a year. Don't be that person.

Lucent

Didn't like what I saw.

Positives:
-No recharging shields while sprinting
-back to timing weapons
-no kill streaks

Negatives:
-Sprint still in affecting map size and base speed. Look at how big Midship looked compared to older versions.
-Melee charge. When they increased melee lunge in Halo 3 it was crap.
-Ground pound
-ADS is just annoying. Old zoom is much better.
-Climbing. It just makes the movement pov along with sprinting and ADS seem like a mess.
-Thrust just seems like rolling in Reach which was a get out of jail free card. Players should be punished for putting themselves in bad positions. This will just make kill times slower which slows the game down.

What? If they can use it skillfully to dodge why should they be punished? Especially if you can use it, too. And how do you know the old zooms aren't still there? The only gun I saw with ADS looked like a new gun.

Honestly I'm glad they're trying to add something different. If it was the exact same kind of gameplay every time might as well not get the new one and just keep playing the old stuff. =/

EDIT: Okay, I watched some of the new videos someone linked here and I guess the pistol and old assault rifle do have a different kind of zoom. But honestly I like them. A lot. =D

Foxix Von

Weird.

If someone showed me this footage in a vacuum without telling me it was halo, I would have honestly never guessed that it was.

I greatly dislike the look of the pace of the game.

Oh well, =/ one less thing to buy in the future I guess...

Lucent

Weird.

If someone showed me this footage in a vacuum without telling me it was halo, I would have honestly never guessed that it was.

I greatly dislike the look of the pace of the game.

Oh well, =/ one less thing to buy in the future I guess...

I actually like it. Looks more aggressive. I like the added skills. I felt that old Halo was a bit too slow. This'll help.

What? If they can use it skillfully to dodge why should they be punished? Especially if you can use it, too. And how do you know the old zooms aren't still there? The only gun I saw with ADS looked like a new gun.
=D

They should be punished for putting themselves in dangerous situations. It doesn't matter if every player can use it. The point is that it helps players escape. Though it's not that big of a deal to me. I find it better than Reach's rolling and it's better than sprint.

As for the zoom
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138307627&postcount=930

Honestly I'm glad they're trying to add something different. If it was the exact same kind of gameplay every time might as well not get the new one and just keep playing the old stuff. =/
=D

That doesn't apply anymore because Halo's last 2 titles added abilities and other things.

Oh man the spartans talking to each other sounds so bad lol.

I always loved the big hulking silent type...now the "hay good job man" feels a bit strange

Lucent

MLG Halo looks faster than this imo :S I thought this looked slow with the stop and shoot

Seemed you can choose whether to stop and shoot or do it the old way. Saw people run by and shoot without zooming in some videos. Nothing stopping them from doing it the old way. Also, if you were referring to the little tournament thing they did tonight on Halo Fest, well, I assume it'll get faster when people know how to use the new stuff more. Seemed like that was their first time if not one of their first times playing.

They should be punished for putting themselves in dangerous situations. It doesn't matter if every player can use it. The point is that it helps players escape. Though it's not that big of a deal to me. I find it better than Reach's rolling and it's better than sprint.

As for the zoom
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138307627&postcount=930

That doesn't apply anymore because Halo's last 2 titles added abilities and other things.

Can always tweak it and stuff. And if they've already added stuff, no reason why they have to stop.

Still trying to figure out how I feel about this. It looks faster, and I'll probably half to play it to see how I feel. I do like the thrust pack and how it adds mobility, just seems to make the game a bit faster. I think they could have just added the thruster pack without having sprint. The sprint animation just looks bizarre to me; especially with the effects.

-I think I could live with the climbing technique, as long as for the majority of the jumps there are means to get there without doing the climbing animation.
-Don't care about the ads portion. As long as there is no discernible disadvantage as apposed to hip fire. Looks wonky and takes up a large portion of the screen; if anything, it should be a disadvantage.
-Not sure how I feel about the ground pound. It looks similar to the supers in Destiny in pvp. Dying from that always felt cheap to me. Let the guy come down an bap me on the back with a melee.
-One thing that's absolutely got to go is the hit marker chirp. There at least has to be an option to turn that off. Good lord is that annoying, just from watching videos.

I'm still gonna reserve judgement until I play it. The game looks fun, albeit, not much like Halo in terms of the gameplay itself. Still want to give it a shot. Until then, it's getting my ass kicked in the MCC.

Sec0nd

Hmm strangely I'm a bit impressed. Maybe it's because I completely gave up on Halo. I've played H2 to death and played H3 semi professional and of course HATED Reach and disliked H4. I just kind of gave up. H5 barely resembles the older Halo games but I dunno. Still looks kind of fun.

WJD

It looks good, but it still doesn't look very Halo.

If map control and standardised loadouts are back then it's a big step in the right direction though. Undecided on ADS without actually playing it.

indie24

I think it looks great. While I only played Halo a few times I think this will appeal to everyone as it still has the Halo presence and feel but updated. I can see if they stuck to the entire old Halo theme, the game wouldn't have appealed to many outside of the Halo franchise scene. They seem to have struck a balance but only time will tell.

graphics/lighting could be better, even for xbox1 but thats okay, the 60fps is looking good. environments are okay i guess? they need to be less static. and gameplay doesn't look anything amazing but it looks good. not bad i think for being a year away.

Ubersnug

From what I've seen so far, I think it's looking very promising.

Graphics are nice and clean, even at this early stage. Will be good to see the spit and polish applied the closer we get to launch next November. This generation has taught me the benefits 60FPS has on how a game plays and it's fantastic to hear that 343I is focusing on that target - and apparently, at the expense of resolution. Great news. Please 343, don't let the resolution wars force you to compromise the frame rate.

Gameplay wise too, I think it's looking great. Seems to have a nice flow to the gameplay and can envision some incredibly tricky plays being performed. Now, I understand why alot of people are having reservations from some of the new mechanics and elements being added - especially on the back of Reach and Halo 4's refinements, but at the same time I'm struggling to understand why some people are completely adverse, with alot of knee-jerk reactions, to 343 trying to modernise or, at least, expand on the Halo MP formula.

I see nothing wrong with 343I building and including mechanics into the tried and tested formula as long as it's finely balanced, in tune with the maps they provide and stays true to the core elements that makes a Halo MP game. All the evidence is there to suggest that 343I is trying to build a game that the community wants while trying to iterate on the existing mechanics and nothing I have seen so far has been so 'left wing' as to make me think that 343 have lost the plot.

As an aside, I'm really liking the new sound the suit makes for low shields and health.

Ape

Banned
Everything looks good so far but I'll reserve judgement on the ground pound and tackle until the beta. Those are the two things that I'm most skeptical about.

Everything looks good so far but I'll reserve judgement on the ground pound and tackle until the beta. Those are the two things that I'm most skeptical about.

I was skeptical about tackle until I realized that functionally it's no different than a thrust + melee. Just looks cooler.

What the fuck is this shit?

Edgy writing.

Seriously it's fucking hilarious how anyone can't see why Halo players would be annoyed by sprinting. It's almost as annoying as random game journalists saying Melee pros are "control freaks" and trying to argue they somehow know what they're talking about.

Yeah I'm not buying into 343's vision for Halo at all.

Future

I'm really interested in seeing how the hover mechanic they describe works. They say it uses the LT button, so I guess you can't use ADS in mid-air since it utilizes the same button, or maybe I'm just misreading something?

I think ADS triggers the thrusters automatically if done midair

Spades

To everyone saying "RIP Halo" etc, I'm curious as to what you'd do for a new Halo game?

It sounds to me like you guys don't want a new Halo game and just want to play H2A?

Top Bottom