• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta preview [Game revolution] [Update: Big Screens]

Kimosabae

Banned
You're a joke if you think the game is going to look appreciably different a year from now. This is must be your first console beta.

Just take solace in the fact that people stopped appreciating Halo for pushing technical boundaries a long time ago and stay more for the sci-fi gameplay and lore.

The game may have some nice looking effects going on while running at 60fps but I don't expect any severe improvements in texture, lighting or models. Single player may prove to be different.

dmr87

bjjxqc.png

https://twitter.com/jeffcannata/status/532005147581218816

Dude. Those are actual, genuine H4 armors in the bottom pic. It's placeholders, pure and simple.

Haha I was wondering why they looked, you know, exactly the same.

Anyway, no point getting too carried away with comments on the graphics when the game is so far out from release!

That preview does a terrible job of explaining how the mechanics even work. Doesn't talk about sprint being rebalanced, doesn't talk about the ground pound, doesn't say how often the thruster pack can be used, etc.

Massive time sink? He docked points for too much content? Holy shit.
...and then proceeds to dock it for not includeing Reach and ODST...
much contradiction...

MegalonJJ

Banned
Halo always had gameplay emphasis over graphics, so even if H5 looks like an improved H4 but not much else, I don't care provided the gameplay is superb, which I'm hoping it will be.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
How much of a preview are we getting tonight? gameplay wise...
I think it will be almost everything that will be in the beta, if not actually everything. Maps, new abilities, beta weapon sandbox, etc.

Pez

Halo 5: Advance Warfare.

Really sad to see this series lose its identity by the creative vacuum that has become COD's effect on the fps genre. Mark of the times sure, but at least Bungie's Halos tried to bring something new to the table everytime they released a new title. This series is frantically just playing catch up by focusing on the wrong things and feels so unnecessary because of it.

Sad.

th4tguy

Where is this streaming?

Edit: Never mind, I see it's an xbox live stream. I should ask, what time does this start.

Halo always had gameplay emphasis over graphics, so even if H5 looks like an improved H4 but not much else, I don't care provided the gameplay is superb, which I'm hoping it will be.

That's not necessarily true! Halo 1, 2, and 4 were all lookers for their time (to various extents) so I see why people are expecting big things from Halo 5. They also ran at 30fps, so clearly they weren't ALL about gameplay > graphics. Don't get me wrong, they did have a strong focus on playability but it's not like they didn't try to make them look good!

Hatchtag

Banned
New screens made me think 2 things:
1) That shade of blue armor is gorgeous. Why does the red one not look so gorgeous?
2) The map looks cool, but it also looks a bit repetitive texture wise, in a way that makes it hard to quickly recognize where you are or where someone else is on a map.

RSB

Banned
Oh, and apart from what I said of letting us use the traditional zoom/scope, they better not force us to use LT to aim.

Seriously, RS to aim better be in the game.

Vidpixel

Oh, and apart from what I said of letting us use the traditional zoom/scope, they better not force us to use LT to aim.

Seriously, RS to aim better be in the game.

I was actually just thinking about this earlier today. I wonder if they're going to make the switch to LT aiming as opposed to R3. Speaking of which, I'm really curious as to what the entire button layout will be.

VeeP

I was actually just thinking about this earlier today. I wonder if they're going to make the switch to LT aiming as opposed to R3. Speaking of which, I'm really curious as to what the entire button layout will be.

Halo has always had tons of different control schemes. I believe in Halo 4 one control scheme allowed you to use LT to zoom. I expect 343 will do the same with Halo 5. If not, voice your concerns with the Beta.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sprint is in there, Dopey. Not going away. We'll get through this.

BTW, ADS is way worse.

But what about fake ADS, which this is? I can deal much better with fake ADS than real, COD ADS.

That's actually already a control option in MCC. :p

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Sprint is in there, Dopey. Not going away. We'll get through this.

BTW, ADS is way worse.

Nah, if ads doesn't replace hip fire and works as a zoom/steady fire, im cool with it. As long as high TTK is still in.

If they were to improve base movement speed and strip sprint, i'd be cool. Hell i might even be cool with all the thrusting stuff. Sprint just damages everything it touches.

ryan299

This game is going to get so much hate that I think its going to look different by release. Good thing they're doing a beta real early.

Heretic

But what about fake ADS, which this is? I can deal much better with fake ADS than real, COD ADS.

That's actually already a control option in MCC. :p

Nah, if ads doesn't replace hip fire and works as a zoom/steady fire, im cool with it. As long as high TTK is still in.

If they were to improve base movement speed and strip sprint, i'd be cool. Hell i might even be cool with all the thrusting stuff. Sprint just damages everything it touches.

Should have clarified... COD ADS in Halo is way worse than sprint. I'm glad shooting from the hip is still in. Now they just need to confirm traditional ranking system...

I knew it! And people kept telling me otherwise.

???

DopeyFish

Should have clarified... COD ADS in Halo is way worse than sprint. I'm glad shooting from the hip is still in. Now they just need to confirm traditional ranking system...

Ranking in halo 5 sounds a loooot like starcraft... which is kind of like reach :(

RSB

Banned
Yeah, I think I would be OK with "cosmetic" ADS, but only if traditional scope/zoom was an option.

If "cosmetic" ADS is the only option, then fuck it. Sure, it may function virtually the same, but I'm not going to accept having half my screen obscured by the weapons whenever I zoom.

Classic scope FTW. So elegant and functional. Seriously, they better give us that option.

Frank, can you please confirm or deny that ads is in Halo 5?

Real simple answer, yes it is or no it isnt. :)
Not in terms of gameplay as you understand it. No. Read Josh's clarification from yesterday. Animation? Watch tonight. You will see one nee aspect where you will be like, "why would a skilled player even DO that?" And you'll be right. It's a toggleable feature for babbys (imo)

I still don't understand. I'm guessing you mean the animation to look down the site vs the original scope in "animation?"

Either way, thanks for clarifying this stuff. Sounds promising.
Yes. More or less. Josh delineated the gameplay functionality yesterday. It's mostly aesthetic. There will be per weapon nuances as usual but retaining legacy functionality across the board. Except new weapons, obviously but even those will behave the way you would expect.

You'll see it in context tonight with some fairly high end gameplay.

Watch for skill gap stuff.

And only like forty something sleeps till you try it. Also some regular people will be posting uncensored impressions. No slurp contracts.

DopeyFish

As long as there's a visible number that can drop then I'll be happy with it.

Starcraft grouped you via skill detection after a bunch of matches, just like halo reach

you can then move up and down from there and eventually the ladder resets and you go at it again

the problem for me was in starcraft, I kept getting placed in platinum or some such shit when I'm a silver player at best

so eventually I just gave the hell up

Heretic

Starcraft grouped you via skill detection after a bunch of matches, just like halo reach

you can then move up and down from there and eventually the ladder resets and you go at it again

the problem for me was in starcraft, I kept getting placed in platinum or some such shit when I'm a silver player at best

so eventually I just gave the hell up

I don't like that one bit...

Top Bottom