• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta preview [Game revolution] [Update: Big Screens]

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I like that. It always felt jarring having the screen turn into a big crosshair then back. This will be a more natural way to take long shots.
I don't agree. I think ADS in general clutters the screen and feels claustrophobic. But hopefully Halo does it well. I'm open to it.

Mohonky

How long till we get Uncharted comparison pics?

But seriously, why are people so reluctant to change? Just see how it plays first, thays what a beta is for.......

But, your helmet is linked to the gun, and can see directly down the scope...

Why go backwards? Why make it look like CoD/generic shooter ADS, but keep it the same? It's just removing any flavor Halo had one little step at a time.

Round 2 of yesterday's thread. Lets not start until we see how it actually works in game.

Cynn

But, your helmet is linked to the gun, and can see directly down the scope...

Why go backwards? Why make it look like CoD/generic shooter ADS, but keep it the same? It's just removing any flavor Halo had one little step at a time.
I understand your viewpoint on it. Technically though Halo came at a time when most shooters did the crosshair screen. It was standard when they implemented it. COD has since made ADS the common standard.

The poster relating it to viewpoints in a racer has the right idea. I always race with the in dash/cockpit view selected. Most of my friends do the chase cam. They say chase cam gives them a larger field of view. I get a better sense of presence from the dash view and perform better with it. The car meanwhile has zero change in physics no matter how we look at it. If H5 allows both views then I see nothing wrong with that.

The bigger issue here I think is that Halo fans feel like every shooter today is molded after COD and Halo should be unique. That's not untrue. As a serious Battlefield player I saw my own series get a COD makeover. If 343 allows the old view to remain in addition to ADS I can't see a problem with it though.

Magwik

Banned
How long till we get Uncharted comparison pics?

But seriously, why are people so reluctant to change? Just see how it plays first, thays what a beta is for.......
Because the change isn't made for the game to be better or more fun. It's just there because they want to cater to an audience that doesn't like Halo in the first place.

jem0208

I don't agree. I think ADS in general clutters the screen and feels claustrophobic. But hopefully Halo does it well. I'm open to it.

I know it's a pretty contentious thing to say, however from that leak the red dot site on the BR looks really cool.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Those images don't do the game justice I am sure. We all should learn by now that the games look much better than that on screen. So expect what you see there to be more sharp, detailed and vibrant.

I find that that's not the case. You know, bullshots and whatnot.

Because the change isn't made for the game to be better or more fun. It's just there because they want to cater to an audience that doesn't like Halo in the first place.

So catering to a new audience to get more people to play halo and changing something cosmetic that most likely won't affect gameplay, is bad?

Could be an interesting mix of classic Halo and ODST style investigations etc. Locke is supposed be ONI right? So maybe a more stealth and calculated focus?

I'd actually be on board for something like that. Locke playing like ODST with MC playing as traditional Halo would be a pretty nice contrast between the two.

Yeah, that's a great way of seeing things but still... I don't know.

Indeed.

It'll be bitterly disappointing, but it's becoming pretty clear I'm no longer their target audience and as sad as that is, I just have to accept it and move on.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
thats a real lazy ground texture is it even a texture lol

BokehKing

Banned
Keep in mind some of us use to love halo.... Alot...

We were just introduced to a more enjoyable play style (our opinion)
Give us ads with no hip fire penalty and then everyone will be happy. Me aiming down the sights should not effect you, shoot me from the hip from across the map it's all good I should be easy prey

reminds me of one of my favorite levels from Star Fox Assault.

I hope this game is good

thats a real lazy ground texture is it even a texture lol

i don't like that they put it on top of the platforms. It looks cool but it seems like it'd be difficult to distinguish elevated geometry from the floor.

Death2494

Not talking about that image in particular

Its a 60 fps game on xbox one. Chances of it blowing everyones mind graphically is low.

I don't expect it to look much better than Halo 4

It is also an arena style shooter so... Graphics will definitely get better. I hope we at least get some sick executions.

No vast distances to worry about and maybe 5v5. 343 has the talent to push those polys. I owned a 360 and before gears 3 and halo 4 it was graphically stagnant.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, I find ADS interferes not only with visibility (which might be by design) but also feedback clarity. In Destiny I often have to watch for numbers to pop up to make sure I killed something, as the combination of recoild and the gun model block visibility to the enemy after firing on them.

There are five Halo games demonstrating that not using ADS works very well in Halo games. Using ADS but removing movement and aim penalties seems like an attempted compromise with the CoD vs. Halo crowd; keep the movement options of the latter and the visual style of the former. A common critique of Halo 4 is that it attempted to chase the CoD crowd while still being a Halo game, while failing at both. It seems this is another crack at the same, though less egregious than say, global ordnance drops.

i don't like that they put it on top of the platforms. It looks cool but it seems like it'd be difficult to distinguish elevated geometry from the floor.

Same. I actually like the look. It has that arcade arena style. But it looks very out of place on top of platforms. Would like to see that changed.

Yeah, I find ADS interferes not only with visibility (which might be by design) but also feedback clarity. In Destiny I often have to watch for numbers to pop up to make sure I killed something, as the combination of recoild and the gun model block visibility to the enemy after firing on them.

There are five Halo games demonstrating that not using ADS works very well in Halo games. Using ADS but removing movement and aim penalties seems like an attempted compromise with the CoD vs. Halo crowd; keep the movement options of the latter and the visual style of the former. A common critique of Halo 4 is that it attempted to chase the CoD crowd while still being a Halo game, while failing at both. It seems this is another crack at the same, though less egregious than say, global ordnance drops.

Seems to me that ADS is a more immersive animation mechanic. As long as it functions the same as scope-in, I don't see much of an issue. If Halo were to use ADS mechanics, it would demand the player not be penalized for using it (keeping in line with its arena shooter background). That's always been my thought on it. I'm glad that 343 is willing to make that compromise since they seem so set on the mechanic.

PVtECdx.jpg

It looks like Halo 5 will also have this problem. dat muzzle flash

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
For a year out, not bad at all.Can't wait to see how it looks running at 60fps with all the bells and whistles next year near launch.

This guy shouldn't be anywhere near Halo, he is tired of shooters

0NjGvke.png

Glad that I read the first 100 pages before clicking the link - such garbage reasons to subtract points. Complaining that a game called The Master Chief Collection doesn't have Reach & ODST? You hate shooters yet you're reviewing one? TOO MUCH content?

This guy actually listed having too much content as a negative point in a gaming world where DLC is pre-planned or even cut out to be sold or locked away on disc today.

Well.

I rate your review a 0 out of 5 myself.

Yes.

The smart-linked optics lore held up and worked. Changing it to be more like other shooters such as CoD especially considering how H4 was perceived is only going to be seen negatively. Another go about at chasing distinct crowds.
Considering the linked optics, ADS doesn't even make sense from a lore perspective, making it all the more a questionable change.

Edit: And I don't know about it being more immersive. Or maybe there are only so many games of staring down the rifle rails the entire time before it gets utterly tedious.

Yes.

The smart-linked optics lore held up and worked. Changing it to be more like other shooters such as CoD especially considering how H4 was perceived is only going to be seen negatively. Another go about at chasing distinct crowds.
Considering the linked optics, ADS doesn't even make sense from a lore perspective, making it all the more a questionable change.

Edit: And I don't know about it being more immersive. Or maybe there are only so many games of staring down the rifle rails the entire time before it gets utterly tedious.

I understand that the ADS trend may have a lesser effect than it did when it first started popping up, but that's how humans actually operate firearms so there's really no question that it's more immersive.

I didn't think about the lore-based reasoning for scope-in. That is kind of disappointing that we'll lose out on that. ADS seems gratuitous in that context. I won't have a real solid opinion of it until I get to see the pros jam out in H5 tonight. Let's hope there are some silver linings.

Asbear

Banned
I still think the idea of Multiplayer taking place in Infinity as a canon part of the story or something like that is dumb. I hope it doesn't hinder them from creating nice looking maps because they want to canonize everything, ugh.

I just don't care for that synthetic look 343 has given to Halo.

jem0208

I still think the idea of Multiplayer taking place in Infinity as a canon part of the story or something like that is dumb. I hope it doesn't hinder them from creating nice looking maps because they want to canonize everything, ugh.

It didn't hinder them from creating different map designs in Halo 4, the aesthetics in 4 varied a lot.

thats the most genious idea for the Halo multiplayer. it means 343i canonically can make any map from any place in the Halo universe and it "makes sense". its Spartans fighting in a simulation program of combat fields, training grounds, and alien worlds.

RSB

Banned
If ADS is only "cosmetic" (works exactly like traditional scope, but with the appearance of CoD-style ADS) then they better give us the option to use the classic scope as an alternative.

I don't want half my screen obscured by the weapon every time I use the zoom. The traditional scope looks so much better, way more elegant than that ugly ADS bullshit.

Anyway, I want to say that agree with what others have already said, the homogenization of the FPS genre is really quite sad.

abadguy

Banned
Ahh. Your right. My mistake. And you have a point, it takes more than one person to make a game, it takes a talented team. And 343 are talented.

But a lot of sacrifices were made to make Halo 4 look good. Water physics were worse, particle effects weak, a lot of 2D cutouts, split screen was not fun (frame rate drops), etc.

Also they were making it on 8 year old hardware that is far less powerful than what they are working with now.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
not very flattering screens. from what little we've seen of the other maps though, i'm not all that worried. yet. little more than 2 hours.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
hahaha-no.gif

I mean seriously. Halo 5 does look good but not even remotely close to KZ:Shadowfall.

Just compare those pictures to this (a multiplayer screenshot)
Did people suddenly forget that this is a 2015 title that will be out in a year?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
No executions please.

i'd like them to return, but the button timing to do them vs just a quick beat down needs to be significantly lengthened. no more accidental assassinations

Bsigg12

Is there suppose to be a Halo 5 video announcement tonight?

Yea, during the HaloFest stuff tonight, there's supposed to be a match played from the beta content.

i'd like them to return, but the button timing to do them vs just a quick beat down needs to be significantly lengthened. no more accidental assassinations

Yep, I agree with you. A tap should always be a melee and a hold, say 1 full second, is an execution.

Top Bottom