• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta preview [Game revolution] [Update: Big Screens]

jem0208

no, that the space, as in the final frontier, is extremely obviously shaped like a cube. Every game does it like that, but most games don't have half of their stars on their borders and try to mask the lines and corners with nebulas, bright stars, dust clouds, asteroids, etc.

games like EVE, as the best example of space

Of course it is intentionally cubic, but you don't want the people to see that now would you ? It really kills the atmosphere.

I was referring to the geometry. However I don't see what you're talking about regarding the skybox...

Screw Killzone, get that crap outta here.

That site said that the beta is getting stuff from COD, is that true? I was happy yesterday when they denied ADS and stuff like that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's like I time traveled back to 2009 where you couldn't enter a thread without seeing killzone posted in threads for no reason.

vrln

Neo Member
Has any AAA first party exclusive game had a beta a full year before release? I can´t remember any. Halo 5 seems to be the first real console beta (as in still has a long way to go). For example the Destiny "alpha" or "beta" was nowhere near what the term actually implies.

I have full faith in 343*. They will have tons of feedback from a real beta and all the statistics from MCC combined with a full year of development time. Plus probably the biggest budget in any XBO exclusive so far. My guess is that a part of the reason MCC was done in the first place is to get massive player statistics to help relaunch the franchise in the most optimal way possible. They can´t and won´t mess this up :)

* Besides after playing Destiny I´m confident 343 is the best home for Halo... Halo 4 even with all its flaws is 10 times the game Destiny is if you ask me. Even the multiplayer mode is a diamond compared to Crucible.

shandy706

They didn't? Fuck, I need to get back to that topic then, when I left people were posting some Twitter pictures that said something like that.

I do believe they said there is no penalty for ADS vs Hip Fire.

Which means...well, there's no problem there....since ADS is not forced and there's no benefit.

(last I checked)

here you go
http://i.imgur.com/WtxHWqj.jpg

I marked it for you

I noticed it too..and 100% assume that it's a placeholder. It's a joke if it wasn't...pretty sure we won't see that in 12 months...unless that is supposed to be some kind of 100% "simulation room". In other words....even space is just a "projection" for practice.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
They never denied ADS. They confirmed it, and clarified that it wouldn't be like COD. It's basically just like zooming in past Halo games, but with a new look.

EL CUCO

* Besides after playing Destiny I´m confident 343 is the best home for Halo... Halo 4 even with all its flaws is 10 times the game Destiny is if you ask me.

Let's not get carried away here. One mini boss fight in Destiny alone, is Wayyyyy better than what 343 did with the Didact.

And if that is the case, then what the total fuck is the point of it?

This is my thought as well. If there is no difference in accuracy and mobility with and without ADS what exactly is the point? Appealing to the CoD crowd who are used to ADS without pissing off everyone else who doesn't want it? There has to be some catch/advantage to it...

Bungie did the same with halo 2. Played half the campaign as the arbiter, then left a cliffhanger. I think 343 are going to the same.

I'm not against the idea, but I'm not sure I see Locke as interesting a character as Arby.

Arby worked as we got to see the human/covenant conflict from both sides. We got to see what was driving the covenant, their hierarchy and that there were some who didn't believe in the great journey.

They never denied ADS. They confirmed it, and clarified that it wouldn't be like COD. It's basically just like zooming in past Halo games, but with a new look.

I could cross post, but it is impossible that it is functionally like the previous games.

And if that is the case, then what the total fuck is the point of it?

Come on, the gaming press and non halo fans have been complaining about how old halo feels. That is probably why 343 added ADS to Halo 5 still think they need to get rid of sprint
and let spartan abilities drain energy from the shield.

Ape

Banned

I also wouldn't be surprised if the sights on the guns are customizable.

shandy706

Wait a second what?
That doesn't make any damn sense. Why even use it then?

Why use or even include cockpit view in a racing game?

(assuming it doesn't change the gameplay at all in both cases)

I don't understand why anyone cares...if it's truly just a zoom/optional way to fire.

(again...assuming the game plays the same in both instances)

mcz117chief

Damn, its almost like the map is unfinished or something.

Knowing how games get released these days and that gaming companies usually show their best or is pretty much a finished product, I am not so super optimistic

I noticed it too..and 100% assume that it's a placeholder. It's a joke if it wasn't...pretty sure we won't see that in 12 months...unless that is supposed to be some kind of 100% "simulation room". In other words....even space is just a "projection" for practice.

Yeah, I hope, but you never know.

you guys know a beta means still in development right ? lol The game is literally a year out. We are just getting an idea of what the gameplay will be like.

Kssio_Aug

Knowing how games get released these days and that gaming companies usually show their best or is pretty much a finished product, I am not so super optimistic

If Forza Horizon 2 demo, released days before the full version, wasnt as detailed as the full game, I dont understand why people can consider that this beta related pictures, one year before release, could be in fact at the same quality of the final product. It barely makes sense.

More or less. And consistency.

We'll see how it performs in the wild. Dec 29

So if it doesn't work out it is possible to give us the option to have it the old way? You can keep it like that for people who would want that, but just bring the original way back as an option and you will see no complaints.

mcz117chief

If Forza Horizon 2 demo, released days before the full version, wasnt as detailed as the full game, I dont understand why people can consider that this beta related pictures, one year before release, could be in fact at the same quality of the final product. It barely makes sense.

Because I have seen stuff like Watchdogs and Colonial Marines and other similar shenanigans happen often. I am not saying that it will look like that, I am just stating my opinion on the topic.

Raide

I'm not against the idea, but I'm not sure I see Locke as interesting a character as Arby.

Arby worked as we got to see the human/covenant conflict from both sides. We got to see what was driving the covenant, their hierarchy and that there were some who didn't believe in the great journey.

Could be an interesting mix of classic Halo and ODST style investigations etc. Locke is supposed be ONI right? So maybe a more stealth and calculated focus?

Kssio_Aug

Because I have seen stuff like Watchdogs and Colonial Marines and other similar shenanigans happen often. I am not saying that it will look like that, I am just stating my opinion on the topic.

Yeah thats ok, I'm just giving my opinion aswell. But Watch_Dogs is an entire different case, since it was pretty damn impressive before release, and it got downgraded. These pictures right there are pretty belieavable, and if they're from the beta, we may play it soon. Actually at December 29! =P

More or less. And consistency.

We'll see how it performs in the wild. Dec 29

Nice!! Can't wait! =)

Cynn

I like that. It always felt jarring having the screen turn into a big crosshair then back. This will be a more natural way to take long shots.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I like that. It always felt jarring having the screen turn into a big crosshair then back. This will be a more natural way to take long shots.

But, your helmet is linked to the gun, and can see directly down the scope...

Why go backwards? Why make it look like CoD/generic shooter ADS, but keep it the same? It's just removing any flavor Halo had one little step at a time.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I get change and progress and whatever but I don't get this whole zoom/ADS thing besides trying to appeal to CoD style gameplay. I've missed a lot on this whole issue so I've probably missed something but whatever happened to this: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Smart-linking

That's not advanced enough. We gotta get a big clunky gun and shove it up to our big clunky helmets and try to make sure the sights are aligned. Realism bro.

Btw, can't wait to see ADS on the rocket launcher or the spartan laser. Should be pretty neat.

Top Bottom