• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Campaign Info Post - Building an Epic Campaign

Frog-fu

Banned
Ya'll got baited by one dude lmao

The game looks great btw I'm for sure going to be too sick for work on launch week

Yup, it's too bad we took the bait.

The Halo community (what's left of it anyway) is set on hair trigger responses as of late due to all the undue negativity.

We should've ignored Foolishfellow and his BS opinions instead of engaging him.

ElRenoRaven

You know this thread has given me the 2nd ever use of my ignore feature. Some people really just want to piss everyone off it seems. Never fucking fails. Here is a hint when almost everyone in the thread is telling you to take a hike then maybe you need to take 5 minutes and ask yourself do I really want to keep pissing everyone off.

Liked that little intro
1442257652-halointro.gif

Yea, I was worried they were going to pull another Halo 4 where the screen fades to black and then you just appear standing. Completely takes me out of it. The old Halos always had you drop from the Pelican in real time, so it's nice to see they're bringing it back in some fashion. I think they also did it for Warzone.

Just go away and stop boring people. It would be one thing if you had some particular insight but you're just trolling as a nonstop campaign/hobby. And it's dull.

I thought the gameplay looked FANTASTIC, but then the more I read Foolishfellow's words, the more I realised how wrong I was.

Thank god for you Foolishfellow. I'm so glad you are here - for a moment I was getting...excited!

Fuck that noise, Halo 5 looks (and sounds!) awesome.

Eh, I just remembered how open Reach's missions were so I guess you're right. I ought to give that game another play for sure.

I don't think the criticism is unfounded, but it's difficult to say much of anything based on 3 missions of edited footage. If the game ends up feeling like a tube after i've had my hands on it, i'll be making just as much noise. What I've seen so far however does not have me convinced it is shaping up to be that way.

I think at this point, if they still haven't figured out what made the good Halo games good and the bad ones bad, then its pretty much hopeless.

Halo CE had great levels that you could play a bunch of different ways.
Halo 2 had an excellent MP with pretty boring SP levels
Halo 3 had excellent SP levels to explore, excellent MP
Halo ODSTs open world and music was amazing
Halo Reach had lodouts which people didnt like and unbalanced MP
Halo 4 felt too much like a COD game and not a Halo one

If i can do this in 2 minutes, these guys have certainly done this too and a lot more in dept.

Edit:

From what ive seen in halo5, they seem to be hitting all the right notes in the right spots. Arena looks like its what people want 4 on 4 Halo to be. Everyone starting on the same foot with map control. SP looks to have levels that will let you approach battles in a bunch of different ways and you have Warzone for the people who want big crazy battles. I dont see how anyone cant be hyped for this honestly.

Monocle

Um, I started using that term to describe an objective fact. The levels in Halo 5 are designed to be more vertical. You can count and measure it. I didn't meet with marketing or a focus group to use a perfectly valid adjective. Stop looking for controversy where none exists. The levels are taller, the maps have to be designed for more mobility and more Spartans. The end.

It's not a buzzword. It's a goddamned fact. I truncated your post because believe it or not, me and Rod didn't attend a secret marketing summit to "amplify the verticality zeitgeist."

Halo 5 is taller and wider and longer.
In my opinion you should have used the phrases "upwardly dynamic," "heavenwardly orientated," and perhaps "more jumpier."

But really, even though verticality sounds a tad buzzwordy, it's succinct and accurate. That leaked Blue Team footage sold me.

I'm sorry to break it to you...but verticality isn't something Microsoft made up...its a real thing

I have attached a picture to demonstrate how vertical works

horizontal_vertical.png
343's war on horizontality is DISGUSTING and I shan't support it. End orientationism now.

OldRoutes

I loved the door smashing, to be frank. It's a really cool mechanic that's using an actual ability instead of adding another contextual button to an already complex control scheme.

Good job on the design team on that level, too ; really like the encounters and the different perspective.

Stinkles or 343, one question though ; when Locke said "Split up, Osiris", is that contextual to using a shortcut or an actual command given?

Papacheeks

Banned

Such an intelligent post that someone already kindly answered, and with an actual answer. Halo 4 is the one that drastically changed the way halo plays. Reach gave options if you wanted to have a special recharging ability, like sprinting, jetpack, stealth instead of a pickup like in previous entries.

This new halo looks nice, but I played the beta, and it was not for me. More power to people who like it.

Gestault

I'm always game for solid critique (and yeah, sometimes the truth is a bummer), but the only thing worse than vapid enthusiasm for something is vapid negativity.

When someone can't make their points without posturing them as an attack on a brand label, it says a lot about whether they're talking about the specifics of a game or their own internal politics. Particularly when what they're talking about isn't in the wild yet, and even more when their points go against basic info we have about the product.

This info/footage hits a lot of the right notes.

The concern trolling is for realz! Extended gameplay videos are always welcome. Cannot wait to see what the coming weeks bring leading up to launch.

mcrommert

Banned
I really like the story Josh Lindquist wrote about...getting all the fireteam members in stationary guns and then picking targets sounds awesome....

Kssio_Aug

That gameplays seems pretty great! And that scenario is beautiful, I'm loving that art direction after all!!
Very impressive for a 60fps game!

Leyasu

Banned
I am anxious about this as well. I would love to know how they have improved/tweaked the ranking stuff since the beta.

I'm anxious too.

@ Jumper, they did say it would be in. But for some unknown reason, I'm thinking that they might not give it to us afterall....

Kssio_Aug

I never understand the "Halo is too linear" comments. Halo has had a handful of "non-linear" missions, but it's otherwise always been a point A to point B game. The only thing that has changed in that regard are the size of the environments.

It's possible that there is a non linear mission in the game, but condemning a section of one for being linear is unabashedly presumptuous.

Yup. Every Halo game is somewhat linear.
I think people just confuse it with the size of the areas... in that case, Halo 4 is really the smallest one, yet, still quite wide compared to other shooters.

However, if I'm not mistaken, Stinkles already said that Halo 5 will be the biggest one in scope.

I'm always game for solid critique (and yeah, sometimes the truth is a bummer), but the only thing worse than vapid enthusiasm for something is vapid negativity.

When someone can't make their points without posturing them as an attack on a brand label, it says a lot about whether they're talking about the specifics of a game or their own internal politics. Particularly when what they're talking about isn't in the wild yet, and even more when their points go against basic info we have about the product.

This info/footage hits a lot of the right notes.

This is super fucking on point, and applies to basically everything. Shitty criticism is given a pass way, way too often.

ElRenoRaven

I think at this point, if they still haven't figured out what made the good Halo games good and the bad ones bad, then its pretty much hopeless.

Halo CE had great levels that you could play a bunch of different ways.
Halo 2 had an excellent MP with pretty boring SP levels
Halo 3 had excellent SP levels to explore, excellent MP
Halo ODSTs open world and music was amazing
Halo Reach had lodouts which people didnt like and unbalanced MP
Halo 4 felt too much like a COD game and not a Halo one

If i can do this in 2 minutes, these guys have certainly done this too and a lot more in dept.

Edit:

From what ive seen in halo5, they seem to be hitting all the right notes in the right spots. Arena looks like its what people want 4 on 4 Halo to be. Everyone starting on the same foot with map control. SP looks to have levels that will let you approach battles in a bunch of different ways and you have Warzone for the people who want big crazy battles. I dont see how anyone cant be hyped for this honestly.

To me what makes a good open level is this. I go into a level and I look and go is there more then one way I can tackle an encounter. Every Halo game but 2 & 4 had a ton of those type setups. Even in the hallways of Halo 1 you regularly had multiple ways to handle an encounter. You'd come to a room. You could go left, right, through the middle, jump up on top of some of the walk ways grunts would use. You had a lot of options. Sure the game was funneling you from A to B but it made you feel like you weren't just on a pre determined path the whole time.

Now I'm not saying Halo 2 or Halo 4 did not have those moments but they were few and far between. I still liked both games campaigns though. But with both I regularly just had one route though an area. Another thing that I think hurt both games, Halo 4 more then 2 mind you, was that you regularly went here and pushed button. Then went where and pushed another button. Other games had some variety of missions in that you'd have to go shut down generators with your shields, rescue some members of the crew, race through a location to get to an item first. That's another reason they felt less repetitive. I do hope and I do think that 343 probably have realized this based off the footage and details revealed. Also I can say without a doubt the game is going to blow a lot of people away I feel. I was a huge skeptic and a 99 percent certain not buy. But I've had my eyes opened a bit and preordered the hell out of the sucker.

So Jackals are speaking English too? Ive heard something like "chaarge" from them.

And watching through the gameplay again i noticed a lot of rough pixelated shadows...

Such an intelligent post that someone already kindly answered, and with an actual answer. Halo 4 is the one that drastically changed the way halo plays. Reach gave options if you wanted to have a special recharging ability, like sprinting, jetpack, stealth instead of a pickup like in previous entries.

This new halo looks nice, but I played the beta, and it was not for me. More power to people who like it.

The new one is going back to what made Halo popular in the first place, abilities on the map that people will fight for, even starts, map control, weapon control, etc. Thats how in was in Halo1, 2 and 3. If you dont like that, then you probably never liked Halo. And for people who want more chaos, theres Warzone. I can understand the Arena not being for everyone but Halo5 literally has something for everyone in the MP department.

SP we dont know much, but i cant imagine them not learning their lessons from 4 and MCC.

To me what makes a good open level is this. I go into a level and I look and go is there more then one way I can tackle an encounter. Every Halo game but 2 & 4 had a ton of those type setups. Even in the hallways of Halo 1 you regularly had multiple ways to handle an encounter. You'd come to a room. You could go left, right, through the middle, jump up on top of some of the walk ways grunts would use. You had a lot of options. Sure the game was funneling you from A to B but it made you feel like you weren't just on a pre determined path the whole time.

Now I'm not saying Halo 2 or Halo 4 did not have those moments but they were few and far between. I still liked both games campaigns though. But with both I regularly just had one route though an area. Another thing that I think hurt both games, Halo 4 more then 2 mind you, was that you regularly went here and pushed button. Then went where and pushed another button. Other games had some variety of missions in that you'd have to go shut down generators with your shields, rescue some members of the crew, race through a location to get to an item first. That's another reason they felt less repetitive. I do hope and I do think that 343 probably have realized this based off the footage and details revealed. Also I can say without a doubt the game is going to blow a lot of people away I feel. I was a huge skeptic and a 99 percent certain not buy. But I've had my eyes opened a bit and preordered the hell out of the sucker.

I agree, i think its more about having "options" during battle then the actual size of the map itself. But if they can combine both with 5, that would be spectacular. 343 need to blow it out of the water with 5 and i think their capable of it. What ive seen and played from the beta gives me hope. Im excited for Arena and Warzone and this campaign footage today looked great too. Im really hyped.

See you for Halo 6 maybe?..

mDHZmmB.gif

The Sanghelios footage looks damn good. I'm quite satisfied with the visuals given the smooth framerate. Lighting and particle effects are gorgeous, the material textures on the rocks/statues looks ace as well.

The increased chatter from Elites ("watch your backs"), grunts and jackals (they sound like they're going into some wild rage) is very welcome. Good stuff.

ElRenoRaven

The Sanghelios footage looks damn good. I'm quite satisfied with the visuals given the smooth framerate. Lighting and particle effects are gorgeous, the material textures on the rocks/statues looks ace as well.

Really does. 343 without a doubt can put out a hell of a good looking game. Even Bungie's Halos to me looked amazing. They were always pushing some great particles and just always had so much going on in the background. You had whole battles going on in the air and in space and Bungie did not just use a painting for them either.

These videos are just too good! I mean comon it's pure Halo! The music, the art.
Huge congrats to 343i, I'm glad I pre ordered the edition with the statue :)

Toa TAK

Banned
It wasn't just the options that people had a problem with Reach, it was crap like this:

http://gfycat.com/PoorGlitteringBooby

Edit: This is from the footage you linked.
I didn't have an issue with Bloom, myself. You just had to take your time. But I can see why this would piss people off compared to the rest of the series where as long as your target was red you can just blast away.

This is hilarious. Also the best thing to happen to Ghosts.

Madness

I don't even want to watch. Just judging by the comments here, it seems it's amazing. But I've already been overloaded with campaign and Multi-player information for Halo 5. It's not about going dark as opposed to wanting things to remain fresh and to be astounded on launch night. I can't wait to play. All I want to read more about Halo 5 now is stuff about Forge.

munroe

That's a fair outside-perspective, but the move is actually part of your combat arsenal, rather than a door-open script, so in practice it feels like a natural way to deal with those hazards and obstacles - the first instance in Blue Team IS forced because it's teaching you how it works in a non-combat context.

Are there many instances per level where you can perform that action? Is it safe to assume that if there's a cracked wall and I can see beyond it, I can smash through it or am I going to end up randomly smashing into non-breakable walls?

Top Bottom