• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Campaign Info Post - Building an Epic Campaign

please tell me the coop multiplayer is MATCHMAKING unlike the MCC decision to stay friend list only.

I really do miss the reach MP capabilities.

I don't know where I saw it so I can't confirm it but I'm pretty sure there is matchmaking for campaign coop.

Edit: I stand corrected lol.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
With drop in co op being a thing, will Halo 5 have campaign matchmaking? I know Reach had it and it wasn't played that much after it launched, but it could just be another way for players to hook up with randoms and play some campaign.

Nope.

Bolded for why.

Your AI bros will be way less problematic than the uncooperative, ammo-stealing, car-crashing diet racist you might have ended up with.

Nope.

Bolded for why.

Your AI bros will be way less problematic than the uncooperative, ammo-stealing, car-crashing diet racist you might have ended up with.

This ain't destiny, give us the choice to make bad decisions. If it doesn't work then no one will play it and you can get rid of the feature. Or do it like halo reach did, where matchmaking isn't there at launch but is later. There's not much of a reason to not have it, especially since it's drop in, drop out.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This and the leaked blue team footage look insane. I'll hold off till I see some vehicular combat and larger scale battles before I call it best ever, but from what I've seen halo 5 certainly appears to have the best on foot level design of the series. I think halo 5 is going to really turn heads and garner a lot of positive attention. Good stuff 343.

Raide

Actually surprised it looks that good. Was not that impressed early on but that really does look damn good.

NOW SHOW ME THE FORGE!!!!

I can't believe how much 343 is ruining Halo. All my favorites things from the last few games are gone.

no reticule bloom
no map voting or vetoing
no random weapon drops
no matching making made up of 75% forge maps
no kill streaks
no shield recharging while sprinting
no dlc map packs
no p2p multiplayer
30 fps gone

Screw this game.

Pretty ironic coming from the guy who answered my wish for bots in Halo multiplayer years ago with "Just mute the other players. Voila." ;p

Nope.

Bolded for why.

No offense, but I feel like that shouldn't be your decision to make. Some people only want to play with real people, and prefer filling extra spots with strangers. I'd rather take the gamble on a stranger in Left 4 Dead than keep the bot.

Taking away choices from the player isn't always best. You don't know what's most important to everyone, and that's (and I truly mean no offense) how a decision like no split screen happens to begin with, by taking away options because you have an idea of how everyone should experience the game instead of building it to be experienced however the player chooses.

Nope.

Bolded for why.

Thank you. Campaign matchmaking is sometimes useful, most times horrendous. Destiny is a fine example of being matched with thumbless idiots.

Finally got a chance to watch with sound.

I'm gonna need every hype gif you gif types have, because mine is at MAXIMUM

EDIT: And another vote for Campaign MM. If we want to play with shitty wastes of oxygen selected at random by a malevolent god to inflict maximum misery, we should be able to. This ain't Destiny.

solis74

Liked that little intro animation
1442257652-halointro.gif

sweet!

Razdek

Banned
No offense, but I feel like that shouldn't be your decision to make. Some people only want to play with real people, and prefer filling extra spots with strangers. I'd rather take the gamble on a stranger in Left 4 Dead than keep the bot.

Taking away choices from the player isn't always best. You don't know what's most important to everyone, and that's (and I truly mean no offense) how a decision like no split screen happens to begin with, by taking away options because you have an idea of how everyone should experience the game instead of building it to be experienced however the player chooses.

I agree, what's with these developers who don't even give you the option. They're just like bungie with no matchmaking for raids and nightfalls and people having to create the functionality for them. That is just lazy thinking.

RoKKeR

Ah well, guess I'll just try and find a decent bundle then, bummer. Thanks ya'll. I don't buy any physical anymore so that sounded really appealing.
Going out on a limb here, but I'd bet there are going to be a lot of great bundles/deals this holiday...

I agree, what's with these developers who don't even give you the option. They're just like bungie with no matchmaking for raids and nightfalls and people having to create the functionality for them. That is just lazy thinking.

Matchmaking for raids is a terrible idea.

I'm actually pretty gutted it wont have public matchmaking for co op in the campaign.

I dont get why its not just there and people can choose to use it or not.

This game looks like it could have a lot of 'holy shit, did you just see that' moments and though the AI might be good enough to help you clear a level, they aren't going to get excited or shout Xbox record that when something cool as fuck happens.

More choice is always good.

The demo at E3 looked way worse image quality wise.

Compared to this? I thought it didn't look really bad, except for the AA. It clearly has been improved a lot. But aliasing is still visible, would be great if it could look just as clean as Halo 4, AA wise.

Is it known how many MP maps there will be? I hope a lot proper maps, not the Forge maps. God i really disliked them in the beta, these Forge maps are just so bland and boring looking compared to the non-Forge maps.

It's shame we don't get co-op matchmaking. I liked playing with randoms in Reach, and nowadays I don't have that much time to play, so I can't organize playing sessions.

Stinkles

We're not "taking it away" - we made a decision early in dev to focus on other features, following long conversations about the pros and cons of MM co-op. In the end it was decided that effort and time were better spent on other features you will use more.

It would be a nice to have but ultimately it's a resource balancing issue and there are more important features.

Although the next three pages are going to be about how vital it is.

Our AI players behave like "real" players, and are likely to be cleverer and more helpful than a lot of random "real" players. I think it will make more sense when you see how the AI works in practice.

Not dismissing the feature at all, just explaining the reasoning. We're not removing the option, it was never implemented to begin with.

Pre-Covenant Sangheili ruins: Neat. Always wanted to see that stuff, and what they were like before the San'Shyuum. And also what they'll turn themselves into post-covenant, once the fighting dies down.

halo-5-guardians-cinel7k8a.png

Aw he dead

I love how not a single member of Blue Team is grabbing for their gun. They are giving off that 'Awwww son, you just came to the wrong neighborhood'. You can almost feel Locke shake with weapon in hand.

Vire

We're not "taking it away" - we made a decision early in dev to focus on other features, following long conversations about the pros and cons of MM co-op. In the end it was decided that effort and time were better spent on other features you will use more.

It would be a nice to have but ultimately it's a resource balancing issue and there are more important features.

Our AI players behave like "real" players, and are likely to be cleverer and more helpful than a lot of random "real" players. I think it will make more sense when you see how the AI works in practice.

Not dismissing the feature at all, just explaining the reasoning. We're not removing the option, it was never implemented to begin with.
Doesn't Halo have infinite budget? Where's my split screen.

This a better response than the first one, which came off like "we know what's best for you, so we just decided not to put it in". Its more like "we can only do so many things, and with the AI commands in place, it was just one of those things that we decided not to do"

So they will help me go through campaign on Legendary? If true then great, though I miss meeting new people.

Stinkles

This a better response than the first one, which came off like "we know what's best for you, so we just decided not to put it in". Its more like "we can only do so many things, and with the AI commands in place, it was just one of those things that we decided not to do"

Well that's the problem with the internet - inferring intent where non exists.

Frog-fu

Banned

I agree with you, but I can't help but feel the bold is some snipe at split screen, in which case I take exception to that sentiment.

I've been playing Halo since 2004 and I have played every campaign on release day with my brother using split screen. It's a tradition we've stuck to for over a decade and it is absolutely something I would consider vital to my ideal experience and I'm disappointed that tradition will end with Halo 5.

I know from talking to other people about it and the various Halo communities I frequent that there are many more like me. Perhaps not a majority, but certainly enough that it should matter.

Do you use lfg or some other site to find players? It's the same shit with randoms.

Destinylfg has always worked great for me, plus there's 7 of my friends who actively play also throughout the week. We're always using lfg to fill in the gaps when all of us aren't on, and we've ended up making some really great additions to our clan through lfg.

Stinkles

So they will help me go through campaign on Legendary? If true then great, though I miss meeting new people.

Yes, and remember, you can give them orders - so you get stuck in a bottleneck and all your team gets killed, you can try something else next time - try flanking instead of getting into a vehicle, for example. It kind of helps eliminate the repetitiveness of tough spots in Legendary.

It makes a HUGE difference to both tactics/strategy and variety.

I agree with you, but I can't help but feel the bold is some snipe at split screen, in which case I take exception to that sentiment.

Wat? If you can find one post where I dismissed split screen as some trivial thing, then have at it. We have never diminished or dismissed how important that is to folks.

I always play the Campaigns Solo my first time through, it ain't no thang! But honestly, I have never seen Matchmaking for Campaign in any Halo game... ever. Not even Firefight in Halo Reach had matchmaking, as much as that sucked not having it.

jem0208

Destinylfg has always worked great for me, plus there's 7 of my friends who actively play also.
How exactly is finding random people on the Internet different to finding random people through matchmaking?

I always play the Campaigns Solo my first time through, it ain't no thang! But honestly, I have never seen Matchmaking for Campaign in any Halo game... ever. Not even Firefight in Halo Reach had matchmaking, as much as that sucked not having it.

Reach had matchmaking for both campaign and Firefight.

Top Bottom