• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Campaign Info Post - Building an Epic Campaign

IronWarrior

Neo Member
I didn't have an issue with Bloom, myself. You just had to take your time. But I can see why this would piss people off compared to the rest of the series where as long as your target was red you can just blast away.

This is hilarious. Also the best thing to happen to Ghosts.

The problem that bloom presented was that in that gfy due to the random nature of the spread, those shots could have hit (although not often), so it sometimes made it frustrating when you got 5-shot and the other person was just spamming the trigger.

That gfy hugely exaggerates the problem, since a skilled player would properly time their shots, just as they would lead their shots in Halo3/H1.

In my opinion you should have used the phrases "upwardly dynamic," "heavenwardly orientated," and perhaps "more jumpier."

But really, even though verticality sounds a tad buzzwordy, it's succinct and accurate. That leaked Blue Team footage sold me.

343's war on horizontality is DISGUSTING and I shan't support it. End orientationism now.

Man, we've been hooked on "verticality" since Titanfall launched - catch up!

[and I do mean up]

Sai

Are there many instances per level where you can perform that action? Is it safe to assume that if there's a cracked wall and I can see beyond it, I can smash through it or am I going to end up randomly smashing into non-breakable walls?
Breakable areas we've seen so far have been pretty obvious. I'm sure the Artemis thingamajigger Team Osiris has will make them even more obvious.

That gfy hugely exaggerates the problem, since a skilled player would properly time their shots, just as they would lead their shots in Halo3/H1.
And I liked those aspects. Got used to leading, and timing my shots and excelled because of it.

Lot of core Halo players detest any random elements in these games' multiplayer though, and that extends to the more random nature of the automatic weapons.

Chris Haluke – Campaign Lead Designer said:
Player choice is a huge part of any Halo campaign and with Halo 5, we wanted to expand the possibility space for players. Do you want to play the mission with vehicles or on foot? Do you want to explore every nook and cranny of the environment to discover tactical options and other hidden goodies, or do you prefer to race ahead by taking the most direct path? Will you jump into battle and lead the way, or take a more careful approach by ordering your Fireteam to clear out the enemies ahead? Each of these options plays out differently as the game reacts to your choices; that’s the beauty of the Halo sandbox.
YGR9hbf.gif

Player choice is a huge part of any Halo campaign and with Halo 5, we wanted to expand the possibility space for players. Do you want to play the mission with vehicles or on foot? Do you want to explore every nook and cranny of the environment to discover tactical options and other hidden goodies, or do you prefer to race ahead by taking the most direct path? Will you jump into battle and lead the way, or take a more careful approach by ordering your Fireteam to clear out the enemies ahead? Each of these options plays out differently as the game reacts to your choices; that’s the beauty of the Halo sandbox.

That also perfectly describes Halo CE for me. Music to my ears.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This looks good. Really good.

I love how fast, fluid, and crisp everything is. You can tell this game just "feels good" to play. And I was pleasantly suprised by the visuals -- they look damn good for a 60FPS shooter. Hype level rising, for sure.

Interesting level design. Shortcuts aren't too obvious and give better higher ground advantage. Nice ledges to clamber up to and enemy human dialogue is a right welcome plus a refreshing sound design to enemy shouts getting hit or dying. Nice work 343.

I wonder when the UNSC soldiers get involved aiding Team Osiris against blue team?

singhr1

The problem that bloom presented was that in that gfy due to the random nature of the spread, those shots could have hit (although not often), so it sometimes made it frustrating when you got 5-shot and the other person was just spamming the trigger.

I'm fine with changes to increase the skill-gap so that individuals who don't pace their shots are punished. I personally thought bloom was "fine." It's like having to lead your shots in H3, something you learn to live with.

There are other ways to increase skill gap though, which 343i are exploring it seems like. This includes a large decrease in aim-assist, especially when compared to H2A and H4, knowing when it is appropriate to sprint, knowing the nooks and crannies around the map to get to your enemy, etc.

Vinc

Dynamic 1080 is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally great news, much better than expected if they raelly maintain it more than half the time and it doesn't go too low.

And I basically skimmed through the campaign mission footage because I want to avoid spoilers as much as possible, but it looks so good. I'm really loving everything I'm hearing about this game lately, and that makes me so happy!

So Jackals are speaking English too? Ive heard something like "chaarge" from them.

They've spoken broken to somewhat decent English in the EU, just never in-game so far that I can recall save for maybe one or two words, at most. They also can't pronounce the letter "F" properly.

The worries of linearity in halo have existed since pre-halo 3. It's too hard to tell if the game will be linear until it is released but since it's halo, you can be damn sure someone will mention it.

I don't understand the worries even if they were true. Halo is, at it's heart, an action adventure game. You move from combat sandbox to combat sandbox along a mostly linear path. Complaining that Halo is too linear is like complaining that Mad Max: Fury Road was too linear. Yes, all you end up doing as a player is moving from point A to point B. Whether that involves walking, driving, or flying doesn't really matter. The real goodness comes from the experiences you have along the way.

Finally, Campaign news! I have been waiting for more info for a while and they did not disappoint.

The scale and verticality of the Swords of Sanghelios level is a great change of pace from the clustered environments of Halo 4. The amount of options you have going into combat and how to effectively deal with Covenant forces is ambitious and looks cool. What I really like though is that the grenades look to be effective once again. The frag and the plasma grenades were fucking useless in the Halo 4 campaign but their return to being effective crowd control tools is welcomed.

Cannot wait!

Papacheeks

Banned
The new one is going back to what made Halo popular in the first place, abilities on the map that people will fight for, even starts, map control, weapon control, etc. Thats how in was in Halo1, 2 and 3. If you dont like that, then you probably never liked Halo. And for people who want more chaos, theres Warzone. I can understand the Arena not being for everyone but Halo5 literally has something for everyone in the MP department.

SP we dont know much, but i cant imagine them not learning their lessons from 4 and MCC.

That;s complete shit. I loved Halo 1,2,3, not so much Reach multiplayer wise, but still felt good playing campaign, and the Firefight mode.

I played a lot of Halo 2, and 3 multiplayer. I enjoyed the oldschool feel the shooting had. So I would say I am a halo fan, just not one that loves everything that comes out with teh halo name.

Like I said this halo isn't for me, I admitted and said I'm happy for those who do like it. Don't go shitting on me saying I was never into halo?

Powerups and weapon control was not something I complained about? I complained about the change in hit detection-hitmarkers with now giving visual feed back ala COD. I also said I WAS NOT A FAN of the instant climb animation instead of timing your jumps like all quake based shooters including halo. I also wasn't a fan of the movement, and ADS that was there.

Monocle

I don't understand the worries even if they were true. Halo is, at it's heart, an action adventure game. You move from combat sandbox to combat sandbox along a mostly linear path. Complaining that Halo is too linear is like complaining that Mad Max: Fury Road was too linear. Yes, all you end up doing as a player is moving from point A to point B. Whether that involves walking, driving, or flying doesn't really matter. The real goodness comes from the experiences you have along the way.
Compare the level design of Bungie's Halos to Halo 4's if you want to understand the issues people have with linearity.

Compare the level design of Bungie's Halos to Halo 4's if you want to understand the issues people have with linearity.

Oh I'm well aware. That's why I explicitly said "combat sandbox to combat sandbox" not "cutscene to cutscene".

On topic: I wish they had a better box to build this on. The visuals look stellar, but I'm left feeling that with the resources and talent available to 343 they could produce some otherworldly visuals given a more competent hardware platform. Also, I'd prefer 30 FPS 1080p singleplayer (please don't snipe me).

Environments look absolutely incredible & I cannot wait to kill everything and explore Sanghelios for an hour unmolested.

OEM

I just read th blog, omg my hype for this game can not get crazier. Thank you 343 for listening to everything we asked for. Gun play looks dead on. Fucking too good.

Arena - checked
Big campaign levels - checked
Different routes - checked
Dedicated server for co-op campaign - checked
No room A to room B shooting enemies - checked

This is it folks. Halo truly evolved. Everything feels right this time.

Heeeey, they made the carbine smart scope a little less funky looking :)

Looks great. Phenomenal lighting, aesthetically it's quite beautiful. A few graphical things look a bit meh (waterfalls, some textures), but I'm impressed overall. I'll be playing multiplayer a vast majority of the time as per usual with Halo, but I think I'm gonna enjoy at least 1 campaign play-through with friends.

I don't understand how you can look at the media/information surrounding Halo 5, and conclude that it's the same as Halo 4.
It's obvious that there was a pretty serious postmortem within 343 Industries after Halo 4.

There seems to be major and minor revisions in every aspect of the sequel: gameplay, presentation, multiplayer, UI, music, sound, scale, maps, community interaction, etc.

Off the top of my head, here are some features that have been improved or added, based on direct feedback from the broad Halo community.

Solid 60 FPS (compared to unstable 30 of all past games)
Focused multiplayer (large pool of maps for a core set of experiences)
Larger campaign (various environments, open play spaces, Blue Team, Buck)
Competitive gaming (spectator mode, sponsored league/tournaments)
Community feedback (public Beta, informative bulletins, ViDocs, playable at events)
Additional 15 free DLC maps (doesn't split player base)
Dedicated servers (co-op campaign, online multiplayer, and custom games)
Cleaner UI and HUD
Improved forge (this is based off Frankie's statement, yet to be revealed)
Improved theater mode (including live spectating)

Obviously there have been some tradeoffs: no split screen, big team battle delayed, cosmetic microtransactions.

But the vast majority of complains regarding Halo 4 seem to have been addressed.

solis74

Just watched the gameplay video. Great level design with multiple path ways and open spaces, something Halo 4 was sorely missing. Also love the aesthetic of Sanghelios.

Halo 5 continues to look incredible.

'Also love the aesthetic of Sanghelios.' - This!

ShutterMunster

Hoping this SP experience isn't awful without friends, because linking up with three of my friends to play this game will be a nightmare. When I was younger hearing the whole thing was designed for co-op would have been awesome, but now I'm just like ughhh. Never thought scheduling would be such a big part of my gaming life, lol.

Footage looks great. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Welfare

With drop in co op being a thing, will Halo 5 have campaign matchmaking? I know Reach had it and it wasn't played that much after it launched, but it could just be another way for players to hook up with randoms and play some campaign.

They're saying all the right things, seemingly prioritizing the right things, and the gameplay video is super-promising. Feels like this will wash away the disappointment of playing through Halo 4.

Leyasu

Banned
With drop in co op being a thing, will Halo 5 have campaign matchmaking? I know Reach had it and it wasn't played that much after it launched, but it could just be another way for players to hook up with randoms and play some campaign.

I hope so. It is difficult getting people together for some co-op.

Still, I have added a few gaffers since I have been on here. perhaps I'll get some games going with them. I like to chill in a bit of co-op now and again.

Vire

How legit is that download only Xbox guys? I remember hearing about that a while back. I'm getting an Xbox for this game, but I should prolly wait right?

Kssio_Aug

How legit is that download only Xbox guys? I remember hearing about that a while back. I'm getting an Xbox for this game, but I should prolly wait right?

Not sure what happened to that rumor, but even if its true I don't think its happening too soon.

Akai__

It was debunked by Phil, but the MS event is on October 6th, I believe.

Your best bet is probably finding a good (and cheap) bundle.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
please tell me the coop multiplayer is MATCHMAKING unlike the MCC decision to stay friend list only.

I really do miss the reach MP capabilities.

Madness

Was just a rumor. I don't think we'll see it for at least a year. Especially because of the fact that Halo 5 comes with the 1Tb Locke styled console and thar they also are releasing the Elite console with 1TB SSHD. I doubt they'd jump to digital only anytime soon. You'd expect at least a 2TB+ SSHD or 7200rpm HDD at least for any digital console in the future, since you cannot expand the internal storage.

OEM

Its in works but no way its coming out this year. Next year.

please tell me the coop multiplayer is MATCHMAKING unlike the MCC decision to stay friend list only.

I really do miss the reach MP capabilities.

They said it will be on dedicated server but did not mentioned matchmaking for campaign. So I am guessing no :(

Foolishfellow
Banned

Well now that that's settled, back to discussion.

I know if I want it I should pre-order the limited edition at Gamestop, but if I get this new job I'll be missing midnight releases so I'd be stuck waiting until they open in the morning. So I'm considering taking my chances and seeing if Walmart, by some miracle, gets them in (I'll be getting off work at 1AM)

Then again as the date draws closer I might just forget that and pre-order anyway.

Vire

Ah well, guess I'll just try and find a decent bundle then, bummer. Thanks ya'll. I don't buy any physical anymore so that sounded really appealing.

LordOfChaos

Pre-Covenant Sangheili ruins: Neat. Always wanted to see that stuff, and what they were like before the San'Shyuum. And also what they'll turn themselves into post-covenant, once the fighting dies down.

halo-5-guardians-cinel7k8a.png

Aw he dead

Top Bottom