• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

I have no clue how it plays. But I looks fantastic. I love you created a snowy setting without abusing glazer flats and chunks. It makes for a very organic aesthetic.

Thanks dude - I've still got to colour the bases, add lighting, spawns, weapons, and all the really boring stuff, but the geometry is mostly done, aside from tweaks here and there.

I've added some screen grabs to the original post too.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this map I've been working on for BTB.

It's called Oversight.

I've done a quick video walkthrough - keen to know what people think.

Main objectives were a BTB map that's a little more old school, and I've thrown in some elements from Containment (switches that open the base main gate) as well as elements from Valhalla and other classic Halo maps.

Video Quality will improve once the video has processed.

Is it symmetric or asymmetric?

Couple things that stick out is that it's really open vertically, so i dont' think a Banshee will be fun to fly or fight on it. Could solve that with vertical geometryof some kind within the map if the Banshee was really important to the way the map played.

Aesthetically it looked like sand more than snow to me. Maybe change the filter around to make it more blue and less red.

Not sure how it'll play either but the caves and overlapping terrain could create interesting infantry routes.

I'd also avoid picking a name with potentially negative connotations.

Couple things that stick out is that it's really open vertically, so i dont' think a Banshee will be fun to fly or fight on it. Could solve that with vertical geometryof some kind within the map if the Banshee was really important to the way the map played.

Aesthetically it looked like sand more than snow to me. Maybe change the filter around to make it more blue and less red.

Not sure how it'll play either but the caves and overlapping terrain could create interesting infantry routes.

Roughly symmetric. Like how Valhalla was, but only in the way the bases were laid out. Weapon placement is all up for debate really, including the banshee.

Oversight has negative connotations? What am I missing? :/

FyreWulff

I'm sure I'll get used to these controls eventually but I sort of wish there was a toggle where you could activate "reach forge controls" so I could sling together a rough-out of the map before going into the current precision-oriented controls.

NOKYARD

I'm sure I'll get used to these controls eventually but I sort of wish there was a toggle where you could activate "reach forge controls" so I could sling together a rough-out of the map before going into the current precision-oriented controls.
You will get past this phase in a few days and never look back.

I have a trick for bases which i will go over in my stream tonight but i have not tested it on geometry. It should work on Flats and other symm pieces but not on items like Slope Helpers.

I am also going to cover how to block out the wall behind incoming players in Breakout, and how to disable the starting Spawns after the first few seconds. Tonight around 7PM EST.
This is happening now. http://www.twitch.tv/nokyard

Roughly symmetric. Like how Valhalla was, but only in the way the bases were laid out. Weapon placement is all up for debate really, including the banshee.

Oversight has negative connotations? What am I missing? :/

I'd go with something like "Overlook" or "Overwatch" - "oversight" implies a lack of supervision. Semantics, really.

nillapuddin

anybody ...

a.) online
b.) has set up cameras before
c.) wouldnt mind helping me for a few minutes
d.) wants to jump around on Turf with me

?

msg gt: nillapuddin626

finishing spawns/obj on Turf

The Kree

Banned
I wish more people would try to put a fresh visual spin on remakes like the one above instead of going for pixel perfect remakes.

link1201

I wish more people would try to put a fresh visual spin on remakes like the one above instead of going for pixel perfect remakes.

I would really like to play it. I love the idea of Sanctuary in winter. I hope they do add textures eventually though.

Pit Re-imagining someone made for Breakout. Pretty close to what I imagined pre-launch of a remake in this aesthetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S13uYDA4kJI&feature=youtu.be

This seems really well made, I wonder if it plays well outside of breakout as well.

Whoa, that looks spot on.

Alright I am finally done with this map. Almost used up all the items i could.

Name: Sacellum

Description: Sanctuary Remake

Walkthrough here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vWcKpUiMrs

Forge hub Link [screenshots]: http://www.forgehub.com/maps/sacellum.984/

This looks really nice, and I'm guessing will play well. I'm gonna DL and give this a spin soon!

Just a random thought though, the front ramps of the base may look kinda cool if they were breakout ramps. It would blend well with the colors used for the bases IMO.

Anyways, can't wait to try this out.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'd appreciate any feedback on this map I've been working on for BTB.

It's called Oversight.

o1ic6qo.png

YJYVF4p.png

WRacUvv.png

I've done a quick video walkthrough - keen to know what people think.

Main objectives were a BTB map that's a little more old school, and I've thrown in some elements from Containment (switches that open the base main gate) as well as elements from Valhalla and other classic Halo maps.

Video Quality will improve once the video has processed.

Haven't watched your fly through yet but I love the look of the bases

Trup1aya

I'd go with something like "Overlook" or "Overwatch" - "oversight" implies a lack of supervision. Semantics, really.

Oversight implies the presence of supervision... ('Lack of oversight' would Imply lack of supervision)

Oversight can also mean a careless error...

Either way, I don't see an issue with having a word with a negative connotation be the name of a map.

To me it just looked like their hand recently been snowfall on a rocky beach...not every place that gets snow is an artic tundra. I find it refreshing to see maps that bring such weather to unique places.

Unstable

Finally have some free time after all the holiday shenanigans and got the Forge itch. So any fellow forgers want to join me in making a map? Anything is improved with friends! GT is Unstable H2o. Feel free to add me and/or send me a message!

Oversight implies the presence of supervision...

Or a careless error...

Either way, I don't see an issue with having a word with a negative connotation be the name of a map.

Well there's no rule of course, but I personally wouldn't pick a map name that could be used against the map if it ended up being unpopular (unless it's intentionally done for comedic effect).

To me it just looked like their hand recently been snowfall on a rocky beach...not every place that gets snow is an artic tundra. I find it refreshing to see maps that bring such weather to unique places.

The color balance doesn't appeal to me given the shade of the rocks and the bases. It would definitely pass as a beach, but a snowy beach would be better represented by the asteroid pallet IMO.

Again, that's not to say that's the only way to do a beach or snow. I think the visuals contrast would match cleaner is all, although I can see why snow would be preferred to a beach to preserve the Containment vibe.

op_ivy

I've just about blocked out my map. All that's left is geo clean up, adding some columns, and decorators/lighting. Buuuut I also just hit 101% on my lightmap budget. I know you can turn off the shadow baking on objects to reduce the light map load, but what kinds of objects benefit from this? Lastly, saw a forgehub video that ultimately sai dont worry about the lightmap budget. Is there a point beyond 100% i should be worried about? Need some advice.

Raide

Made another BTB Map. Trying to work more on BTB CTF maps than my usual arena stuff and I think I am getting a hang of things.

Pretty basic clutter wise but it will be good to test it at some point to see if its fun.

Two temples (Of sorts) at either end, cliffs on each side overlooking a deeper valley. Underneath the cliffs are cut out zones which might be something a bit more interesting if I can work out some scripting etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Smar8tGS5w

Quick runaround video.

matthieuC

I've just about blocked out my map. All that's left is geo clean up, adding some columns, and decorators/lighting. Buuuut I also just hit 101% on my lightmap budget. I know you can turn off the shadow baking on objects to reduce the light map load, but what kinds of objects benefit from this? Lastly, saw a forgehub video that ultimately sai dont worry about the lightmap budget. Is there a point beyond 100% i should be worried about? Need some advice.
Yeah I hit 130% so I'd like to know as well.

I don't think it does anything other than the higher you are, the worse your shadows look. All the current BTB maps in MM are over 100% on the light budget if I recall correctly.

Finally coloured my BTB map Bases:

NZLFbuX.png

ULHOOAv.png

And my doors work! I wish you could script a "door opening sound" or some alarm noise or something :(

JaggedSac

Made another BTB Map. Trying to work more on BTB CTF maps than my usual arena stuff and I think I am getting a hang of things.

Pretty basic clutter wise but it will be good to test it at some point to see if its fun.

Two temples (Of sorts) at either end, cliffs on each side overlooking a deeper valley. Underneath the cliffs are cut out zones which might be something a bit more interesting if I can work out some scripting etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Smar8tGS5w

Quick runaround video.

I like it.

Magwik

Banned
Looks good but whhhhy? Swordbase is a bad map designed around jetpack. Without a jetpack, or at least the possibility if jet pack, it'll play so much worse.

I hate the random inclusion of the prophet hologram.
Swordbase actually has the potential to work really well within the H5 sandbox

Raide

I like it.

Thanks!

No idea what it will play like. I also toyed with the idea of making the caves under the cliffs unlock by doing something. Maybe timed to release more vehicles etc.

The terrain is just uneven enough to make driving funny, so the CTF side would be good if we get to test it at some point.

op_ivy

Swordbase actually has the potential to work really well within the H5 sandbox

Explain. I fail to see how always Sprint, thruster, and even clamber make the map navigatable to the upper levels. It'll still turn into lift camping without some heavy revisions.

FyreWulff

So, starting my first serious build today.. any particular reason the precising coordinate editing menu multiplies the on screen coordinates by 10x?

ie: on screen position X is 30.09, the object properties coordinates will read 300.9

So, starting my first serious build today.. any particular reason the precising coordinate editing menu multiplies the on screen coordinates by 10x?

ie: on screen position X is 30.09, the object properties coordinates will read 300.9

I think it's just a glitch, though you can also change the rate at which coordinates change via the precise coordinate menu by changing the move-axis (select an object with RB, hold L and then cycle with left and right on the D-Pad).

spent 30 minutes messing with groups and rotation and have found that it's impossible to mirror flip anything.

There's no feature that inverts coordinates, so there's no way to flip a group of pieces horizontally while retaining their positions. Nokyard pls

I'd have to manually invert all of the coordinates and then flip and rotate to retain their approximate positions.

Top Bottom