• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

Raide

FFIAMli.jpg

Done some tweaks to my Clash Valley map. Changing the look and adding some doodads around the map to make it look less like its floating in space. :D

16BitNova

Zoolader

uDsqV3f.gif

Pretty pleased with this I have to admit. This Forge iteration is just soooo good.

That looks good! I'm about ready to figure out the main gate scripting for my High Ground remake. I'll be teasing that map very soon. It's just been taking me so long to create since I'm trying to incorporate the preexisting beach and some terrain, rather than using a blank canvas.

Madness

Are forge textures even doable for the team especially several months post launch? Just wondering. Forge team is already pretty small part of studio, wonder if they'd be able to tackle something like that.

BraXzy

I can't even figure out how to make the flag appear on my Breakout map smh. I have the default CTF flag stand set to be included in Breakout. What do I need to do for a flag to show up on it?

belushy

Banned
Are forge textures even doable for the team especially several months post launch? Just wondering. Forge team is already pretty small part of studio, wonder if they'd be able to tackle something like that.

I think they said textures are definitely coming.

edit: Love the look of that base, Sik.

nillapuddin

had my first mini tests on turf, tf remix, foundation, fd remix...

everything went fantastic, so excited.

Will finalize named volumes, [things that dont affect gameplay] and other stuff probably tonight.

Then since its just us here, Ill let you guys know when the light is green to grab it out of my files.

Might be a few days til I do the big press release, forgehub, reddit, etc, but I want to get some more games on before I do that.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Would any GAF Forge experts be down to help me make a very bold/crazy map? Im not even sure it could be done TBH. It's based off Breakout and a very well known movie. I think itd be a blast to pull it off. Im okay at terrain, but havent even touched scripting. Also is despawning items still a thing?

BraXzy

Here's a super sneak peak at my Breakout map, when it was about 10 minutes old ;D

3heuYMD.jpg

I've done a bit more work on this tonight. Gonna try and have an 'alpha' version playable tomorrow so I can test out some stuff.

Not totally happy with some of it, might need to rework some stuff. We'll see. Absolutely love this Forge though, so many great pieces to use.

Omni

Okay, I finally downloaded the Forge update and gave it a go.

I don't even know where to begin. Literally. While I appreciate the improvements that I've read about, they really seemed to have thrown away the whole idea of "anyone can do anything". I didn't spent terribly long, admittedly, so I will try again tomorrow. But I feel lost. The controls didn't help one bit

FyreWulff

I don't even know where to begin. Literally. While I appreciate the improvements that I've read about, they really seemed to have thrown away the whole idea of "anyone can do anything". I didn't spent terribly long, admittedly, so I will try again tomorrow. But I feel lost. The controls didn't help one bit

I swear I'm not saying this to be snarky.. but Forge is pretty challenging, even for a game I don't plan on actually really playing, ever (was the same way with the Far Cry map editor, I think I've played a grand total of 3 online games across all Far Cry titles but made like 50 maps).

But this is definitely the direction Forge needs to go in to be useful. I think the only way you could go back to 3 or Reach era Forge would be to make the advanced editor the full map creation software suite that we can upload to an Xbox.

They could also maybe take a page from Timesplitters and make an alternative tile-based map editor that would let you make maps out of prefab rooms.

One thing that bugs me is the geometry at times isn't the same colour. I can't figure out why that is. Like some of the snow is white, and some goes grey. Frustrating.

Trup1aya

One thing that bugs me is the geometry at times isn't the same colour. I can't figure out why that is. Like some of the snow is white, and some goes grey. Frustrating.

I'd don't think it's really snow... It's like ice (glacier), and it changes color automatically depending on the the canvass beneath it.

nillapuddin

okay guys, its later than I thought, I would have loved to have this during the day, but I think all 4 of my maps are ready for very limited alpha distribution, Im not going to advertise these versions. But for my fellow forum mates and the waves of lurkers that add me all the time, Im putting these out there for playtest and feedback purposes

Consider nothing in concrete, and no the Turf doors arent complete yet. Ive been dilly dallying and havent got around to finish them yet

gt: nillapuddin626

Turf1: Turf remake, Slayer, CTF, Strongholds

TurfRemix1: Mirrored Turf with 2 of everything + new center, can work for 8-16 players. Slayer, CTF

Foundation1: Foundation remake, Slayer, CTF, Strongholds

FoundationRemix1: Foundation + new geometry, Slayer, CTF, Strongholds

For my remixes I wanted to keep alot of the originally geometry and just tweak the map to change how it plays, so dont expect radical changes, thats not what I was going for, I still wanted them to feel like the original.

IHaveIce

Banned
Woah you guys are doing amazing work already.

Nutter I really love your Sanctuary take hope it gets into MM

I also love The Pit as a Breakout map, fantastic choice. Will also hope to see it in MM.

What I don't want to see in MM is a Spire remake, please don't.

Is anyone willing to help me out?

It looks like I fell victim to not putting a spawn point in the map before I saved and exited Forge. My map is nowhere near complete, hence me not setting that up yet. But now I'm on the map, but am stuck in one position not able to do anything. Read you can have someone join your game and help get you out of it.

Can anyone volunteer to help me out? Gamertag: Dakula

nillapuddin

Is anyone willing to help me out?

It looks like I fell victim to not putting a spawn point in the map before I saved and exited Forge. My map is nowhere near complete, hence me not setting that up yet. But now I'm on the map, but am stuck in one position not able to do anything. Read you can have someone join your game and help get you out of it.

Can anyone volunteer to help me out? Gamertag: Dakula

dont see option to join? added you to try and help out

edit:
joined, sry mate, i think ur shit is fucked

Friend of mine had a little suggestion for my map - I've moved the generator for each base and incorporated the moving cover from Eden. After a little scripting, it looks really good.

Trup1aya

I've always ignored forge in previous games because I found it was to tedious to create anything of substance... I picked up the controls in this forge in about an hour...once I wrapped my head around the idea that my cursor was more like a PC mouse,, with right bumber being left click, it all made perfect sense.

nillapuddin

Idk how many of the people adding me are lurkers, but if you can post, and check out the maps, drop me a line on here with your thoughts, thanks

DesertFox

Trying to load up my last save... "Retrieving data".

I'm fucked aren't I?

:'(
You should be ok to load and edit your map, but you will not be able to use the "Save As" feature to create a backup of your map. My map Arsenal is currently plagued by this bug, even though it's finished I hope forge gets an update to fix this issue.

You should be ok to load and edit your map, but you will not be able to use the "Save As" feature to create a backup of your map. My map Arsenal is currently plagued by this bug, even though it's finished I hope forge gets an update to fix this issue.

What the hell? It's been fine for weeks. I can indeed load it just fine, but does that mean I can't make any changes? Or save any new creations? Have 343 acknowledged the issue?

Speaking of Ivory Tower:

Well, dicking around in Forge only got me so far, so I decided to start "blocking out" map layouts before I actually attempted putting together my maps. The "easiest" one, mechanically speaking, would probably be a map I've thought about doing since Halo 4. I'm calling it Nightingale for now, but it's a symmetrical 4v4 map optimal for objective gametypes (though Slayer would probably be fine on it), inspired loosely on Reflection, specifically (that is, not Ivory Tower).

KEY
- Lowest level is darkest, highest level is lightest.
- The small diamond shapes throughout the maps are pillars and columns.
- Black spaces represent inaccessible parts of the map that are filled in; likewise, the thick 6px black lines represent walls, while the smaller lines throughout the map are just intersecting shapes, grooves in floors, etc. from when I was doing the 2D block-out.
- Small blue diamonds are grav lifts.
- Pale teal diamonds are teleporters.
- Big magenta squares represent a death pit; the square in the middle represents an Ivory Tower-style three-tier lift.

Level 1
AGo4ziQ.png

Level 2
KxmqxSl.png

Level 3
hILOBss.png

Levels 1 & 2:
qvPM12Y.png

All three levels overlaid:
CYPnHdq.png
Nightingale takes Reflection's aesthetic in a slightly more sci-fi direction with more natural elements and greenery, floating metal monoliths you can use to hop up to higher levels, etc. and Level 2's central hall is actually set up like a bar. Inside the bar, there's a switch behind either counter that will seal up its respective side's Ivory Tower lift chamber and despawn all of the floating platforms before respawning shortly after, killing anyone inside. The wall between the central bar and the Ivory Tower lifts are glass, so you can actually keep tabs on their usage.

This is the first real competitive map I'm planning on building - I built a ton of stuff in Halo 3 and Reach, though it was mostly casual stuff for dicking around like Demolition Derby maps. I spent a while trying to make sure the sight lines tackled areas of importance appropriately, and while it seems pretty tightly-packed, it's fairly open vertically. On top of Reflection, it also takes inspiration from Damnation, Construct, Sanctuary, and Truth. I know it's hard to judge elements of maps based purely on layouts like this, though any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

BraXzy

Has anyone compiled a list of Gamertags and the maps they have made? I'm seeing a bunch of cool remakes but then having to figure out who has made them and then add them and download it.

Top Bottom