• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

FyreWulff

Only thing I could think to do is spawn every vehicle and delete-all-of-these on each of them to see if the warthogs became something else

otherwise yeah I guess you have to move the map itself.

it can probably happen like how certain skybox elements in Halo 3 Forge counted against your Forge budget and object limit (ie The Pit) and you couldn't highlight those objects with the monitor even if you got out there, iirc. They stopped that practice with Reach but I imagine the code that was there for that still lurks

BraXzy

yup

edit: just lost last 40 minutes of progress due to random disconnect, fascinating. thanks game.

I had that issue with some Forge pieces and the select all > delete ignored them too.

Not sure if you've tried this, but building lighting fixed the problem for me and they were back to normal. Worth a shot?

Madness

Do you guys think a Community 'Playlist' that is social and not ranked, is a good idea? I mean I'm seeing your work, the work on forgehub and reddit and a lot of quality maps are made. Would it benefit you guys if let's say a Playlist was a community cartographer/Forge Playlist, which wouldn't emphasize strict win/loss, competitive play, but functioned more like a chance for you to get feedback, see what works and what doesn't and then fans can vote for their favorites so that eventually they get added into Arena/BTB rotation?

Ie. Every week 5-6 maps that you guys submitted are picked for play.

FyreWulff

Do you guys think a Community 'Playlist' that is social and not ranked, is a good idea? I mean I'm seeing your work, the work on forgehub and reddit and a lot of quality maps are made. Would it benefit you guys if let's say a Playlist was a community cartographer/Forge Playlist, which wouldn't emphasize strict win/loss, competitive play, but functioned more like a chance for you to get feedback, see what works and what doesn't and then fans can vote for their favorites so that eventually they get added into Arena/BTB rotation?

Ie. Every week 5-6 maps that you guys submitted are picked for play.

This is what the community map playlists were supposed to be in Reach. The public would hammer on submitted maps that made it past the first few gates, and then they would graduate out to the regular playlists if they survived that one. And since the playlists only lasted a week, it didn't matter if a map had a critical bug exposed since it'd go away shortly anyway.

Raide

Varies based on layout, sightlines, etc. Do you have any screenshots or layout pics?

One thing to consider is how the weapons work relative to the map elements made with Spartan Abilities in mind, too - something like The Rig is clearly designed with SAs in mind and as a result has a bunch of wiry branching paths, open-and-shut sightlines, tight corridors branching together larger areas, etc. that make the Plasmacaster and Scattershot very effective. On the other hand, a map like Fathom has a lot of very predictable, long, linear lines of sight that stretch across the majority of the map - meaning something like the Railgun is actually something teams will attempt to utilize as opposed to, say, an Energy Sword.

I will try and get an image or video up. A little tricky to get a good layout pic in one. :D

Ice drop looks like Sidewinder and Gephyrophobia had a baby. Really well designed and it really does feel like a CE map, they need to put that in matchmaking, replace Antifreeze, because that map is trash.

I gave Facing Worlds II a visual overhaul:

Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/vyk49

The map is set up for both Team Slayer and Capture The Flag. There are no other gametypes that will feasibly work on it. I really want to play test this soon! I'm loving this forge!

I finally got a playtest in with some awesome community members. 4vs4 CTF. Facing Worlds is actually pretty damn fun. I thought the map would play like trash in Halo, but it ends up being very interesting. Especially with ground pound. CTF was pretty much grab flag, take teleporter to the top, ground pound nearly to the other end of the map. The trick was actually working your way into the base haha. Spawns were a little finicky at times, but still okay for the most part.

I still wouldn't recommend anybody to put it in their rotation to play with buddies though haha. Just an interesting experiment.

Also, that Ice Drop map posted earlier gives me super huge nostalgia pangs. That map screams CE.

yeah thats the only conclusion I can come to also

Im just going to finish the map, and move the whole damn thing, I dont see any other option

I was able to move the map up over them luckily so they dont stick out, but its still not ideal, you can get in through the floor

Did you try destroying them and then letting them respawn?

nillapuddin

(late last night)

session 4
BdiRMzp.jpg

Geo-complete in 15 hours~

Thoughts:
* Can't use those lights even though they are perfect because they have a huge invisible barrier around them that makes it too clunky for gameplay I think.

* I think I have a map theme to in mind, will have plenty of budget to explore with.

* Indecisive about final color choices (Turf=Dark Gray, Turf Remix = Black, Foundation = Black, Foundation Remix = White) I dont want to only have neutral primaries, idk.

* Started thinking of the remix, nothing jumping out yet. Just came to me, sounds crazy though..

Remaining:
Crates, containers, extend-a-bridge, weapons/spawns/etc, pillars under the dock

Raide

Had a weird thought for a gametype in Halo but the more I thought about it, the more I figured it won't work :D

I think I will modify it into a 4v4 map though, since the principle of it could work.

* Indecisive about final color choices (Turf=Dark Gray, Turf Remix = Black, Foundation = Black, Foundation Remix = White) I dont want to only have neutral primaries, idk.

I really liked the brown color you chose back in your screenshot from session one, why did you decide to change it?

Raide

A 2v2 (Or it could potential work with more) mode where 1 player becomes an Overwatch (Cannot think of another word) and they spawn pretty high up but they can see the entire map. Its their job to direct the other team member to the end and kill their enemy. (Probably works better with voice but I thought of something the OverWatch could shoot or activate that marks the map. Could just be colour coding or something, I dunno! I could also not figure out how to force the loosing player back into the next zone if the winner makes it lol. )

Spawn is pretty long but if you make it to the end, the ground member ports to the next section which is the Overwatch position and the previous Overwatch goes ground level.

Part of me was thinking about how the early Gear co-op worked by splitting the team but having them cross over to provide cover etc.

Might just try and make the map and see if the basic principle works.

Probably just my braincrap flooding out lol.

Madness

This is what the community map playlists were supposed to be in Reach. The public would hammer on submitted maps that made it past the first few gates, and then they would graduate out to the regular playlists if they survived that one. And since the playlists only lasted a week, it didn't matter if a map had a critical bug exposed since it'd go away shortly anyway.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I mean rather than having to add tons of different friends and only play custom games, having hundreds of various players of all skill types get matches on your maps, would provide tons of feedback. Flaws or issues could be seen and talked about and changed for subsequent releases. If it's a major hit with fans, it's polished and moved to full rotation. Maybe next game. I wonder if their Forge, community or map/arena guys are skimming the various communities, seeing some of these created maps for themselves.

I know, needs some work.

Pretty impressive how closely we can emulate the UNSC theme though. We have

Forerunner
Covenant
Promethean
UNSC
Human (Merdian)
Tron
Natural
Urban

And a whole bunch of other themes to work with in this Forge, on top of the various palettes we can use:

Grass light
Grass dark
Beach
Snow
Glacier
Desert
Volcano
Space

This Forge is amazing and they haven't even added stuff to it yet.

Karl2177

Going off of the Halo 5 concept of remixes, I decided to remix my map. I was debating on starting on another remake of a Reach map I had or doing a remix of Intercession. I ended up picking Intercession again since I had an idea at work. I didn't think it would work out too well, but I think I found a way to make it work. The man cannons that used to lead to the main bases now lead to the side bases.

Also, lighting is hella fucky. In some of these pictures, none of the lighting got applied. I also did the "Computron box" at (0,0,0) with all the walls being ice blue and reflections are this weird red color.

Original overhead:
intercession-overhead.png

Remix overhead:
intercession_remix-overhead.png

Overview from red base:
intercession_remix-red.png

New side base:
intercession_remix-yellow-side.png

Pillar changed to "telescope":
intercession_remix-telescope.png

Bottom base changed:
intercession_remix-bottom-red.png

I have to update the spawns, add in the new weapons/powerups, update callouts, and a couple other tweaks.

I've been working on this for a little while now. I decided to take a break from my Guardian remake as it was getting very tedious scaling everything correctly.

peXxDIT.jpg

I thought I'd share my Guardian remake of which I had posted some WIP images two weeks ago. It's been done for a while but I never got around to posting it. My original concept was to keep the dimensions, weapons and spawns exactly the same but I wanted to give my own spin to it aesthetic-wise and I like to believe I did a pretty good job.

Forgehub link and more info/screens

I'm working on improving the map mostly aesthetically and I will eventually get the wind turbine to actually move. Last attempt was eh... Welded objects and scripting is not very consistent

I've been working on this for a little while now. I decided to take a break from my Guardian remake as it was getting very tedious scaling everything correctly.

Total coincidence I was just posting about my Guardian remake as you posted hehe... Scaling was a real pain, I wanted to work on the aesthetics so bad but first I had to get the map right. BTW are those hexagonal-shaped steps in that screenshot of yours? Looks really cool.

nillapuddin

Session 5

75JlLye.jpg

I've placed 80+ spawns off to the side, so I've got about 100 objects left for aesthetics/weapons/zones.

Still have to design the extendable bridge though

nillapuddin

I'm going to be too busy this weekend to do any Halo really, but I'd appreciate it if some of yall could grab my turf/foundation+remix's and play a game or two, our even just jump around yourself.

I'm usually pretty good about organizing a test night, I just don't have the bandwidth atm.

They aren't 100% from a mechanical perspective (named volumes ,etc) which is why im not 'marketing them', but causal play should have no issues.

I'd love to hear any feedback yall have

Nillapuddin626

Speaking of that I could not do it correctly, I don't know what I did wrong lol

I was also trying to do it on Truth but they made it to where you can't generate lighting on the base maps....

I could be wrong, but I think it also has to do with just how close you place everything to the actual 0,0,0 coordinate. On one of my "workbench" / experimental testing maps I basically left enough space for a 4x4x4 block at that coordinate, put a bright white light in the middle and surrounded it with neon walls and it barely affected anything - presumably because you can't leave very much space between that 0,0,0 section for it to effectively build what I assume is a smaller cubemap.

DesertFox

Anybody know of any good tutorials on what material settings to use to best simulate Forerunner structures? Google is failing me...

Sloppy runthrough of my small-to-midsized objective map Nightingale: part one | part two

It's still in blockout phase, though i'm slowly starting to add in the "real" map elements, like you can see with the sports bar-styled midsection in part two. The only real changes I've had to make to the layout are expanding the sports bar section to be wider (roughly 64 units wide including its two 4-wide wall sections) in order to actually let players navigate it comfortably, and accommodating by adding in a little catwalk / extension to Elbow on either side. There are a bunch of jumps in the map (which you can see me fail repeatedly), though one important one i didn't show is that there's a Guardian-style jump you can do to get from base level 1 to base level 2, skipping the lifts entirely. Provided you aim it right, the central pillar thing in either courtyard is also set up such that you can jump directly from base level 2 to pillar to either midesection's "railing" without having to thrust or clamber.

Top Bottom